Selection Sunday 2015 Thread.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Selection Sunday 2015 Thread.

Post by CalStateTempe »

This day has captured the anticipation and joy of childhood christmas eve to christmas morning.

I can't wait for what come forth tomorrow at 7pm eastern. 17hrs to go...Time for bed!

I think UofA pulls out a #1 in the West. Bilas even said during the ACC game that now days to be considered a true conference champion, you need to win both the season and the tournament.

Dream scenario

East: Villanova/Gonzaga
Midwest: Kentucky/Kansas
South: Wisconsin/Virginia
West: Arizona/Duke
ASUHATER!

Re: Selection Sunday 2015 Thread.

Post by ASUHATER! »

All depends on the Wisconsin game.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

How bout us as the 1 and Kansas as the 2! That be cool.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Kansas should be a 4 seed in my opinion.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So if Duke gets a #1 over us, is it because they had better wins? Because that seems like the only possible rationale.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Beachcat97 wrote:So if Duke gets a #1 over us, is it because they had better wins? Because that seems like the only possible rationale.
Not better wins, just more of them. Duke was 11-3 vs. The top 50 rpi while we were 7-0. They played twice as many games so apparently that makes them better even without winning any conference titles.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

All 3 of our losses ended up being 100+ rpi losses. We were 17-0 vs. The top 100

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So this is likely going to be the rationale if Duke gets the #1. Our losses suck. Duke's were more respectable. I guess I can live with that as long as we're in the West region, and don't have to play UK or Wisconsin until the FF. Give me Nova or Duke.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Beachcat97 wrote:So this is likely going to be the rationale if Duke gets the #1. Our losses suck. Duke's were more respectable. I guess I can live with that as long as we're in the West region, and don't have to play UK or Wisconsin until the FF. Give me Nova or Duke.
Yeah those losses are killing us now. Even though we've won 17/18 games and 11 straight all anyone seems to see on our resume is the losses.

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Kansas isn't a 2
Duke isn't a 1

AZ stays in the west.

Oh, and what about gonzaga? If they're truly one of the top 8 teams in the country, don't they stay in the west?

If regional placement really holds as much weight as it's supposedly does, and winning the regular season and conference tourneys hold as much weight as has been claimed in the past...then isn't it AZ and Gonzaga in the West as the #1 and #2?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

based on the composition of the selection committee, i have my doubts that (m)any of them have even stayed up to watch our guys play this season. fortunately, Arizona's got the #4 bpi (better than 'nova and duke), beats wisconsin in the lunardi rpi formula, and the #2 spot in the kenpom rankings -- so hopefully, the committee will look a little deeper than merely "record vs. rpi top 25/50/100" and the nitty gritty report.

or, maybe they'll simply appreciate the regional elegance of: [west - Arizona], [midwest - wisconsin], [south - kentucky], [east - villanova] as the top seeds - underscoring proximity & placement, as PoM mentioned

or, maybe tom izzo's crew could make this easy for everyone and just win the b1g tourney tomorrow. :D
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

My prediction... Seed... 2... Region.... West.... Opponent... Eastern Washington
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I do not think there is any way KU is a 2 seed. Notre Dame replaced them on the 2 line tonight, and either them or Gonzaga should be placed in UK's bracket.

Duke does not deserve a 1 seed, but they will probably get it. They played in a brutal conference (that legitimately deserves 3 of the top 8 seeds), but not winning either the regular season OR the conference tourney (and having arguably the worst loss of the season among any 1-seed contenders) does not warrant the only 1 seed from the ACC. UVa deserves a 1, assuming that Justin Anderson is good to go - Duke does not.

If we are a 2, so be it. Give us Nova in the West.

Assuming we do not get screwed in the draw, I believe we are more likely to lose in the first weekend than we are the second. And I do not expect either to happen.

Rotation-wise, 1-9 this is the best team we have ever had, and that is saying something. I truly do not believe we have ever had a team that would beat this team in a seven game series, unfortunately, in a one and done format, anything can happen. This team plays to its potential and there is only one team that CAN beat us.
VoltronX

Post by VoltronX »

Harvey Specter wrote:I do not think there is any way KU is a 2 seed. Notre Dame replaced them on the 2 line tonight, and either them or Gonzaga should be placed in UK's bracket.

Duke does not deserve a 1 seed, but they will probably get it. They played in a brutal conference (that legitimately deserves 3 of the top 8 seeds), but not winning either the regular season OR the conference tourney (and having arguably the worst loss of the season among any 1-seed contenders) does not warrant the only 1 seed from the ACC. UVa deserves a 1, assuming that Justin Anderson is good to go - Duke does not.

Assuming we do not get screwed in the draw, I believe we are more likely to lose in the first weekend than we are the second. And I do not expect either to happen.

Rotation-wise, 1-9 this is the best team we have ever had, and that is saying something. I truly do not believe we have ever had a team that would beat this team in a seven game series, unfortunately, in a one and done format, anything can happen. This team plays to its potential and there is only one team that CAN beat us.

Except the 2001 team... Which severely underperformed... but was loaded up the arse with NBA talent..
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

VoltronX wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:I do not think there is any way KU is a 2 seed. Notre Dame replaced them on the 2 line tonight, and either them or Gonzaga should be placed in UK's bracket.

Except the 2001 team... Which severely underperformed... but was loaded up the arse with NBA talent..
Yeah, but Arenas was injured that game after a collision in the Final Four with MSU's Jason Richardson...IMHO, a healthy Arenas (and the refs actually calling fouls on Jason Williams) and we win the NC. Also, damned Dunleavy was unreal shooting the 3.

That loss still hurts even now :-(
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

ughhh...2001, my freshman year at Zona...never forget that team- that run - and that bs 'chip game. That was such a loaded team and yeah it still hurts. Damn dunleavy 3s are like daggers in my brain. Need to get that 2nd chip this year. I think we should get a 1 but I doubt we do. Oh well, 2 in the west is a good spot. Not worried about who the 1 is, though I'd prefer it not be wisky...nova, duke, virginia - bring it.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Is it possible that Arizona has done enough for a 1 seed?

BPI Ranking the tournament teams
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Once again our conference has done us zero favors.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

dirtbags wrote: or, maybe they'll simply appreciate the regional elegance of: [west - Arizona], [midwest - wisconsin], [south - kentucky], [east - villanova] as the top seeds - underscoring proximity & placement, as PoM mentioned
We keep hearing about the importance of the regional placement over the the old s-curve they used to use. If it's really important, then us winning and certain other teams losing *cough puke...err duke cough* really lets them do it.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

AZ will be the 1-seed West. This isn't the coaches poll or some bullshit, I give the committee a little more respect...I think a lot of them stayed up for the P12 title game and witnessed the dismantling we gave the Ducks on both ends. Going 31-3, reg season and tourney champs in emphatic fashion, our advanced metrics near the top, and being the sole dominant program in the West is enough to block some other east coast school getting shipped out and leading the charge for that Final 4 berth out of the West Regional. It'll be ours, we just gotta take that motherfucker. 3 games down, 6 to go!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Its going to be a long time to 7pm
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Luckily the 1 seeds are announced first.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:Its going to be a long time to 7pm
The selection show starts at 6 eastern on cbs.

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

AZ will be 1 west, complete lock.

If Wisky wins it'll be UK, Arizona, Wisky and Nova on the 1 line. If they lose then probably Duke gets the bump back up to the 1 line.

Either way Arizona will be sitting with the 1 West spot.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Espn story on those left out of the tournament
It all sounds so melodramatic, doesn't it? It's only a basketball tournament, one where just 20 percent of the teams that play can compete, and only 10 percent earn at-large bids. The odds are so wildly stacked against every coach, the ones who make it ought to be more shocked that they got in than the ones that don't.

But that's not how this works. Fair or unfair, the reality is college basketball success equals NCAA tournament bid. It's a formula as universally accepted as 1+1=2.

To make it as a player is to validate your season. To be left off, is to fail.

And to make it as a coach is the difference between an extension and a pink slip.

"In coaching the two worst things you can go through is the rejection of the tournament and being fired,'' Hinson said.

Not making it, of course, would be difficult even in anonymity, but the misery is in direct proportion to the publicity.

Once a cottage industry, bracket prognostication is now a full-on obsession. Starting in about mid-February, quality wins and quality losses become part of the lexicon, giving way to on the bubble, off the bubble and so on.

By the time Selection Sunday nears, predicting the bracket has become almost as popular as trying to win an NCAA pool.

"At 4 p.m. you're one of the first four in,'' said Arizona State coach Herb Sendek, whose Sun Devils had their own share of heartache in 2008 when ASU missed the tourney despite a 19-12 record. "By 4:26, you're one of the first four out and you flip the channel and you've fallen off the face of the Earth. I've learned, for me at least, it's better to watch Andy Griffith reruns.''

Flint didn't ignore it. He bathed in it. He'd sit and discuss his team's chances with his players, listen to every analyst, read every story. It wasn't curiosity so much as it was affirmation because he was that sure his Drexel team would get in the tournament.

Hinson listened, too, but with a little more edge because he was ticked that people discounted his team. He remembers Digger Phelps, who sat clearly on the anti-Missouri State side, declaring emphatically that one blind resume team clearly was a tournament team, only to find that the team was the Bears.

"I enjoyed that,'' Hinson said.

Greenberg knows how that feels -- now, from both sides. As a coach he'd hear the TV analysts debating his team's merits, each jab at his club's worth feeling like a personal assault.

And now he's doing the same thing, asked to weigh in on the cost of a bad loss, to distinguish blind resumes and argue who should be in and shouldn't be.
"It used to kill me when people said stuff like that, and now I have to say it about people who are my friends, that I admire and respect,'' Greenberg said. "It's really hard.''

It will happen again this year. Hinson knows it. He'll be on a treadmill or maybe in a sports bar, somewhere where there are televisions turned to college basketball news.

The conversation will turn to the inevitable snubs and he'll hear it: Missouri State, the team with the highest RPI to never make the NCAA tournament.

It's his scarlet letter, one he's pretty sure will be his for life. No matter what people think of the RPI, he can't imagine the committee will make that mistake again.

It's also the pit in his stomach that will never go away. He has since been fired, let go by Missouri State in 2008. That wasn't nearly as bad.

"OK, it's not death, it's not losing someone you love, not even close,'' Hinson said. "But as far as my profession is concerned, it was the absolute lowest moment of my professional career because we didn't just think we were in. We knew we were in. Then it was just boom. I will never ever forget it. Never.''

This Selection Sunday, Hinson will do something extraordinary. He'll watch the Selection Show, not just for who gets in but for who doesn't.And then in a day or two, he'll pick up the phone and call a coach.

"Hey buddy,'' he'll begin, "let me tell you a story ... ''

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=12461374

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Duke did not win ACC regular season or conference tournament. This matters to the committee
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We're getting Wiscy again
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Duke did not win ACC regular season or conference tournament. This matters to the committee
I hope it does, because even with more losses their resume is slightly better than ours.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I guess we already made it to the national title...

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Duke did not win ACC regular season or conference tournament. This matters to the committee
I hope it does, because even with more losses their resume is slightly better than ours.
Or maybe I'm wrong...
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Chicat wrote:
true, though Arizona lost by an average of 1 possession, whereas duke's loss margin was by an average of 4 possessions/10.5 points. take out the anomaly (4 point reg season loss to nd), and their avg loss margin bumps up to 5 possessions. granted, half of the blue devils' losses were at the hands of rpi 1-25 teams, but it sounds like their opponents have been winning fairly comfortably, so does it really matter if duke is being routed like that? if Arizona were to lose a game by 4-5 possessions, you know espn and the national media would be throwing around words like "blowout", "steamrolled", etc.

i know this is all preaching to the choir, but i do hope the selection committee takes a good hard look at duke today -- though i won't hold my breath.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

My take on the #1 seeds. For one the best reason to have a #1 see is that you don't get into UK's bracket. However UA is going to play out west in any case, especially winning the Pac-12. And this is what they should be.UK, UA, Wisky, and Nova.

It is true that UA lost to 3 teams who are lower than 100 RPI, but they also are on a winning streak. Virginia lost 2 of their last 3 and injuries are playing a factor. As stated by Chi Duke isn't as deserving as the media darlings believe. I do believe the committee will put an ACC team as a one seed, which would be Duke. I would love Duke to come out here west. All this stated I reiterate I'm fine with a two seed as long as we don't play UK (doubtful) and Wisky. I'm guessing we play Duke in the west, esither as a 1 or 2 seed.
Last edited by Catintheheat on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Main Event wrote:We're getting Wiscy again
If they win today I think they'll be a 1-seed along with UK, Nova, and us.

Duke, Zags, UVA, Kansas/Iowa State as the 2-seeds.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Scott Barnes, the head of the committee, said the top 2 seeds are very clear and that they are considering up to 6 other teams to put in the last 2 spots.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

He also said they don't really consider recent play as much as total body of work. Also meaning they would consider our bad losses more than our recent success
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Or maybe I'm wrong...
and duke didn't win their conference.

duke is not a #1

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

With a Wisky win I think the 1's will be Kentucky, Villanova, Virginia, and Wisky.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

#1's

Kentucky
Arizona
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

for a second there, i read "ville" as louisville and i nearly fell out of my chair
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Why would we get wisky again?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Why would we get wisky again?
If they were the #1 seed out west.
Salty

Post by Salty »

I would be shocked if we got a 1 seed. Doesn't seem like many experts expect us to either.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I believe that Wisconsin & U of A are #1 & #2 in the West, regardless - if the Badgers lose today, we might be the #1....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

If Arizona is the no. 2 seed in the west, what locations/ venues would they play at? This is probably already answered somewhere. Don't recall reading it anywhere.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Portland and los Angeles

prh

Post by prh »

HiCat wrote:If Arizona is the no. 2 seed in the west, what locations/ venues would they play at? This is probably already answered somewhere. Don't recall reading it anywhere.
West regional is at Staples Center. Sub round locations are Portland and Seattle, it seems pretty sure that we'll be heading to Portland. Gonzaga would headline the weekend in Seattle.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Portland and los Angeles

Thanks. Same as if they were No. 1.

Lunardi's March 15 possible match ups. Not too bad at the No. 2 slot

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ration/258
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Hello # 1! Three things:

...MSU leading by 11 with 9 minnies to go.

...We whacked the Quackers.

...If Wisky ends up in the West as 2, we go low post, low post, low post.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dammit my mother in law and wife are going to keep me from the selection show...potentially.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I still think we should be a #1 out west, and wisconsin should be a #1 elsewhere.

but I'm sure they'll dick around and for the rematch factor put wisconsin out int he west as a 1 and us as a 2