Selection Sunday 2015 Thread.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Selection Sunday 2015 Thread.

Post by rgdeuce »

Lol @ the committee sayin wisky was still a one over us if they lost. Cuz one game doesn't matter between two neck and neck teams? Especially when we blowout a team in our conference final?

Basically told us they mailed it in. They did a brutal job w seedings this year. How does wichita state get a 7 yet georgetowns a 4? How is UCLA even in?
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Agree- wichita st. as a 7 is brutal for the kansasss...but I love it. I think wich st. takes them out. Im hoping we get Ohio st. in rd 2, I really want revenge for that L a few years back
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Is it common for a team that didn't win their conference or conference tourney to get a 1 seed?
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

UAHATER! wrote:Gotta beat vcu, Baylor and Wisconsin To get rewarded with a final 4 vs. Kentucky. Wouldn't be surprised with a 2nd round or s16 loss with these matchups
Now I know why someone once called you a real debbie downer.

If Arizona doesn't at least make it to the Elite 8 I would be very surprised.
rgdeuce wrote:You are on crack if you dont think wisconsin is the second or third best team in the nation right now.
I say you are on crack if you don't think Arizona, the way its playing right now, isn't one of the top couple teams in America. We deserved a one seed but I don't mind a two seed in the west region. Now we got extra motivation, home field advantage, and possible revenge against a team we were one shot away from beating. We get a chance to really see how this team stacks up against last years and how much of a difference Brandon Ashley will make.
rgdeuce wrote:Lol @ the committee sayin wisky was still a one over us if they lost. Cuz one game doesn't matter between two neck and neck teams? Especially when we blowout a team in our conference final?

Basically told us they mailed it in. They did a brutal job w seedings this year. How does wichita state get a 7 yet georgetowns a 4? How is UCLA even in?
Which is it, is Wisconsin the second or third best team in the country OR are they lucky the committee gave them a one seed over us?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

the real dill wrote:Is it common for a team that didn't win their conference or conference tourney to get a 1 seed?
Not common but it's happened.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

But this thing is, Duke isn't THAT good.

Oh, well, they are going to make some S16 team really happy.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

WildHolcs wrote:Agree- wichita st. as a 7 is brutal for the kansasss...but I love it. I think wich st. takes them out. Im hoping we get Ohio st. in rd 2, I really want revenge for that L a few years back
Which begs the question, why is Kansas still a 2 seed? Keep losing with no impact to their seeding. Notre Dame certainly deserves a 2 seed over Kansas.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

rgdeuce wrote:Lol @ the committee sayin wisky was still a one over us if they lost. Cuz one game doesn't matter between two neck and neck teams? Especially when we blowout a team in our conference final?

How the NCAA allows conference tournaments to finish on Selection Sunday is beyond me. Complete bullshit and makes those championship games irrelevant (unless a winner would have been out of the field in which they HAVE to make a decision- e.g. UConn today had they won).
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I want a return of the S curve.

would've been a 1 with Virginia as our 2.

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tourna ... gy/detail/
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

NCAA gifting Arizona by rewarding Alford with a bid

Gotlib. ..smh
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

MrBug708 wrote:NCAA gifting Arizona by rewarding Alford with a bid

haha - contract extension?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Guys, maybe there is something I'm missing but when I look at our side of the West bracket I don't see anyone who is going to stop us up an until our match up in the EE.

Sure a team like Baylor will make it difficult at first with their superb match-up zone, but in the end we win that game by 10. We beat OSU as well because we’re just a better all around team with superb balance.

I see a few people freaking out saying this bracket is brutal. I don’t see any of that when I look down the potential list of opponents.

Holy crap if the truth be known, the other teams in the West are saying privately "holy shit" we have to play Arizona to advance. The Cats are a nightmare match up for most teams. Sure we have three stinker losses, but we are a vastly better team today than we were then.

Until we play Wisconsin I don't think there will be any doubts about who will be in control of the game while the Cats are playing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This is actually true. In my N of 2 message boards, UNC fan site things we are going to have a war with Wisky and the Duke fan site is happy the Zags are the 2 over us.

Fun time of year!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Guys, maybe there is something I'm missing but when I look at our side of the West bracket I don't see anyone who is going to stop us up an until our match up in the EE.

Sure a team like Baylor will make it difficult at first with their superb match-up zone, but in the end we win that game by 10. We beat OSU as well because we’re just a better all around team with superb balance.

I see a few people freaking out saying this bracket is brutal. I don’t see any of that when I look down the potential list of opponents.

Holy crap if the truth be known, the other teams in the West are saying privately "holy shit" we have to play Arizona to advance. The Cats are a nightmare match up for most teams. Sure we have three stinker losses, but we are a vastly better team today than we were then.

Until we play Wisconsin I don't think there will be any doubts about who will be in control of the game while the Cats are playing.
I only see one person freaking out, and he freaks out all the time. As Ragnar would say, he has the body of a man but the will of a little girl.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Cats at 15-1 odds to win it all. I don't normally bet, but those odds appear awfully inviting.

I have to give J-Will props. I thought he may have just been pandering to the locals when he showed us love on Gameday in Tucson - but just reiterated that he thinks Arizona is the only team that can beat Kentucky.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bilias is such a tool

UK vs Duke in the final.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Seth Greenberg has UK vs Arizona in the FF with UK winning
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Jwill, Uk vs arizona,

arizona wins, plays zags in the final...arizona winning the whole thing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Rece, UK vs Arizona,

UK winning and taking the title vs the Zags.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:Seth Greenberg has UK vs Arizona in the FF with UK winning
And J-Will joins Gottlieb as the 2 to pick someone other than UK to win it all, and they both pick the West Coast Wildcats.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Baylor would be a matchup nightmare for Arizona.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Vitale,

Arizona vs UK, UK wins and takes the title against Zags
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

ha, yeah just saw that...4/5 guys had us over wisky in the final 4 and jay will took us all the way...not that any of their analysis matters at all
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Man I wish we were #2 in the South.

I don't know why everyone jones's for the west bracket when it rarely does us any favors.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CalStateTempe wrote:Man I wish we were #2 in the South.

I don't know why everyone jones's for the west bracket when it rarely does us any favors.
I've only had a couple minutes to look at the brackets, but my early feel is we'd have both a better chance to get to the FF and the national title game as the two in either the east or south.
'ZONA97

Post by 'ZONA97 »

Salty wrote:Baylor would be a matchup nightmare for Arizona.
LMFAO. What are you basing this on?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As far as I'm concerned, this is an ideal bracket.

We get an Elite Eight rematch with the Wisconsin Kaminskies, a national semifinal against the team no one thinks can lose, and a possible national championship against a team we have history with (Duke, Nova, Zaga).

What better way to return to the loftiest heights of college hoops than by going through the most treacherous of mountains?

Not sure what's going to happen over the next two weeks, but I like our chances to get to Indy.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Beachcat97 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, this is an ideal bracket.

We get an Elite Eight rematch with the Wisconsin Kaminskies, a national semifinal against the team no one thinks can lose, and a possible national championship against a team we have history with (Duke, Nova, Zaga).

What better way to return to the loftiest heights of college hoops than by going through the most treacherous of mountains?

Not sure what's going to happen over the next two weeks, but I like our chances to get to Indy.
I like this Beachcat!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Jwsis, clearly my statement of saying wisky was the second or third best team means I dont think highly of us.......
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Beachcat97 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, this is an ideal bracket.

I don't know where you are getting this from. The bracket I'm looking at shows the Final Four matchs are West v South and Midwest v East.

That means we'll be playing Kentucky in the Championship match, assuming they get that far.

EDIT: I have been looking at the bracket on ESPN. The one on NBC shows it differently.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Here in the US its west vs Midwest on one side and east vs south on other side
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah it's west vs. Midwest. Don't trust the faulty foreign made brackets.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

It's no individual matchup I'm worried about--it's the body of them that concerns me could wear the Cats down before the FF.

There is the second-game opponent--VCU or Ohio State. VCU is tenacious and will require 40 minutes of our best D. Ohio State and old Miller mentor Matta took down Wisky and will certainly know how to play the Cats.

OK, get past that, and it's the Sweet 16 with four days to rest and prepare--either Xavier and Chris Mack with a chip on his shoulder and extra motivation to beat Sean Miller, or the mercurial but zone-perfect Baylor Bears playing, as young, reckless teams do, with a little something extra for the great Arizona.

Overcome all of those matchup challenges, and either deliberate Wisky Kaminsky awaits in the rematch, or Arkansas could get hot and make a run. UNC is extremely soft and undisciplined defensively and Oregon just doesn't have the inside game at all to be Elite Eight material.

Arizona getting to play Kentucky in a Final Four out of that bracket would be the greatest four-game run since '97 and truly a long-term goal earned for Sean Miller. Difficult to attain for a reason, but should not have been THAT difficult if the committee's seeding criteria is to be believed.

Speaking of the Devils, there's some funny love and some funnier money that has Duke as not only the third-best overall seed with Gonzaga as its toughest regional draw, but gives the Blue Devils a f*cking play-in opponent in Charlotte and has them at second-best odds to win the whole thing.

Almost as if someone lobbied extra hard behind-the-scenes this year to ensure Duke didn't repeat its two other first-round embarrassments this decade, and restore the "brand." In other words, something stinks to high heaven about this bracket.

Wisky, UK, Arizona and Virginia would all handle Duke. That South Region is an absolute oligarchic favor to Mike Krzyzewski.

Duke's toughest challenge will be a 4 seed Georgetown in the 16. Get past the Hoyas and K will roll the Zags, if they even get that far (lol at all the ESPN "experts" on the Mark Few FF bandwagon again).

But none of the teams face the Great West Weardown the supposed best 2 seed has to confront IMHO.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

Harvey Specter wrote:Cats at 15-1 odds to win it all. I don't normally bet, but those odds appear awfully inviting.

I have to give J-Will props. I thought he may have just been pandering to the locals when he showed us love on Gameday in Tucson - but just reiterated that he thinks Arizona is the only team that can beat Kentucky.
Just got to find a good site that offers that bet. I tried a few online sites and they weren't yet offering those kind of bets. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Wouldn't mind putting down 100 on Arizona for a chance to win 1500. Would probably also put a 100 down on Kentucky just in case.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Katzenfreund wrote: Image
This picture creeps me out.

One of those people looks far, far too into it, and the other really doesn't.

icky
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

catgrad97 wrote:
Duke's toughest challenge will be a 4 seed Georgetown in the 16. Get past the Hoyas and K will roll the Zags, if they even get that far (lol at all the ESPN "experts" on the Mark Few FF bandwagon again).
Even Dookie V is picking the Zags over Dook
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Katzenfreund wrote: Image
This picture creeps me out.

One of those people looks far, far too into it, and the other really doesn't.

icky
Basketball's Joe Biden.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That is not ok.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jwsisliving wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:Cats at 15-1 odds to win it all. I don't normally bet, but those odds appear awfully inviting.

Just got to find a good site that offers that bet. I tried a few online sites and they weren't yet offering those kind of bets. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Wouldn't mind putting down 100 on Arizona for a chance to win 1500. Would probably also put a 100 down on Kentucky just in case.
Down to 8-1.
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:That is not ok.
Ashley Judd agrees.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

WildHolcs wrote:Agree- wichita st. as a 7 is brutal for the kansasss...but I love it. I think wich st. takes them out. Im hoping we get Ohio st. in rd 2, I really want revenge for that L a few years back
Me too, this bracket could let us avenge both OSU and Wisconsin! Sweet :-)
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Wichita got screwed. Biggest diss of the bracket from what I can tell. But, just but, the committee seeded them that low to gift them with KU. Watch out, Bill Self, The Shockers are your worst nightmare!

What do you think the WSU reaction was: anger at being seeded so low, or joy that Self can't avoid them this time around?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

catgrad97 wrote:It's no individual matchup I'm worried about--it's the body of them that concerns me could wear the Cats down before the FF.

There is the second-game opponent--VCU or Ohio State. VCU is tenacious and will require 40 minutes of our best D. Ohio State and old Miller mentor Matta took down Wisky and will certainly know how to play the Cats.

OK, get past that, and it's the Sweet 16 with four days to rest and prepare--either Xavier and Chris Mack with a chip on his shoulder and extra motivation to beat Sean Miller, or the mercurial but zone-perfect Baylor Bears playing, as young, reckless teams do, with a little something extra for the great Arizona.

Overcome all of those matchup challenges, and either deliberate Wisky Kaminsky awaits in the rematch, or Arkansas could get hot and make a run. UNC is extremely soft and undisciplined defensively and Oregon just doesn't have the inside game at all to be Elite Eight material.

Arizona getting to play Kentucky in a Final Four out of that bracket would be the greatest four-game run since '97 and truly a long-term goal earned for Sean Miller. Difficult to attain for a reason, but should not have been THAT difficult if the committee's seeding criteria is to be believed.

Speaking of the Devils, there's some funny love and some funnier money that has Duke as not only the third-best overall seed with Gonzaga as its toughest regional draw, but gives the Blue Devils a f*cking play-in opponent in Charlotte and has them at second-best odds to win the whole thing.

Almost as if someone lobbied extra hard behind-the-scenes this year to ensure Duke didn't repeat its two other first-round embarrassments this decade, and restore the "brand." In other words, something stinks to high heaven about this bracket.

Wisky, UK, Arizona and Virginia would all handle Duke. That South Region is an absolute oligarchic favor to Mike Krzyzewski.

But none of the teams face the Great West Weardown the supposed best 2 seed has to confront IMHO.
I agree about our road. There isn't a certified cat-killer in the bunch til the Wisky matchup in elite 8, but that is expected in that game. VCU/Ohio State dont scare me, but I think either will be tough. Anytime you get a star, one of the 5 best players in the country that early, you probably are going to have your work cut out for you. The good news is, we have guys who will make his life tough. VCU has been up and down but you know they are going to turn up the pressure and make it tough on us too. Baylors zone will keep the game close. I've seen them a few times and they looked like a really tough teams. Then lose to some really bad teams in games I missed. Basically, after the Texas Southern game, take your heart medicine as a fan. Our guys are mentally tough though.

I disagree about Gonzaga though but we will see. That region is doo-doo IMO. And they get the softest of the one seeds. With all of their weapons and Duke's weaker defense, I am picking the Zags over them. Georgetown at the 4 is a joke IMO.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Dan Patrick picked Az to win it all
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:Dan Patrick picked Az to win it all
That settles it then. We're done this weekend.