Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Sage&Silver

Re: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Post by Sage&Silver »

The Rondae dunk reel set to Shimmy Shimmy Ya is in the works right?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Although Bill Walton and I suspect even CSM hated it.
I loved the Shimmy after the dunk tonight.

That was awesome. I think he was really pumped and also showing the Zoo some love.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

CBCat wrote:Although Bill Walton and I suspect even CSM hated it.

That was awesome. I think he was really pumped and also showing the Zoo some love.
Funny to hear Bill Walton admonishing someone for drawing attention to himself. :lol:
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Need a .gif of the post dunk shimmy.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

etank34

Post by etank34 »

dirtbags wrote:Image
Brilliant
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Sage&Silver wrote:
CBCat wrote:Although Bill Walton and I suspect even CSM hated it.

Funny to hear Bill Walton admonishing someone for drawing attention to himself. :lol:
To be clear, as a fan - I loved the shimmy. And as a fan, I am also tired of listening to Bill Walton.

But he does not make it about himself and his own accomplishments, ever. Even I am too young to have ever remember Bill Walton when he was in college or before he was decimated by injuries in his NBA career.

He was singled out by John Wooden as the greatest player he ever coached, for anyone old and wise enough to contemplate what that means - that is saying something. A lot.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

I saw Walton in college. Yes, he was great, to say the least. I like him as an announcer alot.

Regarding RHJ's shimmy after the dunk, I don't really think it's a big a deal. Yet I was left with the feeling that such behaviors are better restricted to one's home court. Not rubbing it in in front of other fans. Slightly less than classy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

psiclist23 wrote:I saw Walton in college. Yes, he was great, to say the least. I like him as an announcer alot.

Regarding RHJ's shimmy after the dunk, I don't really think it's a big a deal. Yet I was left with the feeling that such behaviors are better restricted to one's home court. Not rubbing it in in front of other fans. Slightly less than classy.
If the refs call the and-1 as they should have, Rondae isn't shimmying his way back down the court. See, it's all their fault as per usual. ;)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

psiclist23 wrote:I saw Walton in college. Yes, he was great, to say the least. I like him as an announcer alot.

It was a home court
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:

If the refs call the and-1 as they should have, Rondae isn't shimmying his way back down the court. See, it's all their fault as per usual. ;)
you wink, but you're probably right

I doubt he does the shimmy if that is called correctly
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I actually thought the shimmy was in response to getting clocked in the head with no call. A bit of a "you can't stop me even with your uncalled dirty shit" response.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I actually thought the shimmy was in response to getting clocked in the head with no call. A bit of a "you can't stop me even with your uncalled dirty shit" response.
I think you're right. He hasn't done it after a dunk all year, so there was obviously a reason he did it there.

after oregon's "poy" punk-ass slap of Tarc, I don't want to see anyone bitch about RHJ's shimmy after getting hit on the dunk.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Thats how I took it. A little "Be Like Mike" posing after a great play.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

The RHJ dunk and shimmy was one of the greatest single plays in the history of basketball.
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that. Completely agreed on that being the reason for the shimmy, which I thought was well deserved/called for
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Walton is old school...

... no hotdogging @ old school
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

pc in NM wrote:Walton is old school...

... no hotdogging @ old school

Playing for Wooden, no hotdogging allowed. You'd be on the bench for a long rest if so. That aside, I thought it was a fun thing for Rondae...didn't appear to be taunting or in your face stuff.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No dunking either under Wooden, rules or not.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I loved the Shimmy. I took no issue with it. Oregon wanted to play thug ball, they deserved that shimmy.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:No dunking either under Wooden, rules or not.

The no dunk rule was because of Lew Alcindor.

After the 1966-67 season, the NCAA outlawed the dunk. As a sophomore, Lew Alcindor averaged 29 points per game, leading his UCLA Bruins to a national championship with a 30-0 record. The rule targeted the 7-foot-1 Alcindor, who could easily “stuff” the ball in the basket when he got deep in the key.

http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/ru ... _rule.html
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That shimmy was either a response to the foul that didn't get called, or someone said somethin to him after the dunk. He isnt doin that unprovoked.

And i loved it
gumby

Post by gumby »

Football players celebrate first downs. Why can't it be a celebratory move? I thought Ashley earned a technical for hanging on the rim.
Right where I want to be.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

gumby wrote:Football players celebrate first downs. Why can't it be a celebratory move? I thought Ashley earned a technical for hanging on the rim.

Yea I took it as a celebratory move. We were rolling and it was an exclamation point so he had to bust out a non free throw shimmy. All in good fun, that's who RHJ is.
eoe

Post by eoe »

gumby wrote:Football players celebrate first downs. Why can't it be a celebratory move? I thought Ashley earned a technical for hanging on the rim.

His momentum carried him forward, no foul for swinging back to drop safely. Do a pull-up though and you'll get T'd up
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona has needed some of that moxie the last few yrs, imo.

generally im usually more conservative but that strong personality on offense has been what's holding arizona backb

plus, Stanley Johnson plays alongside Jefferson -- they form potentially the best wing tandem in the nation and certainly one of the most dynamic.

it is time
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

eoe wrote:

His momentum carried him forward, no foul for swinging back to drop safely. Do a pull-up though and you'll get T'd up
Unless you're Jahii Carson. In that case, knock out a full set while the crowd rushes the court.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Who is Jahii Carson?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:Who is Jahii Carson?
A superstar in the Serbian league. :D
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

eoe wrote:

Yep, a safety issue. There was a player under the basket, so legally entitled to hang onto the rim.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

eoe wrote:

Brandon Ashley actually had a play that I thought could have been T'd up for hanging on the rim when he swung forward and back and really didn't have a reason to protect himself. I believe ESPN called it the game changing play of the game (Walton pooh-poohed it saying that the play was on an example of a great assist from TJ).
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Right. Two minute mark of this video.

http://pac-12.com/videos/pac-12-tournam ... ona-oregon

Nobody underfoot. Thought you couldn't do that. No biggie.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:Right. Two minute mark of this video.

It looked to me that if he let go right away his momentum would have carried him right into the player he was looking at. he waited until he swung back to let go. I think it was fine.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

azgreg wrote:
gumby wrote:Right. Two minute mark of this video.

It looked to me that if he let go right away his momentum would have carried him right into the player he was looking at. he waited until he swung back to let go. I think it was fine.
Possibly. I think he didn't get T'd because he didn't do a pull up as he swung.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah, Greg. Good point.

When TJ hits the three to put us up 25 with 4 minutes to go. "That could do it," says Pasch. Ya think?

Before that Walton calling for Matt Korcheck. :roll:

"Coach, Bill Walton wants to see me play."

"Then, by all means, check yourself in, Matt."
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

If i recall, there was a player in the immediate vicinity who could have ran under the basket (but didn't). I think the totality of that, the fact his momentum could have brought him to fall on his back had he let go after the finish, and it not really being a boisterous hanging/swinging, is why it wasn't T'd up. After it happened I was surprised they didn't T him up for it though, considering we can't get away with anything with these officials.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Video linked above. Shows the play. More like a possible collision off to the side. Nothing underfoot. That would require playing defense, and the Ducks had quit at that point.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:If i recall, there was a player in the immediate vicinity who could have ran under the basket (but didn't). I think the totality of that, the fact his momentum could have brought him to fall on his back had he let go after the finish, and it not really being a boisterous hanging/swinging, is why it wasn't T'd up. After it happened I was surprised they didn't T him up for it though, considering we can't get away with anything with these officials.
There was someone who was potentially under him and Ashley didn't do anything but swing back and drop. It was a solid no call (especially a dude who fractured a foot landing on an opponent last year).
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:If i recall, there was a player in the immediate vicinity who could have ran under the basket (but didn't). I think the totality of that, the fact his momentum could have brought him to fall on his back had he let go after the finish, and it not really being a boisterous hanging/swinging, is why it wasn't T'd up. After it happened I was surprised they didn't T him up for it though, considering we can't get away with anything with these officials.
There was someone who was potentially under him and Ashley didn't do anything but swing back and drop. It was a solid no call (especially a dude who fractured a foot landing on an opponent last year).
But not really.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
But not really.
No, but close enough.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

gumby wrote:Video linked above. Shows the play. More like a possible collision off to the side. Nothing underfoot. That would require playing defense, and the Ducks had quit at that point.
Basically, had it been called, I would have just shaken my head and said Brandon didn't need to do it. I thought it was a good no-call because I didn't want it called.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Pleases my heart this kid will be broke and living with mommy when his joke of a career is over.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

He has gone full Imelda hasn't he?
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

rgdeuce wrote:Pleases my heart this kid will be broke and living with mommy when his joke of a career is over.
Pleases his mom even more, most likely......
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
But not really.
You shouldn't T a player up for being careful. If no one's there or they exaggerate things, fine, but when someone could be under their feet, just holding on long enough to swing back shouldn't be a T.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

RHJ was fouled on his dunk. Shimmy all ya want young man, that was a statement to what became a chippy game...which is comical in a blowout.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

RHJ having fun

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Great game. Pics are hilarious, I'm gonna miss this kid
Merkin

Post by Merkin »