Stanley Johnson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Stanley Johnson

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Well spoken? You're lucky I can't figure out how to copy Chris Rock stand up routines on my wife's phone.
Yes, well-spoken. You know, as opposed to Johnny "mush mouth" Manziel.
Wow, it's not often you see someone be racist against white people and black people in a single sentence. I'm just waiting for you to drop a "you people" bomb on all races.

With AG winning last year, Arizona is very tight with USA basketball right now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Well spoken? You're lucky I can't figure out how to copy Chris Rock stand up routines on my wife's phone.
Yes, well-spoken. You know, as opposed to Johnny "mush mouth" Manziel.
Wow, it's not often you see someone be racist against white people and black people in a single sentence. I'm just waiting for you to drop a "you people" bomb on all races.
I only say "you people" when referring to those still at TOS.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

CatnapTom wrote:I don't mean to sound too critical, after all it's almost five months before the season starts, but hasn't Stanley Johnson's performance on the USA18 team been a bit disappointing . His numbers seem fine, but his attitude seems suspect. In all three games so far he's started off overly aggressive and prone to miscues and turnovers that have drawn the coaches immediate attention (and benching in the last game). Hopefully, everything goes better for him in the next upcoming game today. :)
Looks like things got better, judging from that trophy.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I hope that Stanley disappoints enough to bring home a few more trophies to the new locker room...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Anyone have that tweet where Stanley called out Jessie Wildcat? It was a couple years back, but it'd be fun to have here for posterity.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:
97cats wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Wow!
perfect
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Predicting 2015 NBA Draft lottery
3. Stanley Johnson (Arizona)

Johnson was the leading scorer on the USA Basketball team that just won the FIBA Americas U18 tournament. The 6-7 wing averaged 14.0 points and 5.4 rebounds in that five-game event. He's among the reasons Arizona will again be picked to win the Pac-12, and he's going to be the next one-and-done star for Sean Miller.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... mock-draft
gumby

Post by gumby »

Freshman Focus!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:Freshman Focus!
One day it will be the Junior Jamboree. One day...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

To dream ... the impossible dream ...
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Main Event wrote:Predicting 2015 NBA Draft lottery

Johnson was the leading scorer on the USA Basketball team that just won the FIBA Americas U18 tournament. The 6-7 wing averaged 14.0 points and 5.4 rebounds in that five-game event. He's among the reasons Arizona will again be picked to win the Pac-12, and he's going to be the next one-and-done star for Sean Miller.
Turner at 9 seems way too low. Okafor is a beast. Not sure he goes #1 but damn it's going to be fun watching him at the NCAA level, aside from the fact that he plays for the Devil.
prh

Post by prh »

Keep reading guys....
13. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (Arizona)

Hollis-Jefferson was the fifth leading scorer on the Arizona team that won the Pac-12, meaning he was mostly overshadowed. But NBA scouts remain very aware of his talents, and who's going to have a better pair of true wings next season than the Wildcats with Johnson and Hollis-Jefferson? (Answer: Nobody)
EDIT: Sorry thought I was in the 2015 thread. Still nice to see though!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:

Keep reading guys....
13. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (Arizona)

Hollis-Jefferson was the fifth leading scorer on the Arizona team that won the Pac-12, meaning he was mostly overshadowed. But NBA scouts remain very aware of his talents, and who's going to have a better pair of true wings next season than the Wildcats with Johnson and Hollis-Jefferson? (Answer: Nobody)
I hope that by the time next season is over, people will see the folly of slotting him below LeVert and Oubre. Caris LeVert is no Gerald LeVert.
EDIT: Sorry thought I was in the 2015 thread. Still nice to see though!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

New mixtape

[youtube]i9lEBEkeLDE[/youtube]
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Watching Stanley dunk all over short white kids makes me realize how stupid it is forcing a kid that big and talented to not only play college basketball but high school basketball, too. I know, it's sacrilege to say so, but what's the point? Yeah, the kid develops, but can anyone find a motive for this that isn't remotely selfish? I want college sports to continue but with the NCAA lawsuits and just looking at the way soccer develops players across the world makes me think that the days of play without pay are very numbered.

If basketball goes the soccer or baseball route, with teams investing in minor league or academy systems, controlling the coaching of the development process, not only does it satisfy the players but it probably reintroduces a higher level of individual and team skill at the highest level. Yes, we lose out as college fans, but that's probably going to happen anyway because of these lawsuits. Even if college sports survives, I just don't think it's going to be the same in 10-20 years.

I'm going to enjoy watching the talents that Miller brings in while I can. Not sure my kids will get to do the same as they grow up.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

thenewazcats wrote:Watching Stanley dunk all over short white kids makes me realize how stupid it is forcing a kid that big and talented to not only play college basketball but high school basketball, too. I know, it's sacrilege to say so, but what's the point? Yeah, the kid develops, but can anyone find a motive for this that isn't remotely selfish? I want college sports to continue but with the NCAA lawsuits and just looking at the way soccer develops players across the world makes me think that the days of play without pay are very numbered.

If basketball goes the soccer or baseball route, with teams investing in minor league or academy systems, controlling the coaching of the development process, not only does it satisfy the players but it probably reintroduces a higher level of individual and team skill at the highest level. Yes, we lose out as college fans, but that's probably going to happen anyway because of these lawsuits. Even if college sports survives, I just don't think it's going to be the same in 10-20 years.

I'm going to enjoy watching the talents that Miller brings in while I can. Not sure my kids will get to do the same as they grow up.
School/Education?*

*unless you play at North Carolina
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:Freshman Focus!
One day it will be the Junior Jamboree. One day...
Senior Serenade?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Have never been so confident that a freshman will produce. His impact will be larger than any freshman we've had before.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

luteformayor2 wrote:Have never been so confident that a freshman will produce. His impact will be larger than any freshman we've had before.
if Stanley Johnson matches (or heaven help us) exceeds the impact of Mike Bibby than we can continue this discussion at the appropriate time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:Have never been so confident that a freshman will produce. His impact will be larger than any freshman we've had before.
if Stanley Johnson matches (or heaven help us) exceeds the impact of Mike Bibby than we can continue this discussion at the appropriate time.
I have a tough time seeing him automatically outdo Bibby or AG. Luteformayor, if he does, please meet me at the national championship celebration and I will offer my sincerest apologies for lacking faith.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Bibby gets alot of credit for what he helped that team do his frosh year, and he had a great stat line throughout the year.

13.5 ppg, 45% FG, 39% from 3, 70% FT, 5 apg, 3.5 rpg

I expect SJ to match or better some of those stats, while not meeting some. I hope the seasons end up the same though.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

If he averages better than 16.5 ppg and 10.7 rpg as a Freshman I will then agree.

Until then...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wasn't Salim pretty amazing as a freshman? And what about Elliott?

I have high expectations for SJ too, but maybe we oughta keep this in perspective. We just need him to play his role, get better each week, and stay healthy. We're setting him up for failure by saying he'll outshine these all time greats at AZ.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Salim put up 13 a game his freshman year
Elliott put up 16 and 5.

I think Elliott type production is reachable for him
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:Salim put up 13 a game his freshman year
Elliott put up 16 and 5.

I think Elliott type production is reachable for him
I'd be a little surprised by the 16, only because we have a lot of firepower he will need to share shots with.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Just my opinion but our offensive philosophy doesn't lend itself well to producing high scoring players - which I feel is around 18+ a game.

I think it's more important that your starting five is averaging from 8 to 15 points a game. It means you don't have to rely on any one scorer, whch is valuable when someone is having an off night.

Also, it's a nightmare for opponents to gameplan against a a versatile offensive team.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

KaibabKat wrote:If he averages better than 16.5 ppg and 10.7 rpg as a Freshman I will then agree.

Until then...
Ah, the other Elliott.

Center vs. a wing. Can't expect those kinds of rebounding numbers from a wing. Apples to oranges.

Could have more steals and assists than Big Bird did to make up for it.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

What's the point of going to high school? Really? Can't think of anything? Like the same reason your kids should attend? NBA farm system? Please proceed. College ball survived the last time these guys could go right to the League. And there is no system where you pay SJ in college without paying the scrubs, too. Or the athletes in non-rev. sports. Good luck shaking dough loose for that.

Bibby was more than numbers. Bayless actually had higher numbers. Love these predictions before they've played against college teams. Always entertaining.
Last edited by gumby on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

gumby wrote:What's the point of going to high school? Really? Can't think of anything? Like the same reason your kids should attend? NBA farm system? Please proceed. College ball survived the last time these guys could go right to college. Amd there is no system where you pay SJ in college without paying the scrubs, too. Or the athletes in non-rev. sports. Good luck shaking dough loose for that.

Bibby was more than numbers. Bayless actually had higher numbers. Love these predictions before they've played against college teams. Always entertaining.
I encourage you to read my post again, then tell me where I questioned the point of getting a high school education. I questioned the point in making kids like Stanley, elite athletes with a glaringly obvious future in professional sports, play high school and college sports. Kids in soccer academies still get an education. My point is that if the NFL or NBA developed a farm system or academy system that was a viable alternative to college or high school sports, it would produce a better end product at the highest level because 1) the pro sport organizations would control the programs, 2) competition wouldn't be diluted with opponents/teammates who have no chance at making it professionally and can't emulate those who do, and 3) they would train year round under (ideally) better coaching.

Why make kids whose future is in professional sports waste valuable developmental time playing against weak competition on high school teams or pursuing a college degree for a year or two or three when they have no interest in the actual pursuit or ends? Stanley Johnson isn't coming to Arizona for a scholastic education. I mean, does anyone really think that? Nick Johnson was one year from his degree and was happy to leave to become a second round NBA selection. Do we think he came to Arizona for the scholastic education?

I don't think the NCAA should be paying athletes. A scholarship is valuable for those who plan on actually getting the education. I also don't think it's the NCAA's fault that pro organizations haven't created viable developmental alternatives where kids with skills can get paid while developing against better competition. It seems simple to me. Pro sports will benefit from a better product. Elite young athletes want to be paid. Set up a farm/academy system that works. Let those who don't qualify for the system play at the amateur level. But why in the world is Stanley Johnson or Aaron Gordon playing at least one year of college basketball before qualifying for the pros? If your answer is education, you're being naive.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

The problem with having farm systems in football and basketball would be the impact it would have on collegiate sports. Would they survive? Probably so, but I wager that their popularity would be vastly reduced. Perhaps even to the level of college baseball today. Reason? As opposed to the day when the NBA allowed kids to enter directly from high school, a true farm system would take in many times the number of players the NBA actually did back then. There would likely have to be multiple layers of farm teams, to the point where every mid-sized town would have one, much like with single-A baseball. Same story with football, but that ain't going to happen with the legal risks coming in the future.

Would this kind of system improve basketball and the level of play in the NBA? I'm sure it would. But watching my UA games would not be nearly as exciting, and since I couldn't care less about the NBA, I vote no.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

I haven't seen this posted yet, a pretty thorough documentary on Stanley's basketball life:

http://ballislife.com/stanley-johnson-work/
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Very cool stuff. Stanley's a clutch player. High bball IQ, great fundamentals, shoots well. Should help the Cats win close games (and much more). I'm thinking Arizona's going to be so tough to beat.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Thank you for posting that. Fun watch. Stanley's mom practically steals the show.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Mom's for Miller
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

gumby

Post by gumby »

thenewazcats wrote:
gumby wrote:What's the point of going to high school? Really? Can't think of anything? Like the same reason your kids should attend? NBA farm system? Please proceed. College ball survived the last time these guys could go right to college. Amd there is no system where you pay SJ in college without paying the scrubs, too. Or the athletes in non-rev. sports. Good luck shaking dough loose for that.

I encourage you to read my post again, then tell me where I questioned the point of getting a high school education. I questioned the point in making kids like Stanley, elite athletes with a glaringly obvious future in professional sports, play high school and college sports. Kids in soccer academies still get an education. My point is that if the NFL or NBA developed a farm system or academy system that was a viable alternative to college or high school sports, it would produce a better end product at the highest level because 1) the pro sport organizations would control the programs, 2) competition wouldn't be diluted with opponents/teammates who have no chance at making it professionally and can't emulate those who do, and 3) they would train year round under (ideally) better coaching.

Why make kids whose future is in professional sports waste valuable developmental time playing against weak competition on high school teams or pursuing a college degree for a year or two or three when they have no interest in the actual pursuit or ends? Stanley Johnson isn't coming to Arizona for a scholastic education. I mean, does anyone really think that? Nick Johnson was one year from his degree and was happy to leave to become a second round NBA selection. Do we think he came to Arizona for the scholastic education?

I don't think the NCAA should be paying athletes. A scholarship is valuable for those who plan on actually getting the education. I also don't think it's the NCAA's fault that pro organizations haven't created viable developmental alternatives where kids with skills can get paid while developing against better competition. It seems simple to me. Pro sports will benefit from a better product. Elite young athletes want to be paid. Set up a farm/academy system that works. Let those who don't qualify for the system play at the amateur level. But why in the world is Stanley Johnson or Aaron Gordon playing at least one year of college basketball before qualifying for the pros? If your answer is education, you're being naive.
Yes, I misread it. Sorry. But is playing high school ball actually an issue for them? When you say "forced to" ... by whom? Or do you mean, they have no choice?

Is this an actual burden that they complain about? If there's a market for what you want, it will materialize. is there some structure/organization blocking this?

I actually like the idea of club sports. Free up more money for education.
Last edited by gumby on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.theshadowleague.com/articles ... ls-academy
STANLEY JOHNSON, University of Arizona, 6-foot-7 Freshman – Wildcat fans better savor his game while they can, because Johnson looks like a Top-5 pick in next year’s NBA Draft. For a guy who is a highlight reel on the fast break, he’s a very unselfish player who looks to find the open man. When he’s on the court, he plays with a rare competitive fire. And for a guy with such strength and size, he has some advanced mechanics, balance and footwork on his jump shot, both off the catch-and-shoot and off the dribble. He powers to the rim and is looking to rip it off once he gets there. Johnson is also a rugged rebounder who takes pride in the combat within the paint. On the defensive end, he can guard multiple positions. Next year, he’ll be a beast as a shooting guard, small forward and power forward on the college level.
http://www.hardwoodinsiders.com/2014/06 ... emy-recap/
Stanley Johnson came in to camp with as much or more hype than anyone else and he lived up to it. Johnson had a very business-like approach throughout camp. Johnson has a very compact jump shot and has not extra motion. Johnson showed the capability to be a good defender because of his strength and willingness to accept the challenge regardless of who he was matched up against. On the offensive end Johnson either bullied his way all the way to the rim or splashed home jumpers out to the college three-point line. Another very noticeable aspect of Johnson’s camp experience was his work ethic. On the second day of camp he and one other player (Sam Dekker) were the only ones to get up extra shots with the coaching staff.
http://www.finestmag.com/apps/blog
Stanley Johnson - 6'7 1/2/ 235/ Freshman/ Arizona
Seeing Stanley Johnson in person the first thing that jumps out at you is his size, he is a big boy! The 235 listing appears to be right on and to be a wing with that size, you can understand why he manhandled the comp in high school, literally and figuratively. Add a game that is tailored made for putting the ball in the basket and you understand why he was so coveted coming out of high school. Johnson can score at will, with the ability to hit jumpers from anywhere on the court and having the explosiveness and strength to get to the bucket on drives and even from the post at will, Johnson was a handful to deal with during play at the camp. The only thing is he has to improve his defense. He has the tools to be a good defender, however until he makes it a priority it will be average to sub par at best. As much as he gave, he definitely took in return and with his projected position likely being as a 2 or 3 at the next level and beyond, he will have to make that a priority sooner rather than later. Regardless, he is a special talent and one that should do major damage for Arizona next season.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

[youtube]tW1GT81uHTM[/youtube]
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Puerco wrote:The problem with having farm systems in football and basketball would be the impact it would have on collegiate sports. Would they survive? Probably so, but I wager that their popularity would be vastly reduced. Perhaps even to the level of college baseball today. Reason? As opposed to the day when the NBA allowed kids to enter directly from high school, a true farm system would take in many times the number of players the NBA actually did back then. There would likely have to be multiple layers of farm teams, to the point where every mid-sized town would have one, much like with single-A baseball. Same story with football, but that ain't going to happen with the legal risks coming in the future.

Would this kind of system improve basketball and the level of play in the NBA? I'm sure it would. But watching my UA games would not be nearly as exciting, and since I couldn't care less about the NBA, I vote no.
If I had a vote, I'd be right there with you. Selfishly, I want CBB to survive and AZ basketball to continue dominating. I just don't think what we want makes sense for the best players or the end product, but that won't stop me from enjoying us fans getting what we want for a bit longer, or however long it lasts.
gumby wrote:But is playing high school ball actually an issue for them? When you say "forced to" ... by whom? Or do you mean, they have no choice?

Is this an actual burden that they complain about? If there's a market for what you want, it will materialize. is there some structure/organization blocking this?

I actually like the idea of club sports. Free up more money for education.
I don't know if playing high school ball is an issue for them. They're not really forced by anyone. That's just lazy writing on my part.

They play high school, AAU and college basketball because there's no better alternative. I think the movement for pay for play on an amateur level signifies that this is something at least some young athletes want. They're trying to force the pay for play issue on the NCAA, and I don't think that's what any academic institution fielding amateur sports teams should be about.

While you would think that desire would equate to manifestation, that's not really the case here. Players may want to get paid earlier than when they enter the NBA or NFL, but what's the motivation for those franchise owners to institute a useful farm system, which would take a considerable investment, when the NCAA is a free developmental tool? It's not what the players want, it's what the owners want, and I don't think they're more concerned with the end product or the player's pocketbooks as they are their own bottom line.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

I think we would all be fine with CBB even if the level of play was lower. One thing you would find is that we would actually see who the best teaching coaches are rather than the ones who recruit the best. The ultimate issue is having your school competitive and school spirit. If every schools' team dropped accordingly in talent (save for late bloomers that a team was lucky enough to find), there will be competition. Sort of the opposite of Syndrome's "When everyone is special, then no one is" line.

As to the various articles about the Durant Camp, each different writer has different ideas about who stood out at the camp. Stanley Johnson was pretty consistently mentioned however in all articles as a standout.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

There are so many flaws with concept of paying NCAA athletes contracts, salaries, revenue sharing etc. Very few NCAA student athletes (particularly in Football and Basketball) actually have a chance to play professional sports after college. We focus on the major programs, but the majority of college teams are not major programs and rarely produce professional athletes. So, how do you even begin to determine who gets paid what? Do all starting quarterbacks get paid the same, or does someone like Manziel get paid significantly more? Or do you play the players a percentage of what their team generates? Do starters make more than bench players or backup players? The potential for mass corruption is enormous. If athletes become paid employees, what happens to academic requirements? Why give someone $20-$30K a year in tuition/living expenses via a scholarship when they are also being paid in some capacity to play a sport? One of the only fair ways to deal with the issue if one goes down that bumpy road is give the athletes some sort of revenue sharing capacity that is split evenly nationally, and that is paid when the student/athlete leaves school (either at graduation or when they choose to try to get drafted). If individual schools can pay larger payments due to their own massive revenue streams (like Alabama football), it will destroy sports and usher in an era of mass corruption.

If the NFL and NBA want to create a real farm system, then those concepts should be developed. The reality is, there will be very little national interest in watching farm system games. How much can you pay a kid to play basketball in a farm system that few people will watch and that will generate little advertising/sponsorship revenues? More than the D-League? The kids will have little ability to create a buzz and a brand because no one will really care. Fans of college sports just don't watch because there is some charismatic starter, they watch because of their allegiance to the team and school. They watch every year. AZ fans are going to watch basketball this year with or without Aaron Gordon. If all the best athletes choose to go farm system leagues, the viewership will drop in college sports, but not entirely. It is still a viable product because even if a faction of elite athletes bypass playing at the collegiate level, there will still be many talented kids playing and keeping the game interesting and exciting.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Good posts in this thread. This must be where the smart people hang.

Agree that the focus on pay is always on the stars at elite programs. They are the outliers. Hence, being stars. There is zero interest in paying the other guys or girls.

Best they can hope for is more Napier bumps (daily bread, but not dough.)
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I think the drop in talent level would come with fewer early entries and the popularity of college sports would actually increase. Fans don't watch NCAA sports because that's where the best talent resides. They watch because of a connection to the schools, like DZ and midnight say. Longer amateur careers would only strengthen that bond and familiarity and increase interest.

The only way I see college sports collapsing, and the scary thing is that it could happen within the next couple decades, is if, as midnight says, "individual schools can pay larger payments due to their own massive revenue streams (like Alabama football)." I agree that "it will destroy sports and usher in an era of mass corruption." Eliminate the perception of a level playing field and sports will lose their glamour, even for alumni.

When and why did MLB create a minor league system? Was MLB even involved in its creation or was it a string of entrepreneurs looking to capitalize on the popularity of the sport? I won't pretend to understand the economic system of minor league baseball. I know that teams secure the rights of eligible players through a draft. I know those players sign a contract that includes a signing bonus. Is there a uniform salary at each minor league level for each player? Do MLB teams pay the bonus and the minor league teams pay the annual salary for players on their teams? I don't know how the NBA or NFL would institute a farm/academy system. All I know is that if one was created, it would probably benefit and appease the players who will play at the highest level. It would take years of brand building for these farm teams to come close to competing with NCAA teams in terms of TV ratings or attendance, if it ever even happens, so I understand the improbability of entrepreneurs embarking on a mission to fund a farm/academy/league. The funding would have to come from owners at the highest professional level, and that's unlikely to happen, or at least not unless the NCAA collapses due to the new financial landscape as a result of these lawsuits.

Anyway, I'm sorry to have derailed the thread. This topic probably doesn't belong in Stanley Land.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote:There are so many flaws with concept of paying NCAA athletes contracts, salaries, revenue sharing etc. Very few NCAA student athletes (particularly in Football and Basketball) actually have a chance to play professional sports after college. We focus on the major programs, but the majority of college teams are not major programs and rarely produce professional athletes. So, how do you even begin to determine who gets paid what? Do all starting quarterbacks get paid the same, or does someone like Manziel get paid significantly more? Or do you play the players a percentage of what their team generates? Do starters make more than bench players or backup players? The potential for mass corruption is enormous. If athletes become paid employees, what happens to academic requirements? Why give someone $20-$30K a year in tuition/living expenses via a scholarship when they are also being paid in some capacity to play a sport? One of the only fair ways to deal with the issue if one goes down that bumpy road is give the athletes some sort of revenue sharing capacity that is split evenly nationally, and that is paid when the student/athlete leaves school (either at graduation or when they choose to try to get drafted). If individual schools can pay larger payments due to their own massive revenue streams (like Alabama football), it will destroy sports and usher in an era of mass corruption.

If the NFL and NBA want to create a real farm system, then those concepts should be developed. The reality is, there will be very little national interest in watching farm system games. How much can you pay a kid to play basketball in a farm system that few people will watch and that will generate little advertising/sponsorship revenues? More than the D-League? The kids will have little ability to create a buzz and a brand because no one will really care. Fans of college sports just don't watch because there is some charismatic starter, they watch because of their allegiance to the team and school. They watch every year. AZ fans are going to watch basketball this year with or without Aaron Gordon. If all the best athletes choose to go farm system leagues, the viewership will drop in college sports, but not entirely. It is still a viable product because even if a faction of elite athletes bypass playing at the collegiate level, there will still be many talented kids playing and keeping the game interesting and exciting.
I've said it before, but I don't buy this at all. Richer schools use that wealth to attract players already.

Richer schools use money to get players.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... -interview

The solution is easy as pie. Allow athletes to receive money from non-school sources for their image. It answers every question you ask. How do you determine value? The market does. What happens to academics? They stay identical, or possibly even improve. The NCAA has less energy spent on enforcing pay rules and can spend more ensuring that schools meet academic standards.

It's a crazy joke when we say that the playing field is level when most schools pay their coaches more than the president of the university, many coaches are the highest paid employee in the state and schools drop 50-70 million on football facilities. It's a similar joke to pretend the system is amateur in any way.

Anyone who has the perception of a level playing field has their head buried so firmly in the sand that we could hand bales of cash to players on the sidelines and they wouldn't notice (in Miami, handing the bales is known as Shapiroing). The idea that schools can create 20-50 million a year, and somehow we'd slip into a Marxist dream if there was a minor league is similarly odd to me. Schools won't stop competing for players and prestige as long as there's money to be had.

The NCAA gets billions. Schools get millions. Coaches get millions. Players are the foundation of it all, and they get nothing. On the 4th of July, we should allow them a little independence and let the market dictate if they can make coin off their image.

thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

"Our school can offer you a better experience" vs "We will give you more money" have two very different impacts on the perception of a level playing field. That's not hard to see even if our heads are buried in the sand.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

thenewazcats wrote:"Our school can offer you a better experience" vs "We will give you more money" have two very different impacts on the perception of a level playing field. That's not hard to see even if our heads are buried in the sand.
You mentioned Alabama football. According to rivals, they had had the #1 ranked recruiting class four years in a row. How level is the playing field?

Nick Saban makes close to 10 million a year to coach. Players risk CTE, paralysis (Taliaferro, Mullins, LaGrande) and are prohibited from taking money people are freely willing to give them.

I'm a college sports fan, and my enjoyment of the games would be enhanced if I knew they players were making money off their likenesses. Instead, you see players on the cover of NCAA video games and get to know they sell millions and that players gets squat.

Why do you think Arizona football is moving to selling generic number jerseys? Because using player numbers to sell jerseys and not compensating players is part of litigation about how players are cash cows, not students.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:"Our school can offer you a better experience" vs "We will give you more money" have two very different impacts on the perception of a level playing field. That's not hard to see even if our heads are buried in the sand.
You mentioned Alabama football. According to rivals, they had had the #1 ranked recruiting class four years in a row. How level is the playing field?
Exactly; there are already enough advantages for some programs. For example, if football programs like Alabama, Texas and USC with huge financial alumni support already have an advantage because of the money that is pumped into facilities and the respective programs; what happens if revenue sharing is based on a percentage each program generates? The disparity will create even more advantages than are already in place.

The reality is that Alabama football is dominating recruiting not because of the rhetorical rumors of players being paid under the table, etc., it is because of Nick Saban. Before Saban arrived, Alabama had fallen from elite status. Same thing with Kentucky basketball; it had name value, but deteriorated after Pitino left until Calipari resurrected it. Yes, some of these programs will always have certain advantages because of their names/legacies and financial resources, but the coach ultimately is what makes or breaks programs.

But because of the money programs like Alabama (football) and Kentucky (basketball) generate and are given through wealthy alumni, there will be an unfair advantage if revenue sharing becomes a reality. And frankly, how many of these kids (particularly in football) are worthy of being paid? There is far more mediocre and substandard talent in college athletics than there is future pro talent. I played Division I tennis; should I have been paid revenue sharing because the school or conference made money through football and basketball television deals? I was given free tuition; I made out ok. If I was good enough to play on the pro tour, I could have left school. Or should only basketball and football players be paid because their sports generate most of the income? What about swimming? What about women's sports? Going down the paying-of-players route is going to create more inequities and more problems than people can fathom.