lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: lets talk '16

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:and that center Chance Comanche could develop into a Channing Frye-type NBA player.

3 years of playing soft and hearing all kinds of fan and teammate abuse?
Harsh. I'll take another Channing Frye.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... rye-1.html

One of our best at the position.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:
Merkin wrote:and that center Chance Comanche could develop into a Channing Frye-type NBA player.

Oh I agree Gumby, he and Shakur turned out to be much better that we gave them credit for at the time. We were just very spoiled. 11 out of 12 starting centers were drafted by the NBA. Only one who wasn't was Justin Wessels who started when Loren Woods was suspended. Then came the Kirk Walters and Alex Jacobsen years.

After Shakur we had Nic Wise, Momo Jones, Mark Lyons and so on until TJ. Shakur's senior year of 6.9 APG still has yet to be reached.

Wasn't it Hassan who gave Channing the "Ham Sandwich" moniker?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Probably just some rye observation on a message board. Er, wry. Same with "Charmin."
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:
gumby wrote:

Oh I agree Gumby, he and Shakur turned out to be much better that we gave them credit for at the time. We were just very spoiled. 11 out of 12 starting centers were drafted by the NBA. Only one who wasn't was Justin Wessels who started when Loren Woods was suspended. Then came the Kirk Walters and Alex Jacobsen years.

After Shakur we had Nic Wise, Momo Jones, Mark Lyons and so on until TJ. Shakur's senior year of 6.9 APG still has yet to be reached.

Wasn't it Hassan who gave Channing the "Ham Sandwich" moniker?
Ummm... No. It was Lute who challenged Frye to be tougher and "not be a ham sandwich".

None of the players on the team knew what that term meant... I did not either.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Here at the UA awards banquet Salim was given credit:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/2002/0 ... ds-dinner/

- Freshman Channing Frye bought Salim Stoudamire a loaf of bread and ham because Stoudamire, upon meeting and playing with Frye earlier this year, called Frye “Ham Sandwich” because Frye was so soft.

Stoudamire promptly called Frye “Ham Sandwich” once he got to the podium. He then gave Frye a container of Weight Gain powder.

Lute on it:

https://books.google.com/books?id=lGnPe ... 22&f=false
gumby

Post by gumby »

It's a miracle that "softer than a ham sandwich" never caught on.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Thought Kentucky was a player for him.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Seems a little quiet on the '16 recruiting front.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Josh Jackson
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

yeah, U19 training kicks off next week with group play in athens (vs. iran) following in a couple of weeks. nice opportunity for CSM to work with zo, leaf, josh jackson, others

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 0e483.html

USA BB U19 schedule / roster
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Cool
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

dirtbags wrote:yeah, U19 training kicks off next week with group play in athens (vs. iran) following in a couple of weeks. nice opportunity for CSM to work with zo, leaf, josh jackson, others

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 0e483.html

USA BB U19 schedule / roster
Funny no Ivan Rabb? Shocking? No really!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Main Event wrote:Josh Jackson
perfect fit
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

97cats how are we loping for JJ? Are we where we want to be?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

perfect fit
gumby

Post by gumby »

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Main Event wrote:
I'm sure people have pointed out to Josh the pitfalls of coming to visit the school in June, but these summer visits still make me cringe a little.

Hopefully he comes back for an official in the fall.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

97cats wrote:perfect fit
Love it, Nine Sevun!

My question to you: Do you have a view of whether Josh will even go to college? I sense there's a real possibility this young phenom may take another route.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

EOCT wrote:
Love it, Nine Sevun!

My question to you: Do you have a view of whether Josh will even go to college? I sense there's a real possibility this young phenom may take another route.
Oh really? He's talked about doing the international thing for a year?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Why would JJ come to AZ when he's a midwest guy with offers from Kansas and MSU? Not to mention UK and Duke.

Sounds like a long shot.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Why did tarc come? Tj? Parrom? Anderson? Trier? Simon?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Why would JJ come to AZ when he's a midwest guy with offers from Kansas and MSU? Not to mention UK and Duke.

Sounds like a long shot.
He's such a Midwest guy that he moved to California to play HS ball. Kansas and MSU don't corner the market for Midwest players either, just ask Caleb Swanigan. Any player that is taking an unofficial visit to Arizona before taking any unofficial visits to the other schools you mentioned and currently resides in Arizona's region of the country is the polar opposite of a long shot. Arizona may not land him, but waving the white flag when for all intents and purposes you appear to have as good of a shot as anyone if not better is silly. You're also talking about a guy who Sean Miller very likely will be coaching starting next week.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

perfect fit
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

SCCats wrote:
EOCT wrote:
Love it, Nine Sevun!

Oh really? He's talked about doing the international thing for a year?
Doubt it. But someone's talking about it for some reason: http://www.scout.com/college/kansas/for ... ing-thread (Several posters referencing the subject.)

Seems unlikely since Josh sounds circumspect about his personal leans, even being careful not to rank the obvious group of suitors. Yet---Josh got a big taste of Europe with the U14 and U17 year old USA teams. And he already has a broad, mature group of skills and Pro body.

Call me a little skittish on the subject of losing material time investments a-la Mr. Rabb.

Now I'm over it and very much on board with "A Perfect Fit". Bearing down on getting this terrific player!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Throughout June and heading into the all-important July recruiting period, Jeff Goodman and Jeff Borzello will take a look at the summer checklists for the top 50 programs in college basketball, as revealed in Goodman's preseason ballot published in late May. Goodman and Borzello will show you each roster the way the coaches are looking at it, projecting graduation/NBA casualties and areas of need ahead of 2016-17. Below is the summer guide for the Arizona Wildcats.

An index and schedule for the Summer Recruiting Bible series is located HERE.

Scholarship chart

Seniors (4): Kaleb Tarczewski, Gabe York, Mark Tollefsen, Ryan Anderson

Juniors (2): Kadeem Allen, Elliott Pitts

Sophomores (2): Dusan Ristic, Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Freshmen (4): Allonzo Trier, Justin Simon, Ray Smith, Chance Comanche

Possible early entry losses after next season: Allonzo Trier

Available scholarships for 2016: Five

Committed prospects for 2016 and beyond: PF T.J. Leaf (ESPN No. 15, Compton Magic)

Biggest needs for 2016-17: Forward, big and a guard

Must-haves: SF Josh Jackson (No. 3, 1Nation)

Targets: SF Josh Jackson (No. 3, 1Nation), PG Kobi Simmons (No. 5, Atlanta Celtics), SG Josh Langford (No. 13, Atlanta Celtics), PF De'Ron Davis (No. 28, Colorado Hawks) G Frank Jackson (No. 30, Utah Prospects), PF M.J. Cage (No. 35, California Supreme), SG Markelle Fultz (No. 55 in ESPN 100, Team Final), SF Brendan Bailey (Dream Vision), SG JaQuori McLaughlin (Team Access), C Mitch Lightfoot (Arizona Power)

Summer scenario

Sean Miller and the Wildcats will lose four seniors, and Arizona has one open scholarship. Miller can sign five players, but it's more likely that he and his staff wind up signing four in the class. They already have skilled forward T.J. Leaf, a potential McDonald's All-American. The top target is Jackson, but the staff will need another strong class -- one that includes a big wing, a big man and a guard -- to back up the four-man group that will arrive on campus this summer.
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-spor ... basketball
97cats

Post by 97cats »

perfect it
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Possible early entry losses after next season: Allonzo Trier

Is he really thought of as a one-and-done? Dude can score but is a true 6'4" and only has a 6'6" wingspan and we really don't know about his Div I defense yet.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He's probably the most likely one and done. With the 4 freshmen, I could see all 4 leaving after next year or all 4 staying. There isn't a sure goner like sj or Gordon in the mix.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:He's probably the most likely one and done. With the 4 freshmen, I could see all 4 leaving after next year or all 4 staying. There isn't a sure goner like sj or Gordon in the mix.
You can see all 4 leaving after next year? What?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I didn't say it was likely. They all have the potential to leave after next year, just like sj, rhj and Ashley all had the potential to come back for 2015. Most likely won't happen.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Commanche probably least likely.

Meanwhile...

5 star by all 3 services:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/edrice-adebayo

ASU shootin' big!

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:I didn't say it was likely. They all have the potential to leave after next year, just like sj, rhj and Ashley all had the potential to come back for 2015. Most likely won't happen.
Not at the same time. I could see someone leaving if they immediately blow up, but there's no way it happens to more than one, and Comanche, I don't see any chance there. Even if he is ready, he's a guaranteed backup.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona's 2015 freshman class ALL leaving early for the pros = zero chance
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I didn't say it was likely. They all have the potential to leave after next year, just like sj, rhj and Ashley all had the potential to come back for 2015. Most likely won't happen.
Just so we're clear you mean after their freshman years correct? I'd say at most one could possibly leave Arizona for the NBA and if there were a chance for more than one leaving than the other guy would probably be a transfer out.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

As in so many classes, the point guard and center will make or break Arizona's in '16.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

So, you're saying that you believe somewhere between zero and four of the incoming freshmen will leave after their first year? Ah, okay. Now I understand. Thanks for the insight.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

We should all be paying for this premium content
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Mike Bibby Jr. getting no love from UA

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /71132680/
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

dmjcat wrote:Mike Bibby Jr. getting no love from UA

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /71132680/
didn't usc offer him like 2 years ago or something? i seem to remember some discussion about this on TOS, that he wasn't "Arizona good" at the time and it was premature to make any conclusions about the kid. what's the verdict now? is the staff even looking for a '16 PG?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Five-star recruit Jackson enjoys UA visit

4 hours ago • Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – USA Basketball might not be about recruiting for Arizona coach Sean Miller, but camp didn’t start until this weekend.

Last weekend was fair game. So that's when Josh Jackson came to the UA campus.

And the versatile five-star wing from the class of 2016 liked what he saw.

It was a great place, great environment, great atmosphere and obviously (you could see) the previous years of success,” Jackson said today after the U19 team's first workout. “It’s just a really good school. We talked a lot about academics and I liked what they were talking about.”

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 4a089.html
Last edited by HiCat on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

edited heavily..click link for full article ;)

Leaf gets to work under Miller
7 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — In less than a week, Arizona Wildcats commit T.J. Leaf will have stomached a trifecta of assaults on his system.

“It was a great experience,” Leaf said Saturday, after the U19 team’s first workout. “You’re playing against guys who are 23, 24 years old. We realized we have a long way to go. Skill-level wise, we were all there, but just some of their physical attributes were a little bit better.”

Even UA recruiting target Josh Jackson, a top-five player in the class of 2016, says that makes a difference.

“I think the college guys are definitely making an impact,” Jackson said. “They’re a lot bigger and stronger than the other guys, but we’re prepared for what they’re bringing.”

”The only thing that really matters now is finding the right team,” Miller said.

Jackson said the competition level was so high during that scrimmage that “they can almost pick this team blindfolded and have a pretty good team.”

The box score bore that out. Not only was the production balanced, but age really didn’t matter. Harry Giles, a 17-year-old forward from the class of 2016, opened eyes in the first scrimmage with 18 points on 8-for-12 shooting while Jackson, an 18-year-old, had 10 points, five rebounds and two assists.

While Leaf was the only scoreless player, he had eight rebounds while throwing off all that jet lag and facing a number of difficult matchups.

“Us 2016s, we’re just playing up, so it’s a little bit different,” Leaf said. “We’ll see how it goes.”

He’s getting to play with guys such as Jackson and Giles, whom he will inevitably see on the high-school all-star circuit next season and in college in 2016-17.

He’s also getting to work for the first time under Miller, his future coach. And both the Eurocamp and USA Basketball experiences are reminders of his goal to leap from having about 219 pounds on his 6-foot-10 frame now to about 230 by the time he arrives at Arizona next summer.

I want to work on everything,” Leaf said.

“I want to get a lot stronger, and I’ve been working on that a lot. Also on my consistency throughout my game, in every aspect.”

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... e1df3.html
Zero

Post by Zero »

Giles is a beast. Love that kid.

Thanks for the article
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Top recruit Josh Jackson plans to play overseas — in pursuit of U-19 world championship
Near the end of March, elite Class of 2016 recruit Josh Jackson cut his list of potential college choices to nine, and there were nine very pleased head basketball coaches.

Near the end of April, a tweet from talent scout Jerry Meyer suggested Jackson might make all of them unhappy and play professionally overseas after leaving high school.

The schools recruiting him should keep calling.

“I’ve heard that as well,” Jackson told Sporting News. “That’s not true. I’m definitely going to college.”

Jackson may be heading overseas, but if so it will be as a member of the USA Basketball entry in the FIBA U-19 World Championships that will take place in Crete, Greece, from June 27 to July 5. Jackson, a 6-7, 185-pound rising senior at Prolific Prep in Napa, Calif., is among the 16 finalists for a position on the 12-man squad.

At the trials this past weekend, Jackson showed he ranked with the most talented players in the gym, showing off his extraordinary passing skill, athleticism around the rim, toughness in battling for rebounds and a developing jumpshot.

In short, he was one of the most gifted players in the U.S. Olympic Training Center gym even though he also was one of the youngest. He is ranked the No. 2 prospect in the 2016 class by 24/7 Sports. Many of the players he was competing will be college freshmen this fall or played Division I last season. There are some very good reasons Jackson is wanted by Arizona, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, N.C. State, North Carolina and UCLA.

Originally from Southfield, Mich., Jackson transferred to Prolific Prep before last season and acknowledged he was happy to get away from the cold of winter. But he’d willingly go back, either for college or if drafted by a Snow Belt NBA team in a few years.

“California, Napa Valley – beautiful place,” Jackson said. “I love the people out there, love the kids that go to my school, everybody pretty much accepted me, and it kind of feels like home even though it’s not home. It’s pretty good. I hated the winter in Michigan. I didn’t like the cold. I did not like snow. So California, I feel like is a good place for me.

“College is pretty much up in the air. I wouldn’t mind going to a school where it’s cold. That won’t influence my decision at all.”

Jackson played a year ago on the United States entry that won the gold medal in the U-17 Worlds. He would very much like to be standing on the podium at the end of the U-19 tournament after another victory.

“I know what it’s like to win a gold medal. I know what it’s like to play with the great players, just make more friends. It’s all worth it. It’s the best feeling ever,” Jackson said. “That’s what we’re working for."

Jackson fell in love with Dubai when the U-17 team was there and said he is “definitely going back there at some point in my life,” even though the summer heat was in triple digits even after sundown.

Crete is a beautiful location, as well, with beaches and clear blue water.

“Dubai is going to be hard to beat,” Jackson said.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... um=twitter
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I hope 247 sports is wrong. They predict JJ going to KU at 75% & UA at 25%

http://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Jackson-21374
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:I hope 247 sports is wrong. They predict JJ going to KU at 75% & UA at 25%

Let Miller work with him on Team USA a little before the sky is falling.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
84Cat wrote:I hope 247 sports is wrong. They predict JJ going to KU at 75% & UA at 25%

The majority of those predictions were over a year and a half ago. More current ones have the Cats trending a bit with JJ. Agreed that having CSM coach him could be a HUGE + but could turn JJ off if he thinks miller is to hard on his players. I am not sure what CSM style of coaching will be for this team. He doesnt have months to teach is Offense and Defense. I think he maybe forced to lossen up a little bit which could possibly be a great thing if he opens up the offense a little during the season.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

3goggles wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The majority of those predictions were over a year and a half ago. More current ones have the Cats trending a bit with JJ. Agreed that having CSM coach him could be a HUGE + but could turn JJ off if he thinks miller is to hard on his players. I am not sure what CSM style of coaching will be for this team. He doesnt have months to teach is Offense and Defense. I think he maybe forced to lossen up a little bit which could possibly be a great thing if he opens up the offense a little during the season.
If working closely with Miller does not work to our advantage, it wasn't meant to be. Remember that Miller is...something. A pitch? A snitch? A hitch? It was something like that.
cpt

Post by cpt »

Wilner says Oregon is team to beat in Pac 12. Douche.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... r-2015-16/