Craig Victor to transfer

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: Craig Victor to transfer

Post by Olsondogg »

Oh I understand Chi, don't want it to seem fishy. But clearly nothing fishy with announcing a transfer on a Tuesday, making a list on Wednesday, and making a selection on Friday. No tampering at all.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:Oh I understand Chi, don't want it to seem fishy. But clearly nothing fishy with announcing a transfer on a Tuesday, making a list on Wednesday, and making a selection on Friday. No tampering at all.
Nope, none at all.

But I don't think we want to open up that Pandora's Box. There are a few transfers into our program that were probably a done deal before their announcement (*cough* TJ *cough*).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Oh I understand Chi, don't want it to seem fishy. But clearly nothing fishy with announcing a transfer on a Tuesday, making a list on Wednesday, and making a selection on Friday. No tampering at all.
Nope, none at all.

But I don't think we want to open up that Pandora's Box. There are a few transfers into our program that were probably a done deal before their announcement (*cough* TJ *cough*).
True...however they lost their coach correct? Opening up the door for transfers I believe...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Nope, none at all.

True...however they lost their coach correct? Opening up the door for transfers I believe...
Didn't he announce his transfer before the coach was gone? I think that's why he still had to sit out a year.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

best of luck to craig victor. sad to see him go.

that being said, is he really any more likely to get significantly more PT at LSU next season? i guess simmons is probably a OAD, but the tigers have a young squad and their leading scorers / rebounders at the 3 & 4 (i believe) will likely be returning as well. is that right?
gumby

Post by gumby »

nm
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:
84Cat wrote:
That must have been a really quick cup of coffee for Bohannon.

EDIT: 26 games over 4 seasons:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... net01.html
I knew a man Bohannon and he played a bit ... in worn out shoes!
gumby

Post by gumby »

gumby wrote:
azdoubledown wrote:Only he himself knows why he felt now was time to leave. That will just be Victor's secret.
Their stuff is usually more see-through. To LSU goes the Victor?
On it like Blue Bonnet!

I'm an insider!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

dirtbags wrote:best of luck to craig victor. sad to see him go.

that being said, is he really any more likely to get significantly more PT at LSU next season? i guess simmons is probably a OAD, but the tigers have a young squad and their leading scorers / rebounders at the 3 & 4 (i believe) will likely be returning as well. is that right?
Thats what I was thinking but he will be closer to home I guess!
Budd1e_lee

Post by Budd1e_lee »

I will never understand why an AAU coach is involved at this juncture.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Budd1e_lee wrote:I will never understand why an AAU coach is involved at this juncture.

I don't either, Buddle_lee, if that's what happened with the Victor transfer. I've just assumed Craig's buddies from HS & AAU have been working him over via social media and home trips. LSU has 6 or 7 guys from the New Orleans, Baton Rouge, etc. region.

I don't think it's healthy, but I do think some college coaches use the AAU guys for leads and info on skills, development needs, and especially team chemistry issues. On the latter, the jerk players evidence themselves clearly during practices and league games; but not so much in tournaments when they know they have an audience of college coaches ready to pick up quickly on chemistry issues.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Budd1e_lee wrote:I will never understand why an AAU coach is involved at this juncture.
Because the AAU coach can receive benefits for delivering players. Or job offers.

As long as there's a way to benefit off the players, the AAU coaches, who have gained a lot of trust from the players they advise, travel with, probably under the table take care of, they will always be involved.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

If a young player is unhappy with his present school why would he not call someone that he knows and trusts - like his former AAU Coach. Why wouldn't that coach help out his young friend. Are all AAU coaches just money grubbing slime balls or do some truly have the best interest of their players at heart? Doesn't Miles Simon do a pretty fair job of coaching AAU ball?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I'd be more concerned with tampering and questionable tactics if LSU wasn't his home school. He may have had a list he presented, but it was always a list of one. And a logical line of thought can be drawn...he wanted to play at home, had pressure to play at home, but Arizona came calling. Sean Miller and staff are clearly pretty good recruiters, it was a class that was highly thought of, and going to play at a high level program like Arizona was enough to get him to not go to LSU. He goes away from home for high school ball, probably misses home, but Arizona, right? That's big time. He wants to play for a big time program

He gets here, doesn't appear to do anything wrong, but the minutes just aren't there. Meanwhile, hometown LSU, who still clearly wants him, are putting together a hell of a class. All of a sudden, playing at LSU can be, unlike a year before, playing in the "big time." He is confident like every kid that age, isn't getting the playing time here but, I am sure, thinks he should be playing more. He isn't afraid of the big time class coming into LSU, because, again...he is confident. But he now, two years from home, has an opportunity to go home, play more (or so he assumes), and still be on a team capable of making some noise. He gets a little slap on the wrist for not buckling down on his responsibilities, sees Ryan Anderson every day in practice, and then sees we are making a real run at Ivan Rabb, who will most definitely put a crimp in any plans to log more minutes next year. So he is faced with waiting for a 3rd or 4th year to make some noise in Arizona, or to sit out a year and go home as a hailed local product and play for a team that will have national pundits drooling to be the one who "told the world" about the resurgence of LSU hoops.

So he transfers. And not without reason. You put all that together...can go home, hometown program is improving almost overnight so it is no longer a waste to go there, not playing here, staff trying furiously to recruit a player that will bury you on the bench until 2016, and have locked up a player who might bury you on the bench in 2016, you think you already deserve minutes but aren't getting them (same as every player on the bench in every program). The answer is almost too obvious to a 19 year old kid. Hell...I would probably do the same thing in his situation.

I knew a girl that transferred from U of A and lost all of her scholarships to chase a guy to NAU. Smart girl (see: scholarships). Eventually graduated Summa Cum Laude, has made mostly right on choices in life. And at 19, she threw away free school with non-transferrable scholarships to work nearly full time to pay for school over a guy who wasn't even her boyfriend a year later. That's being 19. Victor's decision comes with a lot more reason than that.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

3goggles, just curious: why will Victor always be a Wildcat to you? Because last time I checked, the kid just abandoned his team mates, the Wildcats, in order to become a Tiger.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

EVCat wrote:I'd be more concerned with tampering and questionable tactics if LSU wasn't his home school. He may have had a list he presented, but it was always a list of one. And a logical line of thought can be drawn...he wanted to play at home, had pressure to play at home, but Arizona came calling. Sean Miller and staff are clearly pretty good recruiters, it was a class that was highly thought of, and going to play at a high level program like Arizona was enough to get him to not go to LSU. He goes away from home for high school ball, probably misses home, but Arizona, right? That's big time. He wants to play for a big time program

He gets here, doesn't appear to do anything wrong, but the minutes just aren't there. Meanwhile, hometown LSU, who still clearly wants him, are putting together a hell of a class. All of a sudden, playing at LSU can be, unlike a year before, playing in the "big time." He is confident like every kid that age, isn't getting the playing time here but, I am sure, thinks he should be playing more. He isn't afraid of the big time class coming into LSU, because, again...he is confident. But he now, two years from home, has an opportunity to go home, play more (or so he assumes), and still be on a team capable of making some noise. He gets a little slap on the wrist for not buckling down on his responsibilities, sees Ryan Anderson every day in practice, and then sees we are making a real run at Ivan Rabb, who will most definitely put a crimp in any plans to log more minutes next year. So he is faced with waiting for a 3rd or 4th year to make some noise in Arizona, or to sit out a year and go home as a hailed local product and play for a team that will have national pundits drooling to be the one who "told the world" about the resurgence of LSU hoops.

So he transfers. And not without reason. You put all that together...can go home, hometown program is improving almost overnight so it is no longer a waste to go there, not playing here, staff trying furiously to recruit a player that will bury you on the bench until 2016, and have locked up a player who might bury you on the bench in 2016, you think you already deserve minutes but aren't getting them (same as every player on the bench in every program). The answer is almost too obvious to a 19 year old kid. Hell...I would probably do the same thing in his situation.

I knew a girl that transferred from U of A and lost all of her scholarships to chase a guy to NAU. Smart girl (see: scholarships). Eventually graduated Summa Cum Laude, has made mostly right on choices in life. And at 19, she threw away free school with non-transferrable scholarships to work nearly full time to pay for school over a guy who wasn't even her boyfriend a year later. That's being 19. Victor's decision comes with a lot more reason than that.
Excellent analysis, EV. Reasonable. Love when you say "That's being 19".

Lots view points when thinking about these situations. Parents. Transferee schools. Staff of the transferring school. We fans, taking a resource loss. Then the player, a 18-20 year old who's listening to everyone and finally listens to himself. Love it!

Wishing Mr. Craig Victor los of success and validation of his decision. Go get it man!
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

The reason is obvious:

"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:The reason is obvious:

Arizona ain't Kansas. We have hotter girls than lsu
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

ASUHATER! wrote:

"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

ASUHATER! wrote:

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Pretty weak offerings there 'fuegs.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UAdevil wrote:Pretty weak offerings there 'fuegs.
No shit. That's the best he could come up with?

A couple of the girls in the front of both group shots are hideous.
-JB
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Those pics answer the question of why Victor did not go to Kansas.

LSU is still a puzzle tho.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Hey, 19. The Cuervo Gold. The fine Colombian ...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Victor could have contacted LSU while still a UA player with no tampering involved. Just has to come from him, not from LSU.
gumby wrote:Hey, 19. The Cuervo Gold. The fine Colombian ...
You know you are getting old when Columbian Gold was the best stuff you could get.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

LSU has 2 Sophs playing 34 mins that avg 16-17 ppg. 6'8" and 6'10" plus the #1 Freshman in '15 who is 6'9". I dont see how that is going to be any better for him...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

LSU's implosion this year is one of the more fascinating stories in CBB. It makes you happy to have a coach like Sean Miller.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Why does Morales even feel the need to post that. Poor Taste ... like sour grapes.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Frybry02 wrote:Why does Morales even feel the need to post that. Poor Taste ... like sour grapes.
Respectfully disagree.....we are talking about a lot of kids who have egos bigger than they should have due to social media, posses, etc......This tweet is only par for the course for athletes, and Millenials, and should serve as a warning to others. Stick by your commitments, work hard, and good things will come.

Transferring from UA to LSU was a weak move IMHO and I don't think Morales went overboard with pointing that out.....that's his job. Just my two cents. :-)
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:Why does Morales even feel the need to post that. Poor Taste ... like sour grapes.
Respectfully disagree.....we are talking about a lot of kids who have egos bigger than they should have due to social media, posses, etc......This tweet is only par for the course for athletes, and Millenials, and should serve as a warning to others. Stick by your commitments, work hard, and good things will come.

Transferring from UA to LSU was a weak move IMHO and I don't think Morales went overboard with pointing that out.....that's his job. Just my two cents. :-)
Based on your view, then shame on Tollefson and Anderson for transferring and not living up to their original commitments. What about McConnell and Lyons?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Frybry02 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Based on your view, then shame on Tollefson and Anderson for transferring and not living up to their original commitments. What about McConnell and Lyons?
You're kidding, right?! Please tell me I don't have to point out the differences between CV transferring and those 4. Please, lord, tell me you're not that stupid....maybe it's too much to ask, though.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Victor was trying to improve his situation just like the others.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I was disappointed when Victor transferred because I had hopes for him in an Arizona uniform. It is in the past and there was and is still no reason for Morales to bring it up.
Last edited by Frybry02 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

You're kidding, right?! Please tell me I don't have to point out the differences between CV transferring and those 4. Please, lord, tell me you're not that stupid....maybe it's too much to ask, though.
I love how people have to resort to personal attacks when they disagree.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Frybry02 wrote:I was disappointed when Victore transfer because I had hopes for him in an Arizona uniform. It is in the past and there was and still no reason for Morales to bring it up.
Hansen brings up how transfers out of Arizona rarely work out all the time.
-JB
az91

Post by az91 »

Frybry02 wrote:I was disappointed when Victor transferred because I had hopes for him in an Arizona uniform. It is in the past and there was and is still no reason for Morales to bring it up.
Why not bring it up? Like someone posted above, the LSU implosion of a season is fascinating stuff. I think Johnny Jones should be fired for getting so little out of so much talent.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Will Bynum and Ruben Douglas worked out, that's about it. Arizona did fight to keep both though which says it all.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

az91 wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:I was disappointed when Victor transferred because I had hopes for him in an Arizona uniform. It is in the past and there was and is still no reason for Morales to bring it up.
Why not bring it up? Like someone posted above, the LSU implosion of a season is fascinating stuff. I think Johnny Jones should be fired for getting so little out of so much talent.
Why waste time, thoughts, and energy on Chol and Victor? Wildcat supports should be above "that's what you get" mentality. If Chol and Victor didn't want to be wildcats, then good riddance. End of story.

The LSU implosion is intriguing and agree with you about Jones
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Momo Jones did pretty well at Iona. Zane Johnson at Hawaii. Mohamed Tangara at Chaminade. 2 latter of course not really rotation players.

Not a traditional transfer, but Jeff Withey had a nice career at KU.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Merkin wrote:Victor could have contacted LSU while still a UA player with no tampering involved. Just has to come from him, not from LSU.
gumby wrote:Hey, 19. The Cuervo Gold. The fine Colombian ...
You know you are getting old when Columbian Gold was the best stuff you could get.
Uh... Michoacan/Acapulco Gold/Kona Gold... yes, I am THAT old.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Bangkok Wildcat

Frybry02 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Thanks Frybry02....classy post....you and I were having a civil disagreement and dcZONA attempts to strengthen his argument by calling me stupid.....smh. I would love to defend my point but he doesn't deserve any further acknowledgement.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Merkin wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't understand Morales' point here? He probably played significantly more minutes than he would have here and looks from the stats like Victor had a perfectly fine season for a sophomore so he seems to be developing there too.

These guys aren't in college just to win college basketball games. They're there to give themselves a chance at a future (whether via their education or in basketball). There's no evidence here that Victor has hurt his chances at playing pro ball by moving to LSU and no evidence that York has helped his chances to play pro ball by staying at Arizona.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

az91 wrote:
Watching LSU was watching a program with no culture. They played bad D, no one cared. They had ko real offensive plan and just threw Simmons the ball. It was the kind of thing that would have had Miller ripping people's throats out, and just nothing.

I feel bad for their players for being in such a directionless situation. With their talent in a weak SEC, the tourney should have been a given. Instead they turn down a NIT bid, which is waving the ultimate white flag.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Thanks Frybry02....classy post....you and I were having a civil disagreement and dcZONA attempts to strengthen his argument by calling me stupid.....smh. I would love to defend my point but he doesn't deserve any further acknowledgement.
Frybry, you are right, and I was wrong. I completely misinterpreted your post thinking you were saying shame on Tollefson and Anderson and TJ and Lyons were in the wrong transferring. Bangkok, I wasn't at all addressing your post so I apologize if it seemed that way.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Watching LSU was watching a program with no culture. They played bad D, no one cared. They had ko real offensive plan and just threw Simmons the ball. It was the kind of thing that would have had Miller ripping people's throats out, and just nothing.

I feel bad for their players for being in such a directionless situation. With their talent in a weak SEC, the tourney should have been a given. Instead they turn down a NIT bid, which is waving the ultimate white flag.
apparently, lsu turned down the NIT invite because johnny jones thought the team was too banged-up and he wanted to begin focusing on next season rather than incur any further injuries in the tourney. hahaha, okay dude. the upside to playing in the NIT far outweigh the benefits of staying home doing pushups and running drills or whatever. that's either a weak alibi or plain stupidity by the tigers. or maybe it's one of the luxuries of being an sec basketball team not named kentucky.

i wonder what their fans think about it.
az91

Post by az91 »

dirtbags wrote: i wonder what their fans think about it.
LSU basketball has fans?
Bangkok Wildcat

dcZONAfan wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Frybry, you are right, and I was wrong. I completely misinterpreted your post thinking you were saying shame on Tollefson and Anderson and TJ and Lyons were in the wrong transferring. Bangkok, I wasn't at all addressing your post so I apologize if it seemed that way.
RESPECT dcZONAfan for manning up and admitting your mistake.....we all make mistakes and I appreciate your apology sincerely. This board is for fun, posting opinions, respectful disagreements, etc. and it's easily my favorite website....I just hope we all keep it as civil as possible even when we adamantly disagree.

After all, it's not like we are ASSU Scummies :-)......We are cool dcZONAfan.....I enjoy reading your input. Peace!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Watching LSU was watching a program with no culture. They played bad D, no one cared. They had ko real offensive plan and just threw Simmons the ball. It was the kind of thing that would have had Miller ripping people's throats out, and just nothing.

apparently, lsu turned down the NIT invite because johnny jones thought the team was too banged-up and he wanted to begin focusing on next season rather than incur any further injuries in the tourney. hahaha, okay dude. the upside to playing in the NIT far outweigh the benefits of staying home doing pushups and running drills or whatever. that's either a weak alibi or plain stupidity by the tigers. or maybe it's one of the luxuries of being an sec basketball team not named kentucky.

i wonder what their fans think about it.
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/lsu- ... /62410999/" target="_blank

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/lsu- ... /62416897/" target="_blank
Bangkok Wildcat

dcZONAfan, my point was mostly regarding Victor transferring......Of course these guys need to take care of themselves BUT I hate that he wasted so much of our resources and IMHO, seems to have made a poor choice.

He essentially took a redshirt year by having to sit out when he could have been better served by either fighting for a spot here or redshirting then playing this year.....I firmly believe CSM and Arizona would have been better for his career than LSU and the mediocrity of that program.

Now, if he had personal reasons (i.e. Homesick, family issues, etc.) then that's up to him. Just disappointed to see players quit on us after we've spent so much on them.....Aslo, you could ask the question 'Was he Arizona good?'.......I think he is/was.....thoughts?