UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by azcat49 »

Good points hater. I like this roster. We should be better offensively and the spacing might be better. Big question mark for me is the play at PG and the 3.

I think we maybe lose 1 non conference and win 14 at least in conference so I think we go into the tourney with 28-29 wins. That should be good enough for a top 4 seed and will allow us to make another deep run
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Now we can officially start talking about 2015-2016

Deep roster. Plenty of experience. Senior leaders. Freshmen phenoms. Solid inside game. Solid outside game. Great coach.

What's not to like?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:Now we can officially start talking about 2015-2016

Deep roster. Plenty of experience. Senior leaders. Freshmen phenoms. Solid inside game. Solid outside game. Great coach.

What's not to like?
If the freshmen and Anderson are as good as advertised, we win the Pac again.
gumby

Post by gumby »

azcat34 wrote:What's up with this NY based Huffington Post reporter dropping all these bombs. He's not in the know right?
One for three on those tweets. Called The Shultz Report, because "I know nothing!"
Right where I want to be.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I am being virtually assured this team wins the PAC title again.
Mike Luke's burner account.
az91

Post by az91 »

Who is the back-up PG? Simon? Gabe? Kadeem?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

az91 wrote:Who is the back-up PG? Simon? Gabe? Kadeem?
Yes
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

First we should establish who the best starting pg is. pjc was beyond awful on road games last season. He had 10 turnovers in 65 minutes of road games and looked even wiser. We can't have a pg who can't handle a road crowd.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

unc is the favorite?

ugh. kill me.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Who the hell is Mike Thorne? Thought we were done. Wait, didn't he go to Illinois?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Look at the date of the tweet! I am pretty sure our roster is full
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

CalStateTempe wrote:unc is the favorite?

ugh. kill me.
They will def be overrated
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azcat49 wrote:Who the hell is Mike Thorne? Thought we were done. Wait, didn't he go to Illinois?
I just wanted to show what a joke Jordan is. I wonder if he works at pgu?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We still have an open scholarship.

Pic
Simon
Allen
Trier
Pitts
York
Smith
Comanche
Anderson
Ristic
Tarc
Toleffsen

My guess is they give it to the most experienced walk on
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Hazzard gets it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Irish27 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Who the hell is Mike Thorne? Thought we were done. Wait, didn't he go to Illinois?
I just wanted to show what a joke Jordan is. I wonder if he works at pgu?
Schultz floated literally 8 different rumors, only one of which came true. He's a clown.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Next year's team is looking pretty damn solid. Obvious favorites in the conference. Im excited
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Kid's got some long arms, which will make him a nice change of pace on defense if PJC's man is going off.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Definitely a foul on the player guarding the rim.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Do we play Michigan next year again?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3goggles wrote:Do we play Michigan next year again?
Nope. We got Mizzou though, which sucks.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Kadeem Allen also switching to #5.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Cal venue rocking.

Surprise! Jaylen Brown to Cal

Cal wasn’t even a serious contender until late March – when Brown made a “secret” visit to the school after returning from his Michigan trip.

http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2015/05/ ... wn-to-cal/
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I really hope Cal is good next year. We need someone to challenge us
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

HiCat wrote:Cal venue rocking.

Surprise! Jaylen Brown to Cal

Cal wasn’t even a serious contender until late March – when Brown made a “secret” visit to the school after returning from his Michigan trip.

http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2015/05/ ... wn-to-cal/
How the fuck are all these Adidas kids choosing Nike schools??? Oh wait because it's stupid
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I think chance looks pretty good to me! Just sayin!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:I really hope Cal is good next year. We need someone to challenge us
No we don't. I've seen this line from other Arizona fans and never understood it. I'm not opposed to competition within the conference, but the ineptitude of the rest of our conference hasn't hurt us on a national scale once. People only want a challenge until that challenge has surpassed us. Be careful what you wish for.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I really hope Cal is good next year. We need someone to challenge us
No we don't. I've seen this line from other Arizona fans and never understood it. I'm not opposed to competition within the conference, but the ineptitude of the rest of our conference hasn't hurt us on a national scale once. People only want a challenge until that challenge has surpassed us. Be careful what you wish for.
So are you implying that Cal has a chance to surpass the Cats? Not likely. They don't have the support. Oh they may be our biggest competition for a few years, but likely will go the way of Stanford, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. Eventually they will fade back into mediocrity. Other than UCLA I don't see another problem capable of wining on a consistent basis (maybe Utah?).
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Catintheheat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
So are you implying that Cal has a chance to surpass the Cats? Not likely. They don't have the support. Oh they may be our biggest competition for a few years, but likely will go the way of Stanford, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. Eventually they will fade back into mediocrity. Other than UCLA I don't see another problem capable of wining on a consistent basis (maybe Utah?).
Cal is now the challenger to the Cats for the next few years in the Pac 12. They are way too talented to be overlooked. If we do that, we are in a boatload of trouble... It remains to be seen how they will hold up after that, but that is irrelavent right now. What matters is this year. And they look good.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Next few years? I only see one year out of that group.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Fuck Cal. They'll show up with some firepower this year but that's about it. And who knows how their team this year will gel or if the freshman are as good as advertised. Outside of Okafor and Oden-caliber players frosh are always a crapshoot. The college basketball 'experts' on Twitter anointing Cal with the P12 and top-3 rankings for the upcoming year are a bunch of overreactionary morons.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Catintheheat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm implying Cal has a chance to surpass the Cats next season. I'm far from insinuating any more than that. I don't know about you, but I like winning the conference comfortably. Whether the conference is strong or not Arizona will always be challenged one way or the other as we get everyone's best shot, so the idea that we need a team to be as good as Cal could possibly be next season is just silly to me.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm implying Cal has a chance to surpass the Cats next season. I'm far from insinuating any more than that. I don't know about you, but I like winning the conference comfortably. Whether the conference is strong or not Arizona will always be challenged one way or the other as we get everyone's best shot, so the idea that we need a team to be as good as Cal could possibly be next season is just silly to me.
Fighting its way through a tough conference schedule prepares a team for March. Think differently? See Gonzaga.

Other than that, I don't really see much benefit. Exposure? That's yet to be demonstrated. An entertaining conference benefits the fans for sure, but the program less so, IMO.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I feel pretty confident that Cal won't pull a recruiting class this good again until the next Jason Kidd or Ivan Rabb. Happens every couple of decades. Cal will benefit for one season, and they'll be really good. They could definitely top Arizona. But nobody really knows yet how well either Cal or Arizona will come together.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Puerco wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Fighting its way through a tough conference schedule prepares a team for March. Think differently? See Gonzaga.

Other than that, I don't really see much benefit. Exposure? That's yet to be demonstrated. An entertaining conference benefits the fans for sure, but the program less so, IMO.
I don't disagree, but outside of the bottom of the barrel in this conference, the conference will never be and has never been as bad as the rest of the WCC outside of BYU & St. Mary's here and there. Also fwiw Arizona's best season ever ('88) came during a year where only two other teams in the conference had over 16 total wins on the season and I think we can agree that Arizona didn't lose in the Final Four that year due solely to the fact that the conference was utter crap that season. Let's not forget the numerous small conference schools that have made Final Fours since our last one as well though.

Great post though, I agree with the rest of what you said. Great games benefit certain fans that's for sure, but I happen to be one of those fans that would rather see Arizona win by 100 than be in a fantastic close game. Then again I value my health very much so that may have something to do with it :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:I feel pretty confident that Cal won't pull a recruiting class this good again until the next Jason Kidd or Ivan Rabb. Happens every couple of decades. Cal will benefit for one season, and they'll be really good. They could definitely top Arizona. But nobody really knows yet how well either Cal or Arizona will come together.
I'm also confident that Cal won't land another elite prospect who went to the same high school as Shareef Abdur-Rahim any time soon. I'm curious how the Cal staff at that time pulled a kid from Georgia anyways. Who was their coach then? Ben Braun?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Along with Rabb, California is also bringing in four-star small forward Davon Dillard and three-star wing Tyson Jolly. The Golden Bears return starting guards Tyrone Wallace (17.1 points, 7.1 rebounds), Jordan Mathews (13.6 points per game) and Jabari Bird (10.5 points per game), meaning they will trot out one of the most talented starting fives in the country.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... lden-bears

ESPN ranks our 2015 recruiting class 5th and Cal 6th. Should be a fun game for sure
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

One benefit is getting a #1 seed and not having to play Wisconsin in the West region.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe wrote:
Along with Rabb, California is also bringing in four-star small forward Davon Dillard and three-star wing Tyson Jolly. The Golden Bears return starting guards Tyrone Wallace (17.1 points, 7.1 rebounds), Jordan Mathews (13.6 points per game) and Jabari Bird (10.5 points per game), meaning they will trot out one of the most talented starting fives in the country.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... lden-bears

ESPN ranks our 2015 recruiting class 5th and Cal 6th. Should be a fun game for sure
Cal fan sure has some big mouths over there. Hopefully we shut them up this year. They all think Rabb & Brown will stay 2 years or more.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Puerco wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

One benefit is getting a #1 seed and not having to play Wisconsin in the West region.
That was really our fault above all else, plus this year was a bit of a fluke year. How many years has a team with our resume not receive a 1 seed, especially in the one and done era? Nova won majority of the games they were supposed to win, so did we, but we lost one too many and they lost one less. It was our fault for losing to ASU, Beavs, and UNLV, nothing less, nothing more. Also partially Miller's fault for the weaker non-conference schedule (Michigan is not his fault though).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I just mean that if the conference had more national respect, OSU and ASU might not have been such bad losses.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Puerco wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

The main reason Wisconsin was an issue was because they shot nearly 80% in the 2nd and scored 30 points in the second from 3 point shots alone. Had Wisconsin shot like they did against Duke, AZ would have walked into the final four. #1 seed rankings are typically overrated unless a team is Duke and they get their customary weak region and the weakest #2 seed.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Longhorned wrote:I feel pretty confident that Cal won't pull a recruiting class this good again until the next Jason Kidd or Ivan Rabb. Happens every couple of decades. Cal will benefit for one season, and they'll be really good. They could definitely top Arizona. But nobody really knows yet how well either Cal or Arizona will come together.
Hard to say. It was quite a coup. Granted, if Rabb wasn't local, they don't get Rabb or Brown, so your point is well taken. Still, other recruits will now pay attention moving forward, at least for a couple of years.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

And this is the time of the year where basketball is winding down, coach goes on vacation, and the message boards are dead.

What am I going to do until August?
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:And this is the time of the year where basketball is winding down, coach goes on vacation, and the message boards are dead.

What am I going to do until August?
:cry: :( :cry: :(