Re: Arizona in the 2015 NBA Draft

Post by Hobbes »

azcat49 wrote:Portland will regret trading him
RHJ will make sure of that!
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

:shock:
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Honor the process
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I feel for Brandon Ashley. He was highly thought of when he came to UA. Going undrafted has to be very disappointing. I know he was injured but I never expected him to go undrafted. Maybe he played too tentative the last season. Do you think if he returned it would have made a difference?
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Maybe they forgot Bash was still available :(
Mike Luke's burner account.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I have a feeling this won't be the last we hear of Bash and the NBA. He'll make it.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catintheheat wrote:I feel for Brandon Ashley. He was highly thought of when he came to UA. Going undrafted has to be very disappointing. I know he was injured but I never expected him to go undrafted. Maybe he played too tentative the last season. Do you think if he returned it would have made a difference?
He had a motor that only kicked in for 2-3 minute stretches once or twice a game. If he played with the energy of TJ or RHJ, he might have been a late first rounder.

When he was on, he was good. When he wasn't, he was almost invisible. No one is drafting a kid with the hope he can all of a sudden turn on enough passion that he makes himself into a 20+ minutes of energy kind of guy.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Remind me again how one more year of college wouldn't have helped Ashley?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What would it have changed, except Ryan Anderson taking his minutes?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:What would it have changed, except Ryan Anderson taking his minutes?
Anderson is better than a senior Ashley, eh? Either Anderson is better than I realize, or you really don't think much of Ashley.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:What would it have changed, except Ryan Anderson taking his minutes?
Anderson is better than a senior Ashley, eh? Either Anderson is better than I realize, or you really don't think much of Ashley.
A) I think very highly of Anderson
B) Of course Anderson would have eaten into his minutes. You don't bring in a 15 pt, 8 reb senior transfer to get 10 minutes off the bench.

I'm not sure who would have started in that scenario, but I'd be willing to bet Ashley's minutes would have gone down.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:I feel for Brandon Ashley. He was highly thought of when he came to UA. Going undrafted has to be very disappointing. I know he was injured but I never expected him to go undrafted. Maybe he played too tentative the last season. Do you think if he returned it would have made a difference?
He had a motor that only kicked in for 2-3 minute stretches once or twice a game. If he played with the energy of TJ or RHJ, he might have been a late first rounder.

When he was on, he was good. When he wasn't, he was almost invisible. No one is drafting a kid with the hope he can all of a sudden turn on enough passion that he makes himself into a 20+ minutes of energy kind of guy.
Pretty much spot on. People will want to blame the injury, but I always thought the same thing holding him back this season has always been present. Motor and the cliche "killer instinct." I think the fact he has that apathetic look on his face most of the time, whether its intentional or not, hurts him. And the way he reacted to fouls called on him (and yes, he had the worst luck w the refs), just compounds it. There are just too many guys as good as him or that have a solid tool or tools to offer an NBA team above what he has that have that fight in them. It may not be the case, but a lot of the time ot just look like hes one of those talented guys who only plays because he is talented.

Again, hate to bash bash here, but this is not all that surprising.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Compare Derrick Williams size, athletic ability and skill set when he left. Now compare that with Ashley. Now compare their motors and what their drive looked like when they both left. Leadership. Consistency. Performance.

And whats D Will doing in the league right now?

Thats what really put things into perspective for me about Bash.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

TJ signed as a free agent by Philly. He is going home!
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

BAsh stood more to gain coming back for his senior year than most. Most players at that level are fully evaluated, with the league knowing more than they know about themselves.

And, yes, BAsh would have had some competition returning.

Which is exactly why he could have gained a lot. If he could have come back, shown the motor some saw as missing, and shown a season of health like he had when we were undefeated in 13-14 before the injury (that team should have won a title)...he could have gained a ton.

There was a risk tho...come back, be overshadowed as a senior, do nothing for your future.

But there is no doubt if BAsh had come back, had been fully healthy at Pre-Cal-game level, and got stoked to kick ass and own his position and lead this team? Those same 1st round projections prior to the injury would have come back. In that respect, it is very accurate to say he stood to gain more than most high profile juniors by returning his senior year. He had questions beyond just his 100% maximum level of play left unanswered. By coming back, he could have filled the gaps.

He also could have disappointed and lost a year. Perhaps this was more of a concern for BAsh than coming back and gearing up to kick ass for 35 games and do school was intriguing. He is choosing the less risky road, and if he has the motor and the skill, he will show it in the summer league, and all that will be lost is that guaranteed slot money, but he will still get his if he is capable of playing in the league. He is betting on himself in the professional setting over setting the world on fire at Arizona. So while he stood to gain a lot, potentially, by coming back, he also stood risk of a really frustrating senior year with no significant gain. Now, he can get out there and get what he wants and see what is next.

Go BASH...I hope you light the Lakers up...
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

rgdeuce wrote:Compare Derrick Williams size, athletic ability and skill set when he left. Now compare that with Ashley. Now compare their motors and what their drive looked like when they both left. Leadership. Consistency. Performance.

And whats D Will doing in the league right now?

Thats what really put things into perspective for me about Bash.
Great post.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Main Event wrote:
That's what I am talking about jack
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

4 hours ago • Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

T.J. McConnell's workouts for the Suns and 14 other NBA teams paid off Thursday.
Enlarge Photo

Former Arizona Wildcats guard T.J. McConnell agreed to a partially guaranteed contract with the Philadelphia 76ers just after the draft ended, his agent, Chris Emens, told the Star early Friday morning.

Arizona’s other undrafted prospect, Brandon Ashley, meanwhile has reportedly agreed to a summer league invite from the Los Angeles Lakers.

Emens said McConnell would probably have been drafted had he been willing to be a second-round “stash” pick who would only be assigned to a D-League team with no chance to make the NBA club while it kept his rights.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/e ... 0aedb.html
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EVCat wrote:BAsh stood more to gain coming back for his senior year than most. Most players at that level are fully evaluated, with the league knowing more than they know about themselves.

And, yes, BAsh would have had some competition returning.

Which is exactly why he could have gained a lot. If he could have come back, shown the motor some saw as missing, and shown a season of health like he had when we were undefeated in 13-14 before the injury (that team should have won a title)...he could have gained a ton.

There was a risk tho...come back, be overshadowed as a senior, do nothing for your future.

But there is no doubt if BAsh had come back, had been fully healthy at Pre-Cal-game level, and got stoked to kick ass and own his position and lead this team? Those same 1st round projections prior to the injury would have come back. In that respect, it is very accurate to say he stood to gain more than most high profile juniors by returning his senior year. He had questions beyond just his 100% maximum level of play left unanswered. By coming back, he could have filled the gaps.

He also could have disappointed and lost a year. Perhaps this was more of a concern for BAsh than coming back and gearing up to kick ass for 35 games and do school was intriguing. He is choosing the less risky road, and if he has the motor and the skill, he will show it in the summer league, and all that will be lost is that guaranteed slot money, but he will still get his if he is capable of playing in the league. He is betting on himself in the professional setting over setting the world on fire at Arizona. So while he stood to gain a lot, potentially, by coming back, he also stood risk of a really frustrating senior year with no significant gain. Now, he can get out there and get what he wants and see what is next.

Go BASH...I hope you light the Lakers up...
The bolded parts assume that Ashley can just "turn on" his motor and show something he's never really shown.

In high school one knock on him was consistent effort. We saw that in his final game where he was largely invisible until he all of a sudden caught fire at the end, started to dominate, and willed his team to victory. Most people surrounding the program, including fans, saw that domination and drooled at the prospect of him getting a fire lit under him by Sean Miller so he would play that way for 30+ minutes. In three years that just didn't happen, so I'm fairly confident a fourth year wouldn't have changed anything in that respect.

Ashley didn't even play with consistent effort in front of scouts at the draft combine, and that's when draft position and a future job were on the line. If he wasn't going to give 100% then (or at least the appearance of 100%), who is to say the light would have some on with another year in an Arizona uniform?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Ashley didn't even play with consistent effort in front of scouts at the draft combine, and that's when draft position and a future job were on the line. If he wasn't going to give 100% then (or at least the appearance of 100%), who is to say the light would have some on with another year in an Arizona uniform?

Disappointing to hear. I hope he takes his summer opportunity more seriously. He can
play when he's on. But with the Lakers, he'll have to step on the gas.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:Disappointing to hear. I hope he takes his summer opportunity more seriously. He can
I don't think it's a conscious thing with him. Like, I don't think he says to himself, "eh, I can just take it easy here for a while". I think it's more that he gets into this mode where he defers a good bit and then gets out of rhythm with the offense. He has to remind himself to move to get open and things like that.

But holy cow, in stretches he was far and away our best player on the floor. He was never that kind of sneaky presence where you look at the stats for the game and without realizing it he's went for double digit points. When he was on, you couldn't help but notice how he dominated. He had a stretch of 5 or 6 games, starting with the Gonzaga win where I thought the light had come on and he was going to finally play up to his potential and talent. He was so damn good in those games and I honestly thought it was going to be him, not Stanley, Rondae, or TJ, who was going to take us to the Final Four.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

That's great to see TJ got a nice amount of guaranteed money. Hopefully he'll stick on a roster and have a good long cup of coffee in the NBA.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
HiCat wrote:Disappointing to hear. I hope he takes his summer opportunity more seriously. He can
I don't think it's a conscious thing with him. Like, I don't think he says to himself, "eh, I can just take it easy here for a while". I think it's more that he gets into this mode where he defers a good bit and then gets out of rhythm with the offense. He has to remind himself to move to get open and things like that.

But holy cow, in stretches he was far and away our best player on the floor. He was never that kind of sneaky presence where you look at the stats for the game and without realizing it he's went for double digit points. When he was on, you couldn't help but notice how he dominated. He had a stretch of 5 or 6 games, starting with the Gonzaga win where I thought the light had come on and he was going to finally play up to his potential and talent. He was so damn good in those games and I honestly thought it was going to be him, not Stanley, Rondae, or TJ, who was going to take us to the Final Four.
I'm not sure it's because he isn't trying. Brandon was never aggressive or assertive. He would always let the game happen to him instead of making things happen. I think he played hard, but when you're fighting for your NBA life at the combine, you have to go make things happen, not just sit back and let the game come to you.

He's the anti-J.R. Smith.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

and Detroit is already hatin': http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colum ... /29313641/

They will see soon enough :D
Last edited by Jefe on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I got to the part about who they should have drafted instead...

Booker still hasn't turned 19. He's not terribly strong. A modest gust of wind might send his 6-foot-6 frame crashing to the ground. He has difficulty getting off his shot in crowded space. He would be a defensive liability. He might require significant time in the Developmental League during his rookie season to get regular playing time he couldn't earn with the parent club.

. . . . and stopped reading. They'd be roasting the front office for taking a guy at #10 to stash him in the D-League. Stanley was one of the most plug-and-play guys in the draft. Only morons think otherwise.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

What Stanley tried to wear...

Stanley Johnson ‏@iAmSJ 22 hours ago

It's a Machine Washable Blazer #NBAStyle

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Detroit seems like a pretty decent situation. Brooklyn...yikes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Image

and Detroit is already hatin': http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colum ... /29313641/

They will see soon enough :D
Opinion pieces like that are why Detroit is bankrupt.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Opinion pieces like that are why Detroit is bankrupt.
:lol: :lol:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Some fans are just dumb as hell, it is what it is. I have read comments from multiple Knicks fans upset about their pick (I probably wouldn't like it there either, being an inpatient knicks fan), but they were throwing out names of guys they should have taken ahead of him, and Frank Kaminsky was thrown out A LOT.

Speaking of Stanley, what is up with all of these guys saying "offensively he needs a lot of work" and talking like he is a liability shooting the ball? The outside shot was a concern coming into Arizona and he shot over 37 percent from behind the arc as a college freshman. His 2pfg% should be a lot better, but shows a promising midrange game and shot off the dribble. He is going to finish off the break. He shoots 75 percent from the foul line and got there 5 times a game (and the refs should have sent him there a lot more). The only thing offensively that jumps out as a concern is his finishing in traffic or with contact.

Actually, no need to answer that. Most of these guys dont watch that many games, and probably none of ours until it got to be tournament time. So that would make sense they judged him on only that.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LMAO tell me that isnt real? stanley?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Kevin Parrom
Really proud of @r.hollisjefferson23 !!! Now New Yorkers can see the shimmy in BK #Beardown

rgdeuce wrote:LMAO tell me that isnt real? stanley?
They showed him for a split second in the room with the all the guys before the group photo and he had no jacket on. I imagine his Agent made him change :lol:
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

HiCat wrote:4 hours ago • Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

T.J. McConnell's workouts for the Suns and 14 other NBA teams paid off Thursday.
Enlarge Photo

Former Arizona Wildcats guard T.J. McConnell agreed to a partially guaranteed contract with the Philadelphia 76ers just after the draft ended, his agent, Chris Emens, told the Star early Friday morning.

Arizona’s other undrafted prospect, Brandon Ashley, meanwhile has reportedly agreed to a summer league invite from the Los Angeles Lakers.

Emens said McConnell would probably have been drafted had he been willing to be a second-round “stash” pick who would only be assigned to a D-League team with no chance to make the NBA club while it kept his rights.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/e ... 0aedb.html
Really smart move by TJ to go undrafted. Can't wait to see him in an NBA uniform. :D
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't follow the NBA at all, so had no idea you can decline to be drafted in the 2nd round, and sent to the D league with no chance of getting in the league.

Good choice then.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:I don't follow the NBA at all, so had no idea you can decline to be drafted in the 2nd round, and sent to the D league with no chance of getting in the league.

Good choice then.
It's not a formal thing, it's an agreement between team and player. A lot of teams do it with Euros, too. Draft with an agreement they will play 2-3 more years in Europe.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

"Im really close with his College Coach Sean Miller, we worked together years ago. I talked to him 3 times about him. The last time, yesterday, to say hey look, we're gonna take your guy and I cant get screwed on this"

:lol:
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

haha - i wish stan stuck with the zip-up blazer. the lapels on his backup suit were wiiiide

best of luck to bash this summer. agree with the rationale for leaving, though i would've loved to have seen seniors bash + zeus put a lid on rabb and the new jacks from berkeley next season. the current guys on roster will make it happen, anyway.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Remind me again how one more year of college wouldn't have helped Ashley?
Completely agree. Ashley had ZERO business declaring for the draft knowing that he likely wasn't going to be drafted. To those that say he would have lost minutes to Anderson I have one question: If Ashley is scared of competition at the college level then what business did he have declaring for the draft??......do you think the competition is going to be weaker in the NBA???

Had Bash returned Miller could have utilized him at the 3 position (his best bet if he wants to play in the league) and as the primary backup at the 4 and at the 5 in a pinch. Its not like we have a healthy 4 year senior returning at the small forward position. With Smiths health still a serious question mark and Comanche not physically ready to bang with the big boys Ashley would have found plenty of playing time.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

My question with regards to Ashley is, does graduating mean nothing to these "student" athletes these days?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dmjcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Remind me again how one more year of college wouldn't have helped Ashley?
Completely agree. Ashley had ZERO business declaring for the draft knowing that he likely wasn't going to be drafted. To those that say he would have lost minutes to Anderson I have one question: If Ashley is scared of competition at the college level then what business did he have declaring for the draft??......do you think the competition is going to be weaker in the NBA???

Had Bash returned Miller could have utilized him at the 3 position (his best bet if he wants to play in the league) and as the primary backup at the 4 and at the 5 in a pinch. Its not like we have a healthy 4 year senior returning at the small forward position. With Smiths health still a serious question mark and Comanche not physically ready to bang with the big boys Ashley would have found plenty of playing time.
He had nothing to gain coming back. How would losing half his minutes as a senior help? Dumb post is dumb. This is just homer fan sour grapes.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

He had nothing to gain coming back. How would losing half his minutes as a senior help? Dumb post is dumb. This is just homer fan sour grapes.
Rigggggghhhhhhhhhttttt Losing ALL of his minutes in a failed attempt in the NBA is a better move......talk about a dumb post LOL
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Ashley was exposed enough at the 4 defensively off the dribble. He would have been killed at the 3.

Got to agree with Hater here, it was his time to go and get his pro career started. He could have comeback and maybe next years draft might be weaker but I just can't see the upside he would have gained.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:Ashley was exposed enough at the 4 defensively off the dribble. He would have been killed at the 3.

Got to agree with Hater here, it was his time to go and get his pro career started. He could have comeback and maybe next years draft might be weaker but I just can't see the upside he would have gained.
"Time to get his pro career started"???? Lets see, the same posters who believe he's going to lose minutes at the UA or can't make it playing the 3 at the college level are convinced he has a pro career????? :lol:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Obviously you don't understand the conversation so you should probably remove yourself from it.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If he came back I just don't think he gets any closer to the league than he is now. He may never make it but hey, he can make bank overseas.

The only reason he might have come back was that he loved the college life and valued that degree, ala Tarc.

He would have left after his sophomore season had he not got hurt which with that injury may have hastened his leaving as well.

Just because he did not get drafted doesn't validate anyone's argument he should have stayed
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

azcat49 wrote:If he came back I just don't think he gets any closer to the league than he is now. He may never make it but hey, he can make bank overseas.

The only reason he might have come back was that he loved the college life and valued that degree, ala Tarc.

He would have left after his sophomore season had he not got hurt which with that injury may have hastened his leaving as well.

Just because he did not get drafted doesn't validate anyone's argument he should have stayed
Tarczewski came back, because he wanted another year of playing competitive basketball and knows he would have gone undrafted.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Actually most projections had Tarc being drafted if he came out. How's Cliff?

enfuego

Post by enfuego »

ASUHATER! wrote:Actually most projections had Tarc being drafted if he came out. How's Cliff?
Most projections had Brandon Ashley being drafted too. How is that working out for him?