Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '19

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:247 has us leading for Mannion
Brandon and Nico in back to back classes would be so awesome.
Especially if BW isn't one and done. I'm amazed at Sean's resilience on the recruiting trail. If the '18 class is his low point, we're in terrific shape. Just trying to think big picture here. I've been praising Oregon/Altman in the other thread, which is I think is merited, but Sean has already shown that when the wind is in his sails in Tucson, he's consistently producing a top 10 team.

Excited for the future.
I really doubt Brandon has any shot at one and done. Guards his size very rarely have that potential. You have to produce like Sexton, Young or Fox to be able to make the leap.

Then you have guys like Brunson. If I was Brandon, that's the goal. He can be that sort of 2-3 year guy who develops into the sort of guy who might not be a star in the NBA but is a constant bench asset and has a 10 year career.
I mean ultimately Sexton, Young, and Fox had the opportunity via volume to produce like that. I honestly have no clue what this Arizona team will look like next year and if Williams would even have the volume opportunity to put up the numbers those guys did. I don't think there's a world where he comes close to Trae Young's volume, but I think De'Aaron Fox's volume isn't out of the realm of possibility (12 shots and 6 Free throw attempts per game), but I agree that Brunson's frosh year or similar to it should be the goal.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

hmmmm

He is the No. 23 player in the 2020 class, but he is expected to reclassify to 2019, meaning he would begin his college career in 2019-20.

Mannion is currently training with the Italian men’s national team and hopes to play in the 2020 Olympics.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... recruiting" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Everything I’ve read about Nico assumes he’s going to reclassify to ‘19.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Texas. We haven't had much luck getting hoops players out of there lately.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Gainey already working. Good to see.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There's another offer too, but linking tweets on mobile sucks for me.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:There's another offer too, but linking tweets on mobile sucks for me.
Just delete everything from the ? on then wrap in the tweet code.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:There's another offer too, but linking tweets on mobile sucks for me.
Just delete everything from the ? on then wrap in the tweet code.
Thanks for the tip.
Gainey really trying to utilize his North Carolina connections.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

There seems to be a bit of a shift to 50-100 guys vs what recruiting was prior to the FBI scandal. Both Withers and Williams are in that ranking level.

If we can get, retain and develop kids in that area, it may not be immediate dividends, but an experienced core down the line would be nice.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:There seems to be a bit of a shift to 50-100 guys vs what recruiting was prior to the FBI scandal. Both Withers and Williams are in that ranking level.

If we can get, retain and develop kids in that area, it may not be immediate dividends, but an experienced core down the line would be nice.
I wouldn't be surprised if, in addition to a philosophy change in order to retain more talent/have more experienced teams ala Villanova, this may be due to the ending of the one-and-done rule. It's a risky time investment to go after top 20 talent going forward when the one-and-done seems to be coming to an end shortly.

Very interested to see the types of offers being put out there - a ton of athletic and long wings, which I'm all for. I'm also interested to see how Gainey and Peters do in their first recruiting class.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:There seems to be a bit of a shift to 50-100 guys vs what recruiting was prior to the FBI scandal. Both Withers and Williams are in that ranking level.

This 2019 class will likely be the last of the one and done. It would make sense to recruit a core that'll be more experienced in 2020 where Kentucky, Duke, Kansas will have to rebuild and cant land usual one and dones. We'd be a step ahead.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I actually think a core of 3-4 year players ranked 50-100 is Sean Miller's recipe for a FF/national title.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

19 offers already, warm on 6 of them. Rankings are 17, 28, 45, 64 147, and 165. Also offered 1, 5, 7, 9, 10, 18, 26, 58, 77,106, 107, and 187

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/S ... all/Offers" target="_blank

Had not heard of #1 Wiseman. This kid is going to dominate

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

This 2019 class will likely be the last of the one and done. It would make sense to recruit a core that'll be more experienced in 2020 where Kentucky, Duke, Kansas will have to rebuild and cant land usual one and dones. We'd be a step ahead.
It also (hopefully) speaks to Miller's long term intent here. Create a core that will pay off later.

I love the idea, even if OAD continues, of 10 long term players with 2-3 superstuds sprinkled in. That is a great roster composition.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

It also (hopefully) speaks to Miller's long term intent here. Create a core that will pay off later.

I love the idea, even if OAD continues, of 10 long term players with 2-3 superstuds sprinkled in. That is a great roster composition.
It became his long term intent when his recruiting class which contradicts this "long term intent" bailed on him because of the cheating scandal.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

It became his long term intent when his recruiting class which contradicts this "long term intent" bailed on him because of the cheating scandal.
You mean the one Kansas is involved in?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

ASUHATER! wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

No one on our coaching staff was caught cheating. According to the FBI, Kansas is a victim. Their words, not mine.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Arizona was one of the victims as well. I know you know Self and KU cheat as much or more than anyone.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: This 2019 class will likely be the last of the one and done. It would make sense to recruit a core that'll be more experienced in 2020 where Kentucky, Duke, Kansas will have to rebuild and cant land usual one and dones. We'd be a step ahead.

No one on our coaching staff was caught cheating. According to the FBI, Kansas is a victim. Their words, not mine.
Arizona was also a named victim. Nice way of avoiding that Jackson was clearly paid, De Souza was too and Billy Preston's eligibility still doesn't exist.

I'm sure Kansas is just the victim of Adidas paying players to attend Kansas. Mean old Adidas.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ in top 5 for 2019 PF Jeremiah Earl..............KU and UNC lead

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-t ... he-rest-f/" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ hosting Fresno State transfer:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... s-eligible" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Josh Green taking an unofficial here tomorrow.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Josh Green taking an unofficial here tomorrow.
Green and Mannion would be a nice start...
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Josh Green taking an unofficial here tomorrow.
Green and Mannion would be a nice start...

Green has received interest from several powerhouse schools, but he told 247Sports’ Evan Daniels recently that Arizona, Kansas, UCLA, and Virginia are prioritizing him the most.

Green has visited Arizona at least three times before. He took unofficial visits to the UA in October, June, and February of 2017, per 247Sports.

Green plays on the same club team, Earl Watson Elite, as UA target Nico Mannion.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... rs-commits" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Just relative to our future recruiting:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2380 ... y-shift-21" target="_blank

The NBA on Friday sent teams a memo indicating that "eligibility rules" for the draft may shift as early as 2021 (but no earlier) as the league reviews issues "related to player development and the corruption investigation in college basketball," according to a copy of the memo obtained by ESPN.

The "no earlier" part was of most interest to me.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If that's the case there's a lot of west coast one and dones we're in good position for in 2020.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:If that's the case there's a lot of west coast one and dones we're in good position for in 2020.
That's what interested me. I remember you talking Green in 2019.

A few developmental prospects blooming and some high level talents...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:If that's the case there's a lot of west coast one and dones we're in good position for in 2020.

Yeah Jalen Green and Julian Strawther are the two to look out for. Not saying we land them, but we're in a good spot. Green was adamant about going straight to the pros if he had the chance, but he wont complain about playing a year in college since it looks like he'll have to.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Ira Lee playing in the Drew League this summer here in SoCal. Good opportunity for him to get the ball in his hands against quality competition.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Ira Lee playing in the Drew League this summer here in SoCal. Good opportunity for him to get the ball in his hands against quality competition.
I like Ira. He plays hard and had bounce. He needs to learn how to play at this level and not get confused. If he can do that, he can be a really, really rich man's Keanu Pinder.

The more playing experience, especially against high level guys, he gets, the better he can be.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Ira Lee playing in the Drew League this summer here in SoCal. Good opportunity for him to get the ball in his hands against quality competition.
I like Ira. He plays hard and had bounce. He needs to learn how to play at this level and not get confused. If he can do that, he can be a really, really rich man's Keanu Pinder.

The more playing experience, especially against high level guys, he gets, the better he can be.
100%

Less confusion. In action: Looking for him to make a move or move the ball quickly. Has a tendency to hold the ball. He likes to make a couple of moves to get himself into position in the post... need him to balance that with more intelligent passing. Knowing when to do the one and when to do the other, and doing it reflexively, is the holy grail for him on offense.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

100%

Less confusion. In action: Looking for him to make a move or move the ball quickly. Has a tendency to hold the ball. He likes to make a couple of moves to get himself into position in the post... need him to balance that with more intelligent passing. Knowing when to do the one and when to do the other, and doing it reflexively, is the holy grail for him on offense.
More on D for me, frankly. He got lost and would get pinned when he shouldn't.

Offensively, he can hold the ball as long as he doesn't turn it over. That's my thing. It would be nice if he improved there, but D is where he can really give us a lot, IMO.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah Jalen Green and Julian Strawther are the two to look out for. Not saying we land them, but we're in a good spot. Green was adamant about going straight to the pros if he had the chance, but he wont complain about playing a year in college since it looks like he'll have to.
If Green has to spend a year in college, his talent blows me away.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

100%

More on D for me, frankly. He got lost and would get pinned when he shouldn't.

Offensively, he can hold the ball as long as he doesn't turn it over. That's my thing. It would be nice if he improved there, but D is where he can really give us a lot, IMO.
Yep. Ira can be an elite defender for us down the road once he figures things out.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Apparently, Ira damn near dropped a triple double in the Drew League this past weekend.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

I...ra, I....ra, I...ra! Showin' in the Drew!

Yeah, statement play.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The time is there is Ira is ready. We could really use a third solid big guy alongside Jeter and Luther.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I think that means we're officially in the '18-19 season y'all.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I think he should go by I-R-A

As in...check him, and he might retire you.

(It is bad. I know. Any other bad suggestions related to I, R, and A? Hopefully he recognizes the penalty of an early withdrawal? Shit...I am grasping here)
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

EVCat wrote:I think he should go by I-R-A

(It is bad. I know. Any other bad suggestions related to I, R, and A? Hopefully he recognizes the penalty of an early withdrawal? Shit...I am grasping here)

Check him, he might blow you up.

Sorry, I was thinking of the other IRA.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:I think he should go by I-R-A

You don't need to pay 401k for a player when you have Ira.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Would our IRA have to run the point in order to give Required Minimum Distributions?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Not until he's 70 1/2

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

If he hits the court with 70.5 on his uni instead of 11 then we're in the money.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Until the globalist bankers, federal reserve, and the bilederberg group decide it's time to engineer another global market crisis and we all lose all of money we've been putting into these gov't sanctioned retirement funds. Gov't sanctioned because we don't really own them and they are easily plundered.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.