2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PennZona20

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by PennZona20 »

rgdeuce wrote:What is he waiting on then?

I'm not convinced Duval steals Jackson's point guard job if he returns. Jackson is a damn good player and already has a year of outstanding ball under his belt. Then Allen comes back. Trent Jr is another guy who will get good minutes. Seems like Duval is waiting on something.

I do agree he's Duke bound, but also wonder if it's such a sure thing, why no announcement yet. He knows the backcourt situations of all his finalists.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:

I'm not convinced Duval steals Jackson's point guard job if he returns. Jackson is a damn good player and already has a year of outstanding ball under his belt. Then Allen comes back. Trent Jr is another guy who will get good minutes. Seems like Duval is waiting on something.
I do agree he's Duke bound, but also wonder if it's such a sure thing, why no announcement yet. He knows the backcourt situations of all his finalists.
I don't know why any uncommitted prospect would commit now. The pullout date for the draft is pretty close. Duval, Bowen, guys like that will have the offers there. There's no reason not to wait to see exactly what a roster looks like before pulling the trigger.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:

I don't know why any uncommitted prospect would commit now. The pullout date for the draft is pretty close. Duval, Bowen, guys like that will have the offers there. There's no reason not to wait to see exactly what a roster looks like before pulling the trigger.

Fair point.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Five-star big man Brandon McCoy picks UNLV

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... fd67d.html" target="_blank
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

HiCat wrote:Five-star big man Brandon McCoy picks UNLV

The lesson of Stephen Zimmerman did not resonate.

They have been nothing but edge of Top 25 (over or under) once in a while since 1991. But they keep selling these kids on the good ol' days...

The best place for us he could wind up not named U of A....
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:

They have been nothing but edge of Top 25 (over or under) once in a while since 1991. But they keep selling these kids on the good ol' days...

Eh, a school in Vegas with very good facilities for their level should always recruit well. If UNLV had a good coach, they can easily rise to almost Gonzaga's level. Kruger's tenure shows that.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Eh, a school in Vegas with very good facilities for their level should always recruit well. If UNLV had a good coach, they can easily rise to almost Gonzaga's level. Kruger's tenure shows that.
They could....I suppose.

But McCoy had offers from schools who didn't need to hope to get there. He bought the "savior" tip. Good luck...you are working against a town that doesn't care that is every day becoming a pro sports town...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Maybe he just bought the McCaw, Wood, Zimmerman story. Quick trips to league and who cares what the college team does. Only idiots like us dwell on that. :mrgreen:
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EVCat wrote:

waiting on PJC to declare?
:lol: Seemingly what Frank Jackson does. Definitely not waiting for something on our end. The only possible thing could be wanting to see Rawle come back to officially being a pretty loaded team, but I HIGHLY doubt that is the case.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

UNLV in recent times, to me, is the school that has nice facilities that is JUST good enough of a brand for someone who wants to go in and have free reign and be king for one season. I always assume that is why top recruits choose it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:

They could....I suppose.

But McCoy had offers from schools who didn't need to hope to get there. He bought the "savior" tip. Good luck...you are working against a town that doesn't care that is every day becoming a pro sports town...
I don't think McCoy's looking for more than a showcase. UNLV has so much need, McCoy will get all the minutes and looks he can handle. That would not be the case at Oregon or Arizona.

He made a decision for his pro future, not his college team success.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I know Arizona isn't Cal or UCLA, but UNLV is a Tier 4 school academically.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

It helps to have some help to look good.

He is going to get the Ivan Rabb 2016-17 treatment. If he is good enough to show out as a Freshman with all the attention of the opponent, good on him. But Oregon, with their big openings and decent, established returners, seemed a more no-brainer choice.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

JERRY MEYER (247Sports)

The pick: Kentucky

The reason: “There is potential playing time available for a player like Johnson at Kentucky and his connections to the program should be enough to lure him there.”

EVAN DANIELS (Scout.com)

The pick: Kentucky

The reason: “He doesn’t have any other visits scheduled, so the Cats seem like the logical choice.”

JEFF BORZELLO (ESPN)

The pick: Arizona

The reason: “Sean Miller has a longtime relationship with Johnson’s father, and with Kobi Simmons and potentially Rawle Alkins both leaving, there are shots available on the perimeter for Johnson.”
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Any chance CJ is waiting to see what Rawle does?

I find it hard to believe that these high level players pay too much attention to what other guys are doing, but who knows? If Trier had stayed in the draft, maybe Bowen would've committed to AZ already.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Any chance CJ is waiting to see what Rawle does?

I find it hard to believe that these high level players pay too much attention to what other guys are doing, but who knows? If Trier had stayed in the draft, maybe Bowen would've committed to AZ already.
I posted above, but to say it again, I don't see why anyone looking to commit to a school who has options wouldn't wait to see who stays and who goes before deciding. Bowen, Johnson, Duval, they can decide when they want to. Wait and see. It can't hurt.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

When does chase and rawle have until to decide?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I posted above, but to say it again, I don't see why anyone looking to commit to a school who has options wouldn't wait to see who stays and who goes before deciding. Bowen, Johnson, Duval, they can decide when they want to. Wait and see. It can't hurt.
Totally. It's more about playing time than about playing for a contender.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CalStateTempe wrote:When does chase and rawle have until to decide?
June 12
NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline (5:00 p.m. ET)

List here: http://www.nba.com/article/2017/04/25/n ... -nba-draft" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks
Is there an enrollment deadline new recruits need to adhere to?
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:When does chase and rawle have until to decide?
10 days after the NBA combine (may 24th)

But combine invites are sent this Friday.. Only 60-70 invites are sent, including a slew of Euros, seniors etc. The smart thing would be to go back to school if you don't get an invite, but with all these kids throw out logic.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Totally. It's more about playing time than about playing for a contender.
If Johnson doesn't come here, it's Kentucky. If Duval doesn't, it's Duke. If Bowen doesn't, it's Creighton. All three are deciding between contenders. Creighton is the only one potentially not a contender, and they're a pretty solid program.

No program is too big to say no to one of those guys if they want to wait. Not Duke, KY, and not us.

The recruiting timeline is just different, but that isn't necessarily bad. Is it really fair to stash a kid like Bowen on the bench because he had to commit early, then Rawle and Trier returned? All this means is rosters don't clear up until later.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

I haven't put much thought into this, until now. But assuming that if we don't get Duval, we only have one true PG on the roster, PJC. Unlike last year, where we had a combo guard, KA, running the point but still getting several minutes at SG. There is absolutely no chance that PJC gets any minutes outside of PG. So, one would assume that Trier is going to have to run the point for a minimum of 5 mpg.

So, Kadeem Allen isn't going to be stealing minutes from the wing positions.
As well, Trier (our best wing) is going to have to play stretches at the point.

There is going to be more minutes available at the wing positions this year for a guy like Bowen or Randolph. Especially, if Rawle doesn't come back, I think Bowen would be dumb not to come to Arizona, if playing time is his biggest concern.

Even if RA comes back, I think there would be 20 mpg for both Bowen and Randolph on any given night. If Trier is getting 25 mpg at SG, and 5-7 mpg at PG, and RA is getting 25 mpg, that still leaves 30 minutes up for grabs at the wing. And that isn't even taking into consideration of Arizona going small with Bowen or Randolph playing at the 4 for small stretches.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

McKale Midwest wrote:I haven't put much thought into this, until now. But assuming that if we don't get Duval, we only have one true PG on the roster, PJC. Unlike last year, where we had a combo guard, KA, running the point but still getting several minutes at SG. There is absolutely no chance that PJC gets any minutes outside of PG. So, one would assume that Trier is going to have to run the point for a minimum of 5 mpg.

There is going to be more minutes available at the wing positions this year for a guy like Bowen or Randolph. Especially, if Rawle doesn't come back, I think Bowen would be dumb not to come to Arizona, if playing time is his biggest concern.

Even if RA comes back, I think there would be 20 mpg for both Bowen and Randolph on any given night. If Trier is getting 25 mpg at SG, and 5-7 mpg at PG, and RA is getting 25 mpg, that still leaves 30 minutes up for grabs at the wing. And that isn't even taking into consideration of Arizona going small with Bowen or Randolph playing at the 4 for small stretches.
I'm not sure Barcello is ready, but I'd bet Miller would hope he can pull at least 10 mpg behind Parker.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
McKale Midwest wrote:I haven't put much thought into this, until now. But assuming that if we don't get Duval, we only have one true PG on the roster, PJC. Unlike last year, where we had a combo guard, KA, running the point but still getting several minutes at SG. There is absolutely no chance that PJC gets any minutes outside of PG. So, one would assume that Trier is going to have to run the point for a minimum of 5 mpg.

I'm not sure Barcello is ready, but I'd bet Miller would hope he can pull at least 10 mpg behind Parker.
I'm sure that is the hope, however I'm with you. If Kobi couldn't get minutes at the end of the year, I don't see how Barcello even has a chance. I don't think he is as good as Gabe York, Justin Simon and other 4-star recruits that we've had over the past 5 years who never touched the floor as freshman.

I would really like Cam Johnson, because he could play 2-4. I think he would get 30 minutes off the bench, even if RA comes back.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

McKale Midwest wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'm sure that is the hope, however I'm with you. If Kobi couldn't get minutes at the end of the year, I don't see how Barcello even has a chance. I don't think he is as good as Gabe York, Justin Simon and other 4-star recruits that we've had over the past 5 years who never touched the floor as freshman.

I would really like Cam Johnson, because he could play 2-4. I think he would get 30 minutes off the bench, even if RA comes back.
Alex Barcello is one of the more intriguing recruits in the Miller era.

Six foot, two inches, 89% from the foul line. 39% from the 3. Very good handle. Extremely confident and not a head case either. If anything, the opposite of PJC.

I'm guessing if AB had been in LA his whole career he'd he 40 slots higher right now.

I like PJC....much more than many. Especially some here.

That said, I want to see AB run this team, especially with Miller's coaching. Indeed, I worry Alex won't get enough time because of Miller's coaching....next year I'm talking about.

If PJC is confident next year, well fine then. If not, what's the difference? We have a 6'2" version of PJC to substitute....one that won't ever lose his confidence.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Hank of sb wrote: I'm guessing if AB had been in LA his whole career he'd he 40 slots higher right now.
I think you are on the money here. Alex was hovering in the 100 range because he maintained a relatively normal life...ball wasn't "life". It was very important, but he is a pretty well-rounded, family oriented kid. But the exposure with Corona and Bagley got him on the big AAU circuit radar, and he stepped out for a season and played with Oakland Soldiers....and tore it up. Suddenly, Duke and other bigs took interest. We had always been there, and Virginia and Stanford had really done the most work. But what sold Alex, more than anything, was that Sean had always told him he was capable...he just needed to go face the competition and show. And when he did, Sean only had to say "see? I told you. You are this good" to sell Alex that this was the place for him.

Arizona kind of came out of nowhere to get Alex. Most...shoot, his closest friends and family...thought Stanford. And if that situation had stayed static, it still probably would have been. But CSM set the conversation without saying "sign" by smartly saying "go show you can do this on a high level. You can. Prove it to yourself." And when he did, he remembered that Miller believed in him and encouraged him. And it was done shortly thereafter.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I dont follow recruiting that much, just seems weird to invest time into kids who may not come to your school. So my opinion may not have any weight at all but I have seen Alex Barcello play a few times and was very impressed. Of course the last U of A recruit I actually saw play in high school games as Channing.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Ya'll are getting me excited about AB. He's the least heralded member of this recruiting class, but he could end up making the greatest impact on our program if he's a four year player.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:Ya'll are getting me excited about AB. He's the least heralded member of this recruiting class, but he could end up making the greatest impact on our program if he's a four year player.
Again I know nothing and dont want to know much but I would say he is a solid 4 year backup and can start if needed. Good shot, decent passing, good handle and played good D in the games I saw him play and he was going against guys with D1 offers.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Barcello better be worth it, because apparently Marvin Bagley wasn't too happy when Arizona took him.

On the other hand, I'm happy Miller got a guy he wanted and didn't let other potential recruits -who might not even come to UA- dictate who he gets, like in the past with Williams-Goss, Dorsey etc.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Where did bagley end up going?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

NYCat wrote:Barcello better be worth it, because apparently Marvin Bagley wasn't too happy when Arizona took him.
This is the internet rumor/overhyped telephone "fact" of the decade in our recruiting. There isn't one ounce of issue between Marvin Jr and Alex.

The dads don't see eye to eye, but NO ONE sees eye to eye with the Lavar Ball the second, a/k/a Marvin Bagley Sr. Dad pretty much sets fire to everything he touches...

Alex didn't cost us Marvin. Miller not dealing with Sr's bullshit and Sr being, umm...open to help?...would be bigger factors.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

McKale Midwest wrote:I would really like Cam Johnson, because he could play 2-4. I think he would get 30 minutes off the bench, even if RA comes back.
Cam Johnson cannot play the four. I have doubts he can be an effective three without a lot of coaching. He's a string bean that shies from contact and floats on the perimeter.

* 5 putbacks lat year, Rawle had 21. Dude has 8 putbacks in his three years, 400+ FGAs at Pitt.
* Lower FTA/FGA ratio and lower def. rebounding % than any of our players besides PJC and Kobi last year.
* 2/3 of his shots were taken from 3pt and nearly all of those shots were assisted (97.4%) (http://hoop-math.com/Pittsburgh2017.php)

He's a tall shooting guard who has spent three years being a tall shooting guard.

He'd be a work in progress as a three - why give him minutes over Randolph and fuck up our recruiting and morale?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
McKale Midwest wrote:I would really like Cam Johnson, because he could play 2-4. I think he would get 30 minutes off the bench, even if RA comes back.
Cam Johnson cannot play the four. I have doubts he can be an effective three without a lot of coaching. He's a string bean that shies from contact and floats on the perimeter.

* 5 putbacks lat year, Rawle had 21. Dude has 8 putbacks in his three years, 400+ FGAs at Pitt.
* Lower FTA/FGA ratio and lower def. rebounding % than any of our players besides PJC and Kobi last year.
* 2/3 of his shots were taken from 3pt and nearly all of those shots were assisted (97.4%) (http://hoop-math.com/Pittsburgh2017.php)

He's a tall shooting guard who has spent three years being a tall shooting guard.

He'd be a work in progress as a three - why give him minutes over Randolph and fuck up our recruiting and morale?
I don't disagree with the assessment of Cam Johnson, especially since out of HS he was a point guard and he sprouted a good 6 inches or so, so playing a position for a taller guy wasn't in his wheelhouse and still isn't, but him playing over Randolph at the 3 would not fuck up our recruiting or morale. While I fully believe Randolph is more than capable of starting as a freshman he didn't sign up being under the impression he was going to be promised a starting spot from day 1. If Arizona pulls in Bowen or Rawle returns the same situation would exist. Randolph is at worst the 1st guard/wing off the bench and will get plenty of PT.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: I don't disagree with the assessment of Cam Johnson, especially since out of HS he was a point guard and he sprouted a good 6 inches or so, so playing a position for a taller guy wasn't in his wheelhouse and still isn't, but him playing over Randolph at the 3 would not fuck up our recruiting or morale. While I fully believe Randolph is more than capable of starting as a freshman he didn't sign up being under the impression he was going to be promised a starting spot from day 1. If Arizona pulls in Bowen or Rawle returns the same situation would exist. Randolph is at worst the 1st guard/wing off the bench and will get plenty of PT.
I'm still holding out hope that Rawle returns. I don't want to imagine a world where Cam Johnson is starting for Arizona, especially not for the next two years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:

I'm not sure he cannot. I would more say that we don't want him doing it for more than a few minutes a game. We can deal with him being a shooter and not playing inside on offense. Defensive rebounding concerns me far more. He rebounds like a 3 (like Tollefsen). Similar to Tollefsen, I could see him giving us a small look, but I want that to be a 4-5 minute tempo changer, MAX.

Hopefully Alkins and Comanche return and we are set.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Which college 3 men are we concerned about Cam Johnson defending exactly? I wouldn't want him defending a Dillon Brooks or Josh Jackson or Jayson Tatum, but who exactly in our conference or nationally are we concerned with in that regards? I get that Cam is not a Rawle type rebounder (although their numbers are very similar) and such and I'd much rather have Rawle or Bowen too, but I think there's a bit of overreaction in concerns with a guy like Cam playing the 3. He's 6'8 in college, where the hell else do we play him?

Take a look at Rawle and Cam's numbers, they're pretty similar.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

I don't think CJ should be the starting PF, but I do think Arizona would be able to rebound and defend most teams with a lineup of Trier, Alkins, Randolph, Johnson, and Ayton. Much like last year, where Arizona would go with a 4 guard look, and play just 1 big. I even thought we should have done it more often, with Kobi, Allen, Trier, Alkins and Lauri. That team would have been a nightmare to guard, much like Oregon was with Brooks at the 4 and Boucher at the 5. Alkins, Trier, and Allen were all very capable of rebounding against bigger teams.

That would be even more of the case this year, because I think not only is Ayton a better rebounder than Lauri was, Randolph and Johnson have a lot of size and Alkins and Trier can rebound the ball extremely well for guards.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

Has anybody read Borzello's article "How have NBA draft decisions swayed uncommitted 2017 prospects?" I don't have an ESPN Insider subscription, and was wondering it was worth a read.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Take a look at Rawle and Cam's numbers, they're pretty similar.
Rawle (6'5") - 10.6% TRB%
Cam (6'8") - 7.9% TRB%

Rawle - 7.1 ORB%
Cam - 2.5 OReb%

Rawle - 21 putbacks
Cam - 5 putbacks

Rawle - 3.7 FD/40
Cam - 2.7 FD/40

Rawle - 1.8% Block%
Cam - 1.0% Block%

Rawle - 32.7 FTR
Cam - 23.1 FTR

Rawle - 39% of shots taken at the rim
Cam - 20% of shots taken at the rim

Cam is two years older and two inches taller and he's worse across the board at interior play.

Who am I worried about Cam guarding as a three? Charles O'Bannon, Jr. at USC. Kris Wilkes at UCLA. Anybody that can attack the rim through a 185lb body.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

And agreed with Spiff.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Take a look at Rawle and Cam's numbers, they're pretty similar.
Rawle (6'5") - 10.6% TRB%
Cam (6'8") - 7.9% TRB%

Rawle - 7.1 ORB%
Cam - 2.5 OReb%

Rawle - 21 putbacks
Cam - 5 putbacks

Rawle - 3.7 FD/40
Cam - 2.7 FD/40

Rawle - 1.8% Block%
Cam - 1.0% Block%

Rawle - 32.7 FTR
Cam - 23.1 FTR

Cam is two years older and two inches taller and he's worse across the board at interior play.

Who am I worried about Cam guarding as a three? Charles O'Bannon, Jr. at USC. Kris Wilkes at UCLA. Anybody that can attack the rim through a 185lb body.
You had me until Charles O'Bannon Jr., you should really take a lap or 12 for that.

Outside of that though would Rawle or literally anybody else we could possibly get be able to defend a Wilkes type effectively? Yeah not really. We have zero defensive stoppers on our team next year, we're going to have to outscore opponents.

Look I unfortunately live in a world where Rawle intends to not return no matter what and Brian Bowen is leaning towards Creighton at the moment. I don't trust a wing rotation of solely Trier, Randolph, and D. Smith. We need another capable guy whether they start or not.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And I live in a world where I listen to choo. And his last post scares me....
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Rawle is not 6'5, I know he's listed at that but he's 6'4 at best (along with Trier).
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

But but but but everyone says Rawle isnt gone yet..................................
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:But but but but everyone says Rawle isnt gone yet..................................
It's a verifiable fact Rawle isn't gone yet.

Choo thinks he does not intend to return. Fair enough, but look to Kobi as an exaple of a guy who is actually gone. Kobi, that guy is gone.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:But but but but everyone says Rawle isnt gone yet..................................

Choo thinks he does not intend to return. Fair enough, but look to Kobi as an exaple of a guy who is actually gone. Kobi, that guy is gone.
I mean the door is open until he signs that agent paperwork, but there is only the slightest amount of light shining between that door and the other side of it and the only reason there's even that much light is he didn't even care to look back.

Maybe something changes his mind, but he knows his draft stock, this isn't a mystery and he knows what he's getting into.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Arguing over semantics and technicalities is kinda dumb isn't it? I mean you could've said the same with Lauri before the press conference. Or Lorenzo Romar wasn't coming to Arizona before they announced it, even though they're were obvious signs pointing that way.
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Everyone says nothing of the sort. Just fast forward to your culture complaint, if you can't wait. Oh, you already did.
Right where I want to be.