España

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: España

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm been reflecting much on this issues as well as my previous well documented criticisms of trier and am slowly coming to the conclusion that triers deficiencies and the things I complain about on the court (tweeting aside) are because we have a PG who talentwise, while D1, is not complimentary to the rest of the talent on the team. The means trier has to play out of position and do things that may not be in his nature. Ie in playing as a PG, but not demonstrating the skills I have come to expect in a PG, since he's essentially playing out of position.

If we had an elite level Pg, a distributor to trier, then that would free trier to be trier and many of my criticisms would probably go away. I think.

But what do I know, I'm just a 5'6" dude who never really played outside of pick up and just really loves his cats.

Is this enlightenment?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

SunnyAZ wrote:how do you get in the fb group? When I click the link it just says the link may have expired or isn't available because you aren't in the audience.
Try this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/233727896674244/" target="_blank

If not, just go to facebook and search for "Arizona Wildcats Basketball" and request to join. It should show almost 13K members in case there's a duplicate
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Game tomorrow at 10a

Photo from EMOY, made it to Barcelona

Morales:

After the Sunday win:

dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Jefe wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:how do you get in the fb group? When I click the link it just says the link may have expired or isn't available because you aren't in the audience.
Try this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/233727896674244/" target="_blank

If not, just go to facebook and search for "Arizona Wildcats Basketball" and request to join. It should show almost 13K members in case there's a duplicate
So I'm watching the stream from that facebook group and the first impression that struck me most was how different Dusan looks with the basketball in his hands. I know I joked with Gumby (but was serious when I said) Dus was unlikely to acquire Karnowski-like passing skills in an offseason, but he has made some really nice passes and is taking rebounds and confidently dribbling out, making it much easier to initiate a fast break.

You can see the IQ from Barcello, and I think Brandon Randolph has shown the same great feel in the few minutes I've seen him play. Defensive awareness, good passing, and a really good knowledge for how to get his shot off. Can't wait to see him in person tomorrow.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Video from touring Barcelona, including Romar teaching Zo how to Eurostep.

https://youtu.be/a0MmvY93vjo" target="_blank
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Barna!

Montjuic!

La Terrrazzza!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

FACK! They went to Sagrada Familia this morning (I live 5 minute walk from there). Could have done some major stalking and even would have figured out if I am taller than PJC (I'm 5'6" haha)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Should have a better opponent this game than the last.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ChooChooCat wrote:Should have a better opponent this game than the last.
But A MUCH shittier gym. I just got here and it's pretty bad haha
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Pics!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Shit dude I don't know how to put pics on here. But I shook coach's hand and can confirm PJC is BARELY taller than me
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Dude, you need to act like this is a game for the FF and go crazy. Those kids will tell your story for years LOL.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Parkers dad just walked in with a U of A chant haha. Guy is always turned on
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

By the way, there is absolutely no way in hell this team is as good as the València team. I shit you not, I would fit in with this team
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dcZONAfan wrote: I know I joked with Gumby (but was serious when I said) Dus was unlikely to acquire Karnowski-like passing skills in an offseason, but he has made some really nice passes and is taking rebounds and confidently dribbling out, making it much easier to initiate a fast break.
He is putting the ball on the floor after securing a defensive rebound? That's not a good thing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I wanna hear you scream "nice shot buddy" from over here in sac, D.C.!

Bear down.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dcZONAfan wrote:Parkers dad just walked in with a U of A chant haha. Guy is always turned on
If you have a pair of Jordans, wear them. He will talk to you forever.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

That same guy will be positing the live stream on facebook again. Scroll up for the link. I can post updates if work doesnt get busy
Doesnt look like it. This could be very ugly. Im not sure they have anyone over 6'7"

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Stream: https://www.facebook.com/michael.quiroz ... 497553132/" target="_blank

Join this group if you can't see the feed: https://www.facebook.com/groups/233727896674244" target="_blank
Last edited by Jefe on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Quick look at the line and its AZ -65
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Quick look at the line and its AZ -65
I love Arizona basketball, but if you're betting on this game, you have a gambling problem that you really need to address.

And I don't mean you. I mean anyone who laid money on that line is a degenerate gambler.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe wrote:Stream: https://www.facebook.com/michael.quiroz ... 497553132/" target="_blank

Join this group if you can't see the feed: https://www.facebook.com/groups/233727896674244" target="_blank
I tried to join after you posted yesterday & it's still pending. Tell them to get on it :D
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

6'7" might be a stretch

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

84Cat wrote:I tried to join after you posted yesterday & it's still pending. Tell them to get on it :D
PM me your name and Ill approve it
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Randolph starting over Rawle and Randolph with the first drive and layup
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Randolph starting over Rawle
Miller's shaving points because he bet the under on -65.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

84Cat wrote:
Jefe wrote:Stream: https://www.facebook.com/michael.quiroz ... 497553132/" target="_blank

I tried to join after you posted yesterday & it's still pending. Tell them to get on it :D
same
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ristic swished a fade away 3 in the corner

Randolph to Ayton alley oop and the hoop almost came down

7-4

Lee, Akot, Barcello and Pinder in with Trier now
Last edited by Jefe on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

NYCat wrote:You need a strong back court, that's what wins in tournament play. It's the reason why UConn could beat that massive Kentucky team. Guards win in March.

Trier half of the equation and he's obviously an elite talent, all rests on PJC. He has to step during the tournament, during the reg season, largely unimportant as Arizona has too much talent to be squandered.
Yes, guard play is vital, but a strong front court (eg: Kaminsky, Dekker and Hayes) can strongly mitigate that need. That is what I am hoping and banking on. Not much else we can do about it. We just need PJC to not kill us, IMO. Run the offense, limit turnovers, and give the best effort he can on defense. There will be points where he is getting murdered because of his size, so I am hoping some of the bigger guys (trier, possibly alkins, etc.) can continue to progress as "emergency point guards" so they can be adequately competent to fill in in those situations, be able to decently run an offense, handle ball pressure in the back court, etc. Not for a whole game obviously, but if its a 65-65 game in the sweet 16 with 4 minutes left and we cant get stops because PJC cannot handle their 6'4 point guard, it would be nice to, even for a couple of minutes, plug up that weakness.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PJC having a tough game so far.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Jefe wrote:Ristic swished a fade away 3 in the corner
53.3% career 3 point shooter.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Trier deep 2 then a steal and a coast to coast dunk. 11-9. Another steal another dunk for Trier. 13-9
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
NYCat wrote:You need a strong back court, that's what wins in tournament play. It's the reason why UConn could beat that massive Kentucky team. Guards win in March.

Trier half of the equation and he's obviously an elite talent, all rests on PJC. He has to step during the tournament, during the reg season, largely unimportant as Arizona has too much talent to be squandered.
Yes, guard play is vital, but a strong front court (eg: Kaminsky, Dekker and Hayes) can strongly mitigate that need. That is what I am hoping and banking on. Not much else we can do about it. We just need PJC to not kill us, IMO. Run the offense, limit turnovers, and give the best effort he can on defense. There will be points where he is getting murdered because of his size, so I am hoping some of the bigger guys (trier, possibly alkins, etc.) can continue to progress as "emergency point guards" so they can be adequately competent to fill in in those situations, be able to decently run an offense, handle ball pressure in the back court, etc. Not for a whole game obviously, but if its a 65-65 game in the sweet 16 with 4 minutes left and we cant get stops because PJC cannot handle their 6'4 point guard, it would be nice to, even for a couple of minutes, plug up that weakness.
Think sometimes PJC will be getting killed too much vs top talent. And we'd have to run Trier at the point, with Alkins, Akot (Randolph), Ayton, Ristic and run the offense through him like the Rockets fo with Harden - who's technically a PG now.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

PJC drove, lost the ball and somehow got called for an offensive foul. Barcello got a charge call but then drove and dished to Ayton for an easy bucket.

Smith 3, 21-15. These guys are better
Last edited by Jefe on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
threenumberones

Invite still pending bummer.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

These refs are quite atrocious.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

any thought of a game thread for those who are watching to keep the rest of us informed outside of blowing up this overall Spain trip thread?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Anyone who wants to see the FB stream PM me a link to your profile and Ill send you the invite
EVCat wrote:any thought of a game thread for those who are watching to keep the rest of us informed outside of blowing up this overall Spain trip thread?
I could just keep editing individual posts so they dont keep popping up. Just refresh the page to see updates if that works?

28-22. Rawle in street clothes

Barcello for three, 30-28
Last edited by Jefe on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Rawle's not playing today fyi. Pretty sure it's just precautionary though.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Strained shoulder for Rawle.
threenumberones

Jefe wrote:Anyone who wants to see the FB stream PM me a link to your profile and Ill send you the invite
EVCat wrote:any thought of a game thread for those who are watching to keep the rest of us informed outside of blowing up this overall Spain trip thread?
I could just keep editing individual posts so they dont keep popping up. Just refresh the page to see updates if that works?

28-22. Rawle in street clothes

Barcello for three, 30-28
Sent, thanks Jefe!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Maybe we took the Pac 12 refs for granted
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Pretty fucking cool that we have a game thread stream for an exhibition in a hs gym in Spain.

Thanks for the updates guys.

This is seriously concerning if PJC can't handle a Spanish PG.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We are really complaining about refs in a scrimmage?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote:We are really complaining about refs in a scrimmage?
Do what we do.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:Pretty fucking cool that we have a game thread stream for an exhibition in a hs gym in Spain.

Thanks for the updates guys.

This is seriously concerning if PJC can't handle a Spanish PG.
Barcello having a much better game, and that's not good.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Miller is all over them.

39-33. Apparently I judged them too soon.
Last edited by Jefe on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

NYCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Think sometimes PJC will be getting killed too much vs top talent. And we'd have to run Trier at the point, with Alkins, Akot (Randolph), Ayton, Ristic and run the offense through him like the Rockets fo with Harden - who's technically a PG now.
The biggest thing to me - we don't have a Kadeem Allen on this team (yet). Easier to hide PJC when you can move him over to guard the less effective guard (as long as both their guards are close size wise), guards off the bench, and the team's backup point when he is in. If we need to milk 28-30 minutes out of PJC, we need someone to step up defensively in a major way.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Yes
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Lmao refs just called a travel on a wide open BRan dunk.