Thoughts on who would be worth a try as new coach

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: Thoughts on who would be worth a try as new coach

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:49 pm I don’t got annoyed with your tweets Odogg

You say what you mean
I know Ari. The mute button was a godsend for my followers.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Someone mispronounced mystery. It was misery candidates.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

The crazy thing to me is we are a better BB program than TX and yet they hired a head coach with ff experience in 4 days. We've had 40 and yet here we are fumbling this shit up again. Can we hire a competent AD please?
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

84Cat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:38 am The crazy thing to me is we are a better BB program than TX and yet they hired a head coach with ff experience in 4 days. We've had 40 and yet here we are fumbling this shit up again. Can we hire a competent AD please?
Texas has a lot more money than we do my friend. We can't afford 5 a year. We weren't even paying miller 3. We just don't got the cash they do
I said what I said and I mean it.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:59 am
84Cat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:38 am The crazy thing to me is we are a better BB program than TX and yet they hired a head coach with ff experience in 4 days. We've had 40 and yet here we are fumbling this shit up again. Can we hire a competent AD please?
Texas has a lot more money than we do my friend. We can't afford 5 a year. We weren't even paying miller 3. We just don't got the cash they do
Not when you're paying a guy like Sumlin millions to go away for the worst three years in Arizona football history.
BeardownZonaZona

That's definitely part of the reason. Pac 12 not making a ton or revenue compared to other conferences doesn't help. And the az government just doesn't have a lot cash either. As someone who has lived in Texas before, it's very apparent the Texas government has a lot more money. And university of texas has a ton of big time donors. Unfortunately many factors are the reason we can't outbid some of these other schools
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think oil had something to do with that.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:26 pm Mystery candidate:

Total flashback. Gawd.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

It's too bad April fool's has past. I'd really like to see the Bobby Hurley, Steve Lavin, Christian Laetner, types of names mentioned.

Maybe we can get Mike Davis. He has experience in a similar shituation.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/bask ... -ago-today
ekat

Post by ekat »

Marvin Menzies is out of the running for UTEP. He seems like Robbins’ kind of guy.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Not Bryce not Scott, not Homer but Nancy Drew
She is the real mystery candidate
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I’m laughing so that I don’t cry. But Muss is getting an extension because he played Robbins like a fiddle. This administration is incompetent. Literally couldn’t make their way through a rat maze. I wouldn’t blame Lloyd one bit if he backs out after seeing these morons jerk each other off.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Is there is a little-known codicil in the Faber College constitution which gives "us" unlimited power to preserve order in time of campus emergency around our flagship sports program?

This is certainly an emergency...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:46 am I’m laughing so that I don’t cry. But Muss is getting an extension because he played Robbins like a fiddle. This administration is incompetent. Literally couldn’t make their way through a rat maze. I wouldn’t blame Lloyd one bit if he backs out after seeing these morons jerk each other off.
Muss was going to get an extension without Arizona's help. He may have got a better deal now but it was happening regardless.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:17 am
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:46 am I’m laughing so that I don’t cry. But Muss is getting an extension because he played Robbins like a fiddle. This administration is incompetent. Literally couldn’t make their way through a rat maze. I wouldn’t blame Lloyd one bit if he backs out after seeing these morons jerk each other off.
Muss was going to get an extension without Arizona's help. He may have got a better deal now but it was happening regardless.
Okay so he got a BIGGER extension. Either way...he was obviously playing Robbins. Robbins fell for it like a baby who’s dad says “I got your nose”. In the process of this, he may have soured this with Tommy to the point he may not accept an offer if/when we ask him to be the coach.

These clowns have to go.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Goodman can eat a sack of shit
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh, NOW he's an Arizona alum? After decades of shitting all over us he wants to claim us?

Go stick your dick in a blender Mush Mouth.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:10 am Goodman can eat a sack of shit
So who you got O'dogg?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I get the feeling on Goodman but do I read this right that you're not a fan of Pope?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Eh. It’s just about Goodman. But Pope doesn’t get me aroused.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Gilbert Arenas.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:13 am
So who you got O'dogg?
They should offer Lloyd ASAP.

Then they should offer Damon if that falls through.

If you don’t like either option fine, but you won’t like any of the other options either. They aren’t getting someone you want.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bobby Bobbins keeps refreshing this thread to see if we have any suggestions.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:20 am
84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:13 am
So who you got O'dogg?
They should offer Lloyd ASAP.

Then they should offer Damon if that falls through.

If you don’t like either option fine, but you won’t like any of the other options either. They aren’t getting someone you want.
Yep. The having a candidate pool of guys you love ship has long since sailed. I mean that was out the second anyone with a brain saw Robbins Few/ Beard/ Drew list. So here we are.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 am Eh. It’s just about Goodman. But Pope doesn’t get me aroused.
Pope's not exciting, but he's at least solid.

He's better than Damon, Miles or Braase, that's for sure. Lloyd is a mystery box, so who knows there.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:41 am
Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 am Eh. It’s just about Goodman. But Pope doesn’t get me aroused.
Pope's not exciting, but he's at least solid.

He's better than Damon, Miles or Braase, that's for sure. Lloyd is a mystery box, so who knows there.
I’m not as down on Damon as others are. I think that could be end up being good for a number of reasons as well. But I get ya.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pope strikes me as the guy who gives you a winning season every year. Challenges for the conference title every once in a while and gets a 5-9 seed every year.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

At some point they will just go with the alums. Damon is the best option when they do that. I don’t think it’s even a debate IMO.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Ask yourself a question: Who are the top two coaches each Arizona sport has had. How many of them were alums?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

"In the time when most kings went out to recruiting war, the court jester of Arizona Robbins stabbed the king in the back and threw his corpse over the wall, then stayed home and looked over the housetops longingly at Batshitcrazy and said 'Who is that maiden, bring her to me'"...

Robbins is fucking batshitcrazy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:49 am Pope strikes me as the guy who gives you a winning season every year. Challenges for the conference title every once in a while and gets a 5-9 seed every year.
This is how I see Pope vs Damon specifically. Both took over losing programs (I'm using Utah Valley here). I'd say Utah Valley and Pacific are comparable.

Damon had 3 sub .500 seasons, improved a lot in year 4, although not enough to get to a tourney, then returned to .500 in year 5.

Pope improved every single year at Utah Valley, ending with 23-11 and 25-10 seasons. His win% was .579 to Damon's .480. Then, Pope went on to two good seasons at BYU.

Pope's small school performance was better than Damon's, plus he has the BYU experience.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:52 am Ask yourself a question: Who are the top two coaches each Arizona sport has had. How many of them were alums?
Adia is alone on an island.

I get what you are saying, but when you are served a shit sandwich, focus on finding the kernels of corn.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 am
azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:49 am Pope strikes me as the guy who gives you a winning season every year. Challenges for the conference title every once in a while and gets a 5-9 seed every year.
This is how I see Pope vs Damon specifically. Both took over losing programs (I'm using Utah Valley here). I'd say Utah Valley and Pacific are comparable.

Damon had 3 sub .500 seasons, improved a lot in year 4, although not enough to get to a tourney, then returned to .500 in year 5.

Pope improved every single year at Utah Valley, ending with 23-11 and 25-10 seasons. His win% was .579 to Damon's .480. Then, Pope went on to two good seasons at BYU.

Pope's small school performance was better than Damon's, plus he has the BYU experience.
I don’t know much about Utah valley vs. pacific but I read that Damon took over a disaster.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 am
azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:52 am Ask yourself a question: Who are the top two coaches each Arizona sport has had. How many of them were alums?
Adia is alone on an island.

I get what you are saying, but when you are served a shit sandwich, focus on finding the kernels of corn.
For me the only time the alumni card comes into play is as a tie breaker.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:57 am

I don’t know much about Utah valley vs. pacific but I read that Damon took over a disaster.
Pacific was 8-20, UVU 11-19 in the respective years before Damon and Pope came in. Both programs had been over .500 and slid.

To be clear, this is based on basketball reference and I am not a UVU or Pacific insider, but they at least seem like they were somewhat comparable in the state of their programs.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 am

Pacific was 8-20, UVU 11-19 in the respective years before Damon and Pope came in. Both programs had been over .500 and slid.

To be clear, this is based on basketball reference and I am not a UVU or Pacific insider, but they at least seem like they were somewhat comparable in the state of their programs.
I wanna say pacific had some ncaa issues before but I’m lazy and not gonna do research.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Looks like Pope was their 2nd ever coach. Before him was Dick Hunsaker who went 205-153, 46-26 with one CIT and one NIT. Pope went 44-15, 23-6 with three CIBs.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:01 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 am
B

I wanna say pacific had some ncaa issues before but I’m lazy and not gonna do research.
They were on probation, with scholarship limits and recruiting limits. Their former head coach got an 8 year show cause (Miller’s not looking at a show cause). That actually is a plus in Damon’s favor to me, in that he’s already figured out how to navigate NCAA sanctions at a place like Pacific.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... 170920.pdf
BeardownZonaZona

Is it Wes Miller time? I'd be down with that
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

12 realistic guys I would take before Damon with minimal research:
Darian Devries
Wes Miller
Mark Pope
Shantay Legans
Bob Richey
Dennis Gates
Jay Pastenack
Lorenzo Romar
Kelvin Sampson
John Belien
Bryce Drew
Tommy Lloyd
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I know Pacific is Pacific, and Gonzaga is Gonzaga, but the closest a Damon coached team ever got to the Zags was 10 points. The rest were blowouts. Cats need someone who can beat UCLA and Oregon and not be their bitch like Miller was.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Wilner & Wolken now piling on about incompetence. Good times
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 am Wilner & Wolken now piling on about incompetence. Good times
First step in avoiding that is not to make it true. We've failed that first step.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 am Wilner & Wolken now piling on about incompetence. Good times
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:44 am
This one too now
Last edited by 84Cat on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

So is when he says 1:51 pm, is that Eastern, Central, Mountain or Pacific time?

Just wondering...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Pretty sure it’s est.
The other day I saw a post from the future
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:47 am
This one too now
Can't sanction a coach if you have no coach.