Let's talk '23

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gronk4heisman

Re: Let's talk '23

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:58 am
gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:56 pm Is Boswell considered a one and done talent?
I suppose anything is possible, but no, he’s not seen as a one and done.
Hopefully he doesn't have the Nico I am going to leave no matter what to my own detriment mentality.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The comment about NIL worries me a bit.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:24 pm No, I don't think Koloko can become a lottery pick after next season as a heading-into-the-league 23 year old with a ceiling as a back-up center / low-end starter. For his sake, he should go after this season as a late first rounder who can play 25min/g for many seasons based on his defense and finishing at the rim. He's not going to get younger, he's not going to all of a sudden develop Jaren Jackson Jr. offensive skills. He's grown to be elite in the areas that he's good at - that's about as much as we can expect. And re: Cockburn, Koloko very much did contain him.

Zu... it's tough. Sam Vecenie has him ranked fourth most draft-worthy among Arizona players in his recent comments, behind Terry. And it's no surprise why - physically he's in a difficult spot to project as being successful in the league with not enough length or leaping ability to be a rim protector at C, and while he's not at all slow he likely lacks the foot speed to keep up with forwards in the NBA. He's done a ton so far this season to improve his draft stock by being a more active defender and passer while backing up his rep as a productive and efficient scorer - if he keeps up everything he's showing, I could see a late first pick for him in this draft.
The only problem ia Koloko isn't a first rounder after this year. He could be if he added strength and scored double digits against legit competition. One more year to make the first round and he needs to get a bit stronger and rebounding should also be a focus if he is going to be a first rounder. Doesn't need to be a good shooter but has to convert with that hook from close range.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:10 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:24 pm No, I don't think Koloko can become a lottery pick after next season as a heading-into-the-league 23 year old with a ceiling as a back-up center / low-end starter. For his sake, he should go after this season as a late first rounder who can play 25min/g for many seasons based on his defense and finishing at the rim. He's not going to get younger, he's not going to all of a sudden develop Jaren Jackson Jr. offensive skills. He's grown to be elite in the areas that he's good at - that's about as much as we can expect. And re: Cockburn, Koloko very much did contain him.

Zu... it's tough. Sam Vecenie has him ranked fourth most draft-worthy among Arizona players in his recent comments, behind Terry. And it's no surprise why - physically he's in a difficult spot to project as being successful in the league with not enough length or leaping ability to be a rim protector at C, and while he's not at all slow he likely lacks the foot speed to keep up with forwards in the NBA. He's done a ton so far this season to improve his draft stock by being a more active defender and passer while backing up his rep as a productive and efficient scorer - if he keeps up everything he's showing, I could see a late first pick for him in this draft.
The only problem ia Koloko isn't a first rounder after this year. He could be if he added strength and scored double digits against legit competition. One more year to make the first round and he needs to get a bit stronger and rebounding should also be a focus if he is going to be a first rounder. Doesn't need to be a good shooter but has to convert with that hook from close range.
I don't see the post thing at all. Very few NBA teams want to run post ups today. The ability to be a post option is far down the list and I can't ever imagine a team drafting Koloko thinking they want to run plays for him to post.

I compared him to a poor man's Gobert, the Jazz run zero postups for Gobert. Returning to college to develop an aspect the NBA doesn't care about does not make a ton of sense for me.

In terms of physical development, the NBA will do that. There are food and weights in the league.

First rounder or not, Koloko's draft stock depends on his rim protection. That's what he's getting drafted to do, period. He's been fantastic in that area this year. 14.5 block % is pretty nuts, and he's gonna ride that where he rides it. The NBA will give him a chance to show he can step up rebounding. Neither his frame or postups will change his stock one bit, IMO.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:32 am

I don't see the post thing at all. Very few NBA teams want to run post ups today. The ability to be a post option is far down the list and I can't ever imagine a team drafting Koloko thinking they want to run plays for him to post.

I compared him to a poor man's Gobert, the Jazz run zero postups for Gobert. Returning to college to develop an aspect the NBA doesn't care about does not make a ton of sense for me.

In terms of physical development, the NBA will do that. There are food and weights in the league.

First rounder or not, Koloko's draft stock depends on his rim protection. That's what he's getting drafted to do, period. He's been fantastic in that area this year. 14.5 block % is pretty nuts, and he's gonna ride that where he rides it. The NBA will give him a chance to show he can step up rebounding. Neither his frame or postups will change his stock one bit, IMO.
If I were a betting man at this very moment I'd bet on him being back next year stronger and with an improved jumper.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:32 am

I agree with running post plays in the NBA is not as important as it was previously. It is rim protection and REBOUNDING and strength to hold your position. He has one of those three. If he wants to go forward with a second round contract he should go. But if he wants the security and commitment of a first rounder he should stay. Still lots of season to go and he may end up a first rounder but right now I don't think he is.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:34 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:32 am I don't see the post thing at all. Very few NBA teams want to run post ups today. The ability to be a post option is far down the list and I can't ever imagine a team drafting Koloko thinking they want to run plays for him to post.

If I were a betting man at this very moment I'd bet on him being back next year stronger and with an improved jumper.
I'm obviously no insider and don't know his intent. I'm just not seeing either help his draft stock. I mean, Koloko may disagree or it just may not be all draft stock for him, of course.

If the NBA hates anything as much as postups, it's midrange J's.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:50 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:32 am I don't see the post thing at all. Very few NBA teams want to run post ups today. The ability to be a post option is far down the list and I can't ever imagine a team drafting Koloko thinking they want to run plays for him to post.

I agree with running post plays in the NBA is not as important as it was previously. It is rim protection and REBOUNDING and strength to hold your position. He has one of those three. If he wants to go forward with a second round contract he should go. But if he wants the security and commitment of a first rounder he should stay. Still lots of season to go and he may end up a first rounder but right now I don't think he is.
Here's my context, for what it's worth. I looked a while back and in each NBA draft class, it's basically 20-25 guys who play in more than one NBA season.

Functionally, it means that from picks 15-40, NBA teams are drafting guys who are 50/50 to stick for more than a year. That's where I look when I'm fitting Koloko.

So I don't really disagree with your assessment of his game, but I don't think it matters in terms of his stock. He isn't particularly young for his draft class in that he'll be 22 this draft class, 23 if he stays another year.

I'd have him between 20 and 40 right now. I don't see that changing, and in that range, there really isn't a first round guarantee. If you find a team that likes your upside, you go in the 20's. But he's not picking up Evan Mobley's offensive game to make top 15.

If you look at the last 2 years of the NBA draft, only 3 players picked below #20 have averaged double figures in points, rebounds or assists, Maxey, Quickley and Bane. It's an area where there are a lot of projects and very few sure things.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:52 am

I'm obviously no insider and don't know his intent. I'm just not seeing either help his draft stock. I mean, Koloko may disagree or it just may not be all draft stock for him, of course.

I didn't say midrange.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:29 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:52 am

I didn't say midrange.
I know you didn't, but I'm not really of the mind a guy who's never been a reliable midrange shooter bypasses that entirely to become a threat from NBA range by next year. Perhaps I'm too negative. Anything is possible, but that would not be the sort of reasonable improvement I'd hope for from Koloko.

Being able to face from 15 and make a jumper would be an upgrade from what we've seen so far, IMO.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Koloko's little jump hook has not been as effective lately I've noticed. That was a big improvement for him - having a shot besides a dunk in his arsenal - early on in the season which he needs to get back in form.

Rim protection and rebounding will always be his strengths.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

So if we look at who is may go pro we have:
Benn - highly likely
Tubelis - very likely
Koloko - likely
Terry - maybe?
Kerr - Doubtful.

Let's say we lose Benn, Tubelis and Koloko, which in my mind is a fair guess. If Koloko stays great, but I think he goes. I think Terry and Kerr stay....but no inside knowledge.

If this happens are we totally screwed next year? Or does the fact that Arizona is back in the National picture help us a lot with probable recruits and transfers to fill out the starting 5?

Do Adama Bal and Nowell get more minutes and help us? Wouldn't solve the problem of no bigs though.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Only way Zu is going pro is if he goes back home.

He needs to come back to work on being able to shoot from the 3 if he wants to be a stretch 4.

Koloko needs to bulk up too and come back to work on his face to the basket game. I know it was 8 on 5 at Tennessee, but that game really exposed Koloko.

Note I don't haven't watched the NBA since Luke was a rotation player for the Lakers, but just from what I have read here.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:22 pm Only way Zu is going pro is if he goes back home.

He needs to come back to work on being able to shoot from the 3 if he wants to be a stretch 4.

Koloko needs to bulk up too and come back to work on his face to the basket game. I know it was 8 on 5 at Tennessee, but that game really exposed Koloko.

Note I don't haven't watched the NBA since Luke was a rotation player for the Lakers, but just from what I have read here.
This.

Anyone other than Mathurin who leaves after this year will be pulling a "Chase Comanche"
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:33 pm
Merkin wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:22 pm Only way Zu is going pro is if he goes back home.

This.

Anyone other than Mathurin who leaves after this year will be pulling a "Chase Comanche"
Which is why I expect half the roster to leave.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:33 pm

This.

Disagree. Draftroom has Koloko as the #35 pick and Tubelis as #54. That's how I see them, both about there with potential to go higher.

Comanche's draft profile was 404 Error, File Not Found.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Good insight thank you.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:04 pm So if we look at who is may go pro we have:
Benn - highly likely
Tubelis - very likely
Koloko - likely
Terry - maybe?
Kerr - Doubtful.

Let's say we lose Benn, Tubelis and Koloko, which in my mind is a fair guess. If Koloko stays great, but I think he goes. I think Terry and Kerr stay....but no inside knowledge.

If this happens are we totally screwed next year? Or does the fact that Arizona is back in the National picture help us a lot with probable recruits and transfers to fill out the starting 5?

Do Adama Bal and Nowell get more minutes and help us? Wouldn't solve the problem of no bigs though.
Only one that is going to for sure go pro is Mathurin. The rest I'd get used to the idea of them all returning barring an absolute blow up in the NCAA tournament. You guys are absolutley traumatized from the Sean Miller era.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Yeah Choo......Sean Miller era and not unrealistic dreams of players. Makes sense.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Well duh....
Dave

Post by Dave »

Best news I heard all day.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:43 pmYou guys are absolutley traumatized from the Sean Miller era.
Why do you think I drink as I do?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:43 pm
billk78 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:04 pm So if we look at who is may go pro we have:
Benn - highly likely
Tubelis - very likely
Koloko - likely
Terry - maybe?
Kerr - Doubtful.

Only one that is going to for sure go pro is Mathurin. The rest I'd get used to the idea of them all returning barring an absolute blow up in the NCAA tournament. You guys are absolutley traumatized from the Sean Miller era.
If Terry, Kriisa, Koloko and Tubelis are all back, we'll obviously be quite good next year. Ballo should be even better too. Really need some recruiting wins or some key transfers.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

If that’s the case, all I want for Christmas (much earlier obviously) is a good wing transfer to replace Benn. And the others should improve enough to make up for him leaving. Hopefully Adama Bal and Shane Nowell are ready too.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:16 pm
Benn - highly likely
Tubelis - very likely
Koloko - likely
Terry - maybe?
Kerr - Doubtful.

If Terry, Kriisa, Koloko and Tubelis are all back, we'll obviously be quite good next year. Ballo should be even better too. Really need some recruiting wins or some key transfers.
I question if we will have room for any additions. I expect the NCAA/IARP Snail team to eventually whack us......and I expect that we will lose 2 scholarships for several years. If thats the case and only Mathurin leaves along with Kier (and we already have 1 addition for 2022), where does the extra scholarship come from??? Romar time?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:30 pm I question if we will have room for any additions. I expect the NCAA/IARP Snail team to eventually whack us......and I expect that we will lose 2 scholarships for several years. If thats the case and only Mathurin leaves along with Kier (and we already have 1 addition for 2022), where does the extra scholarship come from??? Romar time?
The lesser Tubelis I imagine if the Cats do lose 2, but hopefully that won't happen looking at how other programs were punished.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:30 pm
Benn - highly likely
Tubelis - very likely
Koloko - likely
Terry - maybe?
Kerr - Doubtful.

I question if we will have room for any additions. I expect the NCAA/IARP Snail team to eventually whack us......and I expect that we will lose 2 scholarships for several years. If thats the case and only Mathurin leaves along with Kier (and we already have 1 addition for 2022), where does the extra scholarship come from??? Romar time?
This is very accurate. If there is an extra scholarship it may come through Aiken (no inside info, I have no idea what his situation is or will be).

At the moment though:

Kriisa
Terry
Koloko
Ballo
Tubelis 1
Tubelis 2
Bal
Nowell
Larsson
Aiken (Maybe)
Dylan Anderson

I’d expect Arizona to be two scholarships short for a bit and Arizona is going to be a program that will prioritize development and they’re expecting a big jump from Bal next year and god willing a healthy fully effective Pelle. So if there’s an opening the only way I see it is Aiken’s situation never improving or Nowell deciding to not be patient or Koloko blowing up in the NCAA tournament.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

If we were to lose two a scholarships, we can not be wasting one on the lesser Tubelis. There is not room for that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:29 pm If that’s the case, all I want for Christmas (much earlier obviously) is a good wing transfer to replace Benn. And the others should improve enough to make up for him leaving. Hopefully Adama Bal and Shane Nowell are ready too.
If we do retain everyone but Mathurin, I'd be more concerned with PG than wing in terms of patching holes. We lose Mathurin and have Pelle, Nowell and Bal with Terry as a returning leader.

We lose Kier, who's basically our only other viable PG. That leaves Kerr and nobody. I'd prefer a combo guard who could give us minutes at both guard spots.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:29 pm If we were to lose two a scholarships, we can not be wasting one on the lesser Tubelis. There is not room for that.
If you want to keep the better Tubelis, and you do, yes there is room for that.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:19 pm
dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:30 pm
Benn - highly likely
Tubelis - very likely
Koloko - likely
Terry - maybe?
Kerr - Doubtful.

This is very accurate. If there is an extra scholarship it may come through Aiken (no inside info, I have no idea what his situation is or will be).

At the moment though:

Kriisa
Terry
Koloko
Ballo
Tubelis 1
Tubelis 2
Bal
Nowell
Larsson
Aiken (Maybe)
Dylan Anderson

I’d expect Arizona to be two scholarships short for a bit and Arizona is going to be a program that will prioritize development and they’re expecting a big jump from Bal next year and god willing a healthy fully effective Pelle. So if there’s an opening the only way I see it is Aiken’s situation never improving or Nowell deciding to not be patient or Koloko blowing up in the NCAA tournament.
That team looks fantastic. I go back and forth on the biggest hole in that roster next year being a dynamic, create-his-own-shot combo guard ala Tyrese Proctor, or a versatile 3/4 in the Aiken mold (if we do end up losing him next year). If we lose Aiken and pick up a Proctor type guard, that puts some pressure on Dylan Anderson to potentially be ready for real minutes come injury/foul crisis.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is Lloyd a witch?
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:06 pm Is Lloyd a witch?
Is Arizona right where it wants to be?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:06 pm Is Lloyd a witch?
He can gsame coach, but until he starts actually landing some of these high profile targets, no, he isn't a witch. Getting on a recruit's top 10, top 5, or top 2 doesn't mean crap if you don't land him,
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The style of play is a big plus. Attractive to players. We will see where we end the year up at and if it is sweet 16 or better we will get some interest and hopefully some recruits. Just hope we start getting some games in and some visibility.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Article on Mookie Cook

https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/12/29/fiv ... hall-east/

Kentucky: “They just said you’re a versatile player, you can play multiple positions. They really want me. They like that I can post up, pretty much make an impact on the game without offense, just a presence of being on the court.”
Cook took his first official visit to Kentucky in October.
“It was dope, man,” he said. “It’s a real family place. You can understand the brotherhood behind it, why they have so many NBA players, and just the legacy.”
Gonzaga: “They like how I can play fast, that’s their game style, up and down trying to get some buckets. They think I can come in and be a versatile player.”
Arizona: “Tommy Lloyd came from Gonzaga so pretty much the same message. He loves how I play. I have a pretty good connection with him, he’s a good guy.”
Oregon: “Oregon, that’s my hometown, it would be dope to play there. Dana Altman, Phil Knight, that’s just greatness behind it.”
Last edited by dmjcat on Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Another piece on Boswell:

https://www.zagsblog.com/2022/01/11/cla ... 8-schools/

Boswell recently broke down several schools for ZAGSBLOG:
Arizona: “Right now, Arizona [plays a] quick-tempo offense. New coach from Gonzaga [Tommy Lloyd]. I love their coaching staff over there. I’m at AZ Compass right now, so I’m used to the area.”
Illinois: “I’m from Champaign, Illinois. Coach [Brad] Underwood and coach [Geoff] Alexander, I really like their coaching staff, too. They throw the pitch of NIL deals, so big-time stuff right there.”
Michigan: “Coach Juwan Howard, that’s my guy, I talk to him all the time. I really like how when we talk, we don’t really talk about basketball like that. We talk about life and how my parents are doing and stuff like that, so I really like coach Howard.”
Oregon: “Oregon, me and Mookie [Cook], they like that pitch right there. We’ve been playing together for a little while and they like Mookie’s game. And they try to model their scoring off the point guard.”
UNLV: “UNLV, same thing. I really like coach [Kevin] Kruger, coach [Brandon] Chappell been talking to me. I really love their coaching staff.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

The guy's home town is Oregon, but he is from Champaign and plays HS in Arizona? I can not keep up.

Coincidently, I was born in Champaign and lived in Eugene for a few years and went to college in Arizona. So maybe this guy is just me if I had athletic skills.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's going to be interesting to see how Lloyd manages roster turnover. He did recruit OADs at Gonzaga, but not too many. Feel like we've been saying for a while that you do need OADs to compete with the elite programs, but that 3 and 4 year players are kind of the lifeblood of a program.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:25 am The guy's home town is Oregon, but he is from Champaign and plays HS in Arizona? I can not keep up.

Coincidently, I was born in Champaign and lived in Eugene for a few years and went to college in Arizona. So maybe this guy is just me if I had athletic skills.
Mookie Cook is the guy from Oregon, Boswell is from Champaign. The two posts referenced two different players.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:23 pm It's going to be interesting to see how Lloyd manages roster turnover. He did recruit OADs at Gonzaga, but not too many. Feel like we've been saying for a while that you do need OADs to compete with the elite programs, but that 3 and 4 year players are kind of the lifeblood of a program.
Have to factor in the transfer portal as well, which Gonzaga used to incredible success - picking up guys like Andrew Nembhard, Rasir Bolton, Admon Gilder, Ryan Woolridge, Brandon Clarke, Johnathan Williams, Nigel Williams-Goss, Jordan Mathews, Kyle Wiltjer... just about all of those guys were taken before the removal of the redshirt transfer rule and just about all of them came from high-major programs.

One sure fire OAD, some 3-4 year players, and some high level transfers... that's what I hope to see and think we should expect out of Lloyd's roster construction.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Big fan of this kid. Great two way player.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:31 pm Big fan of this kid. Great two way player.
Also spent his younger years in Tucson. This is as much of a layup as you will see. If Lloyd really wants him he should get him.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:48 am
YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:31 pm Big fan of this kid. Great two way player.
Also spent his younger years in Tucson. This is as much of a layup as you will see. If Lloyd really wants him he should get him.
Lock him up, coach
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:48 am
yes please!!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wonder if there's any way Lewis reclassifies to '22. Seems like this sort of thing has been happening more often.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:46 pm Wonder if there's any way Lewis reclassifies to '22. Seems like this sort of thing has been happening more often.
Only guy I’m aware of where it’s a possibility is Proctor.