South Region Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Re: South Region Discussion

Post by 97cats »

the winner of the play-in game (tip - 6:40pm EST 2/16) travels to San Diego after the game wednesday night dealing with a three hour time change and rebounding on Friday to play the number one seed.

100% rest Kriisa friday - in my opinion from here on out, its a day by day and one game at a time decision with him.

there is no need for him in the opening round, make that commitment now and rest+rehab and reaccess on saturday.

rinse and repeat each following day
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

The 8/9 seeds having a battle with each other (likely a close game) and then having to play us on a day rest where our size, pace and athleticism will wear them down.

Could keep Kerr out too possibly, and we also have the advantage of playing in San Diego
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:24 am The 8/9 seeds having a battle with each other (likely a close game) and then having to play us on a day rest where our size, pace and athleticism will wear them down.

Could keep Kerr out too possibly, and we also have the advantage of playing in San Diego
According to Captain Obvious, we should be underdogs in that match-up against the 8/9 seed (IF we beat the 16) so Kriisa is going to have to play. Or maybe he thinks we have no shot and Kriisa should skip the game and rehab for next year. I’m not sure…
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

of all the teams in AZ's region TCU is the one that scares me the most - if AZ can get past that second game i do not see them losing again.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:06 am the winner of the play-in game (tip - 6:40pm EST 2/16) travels to San Diego after the game wednesday night dealing with a three hour time change and rebounding on Friday to play the number one seed.

100% rest Kriisa friday - in my opinion from here on out, its a day by day and one game at a time decision with him.

there is no need for him in the opening round, make that commitment now and rest+rehab and reaccess on saturday.

rinse and repeat each following day
100% rest him Friday and see where he is after that. If he would play an integral role vs a 16, things have gone badly off the rails for the rest of the team.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

threenumberones wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:38 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:02 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:58 am
97cats wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:46 am
the committee is telling the entire field we want Arizona vs Gonzaga/Duke in the National Championship
This would be one of the least likely, most epic championship games of all time.

A first-year coach vs. his boss of 20 years?

Can't think of anything close to this ever happening.
Maybe since no team ever beating 3 #1's in route to a Natty?
Wait, what?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:40 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:55 am
Chicat wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:01 am He means this season (2021/2022).
Also, Oregon State's run is going to be retroactively vacated after their performance this year.
Oregon State’s school charter should be revoked due to that travesty.
Relegate their basketball program to the WCC and promote Gonzaga to the Pac-12.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:10 am
Also, Oregon State's run is going to be retroactively vacated after their performance this year.
Relegate their basketball program to the WCC and promote Gonzaga to the Pac-12.
Now THAT's a realignment move I can get behind!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Odds of Gonzaga doing that are almost 0. They make plenty of money now as is and they are still signing top recruiting classes and are a 1-2 seed every year. Why change?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:06 am the winner of the play-in game (tip - 6:40pm EST 2/16) travels to San Diego after the game wednesday night dealing with a three hour time change and rebounding on Friday to play the number one seed.
That's a shame.

I'll take every advantage we can get.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The only reason they were able to win the PAC-12 with 3 wins instead of 4 is because the UofA President got involved.
(self-sanctioning UofA out of both tourneys and moving the Beavs up into the top 8)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:16 am Odds of Gonzaga doing that are almost 0. They make plenty of money now as is and they are still signing top recruiting classes and are a 1-2 seed every year. Why change?
Nobody said it was a plausible scenario Hater, it was a joke making fun of Oregon State ya buffoon.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Santa Clara beat TCU by 19 wtf, only beat Pepperdine by 7, only beat oral Roberts by 8
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

TCU is playing much better now.

I'm with "97. The second round game is my biggest concern as I just don't think Kriisa will be ready and that 8/9 winner will be coming off a high. We should win but I expect it to be a challenge.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:41 am of all the teams in AZ's region TCU is the one that scares me the most - if AZ can get past that second game i do not see them losing again.
I agree 100%. Jamie Dixon is a coach that won over 30 games as a first year coach. This team beat Kansas by 10. I have seen them come back from double digits MULTIPLE times. No quit in that dog. My problem is I don't know anything about Seton Hall and a lot of experts have picked them to win.
Last edited by TheCat on Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

they just play that one style that seems to give some speed bumps for AZ - they are like Colorado only better players and a better coach
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:10 pm they just play that one style that seems to give some speed bumps for AZ - they are like Colorado only better players and a better coach
Do they have any Rhinos?

:lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:10 pm they just play that one style that seems to give some speed bumps for AZ - they are like Colorado only better players and a better coach
I mean...lobs inside to CK, DT in transition, AT from the high post, and BM from all over the place...if we play our game, we win. Maybe not easily, but we win.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If you're not in an anus-clincher in the round of 32, then you're not Arizona during a contender run.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Dixon was an assistant under Ben Howland twice (NAU & Pitt) and plays the same style of ball. Slow, Physical ugly basketball. I would rather not see TCU. I have only watched one of their games this year (Kansas). Kansas couldn't get anything going.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:30 pm If you're not in an anus-clincher in the round of 32, then you're not Arizona during a contender run.
The last time we didn’t have a stressful in the round of 32 was 2014. Aaron Gordon was dunking all over Gonzaga and Rondae was getting shoutouts from kevin Durant or lebron (can’t remember) on his free throw shimmy. 23 point win I think.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Dave wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:32 pm Dixon was an assistant under Ben Howland twice (NAU & Pitt) and plays the same style of ball. Slow, Physical ugly basketball. I would rather not see TCU. I have only watched one of their games this year (Kansas). Kansas couldn't get anything going.
Kansas was in the middle of a 4 games in 8 days stretch as the TCU game was a make-up game.

They played them two games in a row during that stretch.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

WildcatStunner wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:36 pm
Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:30 pm If you're not in an anus-clincher in the round of 32, then you're not Arizona during a contender run.
The last time we didn’t have a stressful in the round of 32 was 2014. Aaron Gordon was dunking all over Gonzaga and Rondae was getting shoutouts from kevin Durant or lebron (can’t remember) on his free throw shimmy. 23 point win I think.
Yep. I'll worry for our title chances if we don't scrape by the skin of our perineum.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Texas Christians always make me nervous
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:50 pm Texas Christians always make me nervous
Which we take the court, which team will the Supreme Court root for?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:47 pm Yep. I'll worry for our title chances if we don't scrape by the skin of our perineum.
Taint called the Kegel Cats for no reason.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:13 pm
Do they have any Rhinos?

:lol:
actually they do - Eddie Lampkin is from Houston and he is not to be messed with.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We beat OSU by 15 in 2015. It was close for a while, but it wasn't that bad.

Plus, other than 16-17, every Round of 32 since 14-15 has been pretty relaxing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:17 pm
I mean...lobs inside to CK, DT in transition, AT from the high post, and BM from all over the place...if we play our game, we win. Maybe not easily, but we win.
Ew.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona too much for Gonzaga in NCAA tournament game

SAN DIEGO — In the grand Gonzaga vision, Arizona would have gotten such an argument from the Zags in their NCAA tournament round-of-32 game here Sunday night that perhaps they’d feel a little fear about a face-losing defeat as a No. 1 seed.

Fear? The Zags mostly saw only fast breaks, buzzing past them. Arizona was clinical in bringing Gonzaga’s season to an end, 84-61, at Viejas Arena.

Chief among Gonzaga’s warts on this night was a grievous inability to take care of the ball. The Zags committed the game’s first 11 turnovers, treating the ball like it was dipped in olive oil, while Arizona came 15 seconds short of playing an entire first half without a turnover.

“Dumb plays,” said Gonzaga guard Gary Bell Jr., and he’d repeat the adjective.

Thus was revisited a familiar Gonzaga trend, that of excelling in its first game of the tournament — it was in the round of 32 for the sixth year in a row — but crashing and burning in the second. As good as Gonzaga was in laying waste Friday to Oklahoma State, the Zags were that bad in a fumble-thumbed 40 minutes against Arizona.

Tempting as it might be to plunge into analysis for that shortcoming, give the Wildcats props for dismantling the Zag attack at the perimeter, and for a telling edge in athleticism at the forward position. This looked less like a failure of scouting than it did of basic inferiority against a team that might win the national championship.

“The Arizona team we saw tonight was as good a team as I can remember that we’ve faced,” said Zags coach Mark Few. “So well-coached, playing like a team, extremely physical, extremely athletic.”

His team was a co-conspirator. Count the ways: Gonzaga committed its 20th turnover of the game with fully 6:38 left, on the way to a season-high 21. Arizona got four guys to double figures before Gonzaga got one. Bell, who had played sensationally in recent games, went scoreless. David Stockton (six turnovers) and Sam Dower Jr. (seven points, four turnovers), fifth-year seniors, had games to forget.

Arizona’s 15 steals were a season high. But only by five.

Most of those accounted for Arizona’s crazy edge, 31-2, in points off turnovers.

Nothing, not even an assist from the scoreboard operators, could help the Zags. In the last minutes, the score was listed as 81-64 instead of 84-61. Whatever, it was dominating.

Good as Arizona was, Few copped willingly to the Zags’ shortcomings.

“We allowed them in a lot of ways to play so great — just a ridiculous amount of turnovers,” he said. “One of the reasons we had 29 wins is, we took great care of the basketball this year.

“When they get out and dunk the ball like that, then offense becomes pretty easy for them — which is one area they’ve struggled a little this year.”

Gonzaga was already down 13-6 when Kevin Pangos went down in a heap with a left ankle sprain, the same one that dogged him late in the season. He returned to hit four threes and gain Few’s praise as “the toughest kid I’ve coached. He’s unbelievable.”

When it wasn’t turnovers, the Zags were eaten alive by freshmen forwards Aaron Gordon and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (18 points each). The only possible match comes from things like the McDonald’s All-American team, both of them graduates.

Gordon dunked three times, the Wildcats back-cut for baskets, and the Zags leaked points every way imaginable.

“They had a nice play for our gap defense,” said Few. “They were cutting guys behind us, which we have not seen before this year. Of course, you’ve got to have a special kind of athlete to do that.”

Bell, scoreless for the first time this season, was flummoxed, saying, “I just had an off-game. I don’t know what to say. I couldn’t make a shot today.”

Perspective came hard for Gonzaga’s seniors, even having gone 29-7 and losing last year’s two pros, Kelly Olynyk and Elias Harris.

On an interview podium, Dower, asked about his last game at Gonzaga, conceded it wasn’t his best, and then broke down. In the locker room, Stockton fought through tears next to a Zag assistant consoling him.

It happens, inevitably, with March Madness. This night, it might have happened to a team that will sidestep the sorrow.

Bud Withers: 206-464-8281 or bwithers@seattletimes.com

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/pa ... ment-game/
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Seton Hall (#35):
AdjO: #75 - AdjD: #26 - Adj Tempo: #162

TCU (#38):
AdjO: #80 - AdjD: #24 - Adj Tempo: #244

Going to be a barn burner, virtually the same numbers.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

From FB. I don't see a way to post it https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaAthleti ... 2867169501

The Arizona Men's Basketball Postseason Digital Guide is here!
Get all caught up on the Cats as they enter NCAA play on Friday!

https://indd.adobe.com/view/701cf8d1-0e ... _ckhlPtwNE#
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

ASUHATER! wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:16 am Odds of Gonzaga doing that are almost 0. They make plenty of money now as is and they are still signing top recruiting classes and are a 1-2 seed every year. Why change?
ding ding ding

What is because Alums get bored watching WCC conference games Alex.

Been told its never gonna happen because Gonzaga does not have a research facility. requirement in Pac 12
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ZagCatFan wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:16 pm
ding ding ding

What is because Alums get bored watching WCC conference games Alex.

Been told its never gonna happen because Gonzaga does not have a research facility. requirement in Pac 12
its cause i care for you that i share with you this wasnt a serious comment.

Go Zags!!
prh

Post by prh »

I think Kerr should sit Sunday too, but at the same time, I'm more concerned about Sunday than the following Thursday and Saturday. Get past the 8/9 and I absolutely don't see anyone else beating us
97cats

Post by 97cats »

prh wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:29 pm I think Kerr should sit Sunday too, but at the same time, I'm more concerned about Sunday than the following Thursday and Saturday. Get past the 8/9 and I absolutely don't see anyone else beating us
i said this exact same thing early in different form - i am more concerned about TCU and the round of 32 than any other match-up, even the final.

get thru the round of 32 and AZ will make its first Final Four appearance since 2001
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

I went to Cats Zags regional in San Diego in 2014. Cat fans filled 2/3 stadium. Pangos played on sprained ankle and Cats won big.

Gonna be McKale West this weekend.

GO CATS!
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:32 pm
prh wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:29 pm I think Kerr should sit Sunday too, but at the same time, I'm more concerned about Sunday than the following Thursday and Saturday. Get past the 8/9 and I absolutely don't see anyone else beating us
i said this exact same thing early in different form - i am more concerned about TCU and the round of 32 than any other match-up, even the final.

get thru the round of 32 and AZ will make its first Final Four appearance since 2001
One thing that a lot of people overlook is the shock factor in the tournament. Gonzaga had no reference point for Baylor's defense and they got rolled in the NCAA final. TCU/Seton Hall has a similar situation with our size and versatility. You can't practice it, and that will be huge in our matchup with either team. Also, the fact that we are not dependent on any one player to carry us in a game.

I mean, would anyone be shocked if Pelle Larsson dropped 23 and 8 in a second round game? Exactly.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET"S GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:38 pm Seton Hall (#35):
AdjO: #75 - AdjD: #26 - Adj Tempo: #162

TCU (#38):
AdjO: #80 - AdjD: #24 - Adj Tempo: #244

Going to be a barn burner, virtually the same numbers.
It has ugly slugfest written all over it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm interested in your guys's view on this. But I just don't understand it. I get the match up question with the particular strengths TCU especially brings, but 8/9 seeds are usually dangerous. I see Illinois as more dangerous than TCU if they make it to the next weekend, and I say that from a different trauma standpoint than the usual one. In Champaign, we prevailed on their court, and Ballo wasn't yet in the rotation, but they gave us all we could handle. I think it's a challenging match up if it happens.

And it reminds me of '03 when we went into Lawrence and throttled Kansas, and then met them on a neutral court.

From there, it will only get harder.

In my view, we're ready to go home at every point starting this coming Sunday.

All that said, I don't think anyone is going to beat Arizona over the next six games because Arizona is really, really, really fucking good. And you can't underestimate the value of a rotation comprised entirely of badass motherfuckers. That's a combination I've literally never seen at Arizona. We've obviously had some badasses, but never a full rotation of badasses. And it's better to be a badass than to have tourney experience, if you had to choose.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

More concerned than a UCLA team?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:10 pm

I'm interested in your guys's view on this. But I just don't understand it. I get the match up question with the particular strengths TCU especially brings, but 8/9 seeds are usually dangerous. I see Illinois as more dangerous than TCU if they make it to the next weekend, and I say that from a different trauma standpoint than the usual one. In Champaign, we prevailed on their court, and Ballo wasn't yet in the rotation, but they gave us all we could handle. I think it's a challenging match up if it happens.

And it reminds me of '03 when we went into Lawrence and throttled Kansas, and then met them on a neutral court.

From there, it will only get harder.

In my view, we're ready to go home at every point starting this coming Sunday.

All that said, I don't think anyone is going to beat Arizona over the next six games because Arizona is really, really, really fucking good. And you can't underestimate the value of a rotation comprised entirely of badass motherfuckers. That's a combination I've literally never seen at Arizona. We've obviously had some badasses, but never a full rotation of badasses. And it's better to be a badass than to have tourney experience, if you had to choose.
Tenn, Hou and Nova are objectively better than TCU, as is Illinois. No disrespect to TCU, but they're the type of team that's an intro to higher levels for a reason.

The tourney is fickle, though. Bottom line, you can put out best estimates and rank until the cows come home and nowhere does it matter less than the NCAA tournament. We're very well situated, and that's all you can be before the madness begins.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Seems like the smart thing to do. It would be nice to have him close to 100% next week.
prh

Post by prh »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:13 pm
More concerned than a UCLA team?
Definitely less than UCLA. For me, it's really just about Kerr. I know we just closed P12 tourney without him, but I think there's a bit of Ewing Theory involved there, high emotion and adrenaline there. Now there's tape on how we play without him, and foul trouble always looms (although we've seen that vs UCLA).

I feel like we should easily handle Sunday without Kerr. But it's a weird situation and I feel really good about us playing either Illinois or Tennessee. Houston and Nova and everyone else too, but Illinois and Tennessee seem to be the 2 biggest concerns most have.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Houston will take out Illinois and I really think Colorado St beats Tennessee
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

prh wrote: Definitely less than UCLA. For me, it's really just about Kerr. I know we just closed P12 tourney without him, but I think there's a bit of Ewing Theory involved there, high emotion and adrenaline there. Now there's tape on how we play without him, and foul trouble always looms (although we've seen that vs UCLA).

I feel like we should easily handle Sunday without Kerr. But it's a weird situation and I feel really good about us playing either Illinois or Tennessee. Houston and Nova and everyone else too, but Illinois and Tennessee seem to be the 2 biggest concerns most have.
Because of foul trouble, we essentially played without Kier for the majority of the 2nd half also. Against UCLA who also likes to slow it down, and much more talented.

I think having to face us off a 1 day rest is tough with our pace of play, size and athleticism. You wear down eventually, not to mention though to game plan against.

That's why having 3-4 days in between concern me the most. That would be the S16 games and potentially also F4.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I think my skepticism for us going deep into the tournament is the fact we have a first year head coach. And I'll admit that's not necessarily rational or fair to assume based on the amazing job CTL has done. I just have a hard time visualizing a first year coach getting to a FF or NC game but ruling out the possibility is silly. Plus our not being to a FF in over 20 years makes doing so seem so impossible when in reality you never know. I'm just thankful for CTL and the players for the amazing job they've done. I never expected us to be such a special team this year..
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I like our chances with everyone in our bracket but Tennessee has the best shot at beating us IMO. I don't think Villanova has enough size but they'll be tough to handle as well.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:41 pm I think my skepticism for us going deep into the tournament is the fact we have a first year head coach. And I'll admit that's not necessarily rational or fair to assume based on the amazing job CTL has done. I just have a hard time visualizing a first year coach getting to a FF or NC game but ruling out the possibility is silly. Plus our not being to a FF in over 20 years makes doing so seem so impossible when in reality you never know. I'm just thankful for CTL and the players for the amazing job they've done. I never expected us to be such a special team this year..
I hate to say the obvious to your namesake but you do realize CTL has as much “experience” in the Tourney as almost any other coach? It’s not like he doesn’t know how to prepare for the first weekend, second weekend and Ff.

He’s leading this team, not some historical aura.