let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: let's talk '19

Post by dmjcat »

Looks like Miller may not be done for 2019

https://247sports.com/Article/Elite-int ... 127090892/" target="_blank

Oumar Ballo, one of the best international prospects planning to play college basketball, has narrowed his college list to three.

Ballo, a 6-foot-10 center out of Mali, is down to Arizona, Baylor and Gonzaga, he told 247Sports.

The next step for Ballo, who says he's reclassified from 2020 to 2019, is to take an official visit. Ballo is expected to visit Gonzaga in the near future, but they are currently trying to finalize a date.

"I might take a Gonzaga visit [in] early January," Ballo said.

Ballo doesn't have scheduled dates with any other schools. Ballo, who is finishing his high school career at the NBA Academy Latin America, said his plan is to make a college choice before April.

Playing for Mali's u17 team, Ballo averaged 20.6 points and 16.9 rebounds through seven games at the World Cup in early July. Ball shot 55-percent from the field on 105 field goal attempts.

Once Ballo makes his college choice, he'll be elevated to a five-star prospect. 247Sports doesn't include international prospects in our rankings until they make the final decision that they'll be playing college basketball.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He's going to Gonzaga.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:He's going to Gonzaga.
Wow... Few is taking them to the next level huh? This class of theirs is a game changer for them.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Is that a sure thing? I know 247 likes Gonzaga but it seems that even the Zags fan base don't feel that they have a lock on his recruitment. Everyone thought Nnaji was most certainly a KU lean, then he turns around and makes our class one of the best ever.

If we are able to get him on campus, I like our chances. He would give us some serious meat in the frontcourt.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

You didn't think we were getting Nnaji, right?

Miller's pulled some surprises over the years.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m not sure we are really recruiting him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:I’m not sure we are really recruiting him.
I'm not sure we were really recruiting him for this class.

Also for you Nnaji guys, he visited Arizona, twice, and we were always running #2 for him until ironically the FBI stuff painted Kansas in a worse light than us. This Ballo guy has a Gonzaga visit in the works and nothing with AZ or Baylor. The writing is on the wall.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

I wouldn’t count Arizona out until Arizona is out.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

So y’all only listen to Choo when he tells u what u want to hear huh?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Skies the limit for Doutrive if he allows Miller to develop him. His touch around the hoop is amazing for a freshman. Bring back the finger roll!
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Im hoping someone in the know can clarify the chances of Chase Jeter staying. I know a few weeks ago people were hinting at him possibly leaving because he was graduating and might play overseas. But they interviewed him on the Pac12 Network postgame last night and he said he just started up his grad program and it sounded like he was happy with it. WIth the way he is playing I'm hoping we get another year out of him. Plus--i know it's a long shot--but if he continues to develop his post play for another year maybe he gets a shot at the D league?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Think he will be a front office guy for a pro team eventually, smart kid, and tall, I bet his parents are proud.

He's as tall as bill Walton, did you know that?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Think he will be a front office guy for a pro team eventually, smart kid, and tall, I bet his parents are proud.

His parents should be prow-d!
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Think he will be a front office guy for a pro team eventually, smart kid, and tall, I bet his parents are proud.

He is very well spoken and I think is the missing piece for our team next year. A veteran 5th year senior could be perfect for us. Seems like he would be a great leader and not much would phase him

Is it a foregone conclusion he is gone after this year?
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Nothing has been decided regarding his status for next year. My guess is Miller sells him on further improving and raising his stock on a Final Four contender and he returns, plus school is very important to him, so some extra grad school work wouldn't hurt the cause in the slightest. I doubt another year helps his NBA hopes as he's just not a modern 5. Either way don't expect clarification until a few weeks after the season is over is my guess.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Nothing has been decided regarding his status for next year. My guess is Miller sells him on further improving and raising his stock on a Final Four contender and he returns, plus school is very important to him, so some extra grad school work wouldn't hurt the cause in the slightest. I doubt another year helps his NBA hopes as he's just not a modern 5. Either way don't expect clarification until a few weeks after the season is over is my guess.
I'd be surprised if it was settled before the year is up. He won't get drafted this year, so an evaluation of whether to go is about overseas stock, which he won't know until the offseason. As I've posted elsewhere, a solid senior year can help his first overseas contract.

Weirdly, I think he has a better shot at an NBA career than he does getting drafted. Teams still have traditional bigs, like Javale for the Warriors last year or the JaVale/Tyson/Zubac Lakers combo or Capela for Houston. None of those guys can shoot, they make their money off rim protection. Jeter could be a bench/rotation guy if he can protect the rim well enough. Those giys just don't have draft stock.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Would think this means that Randolph is not expected back next year? Also am thinking Gainey knows this guy and thinks he'd be a worthwhile 3rd PG to play 10-15 mins per game next year?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Would think this means that Randolph is not expected back next year? Also am thinking Gainey knows this guy and thinks he'd be a worthwhile 3rd PG to play 10-15 mins per game next year?
Jesus i didn't even think of the Gainey connection, good call sling.

My guess is we will have a real young lineup next year, especially on the perimeter, he can provide experience and a very good 3 point shot to the mix.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I am ready for next years roster and Randolph shooting it 1/4 as many time as he currently is
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote:I am ready for next years roster and Randolph shooting it 1/4 as many time as he currently is
This team is playing hard. They deserve our support.

Randolph probably will shoot it 0/4 as many times next year. He sort of has to bc we don't have much scoring this year. Coleman and Luther were 2-9 combined, for a 4-20 total with BR.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:I am ready for next years roster and Randolph shooting it 1/4 as many time as he currently is
This team is playing hard. They deserve our support.

Randolph probably will shoot it 0/4 as many times next year. He sort of has to bc we don't have much scoring this year. Coleman and Luther were 2-9 combined, for a 4-20 total with BR.
I will continue supporting the team. Randolph is so frustrating. As for Luther and Coleman, they will be gone next year so I don't have to worry about their shot taking anymore. :D
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I think you should get your Randolph fix in this year, cuz I don't think he's gonna be around next year.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Where does Randolph think he is going? He won’t even get much time in the developmental league. He was a highly ranked player out of high school and has shown flashes of quality play, but he is definitely a kid who needs more time to develop in the program. Leaving prematurely would be a mistake.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:Where does Randolph think he is going? He won’t even get much time in the developmental league. He was a highly ranked player out of high school and has shown flashes of quality play, but he is definitely a kid who needs more time to develop in the program. Leaving prematurely would be a mistake.
The same place that Chance Comanche ended up at.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ChooChooCat wrote:
midnightx wrote:Where does Randolph think he is going? He won’t even get much time in the developmental league. He was a highly ranked player out of high school and has shown flashes of quality play, but he is definitely a kid who needs more time to develop in the program. Leaving prematurely would be a mistake.
It's to bad that kid hated school. He could be playing in the league right now if he would have developed more
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

whatisee wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
It's to bad that kid hated school. He could be playing in the league right now if he would have developed more
He definitely didn't like school, but he hated the thought of backing up Ayton and Dusan more than he hated school.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Catintheheat wrote:
New Josh Green highlights.

https://youtu.be/8sWC-0hWjeY" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Green and IMG are live vs Oak Hill right now.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Green and IMG are live vs Oak Hill right now.
He is really, really good. Don’t see any way he or Mannion bust next year, which is why I’m so confident that we are going to be awesome next year. Those two plus Williams and Jeter is a top 10 core no question.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
He is really, really good. Don’t see any way he or Mannion bust next year, which is why I’m so confident that we are going to be awesome next year. Those two plus Williams and Jeter is a top 10 core no question.
I never thought I'd say this, but at this point, if we had a wing returner, I sort of want Smith back as a 6th man. He is our strongest defender, especially without Akot, and if he irons out the 3, he could be an experienced bench asset.

Green and Nico are as good as advertised. I'm less sure what to expect from Nnaji or Armstrong.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
I never thought I'd say this, but at this point, if we had a wing returner, I sort of want Smith back as a 6th man. He is our strongest defender, especially without Akot, and if he irons out the 3, he could be an experienced bench asset.

Green and Nico are as good as advertised. I'm less sure what to expect from Nnaji or Armstrong.
I can't believe it either, but I think I agree with you too re: Smith. Means Randolph likely needs to leave IMO.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

I can't believe it either, but I think I agree with you too re: Smith. Means Randolph likely needs to leave IMO.
I'm not sure Randolph evolves the D or efficiency that would benefit us next year. Now, I shake my head at Smith's inability to finish at the rim, but if he could keep his current .373 from 3 and literally just go 3 and D, we need that more than Randolph's volume scoring.

It's too bad bc Randolph has a ton of defensive potential and could be a huge asset with better shot selection.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

Nnaji has played himself into McDonald's All American status this year, he's very much improved. Armstrong's issue next year will be the same as Doutrive's issue this year, but Armstrong has a more college ready body, so we'll see. I think Dylan Smith's status will impact Armstrong the most next year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

I'd get real used to the thought of Brandon Randolph not being on next year's team guys.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

Nnaji has played himself into McDonald's All American status this year, he's very much improved. Armstrong's issue next year will be the same as Doutrive's issue this year, but Armstrong has a more college ready body, so we'll see. I think Dylan Smith's status will impact Armstrong the most next year.
Yeah, but Cheick Diallo was McD's MVP and averaged 3 and 2 at Kansas. Jordan Brown barely plays at Nevada. Don't get me wrong, I love Nnaji's game, but I don't see the guarantee it translates like I do with Nico and Green.

That degree of uncertainty about Armstrong is why I'm coming around to Smith. Smith has his limits, but he gets it in team D and you know what he brings. I'm not sure if Armstrong will be ready or if Doutrive or Barcello makes the jump to major bench contributor. Having Smith is a guy who you know will give you D and solid play for 20-25 a night, which I can't say about anyone else on the wing.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I'd get real used to the thought of Brandon Randolph not being on next year's team guys.
I have no doubt that you are probably correct here... but who the hell is telling him that he looks ready to become a pro?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

Yeah, but Cheick Diallo was McD's MVP and averaged 3 and 2 at Kansas. Jordan Brown barely plays at Nevada. Don't get me wrong, I love Nnaji's game, but I don't see the guarantee it translates like I do with Nico and Green.

That degree of uncertainty about Armstrong is why I'm coming around to Smith. Smith has his limits, but he gets it in team D and you know what he brings. I'm not sure if Armstrong will be ready or if Doutrive or Barcello makes the jump to major bench contributor. Having Smith is a guy who you know will give you D and solid play for 20-25 a night, which I can't say about anyone else on the wing.
Oh I totally get it, I'm not going to tell you that Nnaji is as much of a sure thing next year than Nico or Green, but I can guarantee you he'll get infinitely more PT next year than Diallo (weird situation) or Brown (historically dumb recruiting decision on so many levels) got their first years. I do believe he'll contribute positively though.

With Smith ultimately Miller likes him. He plays defense and he plays hard. If he can get him to come back to be that role player off the bench he absolutely will, but that ball is in Dylan's court. Hopefully if he comes back Miller orders him to be a catch and shoot option on offense only. I think he gets more leeway this year due to shortage of options, but that won't be the issue next year. Doutrive will be at an advantage over Armstrong due to experience in the system at least and hopefully he puts on more mass. Armstrong's situation is certainly up in the air next year, but boy is he important in 2020-2021.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Welcome aboard the Smith wagon.

As ive been saying for a while now, Smith would be much more efficient if he simply was limited to catch and shoot situations, and not taking more than one, maybe two dribbles. Obviously, I doubt Miller limits him that much, but I wish he would.

That said, all ive been asking for the past few years was one freaking guy who can defend on the perimeter. Smith has absolutely been that guy, and I want him playing that role off the bench next year.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

As ive been saying for a while now, Smith would be much more efficient if he simply was limited to catch and shoot situations, and not taking more than one, maybe two dribbles. Obviously, I doubt Miller limits him that much, but I wish he would.

That said, all ive been asking for the past few years was one freaking guy who can defend on the perimeter. Smith has absolutely been that guy, and I want him playing that role off the bench next year.
On Smith, he might be the single worst finisher inside 10 feet I've seen in an Arizona uniform. I literally think he has no chance to convert unless he's wide open or gets fouled. His handle is shaky.

That said, he needs to do more because we have little firepower this year. Next year, he can take catch and shoot 3's or 15 footers off one dribble and he'll be fine on offense.

I wasn't sold on him on D, but we were such a team D mess last year, I've come around. He isn't a Rondae level stopper, but he's a solid piece who will give you good, not great D and works his ass off on the glass. For a 6th man, that's a positive skill set.

As Choo notes, Miller obviously trusts him, and that matters. It's not a PJC level trust, where you don't get it. When he makes 3's, I get why Miller likes him. In the early year, when he couldn't throw it in the ocean, I had a harder time seeing it.

Anyone have access to his conversion stats at the rim? I know I think they're bad, but that is just my belief from watching.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Next year having Green defend the best wing and Smith the second best wing when in the game together should be a very solid foundation. Nico is also a very solid defender too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Next year having Green defend the best wing and Smith the second best wing when in the game together should be a very solid foundation. Nico is also a very solid defender too.
I think Brandon Williams will become a plus defender shortly if he isn't already. You can see the tools, which is a nice change from PJC.

We could/should be pretty legit on D. Returners like Jeter and Ira Lee, who I feel like has had the lightbulb come on recently, plus some talented freshmen is a promising combo.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I have no doubt that you are probably correct here... but who the hell is telling him that he looks ready to become a pro?
It's honestly a carbon copy of the Chance Comanche situation. Guy doesn't want to lose playing time nor does he want to wait. That along with the fact he and his mother really believe in his ability and to his credit he will test very well athletically, so he thinks he has a good chance.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
On Smith, he might be the single worst finisher inside 10 feet I've seen in an Arizona uniform. I literally think he has no chance to convert unless he's wide open or gets fouled. His handle is shaky.

That said, he needs to do more because we have little firepower this year. Next year, he can take catch and shoot 3's or 15 footers off one dribble and he'll be fine on offense.

I wasn't sold on him on D, but we were such a team D mess last year, I've come around. He isn't a Rondae level stopper, but he's a solid piece who will give you good, not great D and works his ass off on the glass. For a 6th man, that's a positive skill set.

As Choo notes, Miller obviously trusts him, and that matters. It's not a PJC level trust, where you don't get it. When he makes 3's, I get why Miller likes him. In the early year, when he couldn't throw it in the ocean, I had a harder time seeing it.

Anyone have access to his conversion stats at the rim? I know I think they're bad, but that is just my belief from watching.
Smith is absolutely horrific at times when attacking, his handle are... bad, and he is a poor passer, both in vision and passing ability. That said, he can defend, defends inside Miller's defensive concepts, and as you mentioned, is willing to hit the glass. Ill take that, especially after how porus our perimeter defense has been in recent memory.

Regarding his finishing at the rim, he is 8/16 on the year, which is not good, and was 8/18 last season.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Sign me up for that.

-Shane Battier
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

TucsonClip wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Sign me up for that.

If Green and Armstrong are as good as advertised, I'm not sure Smith sees the floor next season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Sign me up for that.
If Green and Armstrong are as good as advertised, I'm not sure Smith sees the floor next season.
Smith would. He's a senior with 4 years in Miller's system.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

You're probably right. I'm hoping he's not good enough because the new guys are just way better.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

You're probably right. I'm hoping he's not good enough because the new guys are just way better.
I want the kids to achieve potential, but with 5 newbies, I doubt all 5 are ready. Usually there are bumps in the road.