The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:The point is, coaches have flaws. We just don't see Altman's with the same clarity as Miller's as Arizona fans.
You're right, Spiff. I only said that one could make the argument that Altman is presently the best coach in the Pac. Would I rather have him over Miller? Fuck no.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

People seriously ignoring the fact that Altman had senior players STEALING shit at the biggest NIKE supported school in the world?

Thats culture, Altman create it.

Shady coaches create shady players...thats why Grayson Allen is Dukes poster boy...

Shady players at UofA get shown the door...you can be stupid and young here, but you can't be shady...go to Oregon or Colorado or UCLA for that shit, hell drive up to Tempe just don't think Miller is gonna let you play.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Look, Altman is a good coach, but he's missed the tourney three times with Oregon.

We don't follow them as closely, so no one trips about that. Also, if you thought the FBI/ESPN stuff was bad, I'd take that every day of the week over the rape scandal Altman sidestepped. I'm still a bit shocked Altman survived that.

The point is, coaches have flaws. We just don't see Altman's with the same clarity as Miller's as Arizona fans.
I once saw Altman eat mayo with a spoon right from the jar.

Try looking past that flaw.....
Jim boeheim picks his nose on TV and wets himself and then there's another unfortunate incident.

And he only plays a zone, unless he's in Italy.

People love him. He is a great coach.
My wife still says, hey it's the nose picker, when hes on TV. Doesn't recognize coach k or bill self or Roy williams. She knows old Jim the picker.

We are spoiled.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Look, Altman is a good coach, but he's missed the tourney three times with Oregon.

We don't follow them as closely, so no one trips about that. Also, if you thought the FBI/ESPN stuff was bad, I'd take that every day of the week over the rape scandal Altman sidestepped. I'm still a bit shocked Altman survived that.

The point is, coaches have flaws. We just don't see Altman's with the same clarity as Miller's as Arizona fans.
I once saw Altman eat mayo with a spoon right from the jar.

Try looking past that flaw.....
Jim boeheim picks his nose on TV and wets himself and then there's another unfortunate incident.

And he only plays a zone, unless he's in Italy.

People love him. He is a great coach.
My wife still says, hey it's the nose picker, when hes on TV. Doesn't recognize coach k or bill self or Roy williams. She knows old Jim the picker.

We are spoiled.
Oh yeah, we're spoiled as having the coach that other team fans wifes call the profusely sweating guy
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not sure how we're feeling about Andy Katz's predictive powers these days, but he doesn't think AZ is among the best 36 teams in the nation to begin the season. 36!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... 6-200-days" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:Still a ton of Red Blue tickets left, mostly uppers though. Sad
Practice man
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just give it one more football loss to TT and it will sell out again
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:Just give it one more football loss to TT and it will sell out again
It's crazy how bad of shape the football program is in. It's been bad before, but this feels worse. Just makes hoops season all the more important.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Not sure how we're feeling about Andy Katz's predictive powers these days, but he doesn't think AZ is among the best 36 teams in the nation to begin the season. 36!

Has us as the 37th - one spot out - because he thinks he's slick. He had us at 25 before we lost Armstrong and Williams. A ton of the teams that rose in his rankings did so because "they did great on their trip to Italy" or whatever, which is really silly given the "quality" of talent teams play.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Not sure how we're feeling about Andy Katz's predictive powers these days, but he doesn't think AZ is among the best 36 teams in the nation to begin the season. 36!

Has us as the 37th - one spot out - because he thinks he's slick. He had us at 25 before we lost Armstrong and Williams. A ton of the teams that rose in his rankings did so because "they did great on their trip to Italy" or whatever, which is really silly given the "quality" of talent teams play.
Could just be that the whole ESPN cadre of college hoops reporters has it out for Miller in the worst way. We'd have to roll through the first two months without a loss for them to give us any sort of props.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Great write up
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Dave

Post by Dave »

Katz has us as the 5th best team in the Pac 12 with Washington, Oregon, Colorado and USC above us.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dave wrote:Katz has us as the 5th best team in the Pac 12 with Washington, Oregon, Colorado and USC above us.
So basically not a tourney team.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Great article. Love me some CSM. If the football program is smart you introduce them at halftime of the TT game and trot out Miller to address the crowd.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Dave wrote:Katz has us as the 5th best team in the Pac 12 with Washington, Oregon, Colorado and USC above us.
Katz has lost relevance since cashing those espn paychecks...you cannot support Miller/UA and work at EatShitPN...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lunardi, otoh, has us as the top seed in the Pac.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Great article. Love me some CSM. If the football program is smart you introduce them at halftime of the TT game and trot out Miller to address the crowd.
He's used to addressing crowds of 14,500 people.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Now that is funny Spiff
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

USC had the most talented roster in the conference last year and Andy Enfield coached them to a worse fucking record than we had last year. Any one who places faith in Andy Enfield with or without talent is a moron.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I like the coaching at Oregon and Washington and feel those will be our main rivals. I think UCLA will be better than people think and that CU and SC will be top 5 but will underperform.

I have been hearing Koloko is better than they had hoped. Doubt he plays a bunch of minutes but I find that encouraging for the long term
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Top tier: AZ, Oregon, UW
Second tier: ASU, UCLA, Utah
Third: USC, Stanford, Colorado
Bottom: Cal, OSU, WSU
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:I like the coaching at Oregon and Washington and feel those will be our main rivals. I think UCLA will be better than people think and that CU and SC will be too 5 but will underperform.

I have been hearing Koloko is better than they had hoped. Doubt he plays a bunch of minutes but I find that encouraging for the long term
I think we'll be better than predictions. Nico, Green and Nnaji are really good.

Koloko has always been a project. If he was ready to be in a rotation as a sophomore, I would consider it a win.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I like the coaching at Oregon and Washington and feel those will be our main rivals. I think UCLA will be better than people think and that CU and SC will be too 5 but will underperform.

I think we'll be better than predictions. Nico, Green and Nnaji are really good.

Koloko has always been a project. If he was ready to be in a rotation as a sophomore, I would consider it a win.
Better than predictions, eh? Well, Lunardi has us as a 4 seed. I've seen other preseason rankings with us in the 10-15 range. I don't put too much stock in the ESPN rankings because they're deadset on erasing AZ.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Great article. Love me some CSM. If the football program is smart you introduce them at halftime of the TT game and trot out Miller to address the crowd.
He's used to addressing crowds of 14,500 people.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azcat49 wrote:I have been hearing Koloko is better than they had hoped. Doubt he plays a bunch of minutes but I find that encouraging for the long term
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... ocess/amp/" target="_blank

Thought this was a pretty good article about the tourney. Figured this was the best place to put it
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Three Man Weave has posted their projected top 100 players for the 2019-20 season. Arizona is represented by Josh Green (#45) and Nico Mannion (#15).

45. Josh Green, F
Arizona’s “other” 5-star blue-chipper, Green is an off-the-charts athlete and terror in transition. He’s licking his chops at the notion of catching pinpoint lobs from Nico Mannion out on the break this year.

15. Nico Mannion, PG
With Brandon Williams confirmed out for the season, few rookies will be asked to carry a bigger burden than Mannion. Can the local kid from Phoenix resurrect his home state school from PAC-12 irrelevancy?

I think those are fair rankings for both - they'll need to be that good in order for us to reach the tournament and advance. And they both likely get a boost with Williams out, because while I think the team is better with Williams, these two guys will have a higher usage with the thinner backcourt.

We're one of twenty programs with two players in the top 100 (while an additional five have three or more) - from the conference we're joined by Washington, Colorado, and USC. Of note though: we're one of just a handful of programs with two or more players ranked in the top 50.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Things I learned: Arizona needs to be rescued from Pac12 irrelevancy. Am I on the football forum? :?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

YoDeFoe wrote:Three Man Weave has posted their projected top 100 players for the 2019-20 season. Arizona is represented by Josh Green (#45) and Nico Mannion (#15).

45. Josh Green, F
Arizona’s “other” 5-star blue-chipper, Green is an off-the-charts athlete and terror in transition. He’s licking his chops at the notion of catching pinpoint lobs from Nico Mannion out on the break this year.

15. Nico Mannion, PG
With Brandon Williams confirmed out for the season, few rookies will be asked to carry a bigger burden than Mannion. Can the local kid from Phoenix resurrect his home state school from PAC-12 irrelevancy?

I think those are fair rankings for both - they'll need to be that good in order for us to reach the tournament and advance. And they both likely get a boost with Williams out, because while I think the team is better with Williams, these two guys will have a higher usage with the thinner backcourt.

We're one of twenty programs with two players in the top 100 (while an additional five have three or more) - from the conference we're joined by Washington, Colorado, and USC. Of note though: we're one of just a handful of programs with two or more players ranked in the top 50.
Also of note, 2 frosh between Josh and Nico, 4 frosh ahead of Nico. Thought that was neat.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Things I learned: Arizona needs to be rescued from Pac12 irrelevancy. Am I on the football forum? :?
Yeah I thought that was a bit much. We're one season removed from winning the conference with a first team AA / #1 pick. The year prior we won the conference and advanced to the S16 as a 2 seed before losing on a last second shot.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Also, an interesting note: UCLA has no one in the top 125. They're joined by Cal, Stanford, and Utah. Ouch.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

irrelevancy?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Also, an interesting note: UCLA has no one in the top 125. They're joined by Cal, Stanford, and Utah. Ouch.
Shareef O’Neal might quickly make a case.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Also, an interesting note: UCLA has no one in the top 125. They're joined by Cal, Stanford, and Utah. Ouch.
Seriously? I thought Reef was kind of a project.
-Norlander.
tricat

Post by tricat »

Maybe I'm being too generous, but when I first read "PAC-12 irrelevancy" I interpreted it as a shot at the conference, not the school.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Really? I like Shareef, but..
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Without even playing a minute? Maybe top 50 freshmen, RS or not.

Overall recruiting rankings: Rivals: 40 247Sports: 52 ESPN: 32
97cats

Post by 97cats »

name inflated
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Ooh, boy. We were singing a different tune on Shareef when he was committed to AZ.

I do think he's got legit potential. Probably as much or more potential than any current Bruin.

UW and Oregon also have guys who probably belong in the top 125. That list feels insufficiently informed.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Reef was always projected as a multi-year player at UA.

Good call by 'Hater and Gumby in 2017!

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/posting ... 8&p=255870" target="_blank
gumby wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:What are the odds he ever makes it on campus?
As opposed to dying?

Shareef picked up on "family vibe." Must not be on Twitter, where these guys hate each other!!!! :D
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:name inflated
Yup.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Ooh, boy. We were singing a different tune on Shareef when he was committed to AZ.
No, we did not. He would've been an awful fit at Arizona under Sean Miller from the start. I'm not quite sure why we took him to be honest, but probably the name relevancy and the fact other recruits loved him played a major factor.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Ooh, boy. We were singing a different tune on Shareef when he was committed to AZ.

I do think he's got legit potential. Probably as much or more potential than any current Bruin.

UW and Oregon also have guys who probably belong in the top 125. That list feels insufficiently informed.
I don't really think so. I was hoping for a solid rotation guy as a freshman. The year off...who knows how that changed things for him.

Maybe I remember differently, but I don't think many people thought he was a guaranteed starter, let alone a top 125 guy.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Going back through the old threads, only one thinking Reef was a OAD was Reef.

ChooChooCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
prh wrote:Choo, I think you've discussed this before, but isn't Shareef likely going to be here a while getting an education, thanks to dad? Does that reduce concerns about less early playing time?
Shareef is on record as hoping he's a OND.....with that mindset, I don't see him sticking around for long.......I guess he could stick around for a second year but with him stating this, I'm not going to get too attached to him.....disappointing because Shaq stayed at LSU for 3 years!
I don't see a world where a guy who is a 4 that thinks he's a 3 is a OND.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

UW has two guys (Stewart at 17, McDaniels at 63) and Oregon has one (Pritchard at 33). Again, Cal, Stanford, Utah and UCLA are the programs without a top 125 player from this list.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Not sure if everyone saw these notes on the program, with Green being cleared for 100% of activities, Mannion and Koloko putting on 15lbs or more to go with another 7 players who added five pounds, and some comments regarding the construction and role of the extended coaching staff.

Josh having two healthy shoulders and a whole summer of just shooting the ball sounds like a nice prep for the season, especially since he knows how to play with Mannion so well and has a good basketball IQ in his own right. He'll need to get up to speed on defense, but all of the freshman will.

Mannion at 6'3" 190lbs - if legit - belies concerns that he won't be able to handle the impact of a full college basketball season and the minutes he'll demand in the Williams-less backcourt. Stoked to see that (for Nico and for the team).

The coaching adds are awesome to see - former Wildcats brought back into the fold to provide for better focus on fundamentals (Murphy), compliance (D. Miller), and "holistic / total life" coaching (Richards). Good stuff - very forward thinking (though also clearly a reaction to the fiasco of our coaching staff the last few seasons).
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mannion and Koloko putting on 15lbs...

Mannion at 6'3" 190lbs - if legit - belies concerns that he won't be able to handle the impact of a full college basketball season and the minutes he'll demand in the Williams-less backcourt. Stoked to see that (for Nico and for the team).
This is huge for me. I haven't felt like I have heard as much about Nico since summer session started. Lots of buzz about Zeke and Koloko but from what I've seen from the local coverage, but nothing super significant coming out about Nico. Kinda got me concerned that he wasn't totally looking like the same guy. Which I guess considering how the last two years went, no news about a player is probably the best news most of the time.

Still, awesome to see that he's put on that much weight at his size. I love me some Chris Rounds.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Not sure if everyone saw these notes on the program, with Green being cleared for 100% of activities, Mannion and Koloko putting on 15lbs or more to go with another 7 players who added five pounds, and some comments regarding the construction and role of the extended coaching staff.

Josh having two healthy shoulders and a whole summer of just shooting the ball sounds like a nice prep for the season, especially since he knows how to play with Mannion so well and has a good basketball IQ in his own right. He'll need to get up to speed on defense, but all of the freshman will.

The coaching adds are awesome to see - former Wildcats brought back into the fold to provide for better focus on fundamentals (Murphy), compliance (D. Miller), and "holistic / total life" coaching (Richards). Good stuff - very forward thinking (though also clearly a reaction to the fiasco of our coaching staff the last few seasons).
Koloko's physical development is huge for his overall potential. He has length and you can't teach size.

Guys like Nico and Green developing physically...our S&C program is legit.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I wonder if Chris Rounds teaches any kind of strength and conditioning classes. He would have you shredded in no time.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote: Mannion and Koloko putting on 15lbs...

This is huge for me. I haven't felt like I have heard as much about Nico since summer session started. Lots of buzz about Zeke and Koloko but from what I've seen from the local coverage, but nothing super significant coming out about Nico. Kinda got me concerned that he wasn't totally looking like the same guy. Which I guess considering how the last two years went, no news about a player is probably the best news most of the time.

Still, awesome to see that he's put on that much weight at his size. I love me some Chris Rounds.
I saw a few rumblings on the twitter-machine that Nico was a beast in pick-up game play, coming from former D1 players and trainers. Didn't save links or anything, but it was a run in Utah if I recall correctly.

Point being: if you're giving 220lb ballers in their 20's buckets as a reclass freshman... you've got game.