let's talk '21

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BeardownZonaZona

Re: let's talk '21

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Lloyd is a patient person. Fit really matters to him. He's not just going to offer a ton of guys at one position. He's very picky. Don't expect us to get a point guard anytime soon. We're going to wait it out and see what our options are. When Lloyd really likes someone he sees, he will go all out
I said what I said and I mean it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Seems like every backup to Kriisa is like Daniel Dillon. Just pass the ball around the perimeter and don't lose the lead.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I know Hickman wasn't interested at all but it's funny he cites homesickness as his decommitment reason and has Kansas and Auburn on his list.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Thu May 13, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeardownZonaZona

I expect it to be that way in recruiting as well. At Gonzaga he did the same thing. He's only going to offer about 2 or 3 guys per position and when things start getting serious, he'll prioritize what he thinks is best and who he thinks he can get. Majority of coaches will offer a ton of guys at each position and let things work itself out. Not saying either way is better, it's just a unique strategy. Like let's say we need a 4 for next the next class. He's only going to offer 2 or 3 guys at that position and focus all their time into those three or so. Very different recruiting strategy than we used to use or what is generally done across the country
BeardownZonaZona

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:55 pm I know Hickman wasn't interested at all but it's funny he cites homesickness as his recommitment reason and has Kansas and Auburn on his list.
We all know that was an excuse to leave because his buddy Tyty and Wheeler are going to Kentucky
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:55 pm I expect it to be that way in recruiting as well. At Gonzaga he did the same thing. He's only going to offer about 2 or 3 guys per position and when things start getting serious, he'll prioritize what he thinks is best and who he thinks he can get. Majority of coaches will offer a ton of guys at each position and let things work itself out. Not saying either way is better, it's just a unique strategy. Like let's say we need a 4 for next the next class. He's only going to offer 2 or 3 guys at that position and focus all their time into those three or so. Very different recruiting strategy than we used to use or what is generally done across the country
Yeah I've noticed this with transfers so far this year. Usually during transfer season, you'd see a ton of guys list Arizona as schools they've been talking to or got an offer even through 95% of them weren't serious offers or interest.

This Georgia kid is possibly the only one we've been listed on.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:44 pm If and I mean IF Kiers becomes a legit option for us (at the moment it’s just reaching out) then Arizona is going with a plan of Kerr as our primary PG and Terry/Larsson/Kiers playing spot minutes at the 1. Arizona may go this route regardless if it decides to move on Kiers or not. It’s much more likely we’re going to be patient and see what options turn up.
Any chance Tyty enters the transfer portal this summer? Seems like the trendy thing this year.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:00 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:44 pm If and I mean IF Kiers becomes a legit option for us (at the moment it’s just reaching out) then Arizona is going with a plan of Kerr as our primary PG and Terry/Larsson/Kiers playing spot minutes at the 1. Arizona may go this route regardless if it decides to move on Kiers or not. It’s much more likely we’re going to be patient and see what options turn up.
Any chance Tyty enters the transfer portal this summer? Seems like the trendy thing this year.
If he completely flops next year at Kentucky, I'm much more skeptical of taking these Kentucky or Duke rejects after the last couple of years. Juzang's of the world are rare.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:05 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:00 pm
If he completely flops next year at Kentucky, I'm much more skeptical of taking these Kentucky or Duke rejects after the last couple of years. Juzang's of the world are rare.
You mean, you aren't wistful for the Chase Jeter era?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:55 pm Seems like every backup to Kriisa is like Daniel Dillon. Just pass the ball around the perimeter and don't lose the lead.
I mean or Nick Johnson or Jordin Mayes or Countless other examples.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:20 pm
Merkin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:55 pm Seems like every backup to Kriisa is like Daniel Dillon. Just pass the ball around the perimeter and don't lose the lead.
All-American as a junior Nick Johnson?

And FWIW, a low impact backup for Kriisa who will play 10-12 mpg and not kill you is an asset. If PJC had spent more time in that role, we'd regard him more favorably.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:25 pm

And FWIW, a low impact backup for Kriisa who will play 10-12 mpg and not kill you is an asset. If PJC had spent more time in that role, we'd regard him more favorably.
Did you see Nick Johnson as an actual point guard? Obviously my point is our backup PG more often than not is not a PG.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

my point is Dalen Terry annoys the muther fucking hell out of me

***my point had nothing to do with ChooChoo - i just wanted to tell everyone im still annoyed with Dalen Terry on the floor***

thank you
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

PJC under Allen is basically the only true PG/primary ballhandler I can think of that was a true PG and a backup recently. Allen himself wasn't a true pg. Kobi? lol

Arizona was mostly fine with just one, Larsson or someone else on the transfer market can't be that much worse than Trier or NJ or York was running the point.

We'll be fine with Kerr eating up 30+, silly to worry about the times he's off the floor. I mean we're talking about Barcello minutes.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Thu May 13, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:47 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:25 pm

Did you see Nick Johnson as an actual point guard? Obviously my point is our backup PG more often than not is not a PG.
I honestly don't remember him doing that as a backup. All his three years, Mayes was there. In every year, Turner/Mayes, Lyons/Mayes and McConnell/Mayes all totaled about a combined 40 mpg.

I would never class him as actually filling that role. That was Mayes all 3 years. It's different for me to talk about an emergency guy vs our current situation where Terry, Pelle or Mathurin would be our primary backup.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:13 pm PJC under Allen is basically the only true PG
now im really fucking annoyed
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is it true they're changing the name of the McKale Center to the Jackson-Cartwright Center?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:13 pm PJC under Allen is basically the only true PG I can think of that was a true PG and a backup recently. Allen himself want a true pf. Kobi? lol

Arizona was mostly fine with just one, Larsson or someone else on the transfer market can't be that much worse than Trier or NJ or York was running the point.

We'll be fine with Kerr eating up 30+, silly to worry about the times he's off the floor. I mean we're talking about Barcello minutes.
Really?

I'd say Terrell Brown behind Akinjo was a real PG behind a PG last year. 19-20 was going to be a dual as well with BWill and Nico until BWill's knee didn't cooperate.

Before that, Barcello behind Coleman and Coleman sharing with BWill. Barcello behind PJC. PJC and Kadeem either one behind or paired.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

You can't go into the season with one PG, especially when that one PG has never scored a 2 pt FG in his career.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:30 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:13 pm PJC under Allen is basically the only true PG I can think of that was a true PG and a backup recently. Allen himself want a true pf. Kobi? lol

Really?

I'd say Terrell Brown behind Akinjo was a real PG behind a PG last year. 19-20 was going to be a dual as well with BWill and Nico until BWill's knee didn't cooperate.

Before that, Barcello behind Coleman and Coleman sharing with BWill. Barcello behind PJC. PJC and Kadeem either one behind or paired.
Other than Bwill, yuck and not really true PGs. None of them make the team better.

With what you said previously, do you actually want another PG or a scorer who can handle the ball?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:34 pm You can't go into the season with one PG, especially when that one PG has never scored a 2 pt FG in his career.
I'd rather have a PG who can spread the floor with his shooting to open up the driving lanes for the wings and unclog the the paint for the bigs.

One of the big deficiencies with TJ/NJ type pairing.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Thu May 13, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I just want to take a pause and fucking BASK IN THE JOY that come this fall, I'll be in a packed McKale Center rooting on these Wildcats (whoever they may be, in the end). Legit makes me a bit misty - what a gift it will be.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:08 pm
gronk4heisman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:34 pm You can't go into the season with one PG, especially when that one PG has never scored a 2 pt FG in his career.
I'd rather have a PG who can speed the floor with his shooting to open up the driving lanes on the wings and unclog the the paint for the bigs.
Larsson reminds me of Bogdan Bogdanović (aka Bogi, plays for the Atlanta Hawks) where he can create opportunities for his teammates based on the gravity of his shooting (deeeeep range) as well as his ability to get into the middle of the defense off a drive or through the pick and roll. Pelle was second on his team in assists last season despite starting at SG. I know the turnovers are a concern but I'd like to believe a better team, an NCAA season under his belt, and better coaching/system will help.

He averaged 15pts / 7rebs / 6asts at the FIBA U18 two summers ago.

“Sharing the ball, I think, and making sure there’s a good flow and rhythm in the team,” Larsson said. “And making plays to try to get other people open, I think that’s the strongest part of my game.”
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:58 pm my point is Dalen Terry annoys the muther fucking hell out of me

***my point had nothing to do with ChooChoo - i just wanted to tell everyone im still annoyed with Dalen Terry on the floor***

thank you
Show us on the doll where Dalen Terry touched you lol. Honestly I probably missed this, but what’s your beef with Dalen?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Either way best case scenario (at least as far as the eyes can see) is Nolan Hickman committing to Gonzaga and pushing Dominick Harris to transfer. You get a combo guard with high upside that knows the system. Make it so Number one.
BeardownZonaZona

I've been saying Harris for about a week now. If that happens I'd be very happy
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Dominick Harris as a result of Hickman domino would be ideal.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Harris would be huge. Cook would be fine. Gimme one of those two and we're in a great spot to start the season (oh yeah, Kaluma can come too).

If Hickman is serious about playing near home, KU and Auburn don't make a lick of sense. Auburn requires flying into ATL and then driving two hours back into Alabama - its a joke how hard it is to get to. And if every team in the country isn't using "KU is going to catch the NCAA hammer this season" as counter-recruiting then they're not doing their jobs. That leaves... our newfound brothers in the PNW, the Zags! Make it happen, Nolan!
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

It's between Gonzaga and the G-League with Hickman apparently.

Unfortunately he looked really good at the Iverson classic. He jumped like 20 spots in the new rivals rankings as a result of that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:14 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:13 pm PJC under Allen is basically the only true PG
In some ways, PJC was better than Mike Bibby.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:45 pm Harris would be huge. Cook would be fine. Gimme one of those two and we're in a great spot to start the season (oh yeah, Kaluma can come too).

If Hickman is serious about playing near home, KU and Auburn don't make a lick of sense. Auburn requires flying into ATL and then driving two hours back into Alabama - its a joke how hard it is to get to. And if every team in the country isn't using "KU is going to catch the NCAA hammer this season" as counter-recruiting then they're not doing their jobs. That leaves... our newfound brothers in the PNW, the Zags! Make it happen, Nolan!
To be fair I think he ends up at Zaga, but the whole “being close to home” excuse his dad gave was pure bullshit.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:43 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:45 pm Harris would be huge. Cook would be fine. Gimme one of those two and we're in a great spot to start the season (oh yeah, Kaluma can come too).

To be fair I think he ends up at Zaga, but the whole “being close to home” excuse his dad gave was pure bullshit.
I assume the Hickmans and the Washingtons simply don't like each other? Nolan and TyTy have had some battles this past season and when Nolan was asked to list his top five PGs in the class he noticeably left TyTy off the list. Maybe I'm mixing up the chicken and the egg in that decommitment though.
BeardownZonaZona

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:02 pm

I assume the Hickmans and the Washingtons simply don't like each other? Nolan and TyTy have had some battles this past season and when Nolan was asked to list his top five PGs in the class he noticeably left TyTy off the list. Maybe I'm mixing up the chicken and the egg in that decommitment though.
Nope. They're friends. Tyty and Nolan are buddies. Talked about possibly playing together. Just knows that Tyty is way better than him
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

That's weird. Considering this article.

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketb ... teammates/

He was recruiting him to Kentucky before he blew up.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:42 pm Dominick Harris as a result of Hickman domino would be ideal.
Is this a legit possibility, or are you guys just brainstorming?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:10 pm

Nope. They're friends. Tyty and Nolan are buddies. Talked about possibly playing together. Just knows that Tyty is way better than him
If it were up to Jahii Carson and Nick Johnson they both would’ve went to U of A together. When parents run recruitments shit gets wonky. Tyty’s dad wasn’t going to allow his son to share the spotlight with Hickman. Once Hickman left that cleared the door for his dad to sign off on that move.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:15 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:42 pm Dominick Harris as a result of Hickman domino would be ideal.
Brainstorming. If the Zags land Hickman then Harris gets absolutely buried on the depth chart and he’s better than that.
BeardownZonaZona

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:32 pm
Brainstorming. If the Zags land Hickman then Harris gets absolutely buried on the depth chart and he’s better than that.
Yup. His dad is also somewhat difficult. Couldn't see his dad being happy when they have Sallis, Nembhard, Hickman, Rasir Bolton, and more. He won't play much at all. I believe Gonzaga is already at the scholarship max anyways so them taking Hickman would mean someone would have to go. Harris was a top 75 kid out of high school and showed promise of being a really good player. Should be getting minutes somewhere. He already knows the system and is close with Lloyd. Makes perfect sense
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:38 pm
Yup. His dad is also somewhat difficult. Couldn't see his dad being happy when they have Sallis, Nembhard, Hickman, Rasir Bolton, and more. He won't play much at all. I believe Gonzaga is already at the scholarship max anyways so them taking Hickman would mean someone would have to go. Harris was a top 75 kid out of high school and showed promise of being a really good player. Should be getting minutes somewhere. He already knows the system and is close with Lloyd. Makes perfect sense
I honestly can’t believe he hasn’t entered the portal yet.
loomer

Post by loomer »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:19 pm
I'd rather have a PG who can speed the floor with his shooting to open up the driving lanes on the wings and unclog the the paint for the bigs.
Larsson reminds me of Bogdan Bogdanović (aka Bogi, plays for the Atlanta Hawks) where he can create opportunities for his teammates based on the gravity of his shooting (deeeeep range) as well as his ability to get into the middle of the defense off a drive or through the pick and roll. Pelle was second on his team in assists last season despite starting at SG. I know the turnovers are a concern but I'd like to believe a better team, an NCAA season under his belt, and better coaching/system will help.

“Sharing the ball, I think, and making sure there’s a good flow and rhythm in the team,” Larsson said. “And making plays to try to get other people open, I think that’s the strongest part of my game.”
Lloyd gave a Matt Bouldin comparison in the interview with Rothstein. Bouldin was very good for the Zags in 2009-2010 but Larsson seems like a better pure shooter.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:00 pm

Actual shot of this year’s transfers entering the portal.
BeardownZonaZona

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:04 pm

If I were Harris, I would've booked as soon as they got Bolton
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:35 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:04 pm

If I were Harris, I would've booked as soon as they got Bolton
Exactly
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:19 pm

I'm trying to get some time to go through some of his games, but funny you say Bogi. I immediately thought the same thing. Mainly from a frame, movement, and some similar skills (it seems) albeit on a much lesser level and development.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:05 pm
97cats wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:14 pm
In some ways, PJC was better than Mike Bibby.
Blasphemy!!!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:38 pm
Someone once mentioned a couple weeks back that we might be going after someone not yet in the portal yet. I wonder who he was referring to?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:11 am
Kaluma is rated the No. 43 player in the ‘21 class, according to 247Sports’ composite rankings. ESPN.com puts him at No. 46 in its rankings for the class.

“He’s very underrated,’' Stevens said. “The Covid year really hurt his stock. I think you’d see him in the top 25 if he’d been able to play more and be seen more this past year.’’

Stevens said he expected Kaluma to have a decision by early next week and possibly sooner. Kaluma graduates from Dream City Christian School in Glendale, Arizona, next week.

“His goal is to be in summer school and get to work,’' Stevens said. “It’s coming together quite fast for him.’'
Could go into next week apparently

Idk about the top 25, but i agree in a normal year, Kaluma could be a top 30-35 guy. His 247 ranking history had him as high as #16 overall in summer of 2020. Top 20 for most of the first half of 2020

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Arthu ... ory=top247
If he doesn't commit today, certainly does seem like it'll drag into next week.

Always makes me nervous when a recruitment drags on and a kid doesn't pull the trigger, feels like we always lose on those recruitments.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:24 am Always makes me nervous when a recruitment drags on and a kid doesn't pull the trigger, feels like we always lose on those recruitments.
Like Ivan Rabb? Has a recruitment ever dragged on so long?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Josh Jackson, Justise Winslow...
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

When recruitments that we lead on drag on, those players are usually looking for a reason not to come here. You can easily find a reason not to go someplace.