let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: let's talk '17

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Davis would seem closer to a pg, which is what I asume we're looking for unless Trier leaves and Bowen isn't coming.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Davis would seem closer to a pg, which is what I asume we're looking for unless Trier leaves and Bowen isn't coming.
From what I recall our recruitment of him died the moment Brandon Randolph committed, to the point he had a visit set up to us for the following weekend and he cancelled it. I don't think he has intentions of playing PG otherwise the Randolph commitment wouldn't have caused that reaction. I'd bet he ends up at Gonzaga.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

With Randolph, Smith, Barcello on the team for the next 3-4 years do we really need another SG who isn't a ball handler and can't play any other position.

Seems like we can get someone better in the next couple of years.

We need a SF who can defend badly (Akot reclassifies hopefully), PG as well, obviously. Don't really need another SG who won't contribute early.

If we do get Jeter that's one less spot also. I don't see how the schollie math works
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

the scholie math always works.

We never pass on what we need/want because of scholarship issues. It's easy to disappear someone.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:With Randolph, Smith, Barcello on the team for the next 3-4 years do we really need another SG who isn't a ball handler and can't play any other position.

Seems like we can get someone better in the next couple of years.

We need a SF who can defend badly (Akot reclassifies hopefully), PG as well, obviously. Don't really need another SG who won't contribute early.

If we do get Jeter that's one less spot also. I don't see how the schollie math works
I think Baker can handle well enough to be a combo guard.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Choo, in terms of roster composition next year... Is Pinder on pace to graduate? Seems like the staff is looking at a lot of options to for next year (bowen, akot, davis, duval, jeter*), all with high hopes of Trier and Alkins returning. There has to be some other potential turnover.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Schollie Mathz twenty seventeen/twenty eighteen;

1. Dusan Ristic
2. Chief Comanche
3. Parker "Parker Jackson-Cartwright" Jackson-Cartwright​
4. Dylan Smith
5. Allonzo Trier
6. Rawle Alkins
7. DeAndre Ayton
8. Brandon Randolph
9. Alex Barcello
10. Keanu Pinder
11. Ira Lee
12. Akot/Duval/Bowen/grad transfer/Davis/Baker
12b. Talbot Denny ???? I assume he's on scholarship, but idk
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:Choo, in terms of roster composition next year... Is Pinder on pace to graduate? Seems like the staff is looking at a lot of options to for next year (bowen, akot, davis, duval, jeter*), all with high hopes of Trier and Alkins returning. There has to be some other potential turnover.
I certainly haven't heard anything about the staff moving on from Pinder. Previously I heard they were possibly anticipating him redshirting next season as a matter of fact, although that was a good while ago and not sure what the staff thinks about that now. As far as I know 12 scholarships are currently spoken for with both Trier and Rawle likely to return. Overall I agree with you that there is some more potential turnover that none of us are talking about. I just don't know what it is at the moment. What I do know is Sean Miller isn't stupid and he has or will have a plan.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Does Denny have the ability to get minutes? security for injury?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:Does Denny have the ability to get minutes? security for injury?
Not barring an emergency/blowout honestly. More practice/chemistry guy.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I think Denny was always a "key practice player". With this latest injury, I imagine he has to consider retiring like Ray Smith did. His scholarship will then roll to an academic one, freeing up an athletic scholarship.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Scout interview with Bowen:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... recruiting" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Ristic to Europe?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Scout interview with Brandon McCoy:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... ndon-mccoy" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
I think Denny was always a "key practice player". With this latest injury, I imagine he has to consider retiring like Ray Smith did. His scholarship will then roll to an academic one, freeing up an athletic scholarship.
Don't think that rule would apply to him, since he's already graduated. I think either he's on athletic scholarship next year as a 6th year guy who would get approved for his 6th year due to injuries or he's not on scholarship at all.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Ristic to Europe?
No.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azcat49 wrote:Ristic to Europe?
If we can get Brandon McCoy to play the 5 and Ayton the 4, hell yes. Not happening though
Arizona: "Me and DeAndre Ayton played together in AAU and we've lived together since the eighth grade so automatically there's that chemistry. Sean Miller and coach (Joe) Pasternack are doing a great job recruiting me and to have those two coaches recruit me and want me to play for them is an honor. "
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

dmjcat wrote:Scout interview wit
I feel like I might make a decision in the next couple of weeks so stay tuned for that.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up with McCoy. I'm just hoping Jordan Bell leaves Oregon after this run and doesn't come back to run along side McCoy.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
If not Bowen and Duval then Bowen and a transfer of some sort is the best guess.

There's rumors that a player previously believed to for sure be leaving after this year will very likely be staying now. That may impact Bowen's decision or a player currently on the roster's decision if true. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out.
I'm assuming the player rumored to be staying is Trier. Just connecting the dots. Only one that would really impact Bowen's decision as well as a current player on the roster (Kobi). Can you say either way choo?

I still think Lauri and Kobi are gone and Trier and Rawle are back. I'd love Duval but I believe he's going to go to Seton Hall.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
If not Bowen and Duval then Bowen and a transfer of some sort is the best guess.

There's rumors that a player previously believed to for sure be leaving after this year will very likely be staying now. That may impact Bowen's decision or a player currently on the roster's decision if true. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out.
I'm assuming the player rumored to be staying is Trier. Just connecting the dots. Only one that would really impact Bowen's decision as well as a current player on the roster (Kobi). Can you say either way choo?

I still think Lauri and Kobi are gone and Trier and Rawle are back. I'd love Duval but I believe he's going to go to Seton Hall.
You're on the right track my man. Also why Seton Hall for Duvall? It could honestly be anybody at this point and even not college at all, but just curious why you think it's Seton Hall.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
billk78 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:

You're on the right track my man. Also why Seton Hall for Duvall? It could honestly be anybody at this point and even not college at all, but just curious why you think it's Seton Hall.
Played high school ball in Newark which is right around the block. I am from the area Jersey and I know a lot of local sports reporters and they seem to think Seton Hall is going to make a big run at the kid. He has family and friends in the area (including many friends on the team) and likes the idea of playing in the NJ/NY area.

Don't know anything for sure, but I have a gut feeling about it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Davis would seem closer to a pg, which is what I asume we're looking for unless Trier leaves and Bowen isn't coming.
From what I recall our recruitment of him died the moment Brandon Randolph committed, to the point he had a visit set up to us for the following weekend and he cancelled it. I don't think he has intentions of playing PG otherwise the Randolph commitment wouldn't have caused that reaction. I'd bet he ends up at Gonzaga.
I don't know a ton about him, but seeing him listed as a combo makes me think he is closer to the need type than the kid from Cal, although Duval or a grad transfer is probably preferable.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

KU article on Duval. Interesting quote:

"There've been rumblings about Arizona and Duke emerging as the favorites for Duval, but, from everything I've heard, the Kansas coaching staff is still in it and continues to go after him with the belief they can still get him."

http://m.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait ... itment-of/" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Ayton recruiting hard for AZ:

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... dae3f.html" target="_blank

ARIZONA BASKETBALL
Brian Bowen getting full-court press from Arizona Wildcats, top recruiter DeAndre Ayton
By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Mar 28, 2017 Updated 9 min ago

Forward Brian Bowen, posing at the McDonald’s All American Game portrait day, says he is waiting to see how the rosters shake out with some college teams before making a decision on where to go.

UA commit DeAndre Ayton, lower left, says he’s hounding other McDonald’s All Americans to join him at Arizona.
CHICAGO — Already a two-time visitor to Tucson, five-star forward Brian Bowen has watched his McDonald’s All American experience get hijacked into another Arizona recruiting visit of sorts.

That’s because his roommate this week is DeAndre Ayton.

“I’m recruiting him all the way,” said Ayton, the highest rated of UA’s four recruits so far in the class of 2017. “I’m bugging him all the time. He still hasn’t decided and given me any edge on what he’s doing. But he’s getting an earful from me every day.”

Ayton, who says he’s also hounding five-star point guard Trevon Duval of Delaware and fellow big man Brandon McCoy of San Diego, says he’s not sure how many players UA will lose early this spring.

That’s a big problem for Bowen, too.

The five-star, 6-foot-7-inch wing from Michigan says he’s postponing his decision until rosters shake out over the next few weeks, while he still considers UA, Creighton, Michigan State and, to a lesser extent, Texas and N.C. State.

UA is expected to lose forward Lauri Markkenen and guard Kobi Simmons to pro basketball, while wings Allonzo Trier and Rawle Alkins appear to be considering whether to stay or not.

“That’s really the thing I’m waiting on,” Bowen said Tuesday, during media interviews in advance of Wednesday’s McDonald’s All American game. “I’m not really sure what’s going to happen, not just with them but with all my schools. It’s tough.”

Provided there’s the kind of room he is looking for at Arizona, Bowen may be already sold on the rest of the UA program. He’s visited twice, even paying his own way to take in the Feb. 25 UA-UCLA game on an unofficial visit.

“Coach (Sean) Miller is a great guy and (so is) the staff,” Bowen said. “I had a great visit when I was there and … the amount of wing guys they have going to the NBA is really a big thing for me. I want to go to the NBA. I really enjoyed their recruitment of me as well and they’re really pushing the guys that they’ve had committed to just win national championships.”

Bowen said Creighton coach Greg McDermott has talked to him about “being a big-time scorer surrounded by shooters,” while Michigan State has long been chasing its local prospect (so long, in fact, that doubts have arisen about Bowen’s interest in the Spartans).

Bowen is from Saginaw, Michigan, though he opted to play for Indiana’s La Lumiere School this season.

MSU coach Tom Izzo “keeps pushing the home factor and everything,” Bowen said. “That’s big time because I love my state. It’s really just me taking my time and when I feel 100 percent about a school is the time I’m gonna make my decision.”

Bowen is hardly the only five-star talent who hasn’t settled on a school yet. Six of the 24 McDonald’s All Americans are undecided, and half of those are still considering Arizona.

While Duval was unavailable for comment during Tuesday’s media interview session — a staffer said he wasn’t feeling well — McCoy said he’s considering Arizona because he enjoyed playing with Ayton on the California Supreme travel team last summer.

The two big men, both transplanted San Diegans earlier in their high school careers, were even named co-MVPs of the EYBL Indianapolis event last April.

“He was playing up top (in the post) and I’d be playing down low but there’d be times I’d be high and I’d hit him down low,” McCoy said. “It was so fun. That was probably the funnest summer I ever had.”

However, Arizona is considered a long shot for McCoy because of the returners the Wildcats have in the post, assuming both Dusan Ristic and Chance Comanche are back to team with Ayton.

A native of Chicago who says he’s also interested in a return to the Midwest, McCoy is also considering Michigan State, Oregon, UNLV and San Diego State.

The Wildcats may have a better shot at Duval, who has potential to take over point guard while playing with Parker Jackson-Cartwright and signee Alex Barcello, while Bowen’s potential role at UA is difficult to envision until the NBA smoke clears.

So it may be a while yet.

“I was thinking about committing a while ago, months ago, and I just thought I’ll take my time,” Bowen said. “It’s a big decision, with guys staying and leaving, just a lot of things.”
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yea so uh, Dusan, bye.
prh

Post by prh »

I thought the likely outcome was Denny's scholarship opening up? I've heard that wouldn't be as much of a problem for him as most students, and it seems clear that he won't be in a position to play much anyways.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Duval is a really talented kid that fills our most pressing need.

Bowen is a really talented kid that may or may not exist depending on Trier's return.

McCoy, well, we need to lose someone unexpected, or I don't see how that works. Ayton, Dusan, Chance, Pinder and Lee is already deep. So...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Bowen is a really talented kid that may or may not exist depending on Trier's return.
sentence of the century
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

EVCat wrote:the scholie math always works.

We never pass on what we need/want because of scholarship issues. It's easy to disappear someone.
Can we still say Romar'd now that he's gone from UDub?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Not barring an emergency/blowout honestly. More practice/chemistry guy.
I'm guessing he was only promised a scholarship for one year.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:
EVCat wrote:the scholie math always works.

Can we still say Romar'd now that he's gone from UDub?
Now that it's in the OED, I'd say yes:

Romar, v.
View as: Outline |Full entryKeywords: On |OffQuotations: Show all |Hide all
Pronunciation: U.S. /ˈroˌmar/
Forms: 16 18– romar
Frequency (in current use):
Origin: A borrowing from Lorenzo Romar.

1. trans. To take away a current player's scholarship to make available to a recruit; to banish; to exclude from favour, or from a basketball program or society or group; to refuse to speak to or acknowledge. Usu. in pass.

2004 Topcat: A scholarship is always made available upon any player getting Romar'd.

http://www.oed.com.proxy2.library.illin ... =romar#eid" target="_blank
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

No one in the nation seems to know where Duval will go, but since Graham will likely come back KU seems to be out. Leaving Arizona & Duke. Even though Frank Jackson is coming back, it will probably still be Duke because we can't have anything nice.
Barcello & Randolph two of the best shooters in the class according to Biancardi
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

dmjcat wrote:KU article on Duval. Interesting quote:

"There've been rumblings about Arizona and Duke emerging as the favorites for Duval, but, from everything I've heard, the Kansas coaching staff is still in it and continues to go after him with the belief they can still get him."

http://m.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait ... itment-of/" target="_blank

Brian Bowen waiting for Wildcats to decide on NBA Draft before committing

The undecided 2017 prospect told reporters Tuesday at McDonald’s All-American practice that his decision to commit to Arizona hinges on which Wildcats head to the NBA.

That's really the thing that I'm waiting on,” Bowen told 247Sports. “Not just with them, but all the schools.”

The 6-foot-7 forward also gave some insight to 247Sports on what Sean Miller and Arizona are pitching him.

“Really, their big pitch is the amount of wing guys they have going to the NBA,” he said. “That's really a big thing for me. I want to go to the NBA. I really enjoy them recruiting me and everything as well and they're really pushing the guys that they already have committed and just winning National Championships.8-)

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... -draft-msu" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Maybe that's why the earlier than needed press conference. Let the recruits know if they have a spot or not.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Merkin wrote:Had an Arizona offer.

Better than Oregon
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Wonder if we'd kick the tires on this guy.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... ions?s=172
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Amauri Hardy decomitted from Oklahoma State. I'm not sure if he's quite Arizona good, but he's definitely a true Point Guard.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RaisingArizona wrote:Amauri Hardy decomitted from Oklahoma State. I'm not sure if he's quite Arizona good, but he's definitely a true Point Guard.
From a few YouTube videos:

Kid loves to go left. Not sure why we would take him and Barcello, though. Seems like 2 developmental guards in one class.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I thought we viewed Barcello as a combo guard.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Barcello is a combo right now...a scorer...who has the skills to be a point with a good point guard coach. I think the goal there is to get him on the court early for his shooting but groom him to be a point. But you cannot count on him being an effective point this year, and you cannot just take one point and say "well, this is X's position"...not anymore. We need some kind of depth at this position. It stands to de-rail us next year...the lack of true PG play...in another gut wrenching way because we will have all the parts to compete other than that position. Hopefully PJC steps up and improves and Barcello is able to give him some rest in spots, but that is not a recipe we should feel comfortable with if we can fix it in any way.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RaisingArizona wrote:I thought we viewed Barcello as a combo guard.
I think he is. I just don't think he is an immediate contributor. Same with Hardy. Both are 4 year developmental guys, and I'm not sure you want two backcourt developmental guys that you don't expect immediate help from in a single class.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

If Duval does go Duke, idk if Miller would go after him. Probably unlikely
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote: If Duval does go Duke, idk if Miller would go after him. Probably unlikely
I would mind just based on talent level, but looking at his past, Louisville is the furthest West he's ever been interested in.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

If he isn't going to ultimately pick Arizona I hope he just cuts Arizona from his list today so we can move on.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

NYCat wrote:If he isn't going to ultimately pick Arizona I hope he just cuts Arizona from his list today so we can move on.
I hope it's us and Duke....but I think Duke and Seton Hall. Can't wait till 4.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

You know, I knew it was April fool's day because all unfunny jokes all the corporations try to do today. But somehow it didn't cross my mind with the Duval tweet.

You just know he's going to do the same thing Terrance Ferguson did last year.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah this stinks of April Fool's shenanigans, although I do echo NYCAT's sentiments that if he's not going to come here I wish he'd just eliminate us already so we can focus elsewhere.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

April Fools joke as expected
-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Daejon Davis to Stanford.