UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by Harvey Specter »

Frybry02 wrote:Everybody take a deep breath. Sure the 4 losses are frustrating because the Cats could have won all four games. They have lost 4 games by a total of 10 points! At the beginning of the season, if you would have told me that cats would be 16-4 with the onslaught of injuries and loss of talent, I would have taken that record anytime and still would.

Is winning the PAC regular season an uphill battle presently? Damn right it is. Get trier back and to full speed, this team will win the PAC 12 tournament and will make a deep run in the tournament.
^This. The loss definitely hurts, but we are in fine shape all things considered.

We still have a legitimate shot at the conference tourney. We need to sweep at home, and do no worse than a split in each of our remaining roadtips. 13-5 has a chance to win the conference.

Hold serve at home, and sweep one road trip, and at 14-4 we will win the PP12. Big week coming up... #MustSweep
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

U cant take the easy way out here though. This team takes extended lapses in big games. This team literally hands out easy baskets almost all game. And then they have to grind games out, get it close, and end up on the wrong side. Its easy to say, the conference is tough, these are road games, its early, Triers out, whatever. Its only an uphill battle because we are making it that way for ourselves. we made the UCLA, USC, and Cal games uphill battles when they didnt have to be and now the conference season is becoming an uphill battle when we should be undefeated and letting everyone else beat each other up
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

rgdeuce wrote:U cant take the easy way out here though. This team takes extended lapses in big games. This team literally hands out easy baskets almost all game. And then they have to grind games out, get it close, and end up on the wrong side. Its easy to say, the conference is tough, these are road games, its early, Triers out, whatever. Its only an uphill battle because we are making it that way for ourselves. we made the UCLA, USC, and Cal games uphill battles when they didnt have to be and now the conference season is becoming an uphill battle when we should be undefeated and letting everyone else beat each other up
We are not winning every close game on the road, and we have not laid an egg against a non-tournament team.

Despite the frustrations we all have, I still contend that this team is better collectively than the collection of available talent we have suggests we should be. If Miller had Cal's talent, what do you think our record would be?

This is a down year for Arizona Basketball... and look at what we still can accomplish.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

rgdeuce wrote:U cant take the easy way out here though. This team takes extended lapses in big games. This team literally hands out easy baskets almost all game. And then they have to grind games out, get it close, and end up on the wrong side. Its easy to say, the conference is tough, these are road games, its early, Triers out, whatever. Its only an uphill battle because we are making it that way for ourselves. we made the UCLA, USC, and Cal games uphill battles when they didnt have to be and now the conference season is becoming an uphill battle when we should be undefeated and letting everyone else beat each other up
Crazy shit happens and dumb shit happens. This team is not and will not be the defensive juggernaut like the past 2 years. The margin for error is smaller and the that is obvious. Cats missed a lot of "easy ones" and Ristics stupid chin-up on the rim that he was lucky to not get tee'd up for. We're the cats at their best bs USC, UCLA, and CAL? No but they were All on the road in hostile environments in which the cats lost. I agree the lapses are head scratching. I will take the easy way out and am happy that 2 teams have to come to McKale next week.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Our three losses in Pac play, all on the road:

Tied at the end of regulation
Tied with 3 seconds left
Tied with 18 seconds left

Our last four road games (only four left!):

UW (we beat them by 30 at home)
WSU (automatic win)
Colorado
Utah (at least a split with rado and tah)

We're in good shape to at least get a share of the title. If we had been able to win tonight at Cal I would've put us in very good shape to win the title outright.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Theres no panic here at all. I expected a split before the week started. Its just this team is clearly a superior team that makes things much harder than they need to be. We arent losing with off nights from the floor, or teams going crazy on us. We lose because we spot them numerous baskets on bonehead defense. On the surface you say, wow, he killed us tonight. But yea, u give a 45 pct three point shooter that many wide open looks, what di u expect. And it wasnt like they had killer ball movement or were working off an inside out game, it was just brain fart after brain fart. No, we arent a defensive juggernaut, but we dont need to be.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Frybry02 wrote:
Crazy shit happens and dumb shit happens...... Ristics stupid chin-up on the rim that he was lucky to not get tee'd up for....
Not sure about that.....looked like Ristic was going a bit too cautious BUT with all the injuries we've had and all the bodies crashing the boards hard this game, I can understand the pull-up to give additional time to the landing.......Am I wrong? Or was he really just screwing around?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Crazy shit happens and dumb shit happens...... Ristics stupid chin-up on the rim that he was lucky to not get tee'd up for....
Not sure about that.....looked like Ristic was going a bit too cautious BUT with all the injuries we've had and all the bodies crashing the boards hard this game, I can understand the pull-up to give additional time to the landing.......Am I wrong? Or was he really just screwing around?
No, he was hanging to avoid landing on the defender. Just shit luck the slam rattled around.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
No, he was hanging to avoid landing on the defender. Just shit luck the slam rattled around.
Thanks AND who else remember BAsh's injury 2 years ago at Haas?????!!!!! Be extra cautious Dusan! The last thing I want to see is another 'man down".....
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Tough loss, but not worried. All these teams who've beaten us have to visit McKale, and I don't expect to lose a game there this season.

And I'd bet big money UW isn't atop the standings two weeks from now.

Oregon, SC, and AZ...one of these three will win the Pac. Cal and UCLA are not good road teams, so for now, I put them a little beneath these other three. UW and Utah will finish somewhere in the middle.
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote:Tough loss, but not worried. All these teams who've beaten us have to visit McKale, and I don't expect to lose a game there this season.

Oregon, SC, and AZ...one of these three will win the Pac. Cal and UCLA are not good road teams, so for now, I put them a little beneath these other three. UW and Utah will finish somewhere in the middle.
Good points BeachCat97. We are lucky that we get all 3 of these teams at McKale soon so we can have our revenge! Damn lucky with this off-balanced scheduling we have now vs. the Pac-10 where we always had the road and home for each opponent. Really miss that!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Tough loss, but not worried. All these teams who've beaten us have to visit McKale, and I don't expect to lose a game there this season.

Good points BeachCat97. We are lucky that we get all 3 of these teams at McKale soon so we can have our revenge! Damn lucky with this off-balanced scheduling we have now vs. the Pac-10 where we always had the road and home for each opponent. Really miss that!
Agreed. Not a fan of the scheduling format. I want to play every team in our league twice during the regular season, every season.

Anyway, it's dismaying to see us blow another chance to get a big road win, and too many more of these blown chances are gonna cost us the Pac title. But we're not even halfway through the Pac schedule yet. The standings will look very different in 3 to 4 weeks, imo.

If Trier comes back at a 100%, I love our chances to win the Pac tourney and make a run in the dance.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
I think he clearly did a chin up. Went back and watched again. He pulled him self up
Bangkok Wildcat

Frybry02 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
I think he clearly did a chin up. Went back and watched again. He pulled him self up
Well, if he did then that's just about as stupid as York's childish tweet ;-). There's no reason to be doing chin-ups vs. holding on and looking beneath you.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

7 of the last 11 at home.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Frybry02 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Doesn't matter. If you're holding onto the rim while a shot is rattling around before going through, it's basket interference.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Frybry02 wrote:7 of the last 11 at home.
We'll win all 7 at home, and drop 2 of those 4 road games (@UW and @Utah).

Finish regular season at 25-6 (13-5).

Sorta feel like our game vs. OU on Thursday will decide the conference title.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Chicat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Doesn't matter. If you're holding onto the rim while a shot is rattling around before going through, it's basket interference.
I agree with you. This is one of the dumb things that happened. Instead of an and one opportunity he had to make both FTs. I also believe Dusan should have received a tech and was very lucky he didn't.
Last edited by Frybry02 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Beachcat97 wrote:

The @Wash game could be huge.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Frybry02 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
I agree with. This is one of the dumb things that happened. Instead of an and one opportunity he had to make both FTs. I also believe Dusan should have received a tech and was very lucky he didn't.
But if he lets go he lands on Cook(?) and busts his ankle and our injury curse continues. That's why he didn't get a tech.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Kinda think we win out in the regular season
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Frybry02 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

The @Wash game could be huge.
If we win our remaining home games and only lose two more on the road, I think we'll win the league. I don't trust UW or OU to finish better than 13-5.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Damn, thanks man. I'm heading straight to Vegas with this little gem!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
az91

Post by az91 »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Well, according to this, we lost the conference title tonight. Trier cannot return soon enough.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Things are never as bad as they seem, and they are never as good as they seem.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Have the feeling this loss is what catapults Oregon to the top. They come into Arizona and sweep, that alone is probably the difference maker, not to mention the confidence boost. Its gonna take us getting white hot and/or return the favor in Oregon for us to win the regular season conference title at this point I think. Oregons now 9-0 against RPI top 50. Damn good squad.
Bangkok Wildcat

rgdeuce wrote:Have the feeling this loss is what catapults Oregon to the top. They come into Arizona and sweep, that alone is probably the difference maker, not to mention the confidence boost. Its gonna take us getting white hot and/or return the favor in Oregon for us to win the regular season conference title at this point I think. Oregons now 9-0 against RPI top 50. Damn good squad.
Dude, we don't have an Oregon trip this year (thanks Larry Scott :-( )....that's what makes this loss extra devastating......I hope we meet them in the P12 Tourney though.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yikes thats right. Guess thats a good thing
Bangkok Wildcat

rgdeuce wrote:Yikes thats right. Guess thats a good thing
As much as I hate the unbalanced scheduling.....you're probably right rgdeuce. This team just isn't mentally tough enough to handle a trip @Oregon at this time.......sure hope they prove me wrong soon though...really thought they would have today but the game is 40 minutes, not 20 minutes. Smh
gumby

Post by gumby »

In conference play, Cats shooting 46 percent behind the arc. Give up 34 percent.

Wow. Big advantage for us.

Also tops in FG percentage, 51.7, and rebounding.

Meanwhile, last in steals and 11th in turnover margin. Need more possessions.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:In conference play, Cats shooting 46 percent behind the arc. Give up 34 percent.

Wow. Big advantage for us.

Also tops in FG percentage, 51.7, and rebounding.

Meanwhile, last in steals and 11th in turnover margin. Need more possessions.
Unforced turnovers have been a demon all year. Steals are not a huge pack line priority, but the to's, especially the self inflicted wounds, have been bad all year.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Unforced turnovers have been a demon all year. Steals are not a huge pack line priority, but the to's, especially the self inflicted wounds, have been bad all year.
You are right on about pack line and steals. I remember there being some concern for how TJ overplayed passing lanes and got steals at Duquesne, and whether it would be a fit. And early on, if I remember correctly, he got admonished for getting out of position...until the steals just kept happening, and CSM backed off the rigid pack line mentality. Then Stanley did some of the same last year. So we went from a team that never got breakout steals to a team that fed off them, especially at seemingly the right moment, the last couple of years. So I think it appears stark that we aren't getting those. But in order for the pack line to be effective you have to...ummm, pack the line. Until they show an ability to consistently defend out of the set we play, I don't think there will be a lot of tolerance for jumping passing lanes.

The steal game can be fool's gold. Wojo for Duke used to do that all the time, but people who paid attention would notice how often he was out of position and Duke was left playing 4 on 5 because he went for the home run. I use him as an example because I hated him so much, and Duke hate is generally a great meeting point for disparate minds, but there are plenty of others. The key is being able to guess right, be right a large majority of the time, and to be able to recover in time to not hurt the team if you miss. Having interchangeable players 1 through 3 helps there...if you overplay, you scramble back to the furthest from the attack and either the 2 or 3 can pick you up rather than having to scramble back to your man and try to stop the drive, or having a mismatched slow 3 on a point/driving 2. A pressure D looks sexy, gets lots of steals, and also generally struggles to rebound and gets caught overplaying for back door cuts or, God forbid, a team with a midrange game makes you look silly.

We really had a luxury the last few years having the ability to rebound well, still close the 3 even when out of position due to length, and have the discipline to know when to jump passes along with the trust that the defense could handle the 5 on 4 for a couple of seconds if you missed. This year, if we were to jump lanes, I fear we would give up 60% shooting. We might get a couple of breaks, and certainly if down or needing momentum, those are a good time to guess on one. But over the long haul, we are better off playing the line and getting better there.

That accounts for some of the turnover margin. Great rebounding margins are worth turnovers...if you are consistently getting +8 to +10 on the boards for being at home, that is worth giving up a couple on the turnover margin...just sliding stats into a different place. I'll take 3 or 4 stopped 2nd chances over 1 turnover. The other part of that number is our propensity to give the ball away and that is the biggest issue and just has to stop.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

To a certain extent, our bad to margin helps our rebounding margin look good. The defensive team gets most of the rebounds, so when we cough it up, the opponent loses a shot at a defensive rebound. If we have a bad to margin, they wind up losing more defensive rebounds than we do.

That said, we are a good rebounding team. Kaleb and Anderson are rocks in that department. We will miss those guys next year.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

just noticed that we don't have any more games on the pac-12 network until the conf tourney. all espn except for the SC game (fs1) and senior day on cbs network tv.

............................................................................. so is the week draggggging for anyone else? just me?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Does UA have anyone being treated at TMC? Was behind Book in the TMC cafeteria just now. Looked like he was buying food for several people or one VERY hungry person.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I would trade Tollefson for Pitts in heartbeat.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Frybry02 wrote:I would trade Tollefson for Pitts in heartbeat.
Sure hate to be known as the worst player on the court, but it was certainly Tolly.

So glad when Miller yanked him.

You can be pretty bad on defense, as long as you make it up on offense.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Think he needs to have his minutes cut down to 8-12 a game, at the most. Im guessing he gave up at least 16-18 points tonight. Thank God that three point play he gave up late didnt kill us in the end. His man went around him like he was wearing cinder blocks under his nikes. Matter fact he had another second half foul on a made bucket. Think he only had one point and one board too.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Merkin wrote:
Sure hate to be known as the worst player on the court, but it was certainly Tolly.

So glad when Miller yanked him.

You can be pretty bad on defense, as long as you make it up on offense.
Yep. Sadly we don't need Tollys offense. We just need someone that can make life a little difficult for perimeter players.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

it's a little sad to see simon tightened out of the rotation. i know he's still very raw and doesn't have tolly's length and experience, which i guess CSM appreciates, but the kid sorta reminds me of freshman year RHJ; and he's got the footspeed and athleticism fill a defensive need better than tolly.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:it's a little sad to see simon tightened out of the rotation. i know he's still very raw and doesn't have tolly's length and experience, which i guess CSM appreciates, but the kid sorta reminds me of freshman year RHJ; and he's got the footspeed and athleticism fill a defensive need better than tolly.
I was thinking the same. If it is between him and Tollefsen, I know who I think the better individual defender is.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

dirtbags wrote:it's a little sad to see simon tightened out of the rotation. i know he's still very raw and doesn't have tolly's length and experience, which i guess CSM appreciates, but the kid sorta reminds me of freshman year RHJ; and he's got the footspeed and athleticism fill a defensive need better than tolly.
Sorry dude but you couldn't be more wrong. He is nothing even resembling RHJ. Rondae was probably a better defender his junior year of high school than Simon is right now. They both have long arms. That's where the similarities stop. To even be comparing them is almost an insult to RHJ.

I am excited about Simon's future, but he isn't ready to contribute on a team trying to make a pac12 and ncaa run. At least tolly takes care of the ball and can make a 3
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Sorry dude but you couldn't be more wrong. He is nothing even resembling RHJ. Rondae was probably a better defender his junior year of high school than Simon is right now. They both have long arms. That's where the similarities stop. To even be comparing them is almost an insult to RHJ.

I am excited about Simon's future, but he isn't ready to contribute on a team trying to make a pac12 and ncaa run. At least tolly takes care of the ball and can make a 3
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... sen-1.html" target="_blank

Scroll down to advanced stats in conference. He is decent on offense as a guy who doesn't create, only finishes. Beyond O, those are some really atrocious stats, though.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... sen-1.html" target="_blank

Scroll down to advanced stats in conference. He is decent on offense as a guy who doesn't create, only finishes. Beyond O, those are some really atrocious stats, though.
thanks, @spiff and @dczonafan... a couple of quick thoughts -- if you also look at our non-cupcake games (regular conf games + kenpom 100 OOC oppponents [providence and gonzaga]), tolly's good for less than a made three and a fewer than 7 total pts per game -- and that's over a lot more minutes than justin simon gets off the bench.

anyway, the assertion is that we don't need tolly's offense as much as we need a better defender in his place. simon's got stiff competition for minutes whereas RHJ came in his freshman year filling the void left by solo and parrom. and though RJH may have been sharing time with AG (and nick or gabe), he was consistently logging a solid 20-25+ mins per game off the bench which helped him develop into an elite defender over the course of the season. but let's be fair about the comparison. though simon and RHJ both started their first year from a similar place with folks describing the two very similarly -- "quick but sometimes out of control", "impressive wingspan", "skilled defender, smothers shots and limts passes" -- one had more gametime opportunities to develop defensively than the other, which is why they'll both end up in different places, comparatively, at the end of their first year. not a knock on either guy, it's just circumstances.

but i'd still love to see simon out there if CSM's not getting the mileage out of tolly that he expects.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Most games, Tolly reminds me of the dude in the pickup game that doesnt do anything. His four friends can play, and they feel bad for him so they let him run w them just cuz hes their boy. When he gets the ball he immediately passes it to someone else. He has no clue where he needs to be on both ends. He just hovers around the three point line waiting for the time when no one is within 15 feet of him so he can get shot off an hopes it goes in. Just blend in, just be there, just dont do anything stupid to kill the team so it doesnt get to the point where they stop asking u to run. Thats him to me. He has flashes of offensive ability, but thats how he acts a lot of the time. I mean watch him, he will catch the ball in the corner, put up a nice pump fake, draw the defender to jump, slide to the side of him and have both an open lane or an opening to step through and pop a midrange J, and he will stop, let the defender recover, and then pass. Dudes a cold blooded killer within 10. Hes crafty and has good feet and does not miss. But he takes one of those shots every 4 or 5 games.

Problem is, he murders us on the defensive side. Everyone else has to pick up the slack and do double duty to cover his ass. And if he was a consistant offensive guy, it wouldnt be nearly as bad. But he has too many dreadful or average at best games, plus too many ho hum, and wheres he been all night games. I would rather see Simon in a small lineup w some offensive punch and running than tollefsen, against most teams. Tollefsens just a body out there on O way too much and on defense, pay close attention, a lot of nights where his men are responsible for 1/4 of the teams points and are freakishly efficient. People talk about his length, but really, there is no length when you are out of position all the damn time,and/ or are too late closing out on a shooter, or hes chasing them because hed let a turtle blow by him

If I have time tomorrow im gonna do a rundown of his game by game stats and compare to the strength of the opponent. My memory and gut tells me he has his best games against weaker teams and sucks the place up/hides against average to better, with some outlier performances.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

And yet he has the quietest 13 points in the history of this program against a good SC team tonight.

With Trier and Kadeem still not entirely 100 percent, this rotation needs Tolly, especially if Anderson gets in foul trouble.

Of course, I would also argue it needs Justin Simon, but this time around, he seems to be that one player every season we argue gets squeezed out of the rotation too early this time of year--only to not look ready come March.

Last year it was Pitts. With all the talent coming in next year, sure hope nobody else gets squeezed out and we have nine guys ready when called on.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Didnt find it quiet to be honest. This may have been his best game, big picture, think he had 9 at the break. And several big hustle plays. He was working hard tonight. Couple of lapses on defense, but I thought he played a hell of a game.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Why is Simon not getting any playing time?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Because he is a complete liability on offense at this stage. More so than RHJ or AG ever were.

I still love his potential but he's a 4 year player in a 2 year lotto body. Which could
Bode very well for us down the road if he stays patient.

Right now he would make this team incredibly easy to guard down low. He's just not ready for major conference basketball at this stage.

I do feel like Miller should get him in the game for end of half, end of game defense subs just to get his feet wet. But maybe Miller thinks the moment will get him all amped up and he'll commit a silly foul on a pump fake or jump shooter by leaving his feet.

Either way kid needs to work on a lot of skills this offseason, cuz the body and athletic ability are there.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Tolly had a huge first half. Well-done. York scored 36 points as a freshman. Simon's time will come. Comanche's, too. Just have better options at this point. Simon got PT when Trier was injured. That simple.
Right where I want to be.