Who's staying? Who's going?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by gumby »

Never understood adding height. Like the opponent is playing against the fictional version?

We need Rawle to either suck or say he's gone 100-0 gone.
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Jefe wrote:Max Vertical

Rawle - 40.5"
Kobi - 38.5"
Dillon Brooks 37.5"
Kadeem - 35.5"
Wow I did not expect that for Rawle at all.
He did jump over Miller.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona's Rawle Alkins shines at combine — and suddenly has a decision to make

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star May 11, 2017 Updated 9 hrs ago

Alkins also said he “loves it” in Tucson and is aiming to win a national championship with the Wildcats next season — “that’s the whole goal, that’s the only goal” — if he’s back.

But he says he doesn’t know if he’ll return. Alkins said he expects to work out for other teams after the combine, then consult with family before making a decision that he says will arrive at or near the May 24 deadline.

It’s 50-50, and depends on the feedback that I get,” Alkins said.

Maybe not until May 24.

“You know the University of Arizona. You know how amazing it is over there,” Alkins told the Star. “It’s a tough decision. Depending on my decision, it can impact a bunch of people. It can affect people all over Tucson, Arizona. It can impact certain recruits. It can affect coaches and it can definitely affect me.

“I want to make sure that depending on whatever decision I make, I’m 100 percent in.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... d7d4d.html" target="_blank

But he also said “I’m seriously considering coming back to school next year.”

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... asurements" target="_blank
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ChooChooCat wrote:
3goggles wrote:I don't know how to post it but on Instagram coachryansilver posted a mock draft which looked like draft express having chance going @ pick 47.
It was nbadraft.net, not draftexpress, so anotherwords it's pure garbage and nothing anybody should pay attention to. Comanche is very likely going undrafted.
Oh gotcha yeah that garbage
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Rawle picking up right where he left off before the finger injury. Seems like we are always playing the "what if" game when it comes to the tournament.
gumby wrote:Never understood adding height. Like the opponent is playing against the fictional version?
I always added an inch because something so subtle can be a big attention grabber for scouts/recruiting coaches, etc. It doesn't sound like much, but a 6'4" pitcher is going to jump out at a scout or coach before a 6'3 pitcher does. Same applies for basketball. A few other reasons why: 1) Your teammates are adding an inch and the guys who are an inch shorter than you are listed as the same height, so you go up to. 2) It's a way to add more to a male's alpha. Like guys who always add a half inch or inch to the size of their johnson, exaggerating height is next.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Never understood adding height. Like the opponent is playing against the fictional version?

At the doctor's earlier this week, I was 6'1 3/4 without shoes. I feel I'm still 6'3, if not 6'4.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'd rather be Charles Barkley dominating at power forward with an historic height disadvantage. And yet even he lied that he was taller.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Rawle and I are the exact same height sans shoes. He's got me on that vertical, though.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: At the doctor's earlier this week, I was 6'1 3/4 without shoes. I feel I'm still 6'3, if not 6'4.
I'm shrinking too if it makes you feel better. I was right at 6'3 without shoes when I was in college, now I am just around 6'2 1/4. I heard you can lose a half inch each decade once you hit 40.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: At the doctor's earlier this week, I was 6'1 3/4 without shoes. I feel I'm still 6'3, if not 6'4.
I'm shrinking too if it makes you feel better. I was right at 6'3 without shoes when I was in college, now I am just around 6'2 1/4. I heard you can lose a half inch each decade once you hit 40.
How else are we supposed to end up little old men? We wouldn't want to miss that.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

At the doctor's earlier this week, I was 6'1 3/4 without shoes. I feel I'm still 6'3, if not 6'4.

Lmao that's crazy u say that because I always said and thought I was 6'3 and I got a physical for the first time in years and they said I was 6'1 7/8. I was like fuck that noise. I'm 6'3. It's obviously erroneous and u shouldn't even be measured without shoes.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I will say Rawle comes off as an incredibly likeable and grounded kid w these quotes. Idk if it's genuine as Choo seems to think it's a foregone conclusion he's gone and he's just playing w our emotions, but if his quotes are real, he's absolutely going about this the right way and should use all the time he's given to make a decision.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TucsonClip wrote:Diallo with the 2nd best max vert in combine history and with a 6'11.5" wingspan. Holy shit.
They had to make a special ramp to make it higher.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I tell them I just got out of the pool. There was shrinkage!
rgdeuce wrote:Rawle picking up right where he left off before the finger injury. Seems like we are always playing the "what if" game when it comes to the tournament.
I always added an inch because something so subtle can be a big attention grabber for scouts/recruiting coaches, etc. It doesn't sound like much, but a 6'4" pitcher is going to jump out at a scout or coach before a 6'3 pitcher does. Same applies for basketball. A few other reasons why: 1) Your teammates are adding an inch and the guys who are an inch shorter than you are listed as the same height, so you go up to. 2) It's a way to add more to a male's alpha. Like guys who always add a half inch or inch to the size of their johnson, exaggerating height is next.
Just seems like you're setting up scouts and girls for disappointment. Not like they've never heard of people doing that.

"Gee, you're 6-5 and only get three rebounds a game?"

No! No! I'm really 6-2!"
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Both Kadeem and Kobi looked good from what I saw today. Kobi made some great passes and drives. Kadeem went hard all scrimmage

Was Rawle not in the combine today?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:Both Kadeem and Kobi looked good from what I saw today. Kobi made some great passes and drives. Kadeem went hard all scrimmage

Was Rawle not in the combine today?
His team played after the Kadeem/Kobi game.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gumby wrote: Just seems like you're setting up scouts and girls for disappointment. Not like they've never heard of people doing that.

No! No! I'm really 6-2!"
Lol until you are getting to a combine where they are anal, it doesnt matter. The 6'5" guy already won getting a scouts attention, once he falls in love he isnt going to be too upset when he finds out he exaggerated an inch
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

rgdeuce wrote:
gumby wrote: Just seems like you're setting up scouts and girls for disappointment. Not like they've never heard of people doing that.

No! No! I'm really 6-2!"
Lol until you are getting to a combine where they are anal, it doesnt matter. The 6'5" guy already won getting a scouts attention, once he falls in love he isnt going to be too upset when he finds out he exaggerated an inch
Is that what you tell the ladies?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Only your mother, and only because she seemed like the cavernous type.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

rgdeuce wrote:Only your mother, and only because she seemed like the cavernous type.
Really? On Mother's Day?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce, your account got hacked and somebody posted the equivalent of a monkey with a puppy falling off a freeway overpass on live television
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

whatisee wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Only your mother, and only because she seemed like the cavernous type.
Really? On Mother's Day?
I wish I could rep RG for dropping that on Mother's Day.

Maybe he posted it yesterday, and we're just hearing the echo because Enfuego's mom is in the room?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Rawle picking up right where he left off before the finger injury. Seems like we are always playing the "what if" game when it comes to the tournament.

Rawle Alkins to work out with Brooklyn Nets on Tuesday
by Jason Bartel May 14, 2017, 2:51pm PDT

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... ne-results" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wonder what Rawle needs to hear to stay in the draft? 1st round guarantee?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

whatisee wrote:
Really? On Mother's Day?
Timing is everything
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Wonder what Rawle needs to hear to stay in the draft? 1st round guarantee?
About 3.50?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Rawle update? Worked out for the Nets and then Toronto next

SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

Jefe wrote:Rawle update? Worked out for the Nets and then Toronto next

Know it's a highlight reel but damn, Rawle looked good.

Nice advertisement for Arizona basketball. Seems like he really refined parts of his game throughout the year. Best wishes to him if he goes, get that $$$.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Rawle's a heck of a player and will play in the NBA eventually. But this draft is deeper than any in recent memory, so while in normal years he'd probably be a solid late first rounder, this year he's 2nd round or undrafted.

Come back for one more season at AZ, Rawle. Then take your talents to the next level in the summer of '18.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I bet a lot of these guys want to be drafted late 1st or early 2nd round. It almost guarantees you going to a great team
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Jefe wrote:I bet a lot of these guys want to be drafted late 1st or early 2nd round. It almost guarantees you going to a great team
I get where you are going with late first, but don't follow early second...the order doesn't snake. Early 2nd is full of sucky teams.

I think players want the highest amount of money. The slot in the lottery vs 28 is pretty significant. And if you go to a good team, you might not play or be needed. If you want to be the reason a team is great, you really don't want to join the Cavs. If you want to be LeBron, you can't play with LeBron. Most of these guys don't think like we would...get on a good team, win titles...right out of college. They want the most money, the status of being picked high, and a team that needs them.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Early second round is very desirable from all standpoints, as agents can negotiate a salary, years, ect.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TucsonClip wrote:Early second round is very desirable from all standpoints, as agents can negotiate a salary, years, ect.
So the question is just whether Rawle and his family are okay with early 2nd round, with a chance (however slight) of not being drafted at all, given the fickle nature of draft day.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Beachcat97 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Early second round is very desirable from all standpoints, as agents can negotiate a salary, years, ect.
So the question is just whether Rawle and his family are okay with early 2nd round, with a chance (however slight) of not being drafted at all, given the fickle nature of draft day.
I dont have any info on this, but if I were part of his inner circle, I would want him to get in as many works with different teams as possible before 5/24. I would want to know what each team thinks and where they would consider him in the draft. Most importantly, I would want to know from teams who see him as a late second round pick, how many teams would require he sign a two-way contract.

From there you can lay out all your options. If a majority of the teams think you are two-way contract material, then...

A. Are we comfortable leaving UA to make anywhere from $50k - $250k next season?
B. What did scouts say he needs to improve to up his draft status? Would he be better off working on that in the G-League or UA?

Now, option B is pretty important. If teams are saying he probably isnt ready, thats completely different than saying we need to see him defend and work on his body, or we need the jumper to improve, ect. If he's two-way contract material, it doesnt matter if hes drafted or not. He can pick which team to sign with, assuming we are comfortable with option A. I have a feeling option A is making a few a bit hesitant, thus the delay on a decision.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Sorry for adding a new post to this thread without any info but the wait for Rawle to decide is killing me.....with our luck, he will end up leaving :-(......but if he pulls an unexpected Zo maneuver and return, I'll be ecstatic.

Hate, hate, hate the NBA for ruining college hoops......also apologies for posting this for the millionth time ;-). BTFD Team.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Rawle removed from Utah combine. Coming back?

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... line-bowen" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Some rumors going around that he's likely to come back now, but at the moment still hasn't told Arizona anything either way.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Good news, hope it is true!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Some rumors going around that he's likely to come back now, but at the moment still hasn't told Arizona anything either way.
Wow, thanks for that Choo Choo.....as 84 said, hope it happens!!!

Edit: Thanks Jefe for the update too!!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Some rumors going around that he's likely to come back now, but at the moment still hasn't told Arizona anything either way.
Well, fingers crossed, but as always, it's only final when it's final.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Jason Scheer said it's still 50/50 wether he comes back or not.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Was supposed to work out for Utah tomorrow but now he is not. Coincidence?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote:
That's better than what it was a week ago that's for sure.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
That's better than what it was a week ago that's for sure.
51/49 today? 8-)
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Get Rawle back and this team is preseason top 5.

Missing post depth (thanks Chance for this year) and obviously a high leve PG but other than that this team seems pretty stacked if Rawle comes back.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:Get Rawle back and this team is preseason top 5.

Missing post depth (thanks Chance for this year) and obviously a high leve PG but other than that this team seems pretty stacked if Rawle comes back.
I mean we have post depth, just a matter of how Pinder and Lee performs. PG a much larger concern to me than any other weakness.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Come on, Rawle! One more year!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I mean we have post depth, just a matter of how Pinder and Lee performs. PG a much larger concern to me than any other weakness.
Can I ask those who have a better idea, whether they think Lee can actually provide meaningful minutes his frosh year? Chance certainly didn't, so do we think Lee is further ahead in his development than Chance was coming into college?

It feels like our post depth is definitely lacking. Whether that ends up a major problem we won't know. I will say that having Rawle back would be huge as I believe he can be a difference maker for both offensive and defensive rebounding, something we will desperately need with Dusan playing so many minutes next year (fuck the last 7 words of that sentence depress me so very much).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Can I ask those who have a better idea, whether they think Lee can actually provide meaningful minutes his frosh year? Chance certainly didn't, so do we think Lee is further ahead in his development than Chance was coming into college?

It feels like our post depth is definitely lacking. Whether that ends up a major problem we won't know. I will say that having Rawle back would be huge as I believe he can be a difference maker for both offensive and defensive rebounding, something we will desperately need with Dusan playing so many minutes next year (fuck the last 7 words of that sentence depress me so very much).
Comanche rarely played hard and more importantly didn't listen much, especially his freshman year. Playing hard and listening aren't issues Lee has, so he certainly has a chance to make the rotation in the post.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Comanche rarely played hard and more importantly didn't listen much, especially his freshman year. Playing hard and listening aren't issues Lee has, so he certainly has a chance to make the rotation in the post.
I wouldn't question Comanche's effort, it's just that I don't think he knew what playing hard and really battling are all about. Some guys have it. Some don't. Certain players just have that motor and inner drive to battle more on position, possession, etc... A lot of that comes from playing against tough competition your whole life and trial by fire. My best guess is that Comanche was always the best player on the floor during his formative years because he played against inferior competition and really didn't have to battle against better players in practice or in games. Things came easy, up until the point he was hit smack in the face by college basketball and the reality that he needed a ton of work set in.

I thought over a four year career he had tremendous potential. In fact, I expected his college career to resemble that of Channing Frye's. But Comanche never got a taste for the dirty work required in college basketball. He needed to learn to embrace the grind and the one on one battles in the paint. If Comanche had the drive and determination of a guy like Pinder, he could've been an all-conference player during his career. I don't see his career leading to anything substantial in the professional ranks. If he couldn't distinguish himself in two years in college, I don't know why he expects better results against guys in the pros who will no doubt have more experience and more drive to succeed.