NYCat

Re: let's talk '17

Post by NYCat »

Probably a Arizona visit soon I would assume
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote: Probably a Arizona visit soon I would assume
From Virginia, his coach at Rice is now the head coach of VCU, if he gets out of there without a commitment I'd be surprised. We'll see...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Duval: Duke
McCoy: Oregon
Bowen: Arizona, Creighton
Baker: Kentucky

That's my guess as well. Don't see landing another recruit, unless Trier leaves, only transfer.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Does anyone here expect Trier back? Sorta thought it was a given that he'd be going pro after this season. What changed? Is he just not projected as a 1st rounder? Would a full junior season improve his status?

I'd rather have a junior Trier than a freshman Bowen.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Doesn't matter whether you're here every damn day or gone for a couple of months. You ask questions about things that have been discussed ad nauseam. Read the threads, if you are truly interested. That way you will be:

A. Informed.
B. Less annoying.

So, anyone heard anything about Romar coming here?
Right where I want to be.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Hopefully that eliminates Kentucky for Cameron Johnson.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There's been one west coast kid since Calipari took over that has had any sort of success at Kentucky. Good luck kid.

Hopefully this helps with Cam Johnson, as Kentucky seemed to be the primary competition.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote: Hopefully that eliminates Kentucky for Cameron Johnson.
Not sure it eliminates them bc Johnson seems like a 3/4 combo if he is playing a position other than 3, but it certainly can't hurt.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I didn't know Calipari took 4 star players.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Let’s talk about recruiting. We’ll go in alphabetical order- Arizona?

Arizona, it was a really good visit. They talk to me. They try to talk to me every day. The decision’s starting to get closer and closer.

What did you like about the Arizona visit?

The best thing about the visit I would say is the weather is just like amazing. It’s hard to not include that in your decision. It’s just that great.

They had some guys leave- does that help too?

Yeah, it does, definitely, getting guys out that are around my position or play my position.

------

Anytime the recruit only mentions the good weather I feel like thats a bad thing. Also said he doesn't care who's there and can play with anybody, even another PG. Like Mason did with Graham at Kansas and this year with potentially​ Graham, Duval, Newman.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

They try to talk to me every day.

They try, but I don't answer!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote: Let’s talk about recruiting. We’ll go in alphabetical order- Arizona?

Arizona, it was a really good visit. They talk to me. They try to talk to me every day. The decision’s starting to get closer and closer.

The best thing about the visit I would say is the weather is just like amazing. It’s hard to not include that in your decision. It’s just that great.

Yeah, it does, definitely, getting guys out that are around my position or play my position.

------

Anytime the recruit only mentions the good weather I feel like thats a bad thing. Also said he doesn't care who's there and can play with anybody, even another PG. Like Mason did with Graham at Kansas and this year with potentially​ Graham, Duval, Newman.
Yeah, if I was reading the tea leaves, I wouldn't read a ton into that interview, but it seemed like he was most effusive about Duke and KU. They had the most direct praise about the program and atmosphere.

It was always a longish shot. I feel like it still is.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We'll be okay without Duval. Just get Trier and Alkins back, get Cam Johnson, and someone to take CC's spot.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

NYCat wrote: Let’s talk about recruiting. We’ll go in alphabetical order- Arizona?

------

Last year Josh Jackson kept talking about his relationship with Sean Miller as what attracted him to Arizona. So I'll take the weather comment. None of these interviews mean anything whatsoever.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

Longhorned wrote:

------

Last year Josh Jackson kept talking about his relationship with Sean Miller as what attracted him to Arizona. So I'll take the weather comment. None of these interviews mean anything whatsoever.
I wouldn't read too much into this article... Why would Duval need anybody else to leave Arizona? You would think he would want to surround himself with play makers such as Trier and Alkins. Those guys would make his job as a PG a whole lot easier. Im pretty sure he was on record, at the McD's AA game, talking about playing with Trier.

Surely he isn't afraid of a PJC taking minutes away from him. If he's as good as everybody makes him out to be, he will come right in and be the starter.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He's going to Duke.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He isn't coming here
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm assuming Bowen means April of '17, but who knows?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:I'm assuming Bowen means April of '17, but who knows?
If he means April of '18, it's a bold strategy. If he means April of '16, I'm definitely interested to see how it plays out.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

:roll:
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
If he means April of '18, it's a bold strategy. If he means April of '16, I'm definitely interested to see how it plays out.
:lol:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'm not real big on Duval. Doesn't shoot well, doesn't pass well. He's super long and he gets to the rim and plays in transition. I'd be glad to have him but give me PJC as a steady senior leader who controls tempo, passes first, and can hit the outside shot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:I'm not real big on Duval. Doesn't shoot well, doesn't pass well. He's super long and he gets to the rim and plays in transition. I'd be glad to have him but give me PJC as a steady senior leader who controls tempo, passes first, and can hit the outside shot.
I would probably cut off a finger to have Duval next year. Shooting is his weakest asset, b7t he isn't a bad shooter, just not consistent. I disagree with his passing. He isn't a pass-first PG, but it's because he can really score.

He is on a whole different level than PJC.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

He's better than PJC for sure , but he's not on the level of ball, smith, or fox for that matter.

He's a bigger Josiah turner w his head on straight. Same kind of game. And that's not a knock on him, but I think people tend to act like he's transcendent just because of our pg issues lately. He's def a top 15 kid this year Though. Will prob go late lotto next year
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He's going to Duke. I don't think we're landing any HS kid to round out the 2017 class. This definitely looks like a transfer or two and done.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I don't see why we need another ball dominant guard on the team.

Edit: Just watched some of his tapes again. He looks like Derrick Rose. I was wrong - he can come on down.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:I don't see why we need another ball dominant guard on the team.
Because our other option is a guy who will never be more than adequate on D, always be someone you worry about consistency with and never really do more than be solid.

I'd rather try to rein in a lottery talent than have to continually worry that PJC's low ceiling derails our top level talent at other positions.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Good rundown of where we are at this point.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... aign=share" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Brandon McCoy: "I was going to make my decision today but I ended up changing it".

Mmmmmm......

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Brandon McCoy: "I was going to make my decision today but I ended up changing it".

Mmmmmm......

I still think Oregon or MSU.

Oregon's likely roster next year with him:

Pritchard
Elijah Brown
Troy Brown
Paul White
McCoy
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

The more I read/watch, the more I'm convinced that Arizona has a decent shot at landing McCoy.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm telling you, do not sleep on this kid.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: I'm telling you, do not sleep on this kid.
I'm pretty convinced that if Rawle returns, Randolph will likely be the only person other than Trier and Rawle rotating on the wing by season's end. Randolph is a real sleeper, and I don't see Smith beating him out when the minutes get really competitive.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The more I read about BR, the more it seems that he'll offset the loss of Kobi, maybe even more than offset it. He could be better as a freshman than Kobi was.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Beachcat97 wrote:The more I read about BR, the more it seems that he'll offset the loss of Kobi, maybe even more than offset it. He could be better as a freshman than Kobi was.

I think he absolutely will be. And much more consistent. Kid can flat out shoot and should be adequate on D. I like our perimeter rotation if rawle comes back. I just worry about interior depth without Comanche or someone else. Along w pg.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PennZona20 wrote: I just worry about interior depth without Comanche or someone else. Along w pg.
I mean, we've got DR, DA, KP, and IL for sure. An injury obviously impacts things, but I think we can be okay without CC. And if he does return, our interior is looking terrific.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Randolph > Kobi all damn day.

The lack of "it's all about me" ego is enough for me to make that pick.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Randolph > Kobi all damn day.

The lack of "it's all about me" ego is enough for me to make that pick.
Kobi is a better player, but I tend to agree that it is unlikely he is a better fit. Randolph is a good shooter and coexisted successfully with some other really talented guys in HS.
gumby

Post by gumby »

For the first 20 or so games, I wouldn't have characterized Kobi so harshly. He and Rawle did an admirable job under trying circumstances. We won't know how these other guys fit in for quite some time.

If they can match Kobi, Rawle and Lauri, that will be something. Overall, they were a mature group. All quite valuable.
Last edited by gumby on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Kobi is a better player
Disagree.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Kobi is a better player
Disagree.
Kobi is more physically talented and roughly equally skilled. Randolph is a better jump shooter, Kobi is a better slasher. I think Randolph's ability to fit within a system makes him a better option given the role we have. That said, in terms of individual ability, Kobi wins hands down, IMO.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Kobi is a better player
Disagree.
Kobi is more physically talented and roughly equally skilled. Randolph is a better jump shooter, Kobi is a better slasher. I think Randolph's ability to fit within a system makes him a better option given the role we have. That said, in terms of individual ability, Kobi wins hands down, IMO.
I agree with every thing you say, but while you think Randolph's ability to fit within a system makes him a better option for us, I think it makes him a better player and future pro overall. I also think he's effective enough as a slasher (not to Kobi's extend mind you) and is already such a superior shooter that he's a no brainer better pro. His basketball IQ is already much higher than Kobi's as well.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Kobi is a better player
Disagree.
I agree with every thing you say, but while you think Randolph's ability to fit within a system makes him a better option for us, I think it makes him a better player and future pro overall. I also think he's effective enough as a slasher (not to Kobi's extend mind you) and is already such a superior shooter that he's a no brainer better pro. His basketball IQ is already much higher than Kobi's as well.
I think we do basically agree. I think if you stuck Kobi and BR on a team to lead them right now, Kobi would be better. I think as a complementary player, Randolph will wind up being better. Kobi is more talented, but his issue is fitting his talent into a system that isn't built around him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Kobi is a better player
Disagree.
I think we do basically agree. I think if you stuck Kobi and BR on a team to lead them right now, Kobi would be better. I think as a complementary player, Randolph will wind up being better. Kobi is more talented, but his issue is fitting his talent into a system that isn't built around him.
I think Brandon Randolph's ceiling is much higher than complementary player though, that's where we differ.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I said in this thread after watching him against Hillcrest that Randolph should be a five star. There were three top five players in that game and Brandon sure looked like he belonged with them.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RaisingArizona wrote:I said in this thread after watching him against Hillcrest that Randolph should be a five star. There were three top five players in that game and Brandon sure looked like he belonged with them.
As you know, 4 stars reflects his general placement with respect to his ranking on the list of recruits in his class. Those rankings are comparative projections of professional upside, not a comparison of how good they are now or will be in college. So the scouts who ranked him lower than you would are likely in agreement with you.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona Wildcats signee Brandon Randolph named MVP in Jordan Brand Classic Regional Game

Brandon Randolph apparently wasn’t good enough to play in the Jordan Brand Classic National Game, so he went ahead and tore up the Regional Game.

The Arizona Wildcats’ signee scored a game-high 32 points on 16-26 shooting and had nine rebounds and two assists, earning MVP honors for the Regional Red team, which beat the Regional Blue 170-162 on Friday in Brooklyn.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... -roster-tv" target="_blank

Ayton, Randolph shine in Jordan Brand games

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Apr 15, 2017 Updated 6 hrs ago

In different Jordan Brand Classic games Friday at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, Arizona signees DeAndre Ayton and Brandon Randolph made their mark.

Ayton had 19 points and eight rebounds (seven on the offensive end) in the West's 124-116 win over the East in the national game. Earlier in the "regional" game, Randolph had 32 points and nine rebounds in 20 minutes.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 1b592.html" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

HiCat wrote:Arizona Wildcats signee Brandon Randolph named MVP in Jordan Brand Classic Regional Game

Brandon Randolph apparently wasn’t good enough to play in the Jordan Brand Classic National Game, so he went ahead and tore up the Regional Game.

The Arizona Wildcats’ signee scored a game-high 32 points on 16-26 shooting and had nine rebounds and two assists, earning MVP honors for the Regional Red team, which beat the Regional Blue 170-162 on Friday in Brooklyn.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... -roster-tv" target="_blank

Ayton, Randolph shine in Jordan Brand games

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Apr 15, 2017 Updated 6 hrs ago

In different Jordan Brand Classic games Friday at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, Arizona signees DeAndre Ayton and Brandon Randolph made their mark.

Ayton had 19 points and eight rebounds (seven on the offensive end) in the West's 124-116 win over the East in the national game. Earlier in the "regional" game, Randolph had 32 points and nine rebounds in 20 minutes.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 1b592.html" target="_blank
Cool. I do appreciate these linked posts, HiCat.