lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: lets talk '16

Post by ChooChooCat »

He didn't give a time, he just said today. With that said all signs point to SMU.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:He didn't give a time, he just said today. With that said all signs point to SMU.
Remember, in Australia, today is like 5 days from now.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:He didn't give a time, he just said today. With that said all signs point to SMU.
Remember, in Australia, today is like 5 days from now.
In Soviet Australia college picks you!
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

AdamFinkelstein Adam Finkelstein
MacDuffie head coach Jacques Rivera confirms Arizona has offered Jordy Tshimanga. First reported by @PhilKasiecki
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yep, Froling is definitely SMU bound if we're offering 3 star centers in the same class.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Our efforts to land a backup (3rd string?) center are a little dull.

I need a JJ and/or Alkins update. Sorta thinking the Alkins buzz was much ado.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
I need a JJ and/or Alkins update. Sorta thinking the Alkins buzz was much ado.
There are none. It's the end of January, neither are deciding for quite some time.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The only thing I do not like is that the PAC is statistically #1 or #2 in most categories and is very, very deep and we are beating each other up but the pollsters do not seem to recognize any of that You would think we would have 4 or 5 teams in the top 25 yet we have 1.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azcat49 wrote:The only thing I do not like is that the PAC is statistically #1 or #2 in most categories and is very, very deep and we are beating each other up but the pollsters do not seem to recognize any of that You would think we would have 4 or 5 teams in the top 25 yet we have 1.
fair comment -- as an update, i think the Pac 12 has two teams ranked in this weeks AP Top 25 in #18Arizona and #23Oregon
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jordy Tishimanga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uqUpDPnmu0" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Good update on UA recruiting

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... en-simmons" target="_blank
az91

Post by az91 »

Froling to SMU. No surprise. Maybe Larry Brown will quit or be banned by the time Froling gets there?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

az91 wrote:Froling to SMU. No surprise. Maybe Larry Brown will quit or be banned by the time Froling gets there?
More power to him I guess. I will take chance over him personally
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

az91 wrote:Froling to SMU. No surprise. Maybe Larry Brown will quit or be banned by the time Froling gets there?
Good luck to Froling. The great white whale still swims free.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hope it works out for the kid. Best of luck
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Good luck to the big guy.

Next up?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm not really sure how broken up we should be that Froling went elsewhere.

LM
KS
JJ
RA
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Good luck to the big guy.

Next up?
I can think of a recruit who would be dynamite.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

On to JJ and a grad transfer.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUHATER! wrote:On to JJ and a grad transfer.
Probably need another recruit after Ray retires.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I'm not really sure how broken up we should be that Froling went elsewhere.
He would have provided Matt Korcheck type depth his first couple of seasons and then contributed as an upperclassmen. We'll be just fine.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I'm not really sure how broken up we should be that Froling went elsewhere.
He would have provided Matt Korcheck type depth his first couple of seasons and then contributed as an upperclassmen. We'll be just fine.
With all due respect to Korcheck, I can't remember him ever getting even near 10 minutes in a single game.

LM
KS
JJ
RA
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
With all due respect to Korcheck, I can't remember him ever getting even near 10 minutes in a single game.

LM
KS
JJ
RA
I'm more insinuating that Froling wouldn't have played much at all his first season or two here at Arizona, hence the Korcheck type depth he would've provided.

I don't think there's a world where Arizona can land both JJ and RA either fwiw.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
The Tshimanga kid posted above would fill a similar role as a developmental post prospect not expected to produce early. There's only one really big recruit that matters.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
I don't think there's a world where Arizona can land both JJ and RA either fwiw.
Did anyone think Cal would get Rabb and Brown a year ago at this time?

Frankly, I agree with you. I don't think we'll get both, and JJ is the more important player, obviously. But the trend with these elite players is to cluster together at en elite program, so why not AZ?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Did anyone think Cal would get Rabb and Brown a year ago at this time?

Frankly, I agree with you. I don't think we'll get both, and JJ is the more important player, obviously. But the trend with these elite players is to cluster together at en elite program, so why not AZ?
Who did Cal have to take playing time away from Rabb & Brown? We are in a totally different situation with the talent that we have on our roster than Cal was then or ever will be in the future.

It's only a trend to cluster together elite players at Kentucky. Elite level players typically don't like competing against elite level players at the same position anywhere else in the nation.

Either way Alkins is reportedly favoring St. John's or NC State, so he obviously doesn't subscribe to what you're arguing. JJ or bust.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Puerco wrote:
Great point. Especially since no one knows what kinda shape Smith will be in or how much he'll be able to contribute or if he'll be able to play. A+ post

dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Who did Cal have to take playing time away from Rabb & Brown? We are in a totally different situation with the talent that we have on our roster than Cal was then or ever will be in the future.

It's only a trend to cluster together elite players at Kentucky. Elite level players typically don't like competing against elite level players at the same position anywhere else in the nation.

Either way Alkins is reportedly favoring St. John's or NC State, so he obviously doesn't subscribe to what you're arguing. JJ or bust.
I mean obviously it's more likely RA goes to one of the schools that has recruited him the longest. BUT what if he's a kid that aspires to win a national championship? We can't claim to know enough about what the kid wants to understand what motivates him in choosing a college.

What if he thinks that the #1 skill he needs to learn to make it in the NBA is tough man to man defense? What if it's both those factors? Do you think he still wants to go play for St. John's or NC State? Also, if you're judging your "he is reportedly favoring" on something like the crystal balls at 247, CSM has shown he doesn't give a flying fuck what those say or else Kobi would be playing somewhere else next year, not the U of A.

No need to completely dismiss the idea that RA comes here. Sure, it's best to not get your hopes up, but when CSM is involved and the kid hasn't committed somewhere we have a chance and considering it would be the ultimate cherry on top I'd say that's a pretty great spot to be in
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Puerco wrote:
Great point. Especially since no one knows what kinda shape Smith will be in or how much he'll be able to contribute or if he'll be able to play. A+ post
I thought Ray Smith died last week? I'll need a link to something that shows him alive, preferably time stamped for today at 1:44 pm ET, or else I'll continue operating under the mindset that we have an extra schollie available
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I mean obviously it's more likely RA goes to one of the schools that has recruited him the longest. BUT what if he's a kid that aspires to win a national championship? We can't claim to know enough about what the kid wants to understand what motivates him in choosing a college.

What if he thinks that the #1 skill he needs to learn to make it in the NBA is tough man to man defense? What if it's both those factors? Do you think he still wants to go play for St. John's or NC State? Also, if you're judging your "he is reportedly favoring" on something like the crystal balls at 247, CSM has shown he doesn't give a flying fuck what those say or else Kobi would be playing somewhere else next year, not the U of A.

No need to completely dismiss the idea that RA comes here. Sure, it's best to not get your hopes up, but when CSM is involved and the kid hasn't committed somewhere we have a chance and considering it would be the ultimate cherry on top I'd say that's a pretty great spot to be in
Good post, dc. I've stopped underestimating Miller's ability to get guys to AZ. Rabb was disappointing, but he's a NoCal guy, so there was always a chance he'd stay home and attend Berkeley, which you can't blame him for.

I think where these other programs have the edge for landing RA is, as CC has pointed out, that NC State and St. John's have immediate PT to offer, whereas at AZ he'd be competing against Trier, Simmons, Simon, and others.

I don't know how tight Simmons and Alkins are and wonder if that could be a factor as well. These guys love to play with their friends, a la Okafor and Jones, Oden and Conley, etc.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'm not dismissing the idea, but when Alkins says Simmons couldn't steal his shine, Trier and Simon as sophmores could definitely steal his shine. There is a lot more shine for the taking at other schools at the 2-3 than Arizona, especially if JJ comes here. Alkins could easily wind up being our 5th best wing option in that scenario.

I tend to believe Alkins is more about what happens if JJ does not come here.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Puerco wrote:
I thought Ray Smith died last week? I'll need a link to something that shows him alive, preferably time stamped for today at 1:44 pm ET, or else I'll continue operating under the mindset that we have an extra schollie available
https://youtu.be/1aQJedIVTX4" target="_blank

It's a link to a live feed of Ray playing basketball...oh no, OH NOOOOOO!!!!!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

grad transfers are a good stop-gap measure, but unless there's a "perfect fit" type guy out there, i don't think we need to bring in a grad big just for a season. would rather see the minutes next season go towards chance, lauri, etc.'s development, along with a korchek-type guy for support, as choochoo mentioned.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well Korcheck was a transfer. And if there's a suitable one out there I'd much rather have and experienced senior transfer than a raw like 2/3 star freshman.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm loving the look of our '16 frontcourt: DR, LM, CC, JJ, RS...these latter two are more "wings," I suppose, but they could also guard opponents' forwards.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I tend to believe Alkins is more about what happens if JJ does not come here.
Nailed it. You guys can fantasize all you want, but this is more than likely the reality of the situation.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well Korcheck was a transfer. And if there's a suitable one out there I'd much rather have and experienced senior transfer than a raw like 2/3 star freshman.
He was a JUCO transfer that was a part of the program for 3 years, he was not a grad transfer or anything. I don't see what's wrong with having a 3 star freshman with upside to develop, as opposed to a guy with only 2 years of playing to be a body i.e. what Korcheck was. There's arguments for both sides, but I always take the higher ceiling option if you actually have an option and more often than not it's the guy who will be in your program for 4-5 years. Arizona has done well with 3 star guys in the past plenty of times.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dirtbags wrote:
grad transfers are a good stop-gap measure, but unless there's a "perfect fit" type guy out there, i don't think we need to bring in a grad big just for a season. would rather see the minutes next season go towards chance, lauri, etc.'s development, along with a korchek-type guy for support, as choochoo mentioned.
Bingo.

I get wanting another guy to fill in in worst case scenario, but as it stands now between Dusan, Lauri, and Comanche that's 3 guys who can play the 5. If Arizona lands Jackson then that's Jackson, Lauri, and Ray Smith (unless of course Dr. Hater's 1 in a million chance diagnosis is correct ) to man the 4. Grab a Korcheck or young guy with a body who has potential for support and go on with your day.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: I tend to believe Alkins is more about what happens if JJ does not come here.
Nailed it. You guys can fantasize all you want, but this is more than likely the reality of the situation.
Well, RA isn't exactly a bad consolation prize, is he?

But I do think JJ will be an AZ Wildcat, so here's wishing RA all the success that life at NC State can bring.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

LMAO, I'm just going to STFU now.

I nailed the Kobi SImmons call, I might as well nail this one right? :lol:

I still doubt both RA and JJ end up here together in the end though.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Well, RA isn't exactly a bad consolation prize, is he?

But I do think JJ will be an AZ Wildcat, so here's wishing RA all the success that life at NC State can bring.
Compared to JJ? Just by being not JJ, it would be an unfortunate consolation prize.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Don't know how I feel about that
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: LMAO, I'm just going to STFU now.

Wow. Wait, so does an unofficial visit mean he's paying with own money?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Yes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Yes.
Well, then it sure as hell does sound like he's interested. I mean, if his choices are NC State, St. John's, and AZ, which of these strikes you as the most appealing? Is it even close?

Starting to think this could happen.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Yes.
Well, then it sure as hell does sound like he's interested. I mean, if his choices are NC State, St. John's, and AZ, which of these strikes you as the most appealing? Is it even close?

Green grass, NYC or the desert? All seem pretty appealing if you are a college student.

However, if your primary desire is to make the NBA, then there are no other choices.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Yes.

Green grass, NYC or the desert? All seem pretty appealing if you are a college student.

However, if your primary desire is to make the NBA, then there are no other choices.
You're right, Merk. They all have their own appeal.

But from a strictly basketball standpoint, I don't think there's any comparison. AZ hoops provides an experience and opportunity that few other programs can match.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Yes.
Free vaca on $tate$ dime ;)

Getting interesting. Not sure what to think.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Getting interesting. Not sure what to think.
Just for fun:

KA/PJC/KS
AT/RA/JS
JJ
RS/LM
DR/CC

Are you freaking kidding me?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I'm of the mindset that a class of JJ/Kobi/RA simply cannot exist.

You figure Smith returning and there's some serious talent. Problem is, outside of Kentucky, who hasn't won when stacking talent like this yet, no team has had this many 6-4-6-8 players with that level of talent at once. Even if a lineup exists where KS/RA/JJ/RS all play 20+ together, I have to think it's one talent too many.

So, my thinking includes questions of what does this mean for JJ?

I'm already assuming this means Trier is gone. No way in hell outside of an All-Star game he plus those four are ever on the same team at same time.

Talent is good, but too much is bad.

Look at what Booker is doing for the Suns right now. You telling me it was best he be a role player for Kentucky last year rather than a star? Kid should have played 30 minutes and got 15 shots a night.