lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: lets talk '16

Post by ASUHATER! »

....in basketball?

They are the #3-4 team this year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

cpt wrote:Wilner says Oregon is team to beat in Pac 12. Douche.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... r-2015-16/
:lol:

I wonder if Mr. Wilner wants to put his money where his mouth is?

With all these horrible takes out therre I'm going to need to take a look at Arizona's odds to win the PAC next time I'm in Vegas. With both Cal and Oregon supposedly winning the PAC I wonder if I can get like four to one...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Everyone piling on the cal and Oregon bandwagon. Wonder if anyone thinks we'll even finish in the top 4 of the conference or go to the tournament now..

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The Pac feels much more wide open next season. It's hard to predict 1st thru 3rd. Would be surprised, though, if it isn't some combination of AZ, Cal, and Oregon.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Beachcat97 wrote:The Pac feels much more wide open next season. It's hard to predict 1st thru 3rd. Would be surprised, though, if it isn't some combination of AZ, Cal, and Oregon.
:lol:

So you're buying into it? Ok then.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So we received another prediction for JJ on 247sports today. Lets keep the ball rolling with this kid!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Fultz was offered by Kentucky yesterday. Sheer was on 1290 on Wed talking about some 4* possible 5* star euro big that CSM was looking at. Does anybody know anything about him?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Good run down on who the Cats are pursuing:

http://arizona.247sports.com/Article/Ju ... r-38131817
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3goggles wrote:Fultz was offered by Kentucky yesterday. Sheer was on 1290 on Wed talking about some 4* possible 5* star euro big that CSM was looking at. Does anybody know anything about him?
http://www.scout.com/player/8396166n-la ... anen?s=106

That's him, his old man used to play for Roy Williams at Kansas and his current coach used to play at Utah under Rick Majerus, so my completely uneducated guess is that UNC and Utah are probably ahead of us on this one. I guess he intends to visit us and the other two schools though, so who knows.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hopefully Kyle Fogg stopped by to say hi at push Arizona. He was MVP of the Finnish league a year ago.

Better get a more manly nickname though.

Lore.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Tatum to Duke.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Probably going to get Giles as well. Super team

Josh Jackson
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Main Event wrote:Probably going to get Giles as well. Super team

Josh Jackson
K is giving Calipari a run for his money. Actually, given last season's outcome, maybe it's the other way around.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

enfuego wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
97? Any chance?
Late to the game? Simmons visited Kansas this past season. Can't remember if it was for Late Night or a game.

Josh Jackson is your best bet, but is also a priority for Kansas. The guys who cover Kansas recruiting suggest he's a legit prospect to play a year overseas before entering the draft.
Not coming here, still funny though
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Josh Jackson
K is giving Calipari a run for his money. Actually, given last season's outcome, maybe it's the other way around.
K's recruiting has just gone through the roof lately. Starting with landing Parker, he's been recruiting at a level that he's never (with the exception of the late 90's superteam that lost to Uconn) been at before. There was a definite lull, but he's come back in a big way.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Josh Jackson
K's recruiting has just gone through the roof lately. Starting with landing Parker, he's been recruiting at a level that he's never (with the exception of the late 90's superteam that lost to Uconn) been at before. There was a definite lull, but he's come back in a big way.
I think being the Head Coach for Team USA plays a big role in this. When "K" retires I hope CSM lands that gig!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Why the sad devil emojis?

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

3 star, 192nd ranked player in his class? Am I missing something?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:3 star, 192nd ranked player in his class? Am I missing something?
I had the same reaction, although if we're offering a wing in 16, he needs to be a developmental prospect. It's unlikely we have any one and dones, so right now we have senior Pitts and Allen, sophs Smith, Trier and Simon at those spots.

There isn't much PT on the wing in 16, so if this is happening, I'd figure it as a long term project.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I had the same reaction, although if we're offering a wing in 16, he needs to be a developmental prospect. It's unlikely we have any one and dones, so right now we have senior Pitts and Allen, sophs Smith, Trier and Simon at those spots.

There isn't much PT on the wing in 16, so if this is happening, I'd figure it as a long term project.
How many "long term projects" have materialized for us with good outcomes over the past few years? Sorta seems like the current state of the game is that you need guys who are going to make an impact in their first or second year. This doesn't include transfers, of course, like TJ and RA.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

How many "long term projects" have materialized for us with good outcomes over the past few years? Sorta seems like the current state of the game is that you need guys who are going to make an impact in their first or second year. This doesn't include transfers, of course, like TJ and RA.
Pitts, Ristic and York would be three stories of projects with some success (I believe Dusan will be good in an Arizona uniform, although it is early for final judgment).

The best case is a balance. Even championship teams with some one and dones (Duke, KY) had veterans who made key contributions.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Pitts, Ristic and York were all four-star recruits, if not higher in some services, though. And we don't know how many more years we're going to get out of Elliott or Dusan.

Perhaps Miller sees a better Kyle Fogg in this guy and is using Lute's approach to try and light a fire under some higher-rated guard recruits still on the fence.

Perhaps I am reading too much into that.

Perhaps Andrew Jones should tell his story first. :)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:Pitts, Ristic and York were all four-star recruits, if not higher in some services, though. And we don't know how many more years we're going to get out of Elliott or Dusan.

Perhaps Miller sees a better Kyle Fogg in this guy and is using Lute's approach to try and light a fire under some higher-rated guard recruits still on the fence.

I watched a highlight film on Youtube. Kid looks athletic but with a funky looking J and a little out of control at times. He looks like you'd expect a 4 year project to look. Raw, but with some tools.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

So kind of like Garland Judkins?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Pitts, Ristic and York would be three stories of projects with some success (I believe Dusan will be good in an Arizona uniform, although it is early for final judgment).

The best case is a balance. Even championship teams with some one and dones (Duke, KY) had veterans who made key contributions.
Pitts, Ristic, and York played as freshmen. I can't remember the last time a 3-star logged minutes as a freshman. Maybe Fogg.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

York only got garbage time minutes as a freshman. Pitts got garbage time only until Ashley went down and we were really shorthanded. Ristic was the only one who was really a rotation player, but even then, Miller clearly limited or eliminated his role in the most important games.

A developmental/project player doesn't mean zero time either. Angelo Chol was a project, and he got some floor time.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Pitts, Ristic, and York played as freshmen. I can't remember the last time a 3-star logged minutes as a freshman. Maybe Fogg.
Derrick Williams? :D

Edit: looks like D Will, Momo and Parrom were 3 stars in either rivals or scout. You also have Jordin Mayes (3 stars in both)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He hasn't been properly evaluated. Anthony Davis was a 3 star entering his senior year of HS play until he popped onto the AAU scene and dominated every one. This kid was very very good the entire EYBL (averaged 18ppg). He won't be a 3 star/192nd ranked player after updates to rankings and he's not any more of a project than our current 5* guard Justin Simon.

Rankings fluctuate guys. 3 star players don't play like he did and they certainly don't garner a bunch of offers mid-summer for no reason either. Markelle Fultz played Junior Varsity a year before he became a 5 star player. Players develop and get better at different rates than other guys.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Pitts, Ristic and York were all four-star recruits, if not higher in some services, though. And we don't know how many more years we're going to get out of Elliott or Dusan.

I watched a highlight film on Youtube. Kid looks athletic but with a funky looking J and a little out of control at times. He looks like you'd expect a 4 year project to look. Raw, but with some tools.
So he looked like Justin Simon, but with a funky looking J that actually goes in? ;)

Honestly the only funky thing about his J is he doesn't go straight up when he shoots it, he seems to always jump forwards. The more straight up he goes the better that jumper will be. Derrick Williams had the same problem his frosh year and by his sophomore year when that problem was addressed he was hitting at a ridiculous clip.

Also I'm pretty sure I watched the same youtube clip, he was pretty much under control every time he took the ball to the hoop. I'm not sure what you saw that I missed. I'll take your youtube evaluation skills over mine though.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

WHAT is the Reality that we land at least 1 of :
Kobi Simmons
Ferguson
Josh Jackson

Are these all shots in the dark right now with low probability?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

So he looked like Justin Simon, but with a funky looking J that actually goes in? ;)

Honestly the only funky thing about his J is he doesn't go straight up when he shoots it, he seems to always jump forwards. The more straight up he goes the better that jumper will be. Derrick Williams had the same problem his frosh year and by his sophomore year when that problem was addressed he was hitting at a ridiculous clip.

Also I'm pretty sure I watched the same youtube clip, he was pretty much under control every time he took the ball to the hoop. I'm not sure what you saw that I missed. I'll take your youtube evaluation skills over mine though.
Here's the one I watched.

6'4 Andrew Jones highlight (ranked 13 in the stat…: http://youtu.be/p_VtqTZHX3Q

It's a youtube highlight film, so I think the obvious caveat is that it's hard to tell anything based off that. That said, in the first play, the baseline dunk, the helpside defender reaches and runs past. In college, that guy is there faster and set to take a charge. He goes hard to the rim, but on several plays, a faster, smarter help defender could just slide in and pick up the charge.

I'm not sold on his release. He doesn't appear to have much flick of the wrist. If you watch to the 3 he accidentally banks in, the release without a flick will give those sort of issues in control. He does have the jumping forward issue. It's not death, but a need to clean that up is one reason I'd see him as a prospect, not an instant contributor.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I think alot of us are commit envy. Its been almost a calendar year since CSM landed his last commitment. It seems like Puke, Kentucky and Cal have landed 100 recruits. We pretty much had the 2015 class locked up the the start of Football season last year. Obviously we lost out on Rabb and few others that we were long shots for. So it just feels worse then it really is. The problem with going after players like Rabb and JJ is that they take it to the last moment to commit.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

3goggles wrote:I think alot of us are commit envy. Its been almost a calendar year since CSM landed his last commitment. It seems like Puke, Kentucky and Cal have landed 100 recruits. We pretty much had the 2015 class locked up the the start of Football season last year. Obviously we lost out on Rabb and few others that we were long shots for. So it just feels worse then it really is. The problem with going after players like Rabb and JJ is that they take it to the last moment to commit.
I agree with this. When you actually stop and think about our roster situation, it is quite good.

Ristic and Leaf at the 4-5 with at least a soph Comanche as backup. Smith, Trier, Pitts, Allen and Simon on the wing, then PJC/Simon at the point. 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 4 sophs and a freshman.

That's if we land no one else and no one leaves.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
3goggles wrote:I think alot of us are commit envy. Its been almost a calendar year since CSM landed his last commitment. It seems like Puke, Kentucky and Cal have landed 100 recruits. We pretty much had the 2015 class locked up the the start of Football season last year. Obviously we lost out on Rabb and few others that we were long shots for. So it just feels worse then it really is. The problem with going after players like Rabb and JJ is that they take it to the last moment to commit.
I agree with this. When you actually stop and think about our roster situation, it is quite good.

Ristic and Leaf at the 4-5 with at least a soph Comanche as backup. Smith, Trier, Pitts, Allen and Simon on the wing, then PJC/Simon at the point. 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 4 sophs and a freshman.

Thats what I am saying CSM has done an amazing job of keeping talent on this team. I personaly think outside of JJ we are good at SG for the 2016 class. I think we need some wings and bigs for the 2016 class
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

3goggles wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Thats what I am saying CSM has done an amazing job of keeping talent on this team. I personaly think outside of JJ we are good at SG for the 2016 class. I think we need some wings and bigs for the 2016 class
I'd go a step further, if we land JJ, he, Smith and Simon can all play the 3 if needed. Then, if no one leaves or really disappoints, really I think all we need is a big guy who can provide bench depth.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Remember when Coach K was headed into the twilight of his career after the 2011 beat-down? Good times.
Right where I want to be.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

^^the good ole goazcats days lol
luteformayor2 wrote:WHAT is the Reality that we land at least 1 of :
Kobi Simmons
Ferguson
Josh Jackson

Josh Jackson is a very realistic possibility wouldn't get too excited about the other 2
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gumby wrote:Remember when Coach K was headed into the twilight of his career after the 2011 beat-down? Good times.
Yes, we remember. But I'm not sure anyone really thought that, did they? This guy's track record coupled with his spot as Team USA coach make it virtually inevitable that his Duke program will remain strong. He's arguably the biggest celebrity in men's hoops, and when he or someone wearing Duke gear enters the gym, you can imagine the effect it has on these star recruits.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:^^the good ole goazcats days lol
Kobi Simmons
Ferguson
Josh Jackson

Josh Jackson is a very realistic possibility wouldn't get too excited about the other 2
If this truly was the GoAzCats days, there would be a certain poster here to tell us we were getting all three plus Tatum, Rabb and at least two top ten prospects to be named later.

I remember discussing whether K was on the decline with Winger (I think) as recently as after the 2013-14 season. One year can change a lot. He's almost created a second life from Parker, Hood, Okafor, Winslow, Jones etc. as Kentucky with a little less blatant edge of being a factory.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

In about 2011 I thought K would retire by 2013 and had lost it.

enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Kobi Simmons
Ferguson
Josh Jackson

Simmons will be at Kentucky.
Ferguson will be at Kansas.
Jackson will play overseas for a year and if he does go to college, then it will be KU.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

enfuego wrote:
Kobi Simmons
Ferguson
Josh Jackson

Jackson will play overseas for a year and if he does go to college, then it will be KU.
You're really doing the whole going on phog saying one thing and coming on here saying another bit again fuegs :lol:
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=24 ... 890335&p=2
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Shocking...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

And he wonders why we call him a troll.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Kobi Simmons
Ferguson
Josh Jackson

If this truly was the GoAzCats days, there would be a certain poster here to tell us we were getting all three plus Tatum, Rabb and at least two top ten prospects to be named later.

I remember discussing whether K was on the decline with Winger (I think) as recently as after the 2013-14 season. One year can change a lot. He's almost created a second life from Parker, Hood, Okafor, Winslow, Jones etc. as Kentucky with a little less blatant edge of being a factory.
Yeah it was Winger, he made a thread after we beat them in the garden basically giving the Duke program eulogy. Now we're over here talking about them winning another natty next year with a loaded team and K just picking whoever he wants
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Main Event wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Kobi Simmons
Ferguson
Josh Jackson

You're really doing the whole going on phog saying one thing and coming on here saying another bit again fuegs :lol:
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=24 ... 890335&p=2
That was my prediction over a month ago. Things change son.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Does attaching "son" to any post constitute a legitimate putdown in your troll world, fuegs?

To be fair, I was giving K his last rites after the '11 beatdown and still believe this last championship will be it for him.

He has considerable back-channel influence in college basketball, which helps explain that ridiculously easy South Region bracket Duke walked through in March.

When K can't pull any more strings or, more likely sooner, p*sses off a powerful enough person, he'll be lucky to get a better sendoff than Joe Paterno. Yes, sorry, but I think the man is far more corrupt than most realize.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Kobi Simmons
Ferguson
Josh Jackson

Yeah it was Winger, he made a thread after we beat them in the garden basically giving the Duke program eulogy. Now we're over here talking about them winning another natty next year with a loaded team and K just picking whoever he wants
As a Duke hater, it's always embarrassing to give K credit, but there's been a noticeable shift in his recruiting recently. He's lost the idea of 3-4 year guys and embraced guys who are looking to have a prep school audition year for the NBA.

That has always been a strong suit for K. He has never been a particularly rigid system coach and has been open to adaptation and change. Making an adjustment to the one and done era is another step in that.
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:Does attaching "son" to any post constitute a legitimate putdown in your troll world, fuegs?

To be fair, I was giving K his last rites after the '11 beatdown and still believe this last championship will be it for him.

He has considerable back-channel influence in college basketball, which helps explain that ridiculously easy South Region bracket Duke walked through in March.

When K can't pull any more strings or, more likely sooner, p*sses off a powerful enough person, he'll be lucky to get a better sendoff than Joe Paterno. Yes, sorry, but I think the man is far more corrupt than most realize.
Come on. Duke beat Wisconsin twice. Respect. Corruption? What? A Joe Pa sendoff? Really?
Right where I want to be.