Sweet 16 Xavier discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Sweet 16 Xavier discussion thread

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:So Chris Mack had a post game quote about the world seeing that they were the tougher team:

"Regardless of the outcome, regardless of the score, the only thing I wanted was people from California all the way to Florida to watch our game...and at the end of the game to say that we were the tougher team. I told our guys in the locker room, I don't know if they'd say that, but I also know that they wouldn't say Arizona was the tougher team."

Hey Chris, you are flying back to Cincinnati...as a loser. Be tough when you cry thinking about that.

X was definitely tough, but the thug play of Reynolds sure put a damper on that.
I gained a lot of respect for every X player but Reynolds. You know the offensive linemen that dive into people's knees in piles after the whistle? Reynolds had a minimum of 3 blatant dead ball shots that were cheap.

Guys like Stainbrook played great, tough games, but hitting people after the whistle is a ***** move and Reynolds did that all night.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Am I the only one who thought the refs tried to hand X the game with ticky tack fouls or phantom fouls called on us throughout the game?

3 of the fouls called on Zeus were basically phantom calls. As always Zeus plays D with his hands straight up and his body in good guarding position. The first of those phantom calls was an elbow that Stain threw into his chest, and then Stain traveled and this somehow lead to a foul on Zeus. The third phantom call on Zeus was their guard sprawling onto the ground throwing the ball away, again with Zeus in good position.

If I were a betting man I would be pissed that the refs gave almost the whole spread to X with unwarranted free throws.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The only really bad call on Zeus was when Stainbrook fell, and for some reason Zeus was called for that foul which was his 4th. Saw nothing remotely indicating a foul on anyone.

A couple of other foul calls on Zeus was when he left his feet guarding Stanbrook. Foul or not, that's not a good defensive move when the guy you are covering only has a 6" vertical. Probably better no calls, and yes, Stainbrook did hook Zeus a couple times with no call.

First 30 minutes seemed fine, the last 10 minutes seemed like the refs were trying to give Stainbrook and the rest of X a breather at Arizona's expense. Seemed many more fouls then, along with going to the monitor 3 times (2 out of bounds, and the flagrant on Reynolds).
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:zip em up, zip em up, put em in the bag.

Chris Mack Thug ball.
Finally play a team with Miller-like toughness and ... thug ball! From whom do you suppose Mack learned how to instill toughness?
Nastiness is required.
Parrom-approved.
Right where I want to be.
Oilfield Cat

Post by Oilfield Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:So Chris Mack had a post game quote about the world seeing that they were the tougher team:

"Regardless of the outcome, regardless of the score, the only thing I wanted was people from California all the way to Florida to watch our game...and at the end of the game to say that we were the tougher team. I told our guys in the locker room, I don't know if they'd say that, but I also know that they wouldn't say Arizona was the tougher team."

Hey Chris, you are flying back to Cincinnati...as a loser. Be tough when you cry thinking about that.

X was definitely tough, but the thug play of Reynolds sure put a damper on that.
I gained a lot of respect for every X player but Reynolds. You know the offensive linemen that dive into people's knees in piles after the whistle? Reynolds had a minimum of 3 blatant dead ball shots that were cheap.

Guys like Stainbrook played great, tough games, but hitting people after the whistle is a ***** move and Reynolds did that all night.
I was going to write a chippy comment about a female at XU, that got punched on Monday night, probably agrees with your assessment - however upon evaluating it - I decided to just tell you it was what I was thinking...