Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EOCT

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by EOCT »

Scouts have to be starting to notice Zo has picked up his defensive game sharply.

Dude has been all over his assignments the last few games, both on ball and off. His guys are starting to go crazy moving without the ball.

How about that running sky block in the second half?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

His D has improved in a short time more than anyone I can recall.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

rgdeuce wrote:His D has improved in a short time more than anyone I can recall.
It's his work ethic, IMO. Lots of people are okay with taking a few extra shots to improve their offensive game. It takes a lot of conditioning and drive to improve on the defensive side of the ball.

Of course, if he doesn't play defense, he sits on the bench, so that's pretty good motivation right there! :D
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

AT keeps getting better and better. Another nice game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:AT keeps getting better and better. Another nice game.
Very quietly too. I didn't notice him too much, but he put up the numbers.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CSM yanked him after he fouled Justice on the 3 point shot, but put him right back in. Played much better defense then.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:CSM yanked him after he fouled Justice on the 3 point shot, but put him right back in. Played much better defense then.
Miller is pretty good at getting their attention.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Freshman AA
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

rgdeuce wrote:Freshman AA
So when do we start getting nervous.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Im already at that point, but we should be used to it by now. I think hes been a first round lock for a couple weeks, the last five or six games you can argue him with the nation's best offensively. Its up to him now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Already pretty sure he's not back next year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

U guys are going off stats. All the major mocks and insiders like Chad Ford who have major NBA connections don't even have him in too 30 of prospects. There are about 10 internationals coming in this year who are real high prospects. About 4 guys w Porzingis size and athletic ability.

He's coming back next year. He will get a 2nd round grade and come back. He's not weak minded like Grant Jerrett. He knows he wants to stick in the NBA and to ensure that he needs to be a 1st half of 1st round pick. He's not going to be that this year. I don't care if he averages 20/game from here on out (which he won't). Trier is my favorite kind of recruit, ability to be dominant as a frosh out of the gate but not a 1 and done.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

hebwill be a more valuable frosh than Stanley was , and it's not close though .... And I loved me some Stanimal. Probably slightly more valuable than Gordon when it's all said and done , although that could be argued either way cuz of everything Gordon did. However, contributions to Arizona basketball does not equal a high draft pick, just look at TJMC.

Enjoy the kid, we r gonna have him for a few years. And he will go down as one of the better players we have had.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:U guys are going off stats. All the major mocks and insiders like Chad Ford who have major NBA connections don't even have him in too 30 of prospects. There are about 10 internationals coming in this year who are real high prospects. About 4 guys w Porzingis size and athletic ability.

He's coming back next year. He will get a 2nd round grade and come back. He's not weak minded like Grant Jerrett. He knows he wants to stick in the NBA and to ensure that he needs to be a 1st half of 1st round pick. He's not going to be that this year. I don't care if he averages 20/game from here on out (which he won't). Trier is my favorite kind of recruit, ability to be dominant as a frosh out of the gate but not a 1 and done.
He's 33rd in the 2017 draft on draftexpress right now. Aaron and Stanley were high because of their measurables, then their stats. The NBA draft is about a player's potential 10x more than college production. Trier's measurables are not lottery like SJ/AG's.

I think he'll keep rising, but he has a ways to go to make first round this year. I'm more optimistic for his future in that I think if he was close to 20 ppg at high efficiency the rest of the way, he gets a look in the 1st this year.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Already pretty sure he's not back next year.
based on what exactly?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

His play.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Helluva college basketball player. I'll enjoy that and leave the rest to worrywarts.
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm guessing that after the season most NBA scouts will suggest he come back to school to work on his ball handling, passing, and overall strength.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:His play.
There's a reason Nick Johnson was an all american and didn't get drafted until the mid second round.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PennZona20 wrote:U guys are going off stats. All the major mocks and insiders like Chad Ford who have major NBA connections don't even have him in too 30 of prospects. There are about 10 internationals coming in this year who are real high prospects. About 4 guys w Porzingis size and athletic ability.

Lol, no, I am not going off his stats, although they are hard to ignore. He can shoot, probably out to NBA 3 range in a year, already has two NBA-level dribble-drive moves and he reads multiple layers of defenders better than just about any young player you will see, a lauded work ethic, and is incredibly efficient. Offense comes easy to him, it's never forced. I can see a perennial playoff team drafting in that 22-30 range who need or want offense from the bench who have a year or two to be patient taking him. He is at the bottom range of where you want a shooting guard to be in terms of height, he isn't explosive athletically and he doesn't have a super high ceiling. Those are things that will keep him out of the lottery.

The Suns took Devin Booker with the 13th pick in last year's draft, which was considered a tremendously deep draft. Booker gets the Klay Thompson comp (though in year two, Klay had a much more complete offensive game and skill set) and was considered to be a guy who will become a knockdown guy from deep. He shot 41% from 3 at Kentucky. I believe Trier is around 34% right now, but that number was crippled by a slow shooting start, he is trending up big time from 3, 11-24 last 5 games (46%), and that is what I am looking at. I'm also looking projecting his ceiling this season. I wont put him in the same category as Booker there, but Trier has a WAY more complete offensive game than Booker. Neither are explosive athletes, but Booker is going to have to be a 3 first guy and use defenders having to close out/guard him close to get by them. Trier can use the 3 to his advantage, but he already possesses the moves to get a step on his man without it, plus he is an elite finisher and will get to the line, or can use his very nice pullup midrange game. Booker's got what, 2 inches wingspan and height on Trier? Don't see either as top level defenders in the NBA but will be adequate. When I see Trier, I think James Harden "Lite" offense off an NBA bench, and that is certainly worthy of a late first round pick and should get some NBA scouts telling him he projects in the late first round. Like I said, up to him. If he is content with that, then he may go.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

If he sneaks into 1st round projections this year that means he, and Arizona , had a huge March. So I hope that's the case.

Having said that, he doesn't seem like a kid who will settle for being the 25-30th pick. He seems like a kid who wants to not only stick but show out in the NBA, and I think he will. And I think his fam knows the easiest way to get that type of opportunity is to be drafted somewhat towards the lotto in the first. He's never going to be a top 10 pick cuz every year there are 5 frosh like JJ that come in and just have so much more potential, along w 3 or so international guys. But he can def turn into an Isaiah Thomas - type player who gets 15ppg (I know they aren't the same type of players but could be same type contributors).

I think there are much more pros than cons in staying for someone of his status. Especially when u consider the stage Arizona may be on next year if all goes according to plan.

Then again Ashley and Jarrett and nick left early off of great chemistry teams so u never know and it doesn't seem like we ever have good luck here. Id be willing to bet $100 right now that he stays though. And I expect him to keep improving as well.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Not disagreeing with you on some of this stuff. I think he's far removed from being a lottery pick and he may never be one regardless of how long he stays, and it is in his best interest to stay to further solidify himself in the first round. I agree there are more pros than cons. But he seems like an incredibly ambitious kid who knows what he wants, and this generation, if it's in reach with guaranteed money, even from a late first round pick, most go. He may hit his freshman wall, but I don't think this is going to happen with him this year based on the way he is trending, how he has improved incrementally each week, and how easy and effortless offense comes for him. Anderson grits and grinds and labors and quietly puts up double figures. You look up to the scoreboard and say holy shit, he has 16? Trier just glides, you look up at the scoreboard and it's another 20 point game. He is averaging 18 a game over the last six. 108 points on 59 shots (33 makes), shooting 56% (46% 3pfg). That is unreal, and we both know those 18 per game EASILY could be 24 or 25 with maybe a slight dip in efficiency. I dont think we need a deep run for him to go in the late first round either.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I want the ball in Trier's hands as much as possible.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote:I'm guessing that after the season most NBA scouts will suggest he come back to school to work on his ball handling, passing, and overall strength.
Big one, IMO. Not so much because I think he'll become a PG at the next level, but because improved playmaking skills will warrant a higher draft slot and expand his overall game.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

TucsonClip wrote:
Chicat wrote:I'm guessing that after the season most NBA scouts will suggest he come back to school to work on his ball handling, passing, and overall strength.
Big one, IMO. Not so much because I think he'll become a PG at the next level, but because improved playmaking skills will warrant a higher draft slot and expand his overall game.

Hopefully CSM and get Coach Kerr to weigh in and encourage him to return. Like he has with Rabb and Brown.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

baycat93 wrote:Like he has with Rabb and Brown.
deetz? Curious as to who/what you're referring to
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
It would help him a lot to be regarded as a legit option as a combo guard. I think most still see him as a SG. If he can turn himself into a real combo, I can see a lot more teams ready to bite.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chad Ford really doesn't have major NBA connections. I'm not quite sure why he has the job he has, but he's barely better at this than nbadraft.net.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Chad Ford really doesn't have major NBA connections. I'm not quite sure why he has the job he has, but he's barely better at this than nbadraft.net.
Ford has a lot of connections, the problem is when he tries to mix what he's hearing from scouts and GMs with his own personal thoughts and takes. He takes info from so many people that a lot of it is conflicting, which leads to him going back and editing his "big boards" after the drafts.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Anyone else see him shaking his hand and grimacing in the OTs? I hope he's okay. On those free throws he didn't look right. I believe his hand is injured. No idea what the extent is. We cannot afford to lose this guy (obviously).
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

billk78 wrote:Anyone else see him shaking his hand and grimacing in the OTs? I hope he's okay. On those free throws he didn't look right. I believe his hand is injured. No idea what the extent is. We cannot afford to lose this guy (obviously).
Yeah, I did.....hoping it's not serious but this year God's been kicking us in the nuts injury-wise so who the heck knows :-(
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Yeah, saw him grimacing shaking his hand after shot at the FT line. (maybe made a face after a shot before he got to the line too) Missed the one of the ft shots because of it? What's the injury?

The kid's a gamer. ;)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:Yeah, saw him grimacing shaking his hand after shot at the FT line. (maybe made a face after a shot before he got to the line too) Missed the one of the ft shots because of it? What's the injury?

The kid's a gamer. ;)
His hand is broken. :(
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Unreal. The basketball gods hate this team
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Chicat wrote:
HiCat wrote:Yeah, saw him grimacing shaking his hand after shot at the FT line. (maybe made a face after a shot before he got to the line too) Missed the one of the ft shots because of it? What's the injury?

The kid's a gamer. ;)
His hand is broken. :(
I said in the game thread that I hoped his hand wasn't broken. Had seen it long before the free throws. Think I saw it happen on a three pointer he made (no foul called of course). Had a sinking feeling it was, based on how obviously bad it hurt and how long it stayed that way without numbing/adrenalin etc.. it caused him to miss those free throws for sure.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Guess we know why he missed missed those two free throws now.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah this may be a NIT season after all. Unreal the bad luck this athletic department is having with injuries.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cats still going to the NCAA tourney, but the ceiling might be Sweet 16 even with Trier back.

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. :(
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Cats still going to the NCAA tourney, but the ceiling might be Sweet 16 even with Trier back.

We really don't have anybody to make up for what Trier does for us. It's certainly not on that bench.

I guess the silver lining in all this is more development PT for Simon.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wow this news really sucks. That had to be the worst weekend ever
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Cats still going to the NCAA tourney, but the ceiling might be Sweet 16 even with Trier back.

We really don't have anybody to make up for what Trier does for us. It's certainly not on that bench.

I guess the silver lining in all this is more development PT for Simon.
Yeah. He needs to step up. . .ideally to the point he can earn the nickname of "Miles".
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Seriously what the hell with these injuries in football and basketball this year? Fucking sucks.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

i blame ASSU
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Damn! This is un f'cning believeable!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ouch, that really sucks. so who will step up on offense?

trying to be optimistic, i guess the good news is that 'zo is not done for the season and will be back in 4-6 weeks. also, the injury shouldn't limit his participation in conditioning workouts too much, so there shouldn't be much dropoff; and the fourth metacarpal probably won't affect his shot mechanics. hoping for a speedy recovery. bear down.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Unbelievable.......really, this year's rash of injuries is friggin' unbelievable......this loss is going to cost us a few games IMHO. I just can't believe this year.........
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

25 pts, 6 rebs, 4 asts, 2 stls impressive nos

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400841592" target="_blank