Pathway to the 2016 Pac 12 title

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Pathway to the 2016 Pac 12 title

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:. I think its amazing we are the only team in the conference w a winning conference road record.
This fact does not bode well for the Pac in the tourney. Historically, road record has been a reliable indicator of tourney success.

I wonder if USC or OR can get to the S-16.
I'm less worried about it this year. This is a classic example of a league that has a lot of good teams but no great teams. There are no gimmes on the road for anyone this year. Frankly, that is better for tourney development than running roughshod over a bunch of tomato cans on the road.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beach, Oregon can make a final four with right matchups/a little help. Their defense could get them bounced early, but on a night where their offense is clicking that may not matter. USC, Cal (their away from Haas play tells us otherwise, but can never count out that talent and they CAN play D when they want to), and Utah are also good enough to make their way to the elite 8. Its all about matchups and/or having your video game night at the right time.

I dont think any of those are safe bets, but it would not surprise me at all if it happened either. Good and very good teams can be excellent on a give night. And our conference has some big nonconference wins this year, so we have shown we got teams who can take down anyone. And this virtually no breaks conference season will have teams ready mentally for the tourney grind
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

As I posted in another thread, to me this stretch is about beating the teams we should beat. Not so much being laser-focused on certain games. Let the other teams do that.

Our focus starts with defending home court. If we can sweep those three games and split the Colo/Utah roadie, I think that just might be enough to win this conference this year.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Can it be March already....
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

26-5 14-4
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I honestly have not watched Utah or Colorado this season, so no idea what problems they present (aside from Utah's big man, of course).

I don't think we're losing to ASU, and I think we're going to beat Cal and Stanford at our place.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: I don't think we're losing to ASU,
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Beachcat97 wrote:I honestly have not watched Utah or Colorado this season, so no idea what problems they present (aside from Utah's big man, of course).

I don't think we're losing to ASU, and I think we're going to beat Cal and Stanford at our place.
i think lav called the mountain school series "the toughest road trip in the conference" last night. my guess would've been the oregon schools as the toughest trip, but 'tah and 'rado have definitely been flying a little bit under the radar with so much of the attention on Arizona, oregon, and usc this season. i wouldn't bet on either to win the reg conf, but both are right there in the mix..
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

The game @ Utah is huge. I think if we win that game we will win out and it could propel us to a 2 seed should we manage to win the tourney as well.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We want to win that one we better feed the post over and over and over and get Poeltl (preferably) or Kuzma in foul trouble.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Newportcat wrote:Can it be March already....
Been 28 games you don't care about, plus five more to go. Sucks for you.
Right where I want to be.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Actually doesn't suck, I am in the best mood I have been in ever during college basketball season as I used to get so pissed off at each of our losses and so fired up about all our regular season wins. I normally would have been devastated when we lost two heartbreakers in LA and then would have texted a ton of my UCLA and USC friends when we beat them this past weekend and so fired up. Now, see zero need. Does not matter to me at all. Those games help us to get a higher seed which is good but outside of that I could care less we beat two teams I used to hate. UCLA and USC are not stopping us from making a final four so why even get that upset with them anymore.

Unfortunately College Basketball is only relevant for 4 weeks now, if the NCAA wasn't making so much money from the tournament they would be looking at ways to fix that
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Seriously. Anyone who isn't enjoying this season is a spoiled fan that I want no part of. It's been quite the ride this year. I'm amazed and proud of the job CSM has done with this team, yet not at all surprised. Here are some of my "Through-26-games" highlights:
1) Zeus becoming a man after the injury
2) PJC coming back from the dead after we had all (including myself) written him off
3) Ryan Anderson (nothing more needs to be said)
4) The fight through adversity with so many injuries, big and small
5) We actually make 3 pointers!
6) Watching Deuce in the post
7) Zo attacking
8) The end of game fight we showed @UCLA and USC
9) The Gonzaga comeback (felt so big at the time, overall just ended up being a confidence builder which is important in and of itself)
10) Gabe's clutch 3's
11) Kadeem's left handed drives to the hole
12) Tolly attacking the offensive glass with one handed put backs
13) An outside chance at a 2 seed (!?!?!) a year after losing 4 starters, 3 to the NBA

SEAN MILLER IS A WITCH... but he's OUR witch and it feels damn good

P.s. My post was playing off of Gumby, and complaining about the dude above me
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This has been a fun season thus far. The last few, it was almost like playing a video game and putting the difficulty on easy. Sure it's fun to dominate and beat the piss out of everyone, but victories are much more satisfying when you have to sweat them out. And you know what is crazy? At this point last year, we had only suffered two less losses than this team (and this year's conference is way better), and two years ago, we had three less losses but came off a stinger of a loss at ASU (and went on to lose two more conference games thereafter, again, conference not as good).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:This has been a fun season thus far. The last few, it was almost like playing a video game and putting the difficulty on easy. Sure it's fun to dominate and beat the piss out of everyone, but victories are much more satisfying when you have to sweat them out. And you know what is crazy? At this point last year, we had only suffered two less losses than this team (and this year's conference is way better), and two years ago, we had three less losses but came off a stinger of a loss at ASU (and went on to lose two more conference games thereafter, again, conference not as good).
This. I enjoy wins more this year because I don't assume them like I did the last two years. The last two years, I felt like every loss was just us not playing well, and even a lot of the wins, I would get grouchy if we didn't handle a team as easily as we should.

This year, we are less dominant and the conference is good. Our wins, our fight for the Pac 12 title, it all means that much more because there is no guarantee.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

You guys can hate on me all you want, I get why fans of Arizona Basketball who would post on an Arizona message board do not agree with me.

If I lived in Tucson and can attend games lives, I would probably feel differently. But I don't so at this point, especially given the past couple years under Miller, I really do not care about the regular season outside of making sure we make the tourney, and working to get as high a side as possible.

How Miller has done coaching this team will be solely determined in the tournament. If we lose in the first round you might be calling Miller and the players a name that rhymes with "Witch".

That is my point, we lose in the first round you can flush the entire season down the drain.

Its not like we can fight for a bye or home court games in the tourney game like other sports. Hell, I almost want a lower seed so we DON'T play in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 at the Honda Center. Ship us out East or to the Midwest.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Newportcat wrote:You guys can hate on me all you want, I get why fans of Arizona Basketball who would post on an Arizona message board do not agree with me.

If I lived in Tucson and can attend games lives, I would probably feel differently. But I don't so at this point, especially given the past couple years under Miller, I really do not care about the regular season outside of making sure we make the tourney, and working to get as high a side as possible.

How Miller has done coaching this team will be solely determined in the tournament. If we lose in the first round you might be calling Miller and the players a name that rhymes with "Witch".

That is my point, we lose in the first round you can flush the entire season down the drain.

Its not like we can fight for a bye or home court games in the tourney game like other sports. Hell, I almost want a lower seed so we DON'T play in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 at the Honda Center. Ship us out East or to the Midwest.
Don't know why you insist on speaking for others when they clearly disagree. Relevance is in the eye of the beholder. And you're one jaded dude.
gumby

Post by gumby »

dcZONAfan wrote:Seriously. Anyone who isn't enjoying this season is a spoiled fan that I want no part of. It's been quite the ride this year. I'm amazed and proud of the job CSM has done with this team, yet not at all surprised. Here are some of my "Through-26-games" highlights:
2) PJC coming back from the dead after we had all (including myself) written him off
7) Zo attacking
9) The Gonzaga comeback (felt so big at the time, overall just ended up being a confidence builder which is important in and of itself)
10) Gabe's clutch 3's
13) An outside chance at a 2 seed (!?!?!) a year after losing 4 starters, 3 to the NBA

Enjoyed this. Good summation of irrelevance.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Newportcat wrote:You guys can hate on me all you want, I get why fans of Arizona Basketball who would post on an Arizona message board do not agree with me.

Look, I kind of understand deprioritizing the regular season. With our tourney issues, I care more about March than the season.

What I fail to understand is the flush the season mentality. Only one team wins their last game in the tourney. Short of that, the only accomplishment that gets me excited is a FF. Statistically, those are not the norm for any program. Yet we still get moments and players that matter.

An enjoyable season with a rough end is just that. If you can only count the season when the team wins out in the tourney, you will miss a lot of special moments for Arizona basketball. In the last two years alone, we got to watch:

-Smackdown of Duke in MSG.
-Aaron Gordon's dunk removing Colorado's soul.
-Blowing Zaga out of the building in the tourney.
-Taking the title in Hawaii.
-TJ's goodbye kiss to McKale.
-Beating the Ducks down to take the Pac tourney.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:Seriously. Anyone who isn't enjoying this season is a spoiled fan that I want no part of. It's been quite the ride this year. I'm amazed and proud of the job CSM has done with this team, yet not at all surprised. Here are some of my "Through-26-games" highlights:
7) Zo attacking
10) Gabe's clutch 3's

You forgot making Bobby Hurley throw the temper tantrum of the year.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Newportcat wrote:If I lived in Tucson and can attend games lives, I would probably feel differently. But I don't so at this point, especially given the past couple years under Miller, I really do not care about the regular season outside of making sure we make the tourney, and working to get as high a side as possible.
Do you even basketball?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Newport,being blunt, you sound like a spoiled f--king fan. Being blunt again, you come across as a fairweather fan who needs a final four so you can validate your team to others around you. I mean, as an Arizona fan, you have it made. Every damn year you have a team that wins 20 plus, wins the conference or is among the top teams, and fields a super competitive team that has a better CHANCE than most teams to reach a final four or win a national title in the wild crapshoot that is known as the NCAA tournament. You have a coach who every year puts together classes thats make pretty much anyone except Kentucky jealous. Almost every year we are putting one, two, even three guys in the NBA and further solidifying this program as a brand where the best high school players want to play. All that, every year, when almost every school has a rebuilding year, a rough patch where they miss the tournament, where they get their crap pushed in while waiting for the young guys to improve. Almost every year, u get to cheer your team on another week in the sweet 16 and elite 8 while the other 300 some schools fans watch on TV and hope for exciting upsets. You get to be a part of one of the most special fanbases in college sports, that fills up our own house night in and night out, and the remainder of pretty much every venue we play at away from Tucson.

So no, a first round loss this year doesn't mean jack shit other than we will get em next year. this year's team is special to myself and many other Arizona fans. One because its Arizona and two, its a special season with a patchwork team of transfers and young kids in a year filled with complete shit luck who have gone out and kept the tradition of excellence alive when many thought they wouldn't. And the two four-year seniors, who stuck around all four years when most of their peers left early (no knock on them, the right thing for almost all of them) for the league or transferred because they didnt get the minutes they wanted. Those guys both took a shit ton of heat over their careers here, but I couldnt be any more prouder of both of them. A first round loss doesn't do shit to take away anything from those two.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

rgdeuce wrote:Being blunt, you sound like a spoiled f--king fan. Being blunt again, you come across as a fairweather fan who needs a final four so you can validate your team to others around you. I mean, as an Arizona fan, you have it made. Every damn year you have a team that wins 20 plus, wins the conference or is among the top teams, and fields a super competitive team that has a better CHANCE than most teams to reach a final four or win a national title in the wild crapshoot that is known as the NCAA tournament. You have a coach who every year puts together classes thats make pretty much anyone except Kentucky jealous. Almost every year we are putting one, two, even three guys in the NBA and further solidifying this program as a brand where the best high school players want to play. All that, every year, when almost every school has a rebuilding year, a rough patch where they miss the tournament, where they get their crap pushed in while waiting for the young guys to improve. Almost every year, u get to cheer your team on another week in the sweet 16 and elite 8 while the other 300 some schools fans watch on TV and hope for exciting upsets. You get to be a part of one of the most special fanbases in college sports, that fills up our own house night in and night out, and the remainder of pretty much every venue we play at away from Tucson.

So no, a first round loss this year doesn't mean jack shit other than we will get em next year. this year's team is special to myself and many other Arizona fans. One because its Arizona and two, its a special season with a patchwork team of transfers and young kids in a year filled with complete shit luck who have gone out and kept the tradition of excellence alive when many thought they wouldn't. And the two four-year seniors, who stuck around all four years when most of their peers left early (no knock on them, the right thing for almost all of them) for the league or transferred because they didnt get the minutes they wanted. Those guys both took a shit ton of heat over their careers here, but I couldnt be any more prouder of both of them. A first round loss doesn't do shit to take away anything from those two.
Perfectly expressed.

Do you think Newportcat is embarrassed that he is less of a fan than someone who didn't even attend U of A and has never even been to Tucson (myself)? Probably not, but maybe that's the problem.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

rgdeuce wrote:Newport,being blunt, you sound like a spoiled f--king fan. Being blunt again, you come across as a fairweather fan who needs a final four so you can validate your team to others around you. I mean, as an Arizona fan, you have it made. Every damn year you have a team that wins 20 plus, wins the conference or is among the top teams, and fields a super competitive team that has a better CHANCE than most teams to reach a final four or win a national title in the wild crapshoot that is known as the NCAA tournament. You have a coach who every year puts together classes thats make pretty much anyone except Kentucky jealous. Almost every year we are putting one, two, even three guys in the NBA and further solidifying this program as a brand where the best high school players want to play. All that, every year, when almost every school has a rebuilding year, a rough patch where they miss the tournament, where they get their crap pushed in while waiting for the young guys to improve. Almost every year, u get to cheer your team on another week in the sweet 16 and elite 8 while the other 300 some schools fans watch on TV and hope for exciting upsets. You get to be a part of one of the most special fanbases in college sports, that fills up our own house night in and night out, and the remainder of pretty much every venue we play at away from Tucson.

Here, here.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Do you seek out ways to set expectations that assure more misery than joy? Every football and basketball season is a wasted one without a Rose Bowl or Final 4... it sucks to be you.

You certainly have good reason to fear a Miller-coached team getting bounced in the first round, oh wait... Never mind. It will undoubtedly happen someday - and any fan that calls him something that rhymes with witch will be acting like something that rhymes with runt.

As for other comments... If only all our sports programs had the 'tournement issues' that our basketball program does. Wow.

This program defines excellence. That should be celebrated and appreciated.
Beermancats

Post by Beermancats »

How's this for domination? Arizona has led the PAC-12 in scoring margin for three-straight seasons and is on pace to make it four-straight as AZ (+13.1) holds a firm lead over Utah (+9.7) heading down the final stretch.

Couple other tidbits:
Gabe York currently leads the PAC-12 with 72 three pointers made. When the heck was the last time an Arizona player led the conference in threes? Salim?

Ryan Anderson leads the PAC-12 in total rebounds with 258. Arizona has rebounded well as a team under Miller, but I can't recall a player leading the conference under his tutelage.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

So far today I've learned that Ray Smith is dead and that college basketball season lasts for three weeks in March.

Seriously, we need an infusion of posting talent around here.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Look, I kind of understand deprioritizing the regular season. With our tourney issues, I care more about March than the season.

What I fail to understand is the flush the season mentality. Only one team wins their last game in the tourney. Short of that, the only accomplishment that gets me excited is a FF. Statistically, those are not the norm for any program. Yet we still get moments and players that matter.

An enjoyable season with a rough end is just that. If you can only count the season when the team wins out in the tourney, you will miss a lot of special moments for Arizona basketball. In the last two years alone, we got to watch:

-Smackdown of Duke in MSG.
-Aaron Gordon's dunk removing Colorado's soul.
-Blowing Zaga out of the building in the tourney.
-Taking the title in Hawaii.
-TJ's goodbye kiss to McKale.
-Beating the Ducks down to take the Pac tourney.
When I think back at the last two seasons I only remember Frank the Tank destroying us twice in Socal

Also, I was not a fan in 1992 or 1993 and we probably had some great wins that season but to this day you mention those years and all anyone remembers is how we lost in the First Round both years badly

The OSU win in 2005 in the Sweet 16 was a great win, do I cherish that memory...no because what happened the next game

Also the beauty of college basketball is the goal is to make a Final Four which means in my opinion you can still lose your last game but feel like you accomplished something that year if you make a Final Four

You guys all sound like Sacramento Kings and PHX Suns fans. We are better then that
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Jefe wrote:
Newportcat wrote:If I lived in Tucson and can attend games lives, I would probably feel differently. But I don't so at this point, especially given the past couple years under Miller, I really do not care about the regular season outside of making sure we make the tourney, and working to get as high a side as possible.
Do you even basketball?
Interesting
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

rgdeuce wrote:Newport,being blunt, you sound like a spoiled f--king fan. Being blunt again, you come across as a fairweather fan who needs a final four so you can validate your team to others around you. I mean, as an Arizona fan, you have it made. Every damn year you have a team that wins 20 plus, wins the conference or is among the top teams, and fields a super competitive team that has a better CHANCE than most teams to reach a final four or win a national title in the wild crapshoot that is known as the NCAA tournament. You have a coach who every year puts together classes thats make pretty much anyone except Kentucky jealous. Almost every year we are putting one, two, even three guys in the NBA and further solidifying this program as a brand where the best high school players want to play. All that, every year, when almost every school has a rebuilding year, a rough patch where they miss the tournament, where they get their crap pushed in while waiting for the young guys to improve. Almost every year, u get to cheer your team on another week in the sweet 16 and elite 8 while the other 300 some schools fans watch on TV and hope for exciting upsets. You get to be a part of one of the most special fanbases in college sports, that fills up our own house night in and night out, and the remainder of pretty much every venue we play at away from Tucson.

Spoiled F*cking fan, how have I been spoiled since 2001. From 1988 to 2001 we were spoiled fans, since then NO. We are not spoiled at all. We deserve better then what we have seen. I have not made it.

I love Arizona Basketball but am being candid when I say I could care less about the Regular Season especially given our past two seasons. I want Arizona to be a Top 5 program that is legit like Kentucky, Duke, or North Carolina. Multiple Championships, many Final Fours, and yes when I tell people I am a fan they respect the program rather then have ways to talk trash on it. I see ZERO reason why we should not be that program given our ability to recruit, our facilities, our history, our fan support at home games, etc.

The only things that matter in College Basketball are Final Fours and NCAA Championships. Period, end of story, thats it. Thats how a program is judged.

Sean Miller hasn't really accomplished anything at Arizona yet until he takes us to a Final Four. You guys might hate that statement but its the truth
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Do you seek out ways to set expectations that assure more misery than joy? Every football and basketball season is a wasted one without a Rose Bowl or Final 4... it sucks to be you.

You certainly have good reason to fear a Miller-coached team getting bounced in the first round, oh wait... Never mind. It will undoubtedly happen someday - and any fan that calls him something that rhymes with witch will be acting like something that rhymes with runt.

As for other comments... If only all our sports programs had the 'tournement issues' that our basketball program does. Wow.

This program defines excellence. That should be celebrated and appreciated.
Again, I grow up a Lakers fan where the only thing that matters is Banners. The only thing you are judged on as a sports program is winning championships.

I am not even saying I need our teams to win championships but get to the place to be in a position to do so.

Every football season Arizona football does not make a Rose Bowl is a waste of time, I literally believe that every year of Arizona football has been a giant waste of time since we joined the PAC 12. When people think about our program what do they say "Arizona is the only PAC 10 team to never make a Rose Bowl". Any season which does not remove that moniker does nothing to change our program

Every Arizona basketball season which does not end in a Final Four is a waste of time just like every Arizona baseball season which does not end in making a College World Series is a waste of time, same for Softball.

Do I think we lose in the first round this year, no. My point is if we did, all this carrying about winning the PAC 12 in basketball means nothing. If we lose in the second round or sweet 16 it means nothing too especially knowing that this is not a team that builds off each other.

Every year our team is entirely different given how recruiting works which means to me either they make a final four or they don't.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Ah that explains it. Forming opinions while watching guys getting paid for half ass efforts every night makes sense why you don't value then purity of college sports and it's regular season.

Have loved every minute of this years team. Not knowing if we would win and how much we would prove over the course of the year has been enjoyable to watch. Our flow on offense has been a treat to watch. It's a shame you can't find enjoyment until the results are in and by then, the season is over in a flash
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Laker fans are such chodes.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Damn Newport, you must REALLY love wasting time. Because not only do you follow Arizona sports (a giant time-waste according to you) but you care about it, and post about it. And if I remember correctly, don't you also contribute financially to the athletic department? Your capability to waste time and money is second to none. Kudos!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

You certainly play the part of the stereotypical Lakers fan to a T. And since regular seasons mean nothing, Is it safe to assume you don't watch any Lakers games unless they have Kobe and Pau or Kobe and Shaq? I pray you aren't a Dodgers fan, that has to be extremely rough for you. Big Kings fan though, right?

You said you weren't a fan in 92 and 93, but then later said we were spoiled from 88 through 2001. Which is it and when did you become a fan? You know, some of us were born and raised in Tucson and have bled cardinal red and blue since we were learning the alphabet. Some of us were students and/or fans way before the Lute era. I'm not seeing such lofty demands from such people.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Still have to beat ASU
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azcat49 wrote:Ah that explains it. Forming opinions while watching guys getting paid for half ass efforts every night makes sense why you don't value then purity of college sports and it's regular season.

Have loved every minute of this years team. Not knowing if we would win and how much we would prove over the course of the year has been enjoyable to watch. Our flow on offense has been a treat to watch. It's a shame you can't find enjoyment until the results are in and by then, the season is over in a flash
If you think College sports are pure, I am sorry to burst your bubble they are not. There are many things that happen behind the scenes which would dramatically change your opinion. The words NCAA and purity should never go together

I think College Basketball has major issues that need to be fixed to make the regular season not so worthless such as requiring players to stay two years and making the regular season more important to the NCAA tournament (Maybe win the regular season title and then you get a bye?). As mentioned too many times before, you win regular season PAC 12 Baseball title, you basically are guaranteeing the regional and super regional round at home which we saw in 2012 was huge for us advancing. You get none of that with NCAA Tournament.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Newportcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Ah that explains it. Forming opinions while watching guys getting paid for half ass efforts every night makes sense why you don't value then purity of college sports and it's regular season.

If you think College sports are pure, I am sorry to burst your bubble they are not. There are many things that happen behind the scenes which would dramatically change your opinion. The words NCAA and purity should never go together

I think College Basketball has major issues that need to be fixed to make the regular season not so worthless such as requiring players to stay two years and making the regular season more important to the NCAA tournament (Maybe win the regular season title and then you get a bye?). As mentioned too many times before, you win regular season PAC 12 Baseball title, you basically are guaranteeing the regional and super regional round at home which we saw in 2012 was huge for us advancing. You get none of that with NCAA Tournament.
The NCAA tournament is the most entertaining major sports tournament on earth.

The idea that maybe we could get college basketball to the level of college baseball in popularity, respect and entertainment value... :lol:
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:Damn Newport, you must REALLY love wasting time. Because not only do you follow Arizona sports (a giant time-waste according to you) but you care about it, and post about it. And if I remember correctly, don't you also contribute financially to the athletic department? Your capability to waste time and money is second to none. Kudos!
I have barely posted on the Basketball forums this year except for this thread as I do find it shocking you guys care so much about winning the PAC 12 title or the regular season in general and find so much joy in how we do in the regular season. The fact someone implied in this thread they would maybe take a PAC 12 title over a trip to the Final Four still blows me away.

I love Arizona sports but I follow Arizona basketball a lot less then I used to. Especially after past two years, see zero reason to get excited at all before the tourney. That's just me and if I lived in Tucson and could attend games live would probably feel differently.

I would say my fetish with Arizona football is sick and disturbing given how irrelevant and average our program is. I just love college football (everything that is wrong with college basketball in my opinion is right in College football. Regular season is huge, each week has games that have national implications, winning your conference is important, guys have to stay in school three years, even if you don't play for a national title you can still play and win a big bowl game and end your season with a win, etc)

Love you to ChiCat!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

The idea that maybe we could get college basketball to the level of college baseball in popularity, respect and entertainment value... :lol:
Exactly, the NCAA tourney is awesome but makes regular season so irrelevant. I think there are tweaks they could make to change that but tough part is that NCAA make so much money from the tourney. Here is an interesting article from 3 years ago on this issue

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ll/274775/
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Newportcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

Exactly, the NCAA tourney is awesome but makes regular season so irrelevant. I think there are tweaks they could make to change that but tough part is that NCAA make so much money from the tourney. Here is an interesting article from 3 years ago on this issue

This "irrelevant regular season" argument is crap. There are only 68 teams invited.

Basically when looking through a prism of a playoff, all sports could have irrelevant regular seasons. I mean, college football has only 4 teams competing for a national championship. So basically irrelevant outside of a handful of teams.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The regular season Pac-12 (10) champion has only missed the NCAA tournament once out of what? The past 30 years? Sure though, college basketball should strive to be as good as college baseball. Sign me up.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Saying the regular season is irrelevant is a measure of how spoiled we are as a fan base. To bubble teams, the regular season is pretty relevant.

It's only because we have ascended to the point that we expect it to be a given that people dare to call the season irrelevant. Talk to UCLA about whether the regular season is irrelevant.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:Still have to beat ASU
Oh we're beating ASU. It's next week that has me a little apprehensive. Think we're going 2-0 the following week. If we get a little help from the L.A. schools, we should win our third straight title.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Olsondogg wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

This "irrelevant regular season" argument is crap. There are only 68 teams invited.

Basically when looking through a prism of a playoff, all sports could have irrelevant regular seasons. I mean, college football has only 4 teams competing for a national championship. So basically irrelevant outside of a handful of teams.
That is your comeback...seriously, "Irrelevant regular season" argument is crap given 68 team are invited. 68, this year PAC 12 should have what 7 or 8 or 9 team in. Yes, so tough to make the tourney.

No, in College Football the regular season is hugely important. In other sports like Baseball it is important given so few teams make the playoffs. In NFL it is very important as well as teams fight for bye weeks and home field advantage. NBA you fight for home court advantage which is important.

College basketball, not so much. You could literally lose every game in the regular season and you still have a chance at winning the NCAA Tourney as you could win your conference tournament, then win every NCAA game. Said that before and NO one had a good argument against me on that. What other sport could that happen in?

I love the NCAA Tournament, greatest sporting event on earth to me. But it has made the regular season especially the regular season conference championship irrelevant to anyone except die hard fans.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:The regular season Pac-12 (10) champion has only missed the NCAA tournament once out of what? The past 30 years? Sure though, college basketball should strive to be as good as college baseball. Sign me up.
Thank you for proving my point, the regular season PAC 10 champ did once miss the NCAA Tourney. Think about that, a member of a major conference won the PAC 10 and didn't even make the tourney. Just shows how irrelevant winning the PAC 10/12 was and is.

Given Attendance figures and ratings during the regular season, College Basketball should sign up to do something different. Doubt they do given how much money the NCAA makes off March Madness
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well we had 10 out of 12 reams in bowl games and half the D-1 teams get invites. Far less than the 25% of D-1 bball teams and we only I'll get in 6 or 7 teams in the bball tourney
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Saying the regular season is irrelevant is a measure of how spoiled we are as a fan base. To bubble teams, the regular season is pretty relevant.

It's only because we have ascended to the point that we expect it to be a given that people dare to call the season irrelevant. Talk to UCLA about whether the regular season is irrelevant.
For the love of God we are not spoiled. Arizona fans are spoiled with Arizona Softball. From 1988 through 2001 Arizona basketball fans were spoiled. Since that point HELL NO.

I swear to god that statement that Arizona fans are spoiled Basketball fans makes me want to puke. To be spoiled in college basketball means you make Final Fours or Championships on a regular basis. Duke is spoiled, Kentucky is Spoiled, UNC is Spoiled, Arizona...NO.

Have you guys forgotten our 5 loses in the Elite 8 since 2003. Because thats all any college basketball fan remembers about Arizona right now.

The only thing you have to do in the regular season is make the tournament, after that winning your conference or your conference tourney title is completely and utterly irrelevant in my opinion especially in light of the fact that all these Arizona teams are so different year to year. We never have teams that build off each where you say, watch this team next year or wait two years when all these guys are juniors. Its they better make a final four because half the team will be gone next year.
Last edited by Newportcat on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azcat49 wrote:Well we had 10 out of 12 reams in bowl games and half the D-1 teams get invites. Far less than the 25% of D-1 bball teams and we only I'll get in 6 or 7 teams in the bball tourney
I don't disagree there are way too many worthless bowls and making a bowl game is not an accomplishment in college football. Winning your conference is though. And every game Arizona plays during the regular season is critically important to our goal of finally making a Rose Bowl especially conference games.

I love college basketball because of the tournament but there are so many teams out of the 300+ which have zero chance of making the tourney every year so that 25% number is a misnomer.

I love the banter and wish you guys all well and love your passion for our program.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I guess we are just trying to help you smell the roses along the journey Newport.

Have loved every minute of this bball season and will look forward to the football season as if we were the defending NC's