let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: let's talk '19

Post by dovecanyoncat »

...and the Illuminati. Don't forget the Illuminati.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Until the globalist bankers, federal reserve, and the bilederberg group decide it's time to engineer another global market crisis and we all lose all of money we've been putting into these gov't sanctioned retirement funds. Gov't sanctioned because we don't really own them and they are easily plundered.
Does this mean Ira isn't going to improve from his freshman to sophomore year?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Until the globalist bankers, federal reserve, and the bilederberg group decide it's time to engineer another global market crisis and we all lose all of money we've been putting into these gov't sanctioned retirement funds. Gov't sanctioned because we don't really own them and they are easily plundered.
He will improve just long enough for you to feel like you can count on him, then proof..... thin air. That's when the illuminati take him away and make you come trade in your tin foil hats for a 666 tattoo.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: He will improve just long enough for you to feel like you can count on him, then proof..... thin air.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
He will improve just long enough for you to feel like you can count on him, then proof..... thin air. That's when the illuminati take him away and make you come trade in your tin foil hats for a 666 tattoo.
Curious, does the "666 tattoo" refer to 666 Fifth Ave, for which the first son in law grossly overpaid (speaking of tin foil hats)?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

No, Mark of the beast.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Imagine knowing a guy whose wife caught him cheating on her, but she didn't care enough to make a big deal of it, so that guy then went on to cheat numerous more times with better looking women than he ever had landed before, and it's as if he never got caught at all, because nobody cares for some reason.

That's USC basketball right now.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Until one day she says, he makes enough now and has cheated enough that I'd get a pretty good settlement, and since I don't care about him, I'll just hang him out and take all his money. He will still exist, but nobody will care, and all the hotties he's been cheating with won't want anything to do with a guy driving an 84 Chevette.
-Norlander.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

5 Star point guard........Duke is the heavy favorite
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

This announcing a "final 9" thing is so dumb.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ in Final 12 for local kid

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... ts-mannion" target="_blank
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Nobody Does it Like Ira Lee.

A play on “Nobody Doesn’t Like Sara Lee”
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Getting will graduate from Cornell in December and be eligible to play at Arizona during the 2019-2020 season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Getting will graduate from Cornell in December and be eligible to play at Arizona during the 2019-2020 season.
He went to Cornell. Ever heard of it?

In seriousness, seems like a good rotation add for '19.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here's his Bio at Cornell's website:
As a junior (2017-18)
• Named to the All-Ivy second team after averaging a career-high 16.7 points and 6.6 rebounds to go along with 2.9 assists.
• Earned a spot on the CoSIDA Academic All-America third team after garnering first-team academic all-district honors.
• Shot 49 percent from the floor, 37 percent from 3-point range and 83 percent from the free-throw line.
• Was one of only two players to rank in the top 10 in the Ivy League in points (sixth), rebounds (third) and assists (ninth), as well as sitting in the top 10 in field goal percentage (10th), free-throw percentage (sixth) and defensive rebounds (third).
• Posted three 30-point outings and 11 20-point games with five double-doubles.
• Scored 39 points at Delaware, the third-highest point total in a single contest ever recorded at Cornell, and his 17 rebounds at Ivy leader Penn were the most by a Big Red player since 2009.
• Had a pair of 30-point double-doubles, with 32 points and 10 rebounds against Ivy preseason favorite Harvard and 30 points and 11 boards vs. Niagara.
• Averaged 27.5 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.0 steals in two regular season games against Ivy champ Harvard.
• Scored 26 points, grabbed eight rebounds, dished five assists, had three blocks and two steals in the win over Princeton.
• Had 23 points, 10 rebounds, four assists and three blocks in the win at Brown.
• Scored 25 points with seven rebounds and five assists in the win over Columbia.
• Collected 21 points (including a career-best five 3-pointers) along with five rebounds, five assists, a block and a steal in the win
over Toledo.
• Hit all 10 free throws as part of a 16-point, six-rebound effort in the win over Binghamton.
http://cornellbigred.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=41297" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Yeah, there will always be a question about the increase in quality of competition, but he doesn't necessarily have to be our starter for sure. He can handle minutes, and we'll see how many.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Class complete.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Class complete.
This is a pretty solid pickup IMO. Should be a rich man's Ryan Luther, and I think will play a lot of minutes in 2019-2020. I think that year is gearing up to be a really good team if we can land some of our current targets in the 2019 class (Mannion, Green, and another 4/5 likely).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone seen any news on Nico? Did he already re-classify to '19, or is that just anticipated?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Anyone seen any news on Nico? Did he already re-classify to '19, or is that just anticipated?
He's announcing his reclassification to 2019 on July 20th, it's a done deal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Anyone seen any news on Nico? Did he already re-classify to '19, or is that just anticipated?
Done deal to 19 or hopefully to us? Hopefully to us.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think the reclassification part is the only done deal. We may still lead, but others remain involved with him. He's a top 5 PG right now regardless of class.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:I think the reclassification part is the only done deal. We may still lead, but others remain involved with him. He's a top 5 PG right now regardless of class.
Seems like Boogie Ellis would be a decent consolation prize if we miss out on Nico. I would guess we just get one of those two considering Bwill is likely to be back. I know Miller may want both but that would be a tough sell IMO. Either way, seems very likely we add at least one PG in 2019.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I think the reclassification part is the only done deal. We may still lead, but others remain involved with him. He's a top 5 PG right now regardless of class.
Seems like Boogie Ellis would be a decent consolation prize if we miss out on Nico. I would guess we just get one of those two considering Bwill is likely to be back. I know Miller may want both but that would be a tough sell IMO. Either way, seems very likely we add at least one PG in 2019.
No reason you can't play Mannion and Williams together. I'd start them together with no hesitation.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Done deal to 19 or hopefully to us? Hopefully to us.
To just '19 for now.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:
ESPN has Ellis listed as a SG. Maybe not accurate?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
No reason you can't play Mannion and Williams together. I'd start them together with no hesitation.
Yes, yes Spiff.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I want Mannion badly in a nonsexual way. He's one of those Brunson type guys that set you up for a few years.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Can play the 1 and 2, just like Nico, just like BWill.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

How’s Miller doing with ‘19 recruiting?

Has he weathered the storm from last year or does he need about one more good year on the court to recover?

God damn my wildcat heart can’t take another season like the last one or two. Just give me a good season without off the court drama and with no major injuries and a good tourney run and I’m happy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:How’s Miller doing with ‘19 recruiting?

Has he weathered the storm from last year or does he need about one more good year on the court to recover?

God damn my wildcat heart can’t take another season like the last one or two. Just give me a good season without off the court drama and with no major injuries and a good tourney run and I’m happy.
Hopefully we have no more off the court drama. On the court, we need to do well to make the tourney. It's sort of nice not to have to worry about NC level expectations. Just let younger guys go and see what happens.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
I starting to have something of an aversion to these combo 1/2 ideas. It kind of feels like the old days with the combo 3/4s (like Fendi).

Play one position and play it at an elite level, whatever that position is.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
He should consider reclassifying the date to July 19th.

Just for consistency
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
I starting to have something of an aversion to these combo 1/2 ideas. It kind of feels like the old days with the combo 3/4s (like Fendi).

Play one position and play it at an elite level, whatever that position is.
Nico and Brandon are 1's. You can play more than one 1 together, and it equals 2. Combo guards are a different story.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:God damn my wildcat heart can’t take another season like the last one or two. Just give me a good season without off the court drama and with no major injuries and a good tourney run and I’m happy.
Amen. I've been tripping about our inability to get back to the FF since at least '05 (ie: the Illinois game). Now we're up to 21 years removed from the NC and 17 years removed from the last FF. That's some crazy sh*t. With the way things were rolling in the late 90s/early 00s, I really thought we'd be among Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and UNC, schools that get to the FF consistently every 4 to 5 years. And I think Miller was right bloody there before "the troubles" arose. He was about to land a monster '18 class, and all things considered, he sorta still did! I'm blown away by Miller's resilience and consistency. The guy is just a fierce competitor, and I hope he stays at AZ for many years.

For the upcoming season, I'll be good with a top 3 league finish and a tourney bid. Anything beyond that would be pleasantly surprising.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I think he lands two 5 star players with one probably being a one and done and the rest are similar to the guys we landed in the 2018 class.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I think he lands two 5 star players with one probably being a one and done and the rest are similar to the guys we landed in the 2018 class.
That is not a bad class composition. I almost wonder if we landed too many 5 stars for a period of time. It's hard for me to say too many 5 stars, but there were underlying issues.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

That is not a bad class composition. I almost wonder if we landed too many 5 stars for a period of time. It's hard for me to say too many 5 stars, but there were underlying issues.
Thanks guys appreciate it.

Yeah, when I say good tourney run, I mean, like beach, a top three finish and get to the sweet 16. That would be cool with this young team. It just get to the tourney and it’s all good.

I’d be down with that type of 2019 class choo.

As w issues, I maintain that not all 5*s are the same and I still feel we get the leftovers from the top schools, ayton not included. Like athleticism and ability wise we are right there with our 5*s, but made lacking in the maturity/mental/academic game. See T ferg.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

CCC, trying to read into that... Do you think Green is 1AD? or we would land one of Mcdaneils or Robinson-Earl and no green or mannion? Second thought, maybe Mannion ends up a 4* by jumping class. Really want one of the athletic front court players- McD/R-E.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

CCC, trying to read into that... Do you think Green is 1AD? or we would land one of Mcdaneils or Robinson-Earl and no green or mannion? Second thought, maybe Mannion ends up a 4* by jumping class. Really want one of the athletic front court players- McD/R-E.
Yes, Green is a 1&D to me. I'm far from 100% on us landing him, but I think with his family in Phx, and the connection with Mannion, we have an edge on the competition when it ultimately comes down to it.

If I had to pick a class at the moment I'd say:

Mannion
Green
Christian Koloko
and a wing like Terry Armstrong or Jalen Hill
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

That would be a fantastic class. I guess w/ Stone Gettings the McD/R-E dream is no more. Bird in the hand and time in the system makes total sense.

A lot of interchangeable parts and a decent amount of experience. Especially if one of Randolph/Akot somehow return for '19/'20.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Mannion and Green alone would be a fantastic class. I'm not of the mind Randolph or Akot necessarily will be at the point they should leave. We definitely should return Williams, Doutrive, Barcello, Jeter and Lee with Gettings coming in. If Randolph and Akot both returned, that's a really good 10 deep with only Mannion and Green.

As bad as things were with the FBI, a single "down" year to that would be another borderline miracle by SM.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Mannion and Green alone would be a fantastic class. I'm not of the mind Randolph or Akot necessarily will be at the point they should leave. We definitely should return Williams, Doutrive, Barcello, Jeter and Lee with Gettings coming in. If Randolph and Akot both returned, that's a really good 10 deep with only Mannion and Green.

As bad as things were with the FBI, a single "down" year to that would be another borderline miracle by SM.
Totally agree SS. Mannion/Green is great.

On Randolph/Akot... just feels like we don't get guys like that to return often. Even one would be great.

There is also Thielmans and Smith. Although I wonder if Smith would be graduate transfer candidate.
1/2 Brandon Williams 6'1" 175 So
1/2 Alex Barcello 6'2 190 Jr
2/3 Devonair Doutrive 6'5" 175 So
2/3 Dylan Smith 6'5" 200 Rssr
3/4 Omar Thielmans 6'7" 200 So
4/5 Ira Lee 6'7" 235 jr
4/5 Stone Gettings 6'9 235 Sr
5 Chase Jeter 6'10 240 RsSr
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

baycat93 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Mannion and Green alone would be a fantastic class. I'm not of the mind Randolph or Akot necessarily will be at the point they should leave. We definitely should return Williams, Doutrive, Barcello, Jeter and Lee with Gettings coming in. If Randolph and Akot both returned, that's a really good 10 deep with only Mannion and Green.

On Randolph/Akot... just feels like we don't get guys like that to return often. Even one would be great.

There is also Thielmans and Smith. Although I wonder if Smith would be graduate transfer candidate.
4/5 Ira Lee 6'7" 235 jr
Damn, totally forgot about Smith and Thielmans. I'll blame it on the dead offseason board.

Yeah, we have enough returning depth that two high level freshmen is plenty. Randolph and Akot...they might go, but I'm not sure it's a great decision. A lot depends on how they develop this year. They both have very high ceilings and NBA bodies, but we'll see.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:

4/5 Ira Lee 6'7" 235 jr
My bet is one of Akot/Randolph will be back for their junior year. Smith's involvement on that team would solely depend on the role he has this upcoming year. If he's not playing much I'd certainly peg him as a grad transfer candidate. Will also be interesting to see what happens with Barcello too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:

4/5 Ira Lee 6'7" 235 jr
My bet is one of Akot/Randolph will be back for their junior year. Smith's involvement on that team would solely depend on the role he has this upcoming year. If he's not playing much I'd certainly peg him as a grad transfer candidate. Will also be interesting to see what happens with Barcello too.
So much is unclear. We have a lot of guys with something to prove right now.

Jeter and Luther are the only two guys I feel comfortable with in terms of their role for the upcoming year. Everyone else could build or fade.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Mannion officially moved into the class of 2019 today.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Mannion officially moved into the class of 2019 today.
Nice. Gotta good feeling about him. Think he’s ours.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Mannion officially moved into the class of 2019 today.
Nice. Gotta good feeling about him. Think he’s ours.
It would be nice to land a timely commit to kick '19 off right. He would fit so well with a soph BWill.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He's going to announce a final 5 on Wednesday and take officials to all 5 schools. He's very likely to head to Arizona when it's all said and done.