Red-Blue game 2016

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Red-Blue game 2016

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:What separated TJ was his defense. TJ was good on offense, but not so good that if PJC is efficient and distributes, he can't match that.

Defensively, PJC has had issues that TJ never did. TJ was always the guy who spearheaded our attack. PJC, at best, is a guy who fits into a strong defensive team. We need someone else to lead, more than likely our strength on the wing that was lacking last year.

I hope PJC is ready, but after last year, I hesitate.
Yep. Defense, heart, intangibles. He had control over the whole offense and made everyone around him better. It is the textbook, "stats aren't everything" example. Plus TJ was a warrior. When the game was on the line, he was the first to throw on war paint and jump in and others followed. If others didnt want to, he would go in by himself. So you dont have that, but at least the numbers show he can be "serviceable" and you just have to account for TJ's strengths from elsewhere, like you said, and deal with what comes when those strengths are from spots other than the point guard position. You and I both have expressed workarounds on the offensive end, and we seemingly have some passing strength from the wings which will help with that. I am fine with that, contingent on the fact that PJC/Kadeem have worked on feeding the low post players. That needs to be stressed and improved this year, I cant stomach 5-6 perimeter passes and then a contested shot late in the shot clock like last year.

I'd prefer working the inside out game early in the shot clock and early in the game if we aren't in transition. Feed Ristic and LM and Chance (in a favorable matchup). Give them the option, double Dusan, or he is going to have double digits before you can blink and/or get your bigs in foul trouble early. If they double, it opens up shots for everyone else, or a breakdown for our slashers to attack. One point I didnt make in this thread earlier, remember last year when I was going HAM on Dusan slowing down the game in the low post and his inability to just catch and go right up with it. He had two of those quick catch and go ups in the scrimmage and made both. Something he has clearly been working on and will make him even more difficult to contain.
Yeah. We don't really need PJC to be good on offense. We need him to be a legit option who gets the ball to people and gives them space to operate. If he can make threes and be a threat to get to midrange and hit the floater, that is all the scoring we need. This is similar to TJ, who was never our guy to light it up, but helped immeasurably when he could keep the D honest.

Defensively, PJC just won't be TJ. What we need is for him to defend the pick and roll well and not get overpowered. He should have an easier time in the pick and roll bc Dusan/Ryan/Zeus were our big minute guys, and only Zeus was good. This year, Dusan should be improved, and I think Lauri and Chance should both be solid. PJC needs a running mate who doesn't make him shoulder the load. With Ryan and Dusan, we almost always had one so so pick and roll defender on the floor who made PJC perform.

If we can get solid PG play, I think we're more complete. Last year, we had deficiencies. You could isolate a guy on D and kill him. You could try to force Gabe to do it all. This year, we have a lot of options who aren't limited.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:Having the league's best PG is significant, which is why UW and UCLA should do well this year. When we had TJ, we enjoyed this luxury.
It's nice to have, but I wouldn't predicate a team's success so much on that one position. Four years ago, we finished 2nd with Mark Lyons running point., ahead of Cal (Cobbs as Jr), Colorado (Dinwiddie Soph), ASU (Carson's standout frosh year), Washington (Gaddy Sr). We only finished a game back from UCLA, who clearly had the cream distributors/facilitators with Kyle Anderson and Drew, and also throw in Shabazz Mohammed, Jordan Adams, Wear Twins, etc. It's more about total talent, and teams that typically have the most talent are going to be the ones landing the top PG's anyhow. Utah and Arizona were great teams elevated to an even higher play of Delon Wright and TJ. TJ made a top 10 team the best team in the country, before Bash's unfortunate injury.

Add to the fact that Fultz and Ball are freshmen. The talent will likely be apparent, but whether they are head and shoulders above older/experienced opponents on the court, we will see.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah. We don't really need PJC to be good on offense. We need him to be a legit option who gets the ball to people and gives them space to operate. If he can make threes and be a threat to get to midrange and hit the floater, that is all the scoring we need. This is similar to TJ, who was never our guy to light it up, but helped immeasurably when he could keep the D honest.

Defensively, PJC just won't be TJ. What we need is for him to defend the pick and roll well and not get overpowered. He should have an easier time in the pick and roll bc Dusan/Ryan/Zeus were our big minute guys, and only Zeus was good. This year, Dusan should be improved, and I think Lauri and Chance should both be solid. PJC needs a running mate who doesn't make him shoulder the load. With Ryan and Dusan, we almost always had one so so pick and roll defender on the floor who made PJC perform.

If we can get solid PG play, I think we're more complete. Last year, we had deficiencies. You could isolate a guy on D and kill him. You could try to force Gabe to do it all. This year, we have a lot of options who aren't limited.
Yep. Throw in Tollefsen as another guy who was clueless on the pick and roll. And I think your assessment in the last paragraph will be true. PJC will be a lot easier to "hide" this year with our off ball players, and our more athletic/versatile long guys (Chance, LM, Ray).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yep. Throw in Tollefsen as another guy who was clueless on the pick and roll. And I think your assessment in the last paragraph will be true. PJC will be a lot easier to "hide" this year with our off ball players, and our more athletic/versatile long guys (Chance, LM, Ray).
Yeah. Last year, of guys who got major minutes, I would say only Zeus was an above average defender.

Kadeem was decent. Gabe was decent, mainly because he understood the pack line after years in the system. Trier didn't stand out. PJC just got overwhelmed, and at his size, he needed to create steals. Dusan struggled when put in the pick and roll. Simon and Comanche had talent, but were really raw on both ends. Tollefsen got outquicked by smaller guys and outmuscled by bigger guys.

This year, guys like Smith, Alkins and Lauri can win the physical war, and every returner is hopefully better.