let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

prh

Re: let's talk '20

Post by prh »

If he bulks up a bit maybe he vaults up the rankings like Zeke has recently.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not that it matters, but nary a word of DT's commitment on ESPN.

You gotta imagine that our recruiting success is pretty devastating for their college hoops writers.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Rivals #31, 247 #38, FESPN #68 lol. 6-7 170lbs. 6 games last season with 4+ steals. Only 1 game not hitting 10+ assists.

Pretty impressive workout. He is barely getting dunks to go down though

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He's got a 7'1 wingspan.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:He's got a 7'1 wingspan.
Length, passing, and a desire to be a locked in defender. I love it. Now if he could only jump over a phone book...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Anyone else getting Jalen Rose vibes from Terry? Is Dalen the next Jalen?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Anyone else getting Jalen Rose vibes from Terry? Is Dalen the next Jalen?
Nick Calathes?

I will say this, he looks young in the face. Hopefully that means he has some physical maturity incoming. Beyond that, his skillset looks solid.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Anyone else getting Jalen Rose vibes from Terry? Is Dalen the next Jalen?
Nick Calathes?

I will say this, he looks young in the face. Hopefully that means he has some physical maturity incoming. Beyond that, his skillset looks solid.
Guy has at roughly 30lbs to put on.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Nice article on Dalen Terry putting on his recruiting hat for Sean Miller.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... w-schools/

"[Arizona coach] Sean Miller wanted me to commit [early]," Terry explained Sunday, a few minutes after completing camp at the United States Olympic & Paralympic Training Center. "[The staff] wanted me to commit early because they knew I could get guys. So they told me a bunch of guys [to target], and then I came back [to them] with even more guys. We had a conversation about who to get at; I was just mentioning a lot of players. And they were saying, 'Can we get them?' And I was like, 'Yeah, you can get them.' So I'm gonna keep recruiting them."

Whom, exactly?

"Dawson Garcia. Adam Miller. ... DJ Steward. Jaden Hardy. Skyy Clark. All those guys," Terry answered. "And I think I'm doing good. We're bonding as a group right now -- having those conversations at the lunch table, at the dinner table. It's just a real good thing."

Anyone have insight into those particular players?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Nice article on Dalen Terry putting on his recruiting hat for Sean Miller.

"[Arizona coach] Sean Miller wanted me to commit [early]," Terry explained Sunday, a few minutes after completing camp at the United States Olympic & Paralympic Training Center. "[The staff] wanted me to commit early because they knew I could get guys. So they told me a bunch of guys [to target], and then I came back [to them] with even more guys. We had a conversation about who to get at; I was just mentioning a lot of players. And they were saying, 'Can we get them?' And I was like, 'Yeah, you can get them.' So I'm gonna keep recruiting them."

Whom, exactly?

"Dawson Garcia. Adam Miller. ... DJ Steward. Jaden Hardy. Skyy Clark. All those guys," Terry answered. "And I think I'm doing good. We're bonding as a group right now -- having those conversations at the lunch table, at the dinner table. It's just a real good thing."

Garcia will be a battle, but we're doing well. Steward will end up at Duke, Hardy & Clark are 2021 so it's too early, and Miller I don't have any reason to believe we'd land him at the moment.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

CCC,

With Askew staying in 21, how are we doing with Burnett? Do you see anyway CSM goes full warlock and can get back in with Nix... that seems an "odd" recruitment.

How do you think we are doing with Zaire? IF, Terry, Johnson, Agbo are in the fold before him, too many pieces on the wing? Clearly he would start (likely even above DD)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:CCC,

With Askew staying in 21, how are we doing with Burnett? Do you see anyway CSM goes full warlock and can get back in with Nix... that seems an "odd" recruitment.

How do you think we are doing with Zaire? IF, Terry, Johnson, Agbo are in the fold before him, too many pieces on the wing? Clearly he would start (likely even above DD)
Nix is going to UCLA. Burnett will be a battle, but Miller is putting in a lot of work into that recruitment, so we'll see.

Top two at the moment for Zaire along with UNC. Agbo won't be a factor for him regardless as a long term combo forward prospect, so it may come down to who chooses first among Puff & Zaire. I'm confident whoever picks UNC that Arizona would get the other guy.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Nix is going to UCLA. Burnett will be a battle, but Miller is putting in a lot of work into that recruitment, so we'll see.

Top two at the moment for Zaire along with UNC. Agbo won't be a factor for him regardless as a long term combo forward prospect, so it may come down to who chooses first among Puff & Zaire. I'm confident whoever picks UNC that Arizona would get the other guy.
Love that note about Puff and Zaire...perfectly fine with either of them, although they are different types of prospects (multi-year vs OAD).
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Love that note about Puff and Zaire...perfectly fine with either of them, although they are different types of prospects (multi-year vs OAD).
Yes, would be fine with first to commit too. Still, as thin and young as that team is going to be, a gifted scorer in Zaire is probably a bigger need (even if 1AD) next year. Truth is there would be room and playing time for both. CSM has his work cut out for him next year.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:
But yeah, CBB recruiting doesn't have cheating baked in.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat wrote:
Isn't this how they landed Harden?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:
84Cat wrote:
Isn't this how they landed Harden?
They hired Harden's high school coach as an assistant and promptly shitcanned him after Harden left for the NBA.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

https://zonazealots.com/2019/08/04/ariz ... t-jt-thor/" target="_blank

Look, I have no clue if we're really an option, but I would love a player named Thor.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chibuzo Agbo committed to Texas Tech on his visit there, most figured he was Arizona bound, so that sucks. Nimari Burnett also eliminated us, but he wasn't expected to come to Arizona ultimately.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Chibuzo Agbo committed to Texas Tech on his visit there, most figured he was Arizona bound, so that sucks. Nimari Burnett also eliminated us, but he wasn't expected to come to Arizona ultimately.
Damn, definitely surprising. Makes Puff Johnson all the more important...hopefully we can lock him in soon so that we can feel good about the wing position going forward.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Chibuzo Agbo committed to Texas Tech on his visit there, most figured he was Arizona bound, so that sucks. Nimari Burnett also eliminated us, but he wasn't expected to come to Arizona ultimately.
Choo, how much do you think our 2020-21 roster question marks are impacting '20 recruiting? Feels like we really don't know who from our current roster will definitely be back next season, aside from the incoming transfers (Brown and Baker).

Is it safe to assume that our '20 class won't hold a candle to our '19 class?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

This smells a little like negative recruiting catching up to CSM and the program. Interesting Agbo and Burnett are both being recruited by TT.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Choo, how much do you think our 2020-21 roster question marks are impacting '20 recruiting? Feels like we really don't know who from our current roster will definitely be back next season, aside from the incoming transfers (Brown and Baker).

Is it safe to assume that our '20 class won't hold a candle to our '19 class?
Our roster questions? Arizona is literally selling oodles of playing time, because they were very likely be replacing all 5 starters next year. Brown is likely to take a starting spot, but outside of him the rest is completely up in the air and PT is ripe for the taking. That ain't the problem. I wouldn't expect the '20 class to be better than the '19 class, but I would expect it to be bigger.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Per 247 (Scheer), Puff Johnson will visit for the Red/Blue game.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Per 247 (Scheer), Puff Johnson will visit for the Red/Blue game.
Beginning the class with Jemarl Baker, Jordan Brown, Dalen Terry, and Puff Johnson would be niiiiiiice.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Per 247 (Scheer), Puff Johnson will visit for the Red/Blue game.
Beginning the class with Jemarl Baker, Jordan Brown, Dalen Terry, and Puff Johnson would be niiiiiiice.
I'd consider it more than likely.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
If this happens, what would be our remaining needs in the '20 class? Who are our main targets?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
If this happens, what would be our remaining needs in the '20 class? Who are our main targets?
Point guard, a post, probably a shooter, best player available.

Dawson Garcia, Kerwin Walton, Ziaire Williams would be other main targets. I know we're involved with a JUCO guy as well, not sure how far that goes though yet.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote:
any small and undersized point guard

but seriously, listen to Choo, he knows best
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
any small and undersized point guard

but seriously, listen to Choo, he knows best
I mean an undersized point guard is a must for any Sean Miller team. I figured that was a given though.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I mean an undersized point guard is a must for any Sean Miller team.
yes
ChooChooCat wrote:I figured that was a given though.
excellent point
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Dawson Garcia, Kerwin Walton, Ziaire Williams would be other main targets. I know we're involved with a JUCO guy as well, not sure how far that goes though yet.
Have we offered Garcia? Can't find that confirmed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Have we offered Garcia? Can't find that confirmed.
Yeah, long time ago.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Dalen Terry now ranked as a five star by 247... moves him to the top player in the state of Arizona, 26th ranked in the country.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Dalen Terry now ranked as a five star by 247... moves him to the top player in the state of Arizona, 26th ranked in the country.
I am higher on Terry's production than potential. I would say he has a chance to be a very productive college player with a low ceiling in terms of NBA potential.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Dalen Terry now ranked as a five star by 247... moves him to the top player in the state of Arizona, 26th ranked in the country.
I am higher on Terry's production than potential. I would say he has a chance to be a very productive college player with a low ceiling in terms of NBA potential.
You like a Kyle Anderson comparison?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
You like a Kyle Anderson comparison?
He definitely is one that popped into my head. Delon Wright was another. The kind of guy who can be versatile and efficient, and have an NBA career, but lacks that physical profile to be an NBA star.

I remember throwing out Nick Calathes as another comparison. All those guys are the sort of mold I see for Terry. Not enough of an athlete to have NBA teams drooling, but a solid, long, versatile wing.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Choo who do you think leads for Walton? Would love him as a 4 year high level role player type. I really like how much Miller is embracing shooting....it was an issue for us for a long time but I don’t think he ever wants to deal with a below average 3 point shooting team again.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Choo who do you think leads for Walton? Would love him as a 4 year high level role player type. I really like how much Miller is embracing shooting....it was an issue for us for a long time but I don’t think he ever wants to deal with a below average 3 point shooting team again.
I've heard we're doing very well, but not confident enough to say we're for sure landing him at the moment.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Appreciate the insight as always Choo. Hopefully he would help in the pursuit of Dawson Garcia as well. Terry, Walton, Garcia, Puff would be a really solid freshman class.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I was happy to see the delon wright comp. He was a fantastic college player.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Nice article on Dalen Terry putting on his recruiting hat for Sean Miller.

Whom, exactly?

Garcia will be a battle, but we're doing well. Steward will end up at Duke, Hardy & Clark are 2021 so it's too early, and Miller I don't have any reason to believe we'd land him at the moment.
any change to that feeling now that Miller has visited Choo?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What does that tweet even mean??????
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:What does that tweet even mean??????
Red heart=his heart is on fire.
Blue heart=his heart is frozen.
Question mark=which is it?

Nocommit=he is unwilling to commit to a position on whether his heart will perish in fire or ice.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I guess thx Spiff? That still makes no sense to me. Recruiting sucks.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:What does that tweet even mean??????
It means he wanted to share the pics but the tweet does not mean he’s committed.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:I guess thx Spiff? That still makes no sense to me. Recruiting sucks.
I'm just messing around. I don't understand emoji tweets, man.