AdjD tracker

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: AdjD tracker

Post by YoDeFoe »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Phylek wrote:Since the UCLA game(8 games) Arizona has an average adjusted D of 94.0. That's good enough for #11 in adjusted D.

If you drop the Oregon game, where we were missing a key player and head coach, adjusted D is 90.4 for those 7 games. That's good enough for #3.
Is this just in the Pac 12?
National rankings, though we're comparing our most recent against the rest of the country's whole body of work... still a good reference.

It's actually... it's an incredibly insightful look. That @Oregon game is a huge outlier but I feel okay excluding it for obvious reasons.

90.4 DRtg would be the third best under Miller. Our offense has been clicking all year but goddamn we all of a sudden got good on defense.

Matches up with the ORtg and DRtg stats the 2015 team put up (the Stanley team) but we've got two offensive juggernauts (with the potential for four if Rawle and Risitc are on).

(you can visualize our recent performance here... http://www.barttorvik.com/trends.php?y= ... &type=adjd" target="_blank - make the start game "26" and you see what that recent run looks like)
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Updating to include yesterday's game which was a very strong defensive(86.1) and surprisingly strong offensive(126.4) showing.

I'm leaving out the Oregon game since it seems we all agree that was in no way this same team.

In the 8 games since UCLA the Cats have a...

Adjusted defense rating of 89.9 which is good enough for #3
Adjusted offense rating of 118.1 which is good enough for #17

Additionally, you have to be really impressed with their rebounding lately. In the UCLA game the Cats out rebounded the Bruins 29-11 in the second half and out rebounded USC 42-19 for the game. Those are crazy numbers against quality teams.

Stuff just seems to be clicking, right now. They are figuring stuff out.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

For those who take issue with dropping the Oregon gave including that game still has Arizona overt the last 9 games with adjusted D of 93.2(#6) and adjusted O of 119.8(# 10).

Those may even be better numbers because the offense is affected much more than the defense.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thank you, Phylek!
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Phylek wrote:For those who take issue with dropping the Oregon gave including that game still has Arizona overt the last 9 games with adjusted D of 93.2(#6) and adjusted O of 119.8(# 10).

Those may even be better numbers because the offense is affected much more than the defense.
Those are the numbers that matter. Our poor defensive numbers from November, December and January mean nothing. It's clear we've become a solid defensive team. Just need to keep improving.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And wheats awesome is in all the post game interviews the players keep speaking to how they feel things are gelling on defense and that they feel they are playing their best basketball.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Points per Possession since the UCLA home loss:

USC - 1.06
ASU - 0.97
Oregon State - 0.94
Oregon - 1.31
Stanford - 1.00
Cal - 0.83
Colorado - 0.92
UCLA - 0.94
USC - 0.95

raw average - 0.99. If you remove the Oregon game, it is .95. That'll play the next few weeks.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Phylek wrote:Updating to include yesterday's game which was a very strong defensive(86.1) and surprisingly strong offensive(126.4) showing.

I'm leaving out the Oregon game since it seems we all agree that was in no way this same team.

In the 8 games since UCLA the Cats have a...

Adjusted defense rating of 89.9 which is good enough for #3
Adjusted offense rating of 118.1 which is good enough for #17

Additionally, you have to be really impressed with their rebounding lately. In the UCLA game the Cats out rebounded the Bruins 29-11 in the second half and out rebounded USC 42-19 for the game. Those are crazy numbers against quality teams.

Stuff just seems to be clicking, right now. They are figuring stuff out.
Excellent post. I agree that it seems to be coming together. I posted about how we didn't seem able to play good D and rebound in the same game, but we did vs USC.

Oddly, now we need Zo and Rawle to have their offensive games come together. Ayton will be a constant, and he looks like he's on a mission. PJC and Dusan as in as good a place as they ever have been.

You just see a different attitude towards things too.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I will say this about rebounding, Aytons fingers are like 20" long and he has mastered the art of the "tip it up out of reach of the other team to myself" move.
I watch a lot of basketball, not many people do that consistently well.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:I will say this about rebounding, Aytons fingers are like 20" long and he has mastered the art of the "tip it up out of reach of the other team to myself" move.
I watch a lot of basketball, not many people do that consistently well.
Yep, he’s in the same club as anthony davis, hakeem, prob walton back in the day, guys like that.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

To finish this up pre-tourney....

In the 9 games since the UCLA home loss the Cats have a...

Adjusted defense rating of 93.2 which is good enough for 6th in the nation
Adjusted offense rating of 119.8 which is good enough for 11th in the nation
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

YoDeFoe wrote:To finish this up pre-tourney....

It would be cool to see these numbers for all the contenders over the last 10 games.
prh

Post by prh »

azgreg wrote:

It would be cool to see these numbers for all the contenders over the last 10 games.
If you're ok with Barttorvik's calculations, here's national rankings since February 9
http://barttorvik.com/trankslice.php?ye ... l&type=All" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I like where we're at and only getting better.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

azgreg wrote:I like where we're at and only getting better.
Of course our 2 highest possible match ups are right ahead of us. This will be a gauntlet. No one can ever say we didn't earn it.

Time to BTFD.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

prh wrote:
azgreg wrote:

If you're ok with Barttorvik's calculations, here's national rankings since February 9
http://barttorvik.com/trankslice.php?ye ... l&type=All" target="_blank
Didn't know you could do this!! Torvik's calcs are pretty much the same as KenPom so I'm satisfied.

Good idea for checking "who is hot" entering the tourney.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

jajoyce wrote:
azgreg wrote:I like where we're at and only getting better.
Of course our 2 highest possible match ups are right ahead of us. This will be a gauntlet. No one can ever say we didn't earn it.

Time to BTFD.
As others have said we were going to have to beat 1 good team and 5 very good teams for the ship anyways so let's do this.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Is hate to even reference Dickhead V, but this is where some common sense has to come into play. I’ve now watched UVA play about 3-4 times in the last couple of weeks, whereas I hadn’t seen them play all year. And my not-bald dome index tells me that we are a far superior offensive team to UVA. And we are playing better than we have all year now. But this Torvik guy has UVA with a higher offensive efficiency rating than us over the past 10 games. No. Just no.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Not only are they statistically improving on defense, CSM is acknowledging they're getting better.

The biggest surprise of the weekend was PJC. That's the best he has played in quite some time, on both ends.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Phylek wrote:Since the UCLA game(8 games) Arizona has an average adjusted D of 94.0. That's good enough for #11 in adjusted D.

If you drop the Oregon game, where we were missing a key player and head coach, adjusted D is 90.4 for those 7 games. That's good enough for #3.
I see you ODogg :D
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong