Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give a Damn

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote:
Chicat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:I'll preface this by disclosing that I work in healthcare legal and regulatory compliance....

I Don't care if "(most) everyone is doing it", and/or if "it's necessary to compete at the highest level". Not. One. Bit.

I hope as many as possible who have in fact participated in this corruption becomes a convicted felon and does hard time. Period.

The only exception I'd support would be (most of) the athletes and their immediate family members, if they turn "state's evidenve" and fully disclose all payments and/or offers.

I just Don't fucking care for cheaters.
Does the NCAA hand out prison sentences as punishment now? I had no idea...

Also, I have no idea of any sound reasons why I shouldn't merge this thread with the main scandal one. Please someone enlighten me on both counts.
Book and the other nine were indicted on felony counts in Federal Court - he faces up to 60 years in Federal prison

The investigation is ongoing, and more indictments are expected.

That assistant coaches, and especially the players/family/friends involved have no reason to refuse to tell all and seek a favorable plea bargain and or reduction of charges
Any thoughts on what charges they'll be brought up on? You see what Book was charged with? What circumstances are you envisioning here?

You are literally the only person I've seen accusing players, and family & friends of those players, of federal crimes that would precipitate them telling the FBI about other federal crimes. Tax evasion across the board?
pc in NM wrote:The best reason to merge this would be to absorb it and make the specific fan reaction and ensuing discussion more difficult to track.
Ah yes. Your thoughts shouldn't be lost in the ether....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by NYCat »

This old fuck
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Hank of sb wrote:I would guess he was mid 300's.
$235k excluding other income or bonuses.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Lock them up! Lock them up! Lock them up!
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:Few points, the Book is a rogue coach thing, I haven't seen anybody mention it in this thread yet but was Pasternak rogue too? If you read the stuff on page 36 or 37 they openly discuss a meeting with TWO arizona assistants, the money men, and the uncle of a recruit. One is Book, the other it says was "then an assistant at school 4." We know that is Arizona so it had to be Pasternak. he clearly said he was all in on the scheme to take bribes so you had 2 guys not one.

You have 2 current players who got paid. It's not clear if current includes this years freshmen or just guys on this years team who played last year. Alkins is hurt. If one of these is Trier, his career in college is over, suspended last year over steroids no way the NCAA lets him pay the money back and plays this year if he's one of the 2. I assume the recruit whose uncle showed up was Little, I originally thought Ayton but then re reading it seems to imply it's class of 18 and Little seems most obvious since he's referenced elsewhere.
Like... all of this is wrong. You weren't great at book reports, I'll guess.
The entire passage on the meeting with 2 coaches ends by saying they haven't asked for anything. Then, dude makes a string of contacts with Book solo. Then Book makes the solo request for $. There are not 2 coaches involved in the bribe, and it's pretty clear.

There's also no reference to two current players being paid. There's Quinerly, who is a 2018 recruit and a reference to an unnamed current player who Christian Dawkins says "we got no expenses there," claiming to have paid him already. That's it.

This isn't really that hard.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

NYCat wrote:This old fuck
Vitale is such a scumbag, in one tweet he's basically defending Pitino in the next he's calling Arizona sleazebags...make up your mind cupcake.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:
I'm skeptical on the FBI notified Miller in advance stuff
be skeptical, youre wrong -- welcome back ...now kick rocks
:lol:

UCLA fans are clearly drooling all over this news, given the state of their '18 class, not to mention their program's direction more generally.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

How was he month to month with that kind of salary??
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Why is he so generous to Louisville/Pitino while so quick to call Arizona sleazy?
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Olsondogg wrote:
No one thinks SM knew/was involved/nodded an approval for what Book did. Not the FBI. Not a UCLA person, not any Arizona fan, no one.

Pasternak's cell phone was found calling into (or out from) the same people Book was talking with for those that don't know. Apparently Pasternak and Book were together once talking to those same guys.

There are some mysteries.

I never understood the Quinerly thing from the get-go. Why two PGs? Quinerly was UnderArmor I think? So what gives with Nike there?

It seems reasonable that any thinking man would wonder why Miller would be allowed to work undercover assisting the FBI w/o some deal involved. Unless, Miller intuitively surmised his staff was having too much success and he called the FBI, alarmed with his concerns.

And at that point Book was found jumping off the cliff.

That would make sense.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Everyone has a point where they can get greedy. Hell if my wife and I made that kind of scratch combined in Tucson we would have more money than we know what to do with (that's the plan when she becomes an NP!). But I look at people's finances all day long and see people who are lawyers, doctors, vice presidents etc who have 6 figure credit card debt and a dozen auto loans/leases and a 5k a month mortgage. It is amazing.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Longhorned wrote:
Why is he so generous to Louisville/Pitino while so quick to call Arizona sleazy?
Apparently Millers dick doesn't impress hum as much as Pitinos...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:
We need to get back to the good old days!

And during the Depression, too!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:People like to eat hot dogs, just don't want to see them made.
Not when you get older and it's automatic heartburn. :)

Damn the limits on analogies!
Right where I want to be.
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

https://www.scribd.com/document/3599701 ... from_embed" target="_blank

Go to page 37. It's a PDF and I can't cut and paste from it but it very clearly states Sood was going to meet with TWO coaches from School 4(arizona). If you read the whole thing the undercover agent clearly states the first coach is Book, the other one point 75 says there was 2 phone calls between Sood and "another individual who was then an assistant coach at University 4." 4 is Arizona, they already named one of the coaches as Book, the other one is clearly Pasternak. The meeting took place in early march, he took the UCSB job in late March, so at the time of the meeting he was a UA assitant, at the time of the report he was an ex UA coach thus the wording "then" coach at #4.

The USA today story on this the day it broke had really nice graphics https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 705183001/" target="_blank

very clearly states player 6 and player 7 are "at Arizona" and that's a current player.

The Turpin stuff absolutely happened, to this day longtime UK fans hate him, even though he's now dead, because he got them on probation. Also, quoting Michael beasley on this as someone did is funny, did people forget that Beasley already admitted under oath this mom got like 150K to go to K State? The assistant who recruited him got the money from an agent and paid it to his mom, Beasley later changed agents, got sued by the agent, and the whole thing ended up in court where under oath he admitted he got money http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... nsas-state" target="_blank

Someone else said it clearly states they didn't get paid, what it says is Sood told them both coaches were "interested in definitely working with us but want to wait until after the tournament before engaging with Sood and CW1. So yeah they absolutely have Sood on tape saying both Book and Pasternak indicated they were willing to take bribes, they just wanted to wait until after the tournament is over. If you want to quibble that Pasternak wasn't involved because he may have left before he actually got paid, ok, but he clearly INTENDED to take the bribe.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

scumdevils86 wrote:Everyone has a point where they can get greedy. Hell if my wife and I made that kind of scratch combined in Tucson we would have more money than we know what to do with (that's the plan when she becomes an NP!). But I look at people's finances all day long and see people who are lawyers, doctors, vice presidents etc who have 6 figure credit card debt and a dozen auto loans/leases and a 5k a month mortgage. It is amazing.

Hahaha I remember one of my first lessons out of college I was working in a cabinet shop and ended up running the place for like $5.00 an hour (was ok money back then...well sorta) so i asked my boss for a raise...he said "I will not be doing you any favors if I pay you more"...I'm like WTF???

He went on..."If I pay you more, you're just gonna spend more, and find out that it's never enough, you need to learn that you have enough already"...

It stuck with me...he did give me 50 cents more and he proved to be right...you just spend more if you make more.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
jajoyce wrote:
Looks like the progress in the investigation will slow down now
Are you sure this isn't investigating how they can also get a piece of the cash? That sounds more like Congress to me.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Russ Smith wrote:
Someone else said it clearly states they didn't get paid, what it says is Sood told them both coaches were "interested in definitely working with us but want to wait until after the tournament before engaging with Sood and CW1. So yeah they absolutely have Sood on tape saying both Book and Pasternak indicated they were willing to take bribes, they just wanted to wait until after the tournament is over. If you want to quibble that Pasternak wasn't involved because he may have left before he actually got paid, ok, but he clearly INTENDED to take the bribe.

I'll quibble...<quibble>it is Sood or someone else talking on tape that says this, it isn't Pasternak on tape saying he's interested in taking the money.</quibble>
gumby

Post by gumby »

Alieberman wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Everyone on here back in March would have taken another 3 wins even if they were vacated.

Don't feed me that bullshit that you wouldn't. Don't make me quote your bitching after that Xavier loss.
There are a lot of emotions flowing right now... and all are valid.

I'm just not sure I understand why people are seeming pissed at those wishing everything was on the up and up.
I'm not pissed...I just don't understand the naivety.
Really?

I mean, I'm not stupid... I knew there were some "shades of grey" type of deals being done behind the scenes... but no idea they were close to this level. I would guess most people were probably in this camp.
I am. Many are, including those who lashed back at Basnight or anyone else who suggested Olson and Miller landed players in nefarious ways. People did seem to mean it. Or maybe it was just tribal.

Hell, I don't know any more.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

scumdevils86 wrote:Everyone has a point where they can get greedy. Hell if my wife and I made that kind of scratch combined in Tucson we would have more money than we know what to do with (that's the plan when she becomes an NP!). But I look at people's finances all day long and see people who are lawyers, doctors, vice presidents etc who have 6 figure credit card debt and a dozen auto loans/leases and a 5k a month mortgage. It is amazing.
You are right. The auto lease thing is, indeed, amazing. It's a $600 lifetime bill. I've never understood it. But if one is 40 or younger I am amazed that people in california can even walk the streets. Rent money would buy 2 nice homes in Tucson.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Jefe wrote:Fairly quiet day

Full audio from Books hearing Tuesday. His lawyer is 90 years old...

His lawyer also represented dr. Bradley Schwartz, a pill head opthmologist who murdered his pediatric opthmologic colleague in 2004 with the help of a hitman, because his opioid addled brain feared his colleague was stealing patients. Never mind Schwartz wasn't allowed to practice at the time because his liscense was suspended by the state.

It was a big case in Tucson around the mid 2000s.

Hes doing 25 to life.
Wow, I even heard about that case and saw a crime show on it from over here....what a total scumbag that Dr. is. Thanks CST.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
jajoyce wrote:
Looks like the progress in the investigation will slow down now
Are you sure this isn't investigating how they can also get a piece of the cash? That sounds more like Congress to me.
Filibuster until April. Come on, McCain!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Russ Smith wrote:https://www.scribd.com/document/3599701 ... from_embed

Go to page 37. It's a PDF and I can't cut and paste from it but it very clearly states Sood was going to meet with TWO coaches from School 4(arizona). If you read the whole thing the undercover agent clearly states the first coach is Book, the other one point 75 says there was 2 phone calls between Sood and "another individual who was then an assistant coach at University 4." 4 is Arizona, they already named one of the coaches as Book, the other one is clearly Pasternak. The meeting took place in early march, he took the UCSB job in late March, so at the time of the meeting he was a UA assitant, at the time of the report he was an ex UA coach thus the wording "then" coach at #4.

The USA today story on this the day it broke had really nice graphics https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 705183001/" target="_blank

very clearly states player 6 and player 7 are "at Arizona" and that's a current player.

The Turpin stuff absolutely happened, to this day longtime UK fans hate him, even though he's now dead, because he got them on probation. Also, quoting Michael beasley on this as someone did is funny, did people forget that Beasley already admitted under oath this mom got like 150K to go to K State? The assistant who recruited him got the money from an agent and paid it to his mom, Beasley later changed agents, got sued by the agent, and the whole thing ended up in court where under oath he admitted he got money http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... nsas-state" target="_blank

Seriously, you're digging the hole deeper. You quote the interested with working with us, but the part about them not asking for anything is in the same paragraph, and ylu leave that out. Page 37 and 38 for those interested.

Player 6 and Player 7 are current Arizona players that Book says he can steer to Dawkins's company. There is no statement they were paid, just that Book was willing to try to funnel them to Dawkins.

Look, there is a lot to rip about Arizona, but you are straight wrong about your main points.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
Because he's an asshole who goes on emotion.
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:

I'll quibble...<quibble>it is Sood or someone else talking on tape that says this, it isn't Pasternak on tape saying he's interested in taking the money.</quibble>
So you are saying the FBI is using all this information but you get to pick and choose when we believe what Sood says? Sood didn't know his phone was tapped, Sood didn't know the FBI was on to him, but for some reason he chose to lie about Pasternak?

IS there a plausible reason why Sood would tell "CW1" that he called Pasternaks phone twice if Pasternak wasn't really involved? Are we to believe someone else was using that phone? If you read the whole thing your defense of Pasternak seems to be based on the part where Sood tells CW1 as of now the coaches haven't asked for anything but when the time comes they will? So again, you are believing Sood there, but not believing him where earlier he says both coaches indicated they were very much interested in the deal, just wanted to wait until after the tournament.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Screenshot ftr

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Seriously, you're digging the hole deeper. You quote the interested with working with us, but the part about them not asking for anything is in the same paragraph, and ylu leave that out. Page 37 and 38 for those interested.

Player 6 and Player 7 are current Arizona players that Book says he can steer to Dawkins's company. There is no statement they were paid, just that Book was willing to try to funnel them to Dawkins.

Look, there is a lot to rip about Arizona, but you are straight wrong about your main points.
Regarding players 6 and 7 - if they were paid, it'd be noted in the complaint... because the FBI was the one providing the bribe money and they would note that kind of thing (as they do throughout the complaint). You can therefore assume that they were never paid.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Russ Smith wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:

So you are saying the FBI is using all this information but you get to pick and choose when we believe what Sood says? Sood didn't know his phone was tapped, Sood didn't know the FBI was on to him, but for some reason he chose to lie about Pasternak?

IS there a plausible reason why Sood would tell "CW1" that he called Pasternaks phone twice if Pasternak wasn't really involved? Are we to believe someone else was using that phone? If you read the whole thing your defense of Pasternak seems to be based on the part where Sood tells CW1 as of now the coaches haven't asked for anything but when the time comes they will? So again, you are believing Sood there, but not believing him where earlier he says both coaches indicated they were very much interested in the deal, just wanted to wait until after the tournament.
At least you admit that the end point was that the other coach (who you think is Pasternak) didn't ask for anything and all of this is about what you think might happen after that but didn't actually happen.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Because he's an asshole who goes on emotion.
Maybe Vitale and Pitino both had uncles in the same familia.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Where did this Russ Smith come from? Why is it that Bruin fans are multiplying like cockroaches on here this week? Where were they when we spanked Lonzo in his final Pac game in March?

Priceless.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

His lawyer also represented dr. Bradley Schwartz, a pill head opthmologist who murdered his pediatric opthmologic colleague in 2004 with the help of a hitman, because his opioid addled brain feared his colleague was stealing patients. Never mind Schwartz wasn't allowed to practice at the time because his liscense was suspended by the state.

Hes doing 25 to life.
Wow, I even heard about that case and saw a crime show on it from over here....what a total scumbag that Dr. is. Thanks CST.
Not to hijack but the story gets crazier...Schwartz started banging the mom of one of his patients who turned out to be a deputy da in Tucson. He wrote her crazy doses of narcotics outside of clinic which she would pick up and give to him. The DEA crashed his office in 2001 and arrested him on 77counts of illegal prescribing of s controlled substance.

The night he was arrested for the murder he was found in bed Naked with yet another woman and they hauls his ass away so quickly his mugshot has a shirt on backwards.

Almost as good a story as the former dean of USC med school doing meth with an 21yo hooker in the deans office...opthomogist as well!

Now back to regularity scheduled programming.
gumby

Post by gumby »

zonagrad wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Maybe i missed it but if Miller already knew about the probe, why did FBI agents show up at his house for coffee at around the same time other places were raided? While this seems like a lot of resources thrown at something small, it seems like they didn't need to stop by his house if he was already in on it just to say hi? I doubt they were willing to risk Multiple years of investigating letting Miller in on it, unless he was wearing wires or something like that
Maybe Miller was getting raided and then the FBI didn't say anything about it for some reason.

Or maybe it was for the same reason the FBI showed up at exactly the same time at the home of the president of the University of Louisville: to inform him about what was about to happen.

The president of Louisville was the presumably innocent boss of a suspicious Athletics director.

Sean Miller was the presumably innocent boss of a suspicious assistant coach.
Correct. Tom Jurich's daughter got job with Adidas. It's not hard to see how all these relationships work. Jurich and Pitino were employees of Adidas just as much as they were employed by Louisville.
Yep. Kick them out of schools. Cancer.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Regarding players 6 and 7 - if they were paid, it'd be noted in the complaint... because the FBI was the one providing the bribe money and they would note that kind of thing (as they do throughout the complaint). You can therefore assume that they were never paid.
I mean, they could always have been paid by other sources...but the important point is Russ Smith is talking out of his butt.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Where did this Russ Smith come from? Why is it that Bruin fans are multiplying like cockroaches on here this week? Where were they when we spanked Lonzo in his final Pac game in March?

Priceless.
Why does it always come back to UCLA for you
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

This seems to be a common misconception...that the players Book is being hammered for steering to Dawkins got paid. Maybe they did, but that isn't part of the complaint. The complaint is Book receiving a kickback (the part of this that is illegal according to the FBI...the part that makes this an FBI investigation) to steer kids who are leaving school to go to the NBA to an agent. In those cases, unless the player was steered to the agent, signed with the agent, accepted money, then came back and played at Arizona, there would be no eligibility issue.

People are misreading all of this as "paying players". The FBI is not concerned about boosters giving money to players to play basketball. They are concerned with state employees committing crimes by receiving kickbacks.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Beachcat97 wrote:Where did this Russ Smith come from? Why is it that Bruin fans are multiplying like cockroaches on here this week? Where were they when we spanked Lonzo in his final Pac game in March?

Priceless.
C'mon Beachcat, you can do better than that. Let's hear the answers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

This seems to be a common misconception...that the players Book is being hammered for steering to Dawkins got paid. Maybe they did, but that isn't part of the complaint. The complaint is Book receiving a kickback (the part of this that is illegal according to the FBI...the part that makes this an FBI investigation) to steer kids who are leaving school to go to the NBA to an agent. In those cases, unless the player was steered to the agent, signed with the agent, accepted money, then came back and played at Arizona, there would be no eligibility issue.

People are misreading all of this as "paying players". The FBI is not concerned about boosters giving money to players to play basketball. They are concerned with state employees committing crimes by receiving kickbacks.
I would go further and say the players can be read as victims. Book took bribes to influence players towards this agency. The players being influenced are closer to victims of the bribery scheme unless they get $ from Book, which neither current player is alleged to have done.
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Actually I just posted the exact part you said I'm not posting, about Sood saying they haven't asked for anything yet but when the time comes they will. and again, this is AFTER he tells CW1 that both coaches made it clear they were interested in the deal absolutely, they just wanted to wait. If Pasternak wasn't involved why was Sood calling his cellphone right in the timeline Sood says this whole thing took place?

yes they're players Book was trying to steer to agents, that doesn't mean they weren't paid. Even on quinerly it's not clear to me how anybody knows how much money he was actually paid. Sood said Book said 15K to get him to commit, he didn't say all that money would go to Quinerly, in fact there's discussions in several of the complains where Dawkins tells coaches he doesn't care how they use the money, use it for recruits, take a vacation I don't care. So we have no idea if Book kept part of that 15K. But it also says that Book had already been "taking care of the recruit" which implies to me Book had already paid Quinerly money prior to the 15K thing happening.

In the part where they said we don't have to pay the one guy he's already been paid, to me that implies there is another player that has to be paid because he hasn't already been paid.

I'm not at all saying Arizona is any worse than anybody else is, I fully expect many other schools to get involved, including UCLA likely.

I don't know if Miller knew or not. The worst parts in this for miller are the part where Dawkisn says Miller wants Quinerly "Bad as f*ck" but it will take 15K to get him. He doesn't say Miller knew it was going to take 15K, but he doesn't say he didn't either, my guess is Miller is probably just fine there.

And the Nassir Little stuff where there was a bidding war between Miami and Arizona to get him. People are reporting Arizona offered him that money, to me it clearly suggesests a shoe company, Nike, did not Arizona. But that's also the case with Louisville and Bowen, nobody is saying Louisville paid him just that Adidas did. Te reason Pitino got in trouble there is he publicly admitted a shoe company exec called him up and asked him if he was interested in Bowen, he said yes. he said I didn't spend a dime on that recruitment he came to us. Given how highly rated Bowen was and how long Pitino has been doing this he HAD to know that was unusual. Miller had been on Little much longer so the situation is different but if Miami is being looked at by the FBI(and they say they are) over that bidding war, I would presume they're going to talk to arizona too. No proof Miller knew but just like everyone says about Pitino, it's awfully hard to be a huge control freak like Miller had no idea this was going on.
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

See my other reply on that point. They said one of the players had "already been paid" so they didn't need to pay him. The logical conclusion there is that one of the players had NOT already been paid but would be. Maybe he wasn't in fact paid but given the time frame it's pretty easy to assume he was.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Who was going to pay the 150k references in the report to little during the Miami recruitment? Arizona booster or Nike? Or is that just something Dawkins said but will end up being uncorroborated?

The perception in the article of the vitale tweet is that Arizona was going to pay, but I don't think its entirely accurate.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:

At least you admit that the end point was that the other coach (who you think is Pasternak) didn't ask for anything and all of this is about what you think might happen after that but didn't actually happen.
yes, now we just need YOU to admit that you're assuming Pasternak wasn't involved because Sood said he hadn't asked for anything yet, even though Sood also said coaches(that's plural as in more than 1) had clearly stated they were very interested, they just had to wait. Pasternak didn't say no I can't do that it's against the rules, he said wait until we're done playing. He clearly intended to take the money. That was early March, he got the UCSB job later that month, seems like getting that job worked to his advantage in his case since UCSB didn't have any players worth Sood bribing him
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote: Any thoughts on what charges they'll be brought up on? You see what Book was charged with? What circumstances are you envisioning here?

You are literally the only person I've seen accusing players, and family & friends of those players, of federal crimes that would precipitate them telling the FBI about other federal crimes. Tax evasion across the board?
If one of the assistants, or one of the Shoe Company people charged with one of the crimes involving fraud by causing an ineligible player to receive a scholarship implicates another assistant or head coach in that payment, I believe they would be equally subject to being charged.

I expect Pitino will be charged with either fraud or conspiracy to commit fraud.

I believe that that is precisely how continuing criminal investigations proceed, and the reason the FBI suggested that parties contact them before waiting to be contacted ("We have your playbook....")

I have yet to see any commentators who are not expecting the ongoing investigation to yield many more charges.

I may be mistaken that the players or their representatives who solicited or accepted payments are subject to criminal prosecution, but I fully expect that the FBI will attempt to interview them. I suspect that tax evasion would be a separate matter addressed by the IRS; that would be avoided by declaring the income, which declaration/documentation would then be available as evidence in the FBI prosecutions.

Do you see any of this differently?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Who was going to pay the 150k references in the report to little during the Mariano recruitment? Arizona booster or Nike? Or is that just something Dawkins said but will end up being uncorroborated?

The perception in the article of the vitale tweet is that Arizona was going to pay, but I don't think its entirely accurate.
The Miami people were saying they needed money for Nassir Little because Arizona was offering 150k. Little released a statement denying it.

That's pretty much it, and I don't know how you get further.
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

EVCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That's because the assumption is part of getting players to agree to be steered like that is paying them. If you read the Bland stuff with Melton it's quite clear they're saying Bland got 13K, he gave some of that to Melton, some of that to O'bannon and either kept the rest or gave it to someone else. When this story first broke USC fans thought it went to Bagley to try and get him and they were all happy it meant Duke might not get to play Bagley. now they think it was Taeshon Cherry. Bland may have simply pocked the rest of that money, but he paid some of it to 2 players he was intending to steer. That's the same MO that Evans used with his guy at OK State, gave players money as part of truying to control them so he could steer them to agents and and advisers. So what you're suggesting is Book was the only one of these coaches who took bribes to steer players but didn't have to give any of them money as part of that.

It COULD be correct, but it's not consistent with the rest of this entire story.
prh

Post by prh »

I think it's insane that people are running with that 150k quote as much as they are. Everyone who has ever been in negotiation with 2 entities always tries to sell them. Even if Arizona didn't offer anything, you think the Miami guy is gonna say that? That's laughable.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Russ Smith wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:

I'm simply clarifying your own thoughts for you, looking at the simple facts the way a judge and jury would, what we have is a known corrupt person saying things, that is ALL we have, are those things true? Are they false? We don't know all we know is a known liar said some shit, and based on that we cannot jump to the conclusion that Pasternak was guilty of intent or doing anything, we need more proof...and down that road a phone call to Soods phone is not evidence of anything other than a phone call this phone, what transpires in the phone call has not been revealed yet.

Basically I'm suggesting you hang up your robe and take off the white wig you are not versed enough to be judge jury and executioner here...none of us are since we don't have the actual wiretaps or anything more than a press release.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Russ Smith wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:

yes, now we just need YOU to admit that you're assuming Pasternak wasn't involved because Sood said he hadn't asked for anything yet, even though Sood also said coaches(that's plural as in more than 1) had clearly stated they were very interested, they just had to wait. Pasternak didn't say no I can't do that it's against the rules, he said wait until we're done playing. He clearly intended to take the money. That was early March, he got the UCSB job later that month, seems like getting that job worked to his advantage in his case since UCSB didn't have any players worth Sood bribing him
Pasternak strikes me as a guy not likely to get involved for the same reasons you or I wouldn't, Russ. It could be the last thing Pasternak did before leaving Arizona for UCSB is tell Sean Miller to watch out...Book may already have gone off the deep end.

As for what was said, the best way to get away from criminal behavior is to say "Let me think about it, sounds pretty interesting." Then run run run.

But we will find out...I hope soon.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Russ Smith wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:

That's not how it works. Pasternak didn't take anything and Sood said he thought he was interested in taking something in the future.

You don't do something wrong (under NCAA rules or any other set) when the furthest you get is Sood thinking you might ask for money in the future. The rest is something that could have happened, could not have happened and clearly did not actually happen.

I know you want to believe, but that isn't how this goes. Plus, you're 100% wrong on Player 6 and 7. They are named by number, and the player who is alleged to have previously been paid is not.

I'm done with this stuff. If you want to troll, grow a better brain.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Hes doing 25 to life.

Not to hijack but the story gets crazier...Schwartz started banging the mom of one of his patients who turned out to be a deputy da in Tucson. He wrote her crazy doses of narcotics outside of clinic which she would pick up and give to him. The DEA crashed his office in 2001 and arrested him on 77counts of illegal prescribing of s controlled substance.

The night he was arrested for the murder he was found in bed Naked with yet another woman and they hauls his ass away so quickly his mugshot has a shirt on backwards.

Almost as good a story as the former dean of USC med school doing meth with an 21yo hooker in the deans office...opthomogist as well!

Now back to regularity scheduled programming.
Holy Crap if this guy is still practicing law after all that then he is a legal genius...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Pasternak seems like he's too smart to do this type of payments. He'd simply give money instead of taking bribe money for pushing kids to sports agents/financial advisors.

If he did it of course,