lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: lets talk '16

Post by Beachcat97 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
My argument was that while RA would be an awesome get and we would be really good, I want more for next year and landing JJ is the big difference because he can be ELITE at both ends of the floor.
Yes.

Give me:

KA
AT
JJ
RS
DR

Bench: PJC, JS, KS, LM, CC
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I agree completely with your evaluation of his game. I'm just not sure he has enough time to clearly demonstrate what will get him into the 1st. I haven't seen a mock with him there yet.
Think it'll come down to how eager AT is to get to the NBA. He can get there this year, but his draft stock could rise in '17.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote: Nah, but there's a huge leap between being the non-unanimous best player in your high school class and the top pick in the NBA draft. Lots of competition and games to be played between the two events.
Things tend to work themselves out. Everyone was sweating Wiggins.. then his "stock dropped" and he supposedly was not only out of being the top pick, some people thought he could drop more. We all saw how that ended though. Guys like this have to really really mess up. And I simply don't see that happening for him in an Arizona or Michigan State jersey unless he does something really really dumb off the court.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:I actually do think Trier is a 1st rounder. I think great teams with a 1st would line up to select him. He's proven to have developing skills that fit modern analytic basketball, in that he shoots it well from deep and get to the FT line at a high rate and can score in bursts despite not having an overwhelming usage rate.

He's got a few things against him. If he was 6-7 he'd go lottery. But 6-4 guards are a norm anymore, even at SG it's pretty common.
See, I'm just not sure. If you compare Allonzo to guys like Grayson Allen or Dwayne Bacon, does he rise above them? Neither of them are 2016 first rounders at this point. The more the hand reduces his sample size, the more he has to prove.

I agree completely with your evaluation of his game. I'm just not sure he has enough time to clearly demonstrate what will get him into the 1st. I haven't seen a mock with him there yet.
Well NBADraft.net (i know) has him as 25th pick in 2016 draft. Draftexpress has him as 2nd round pick 2 in that very deep 2017 draft. Don't think it's that much of a stretch. I think Allen and Bacon would both be mid to late teens picks if they declared this year, don't you?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

If you're mocked 25-40 in 2017, you should do due diligence and explore opportunities of being 15-30 range in 2016, because, honestly, I think that's the difference twixt two drafts.

If Trier is mocked 28-35 range in 2017 drafts come end of season, then he should leave, because it likely means he'd be selected 20-30 guaranteed in 2016, no matter what mocks say.

I typically ignore NBAdraft.net, but it's mostly because they guess, but sometimes they guess right.

If Givony has him 2017, it's likely based on old info that Trier was staying two years, or he thinks the hand injury is a set back that keeps him in college a second year, because it's clear he thinks highly of Trier, because a 31-35 rank in 2017 is 21-25 rank in almost every other draft.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:I actually do think Trier is a 1st rounder. I think great teams with a 1st would line up to select him. He's proven to have developing skills that fit modern analytic basketball, in that he shoots it well from deep and get to the FT line at a high rate and can score in bursts despite not having an overwhelming usage rate.

He's got a few things against him. If he was 6-7 he'd go lottery. But 6-4 guards are a norm anymore, even at SG it's pretty common.
See, I'm just not sure. If you compare Allonzo to guys like Grayson Allen or Dwayne Bacon, does he rise above them? Neither of them are 2016 first rounders at this point. The more the hand reduces his sample size, the more he has to prove.

Well NBADraft.net (i know) has him as 25th pick in 2016 draft. Draftexpress has him as 2nd round pick 2 in that very deep 2017 draft. Don't think it's that much of a stretch. I think Allen and Bacon would both be mid to late teens picks if they declared this year, don't you?
Huh. Hadn't seen him jump in nbadraft.net. I checked a few weeks back and didn't see him and it surprises me he moved up while hurt.

I don't know. For guys like Allen, Bacon and Trier, they do not have the measurables and potential that puts them in that place. They need the on court demonstration to get there. That's why I think they would jump Zo, because they are producing while he sits.

Where Allonzo winds up, IMO, has everything to do with how he plays when he is back. I have difficulty seeing him being measurably higher stock wise than draftexpress's current players 20-30.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/" target="_blank
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Merkin wrote:With the new NCAA and NBA rules this year I don't think Trier will get an invite to the camps unless he really blows up in the tourney.

I really doubt Trier is afraid of competition at the college level though.
But he can workout for NBA teams. I think he has a shot at the combine if he comes back and plays like he was. Either way, put him in a workout against a few guys and tell me he isnt going to wow a few teams with his ability to win 1v1.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

There's no question that the injury is slowing AT's path to the pros. He's missing some high profile games (vs. Cal, vs. Oregon), where NBA scouts have been/will be in attendance. But if he returns in a few weeks and picks up where he left off, it's hard to imagine him not testing the waters.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

JMarkJohns wrote:If you're mocked 25-40 in 2017, you should do due diligence and explore opportunities of being 15-30 range in 2016, because, honestly, I think that's the difference twixt two drafts.

If Trier is mocked 28-35 range in 2017 drafts come end of season, then he should leave, because it likely means he'd be selected 20-30 guaranteed in 2016, no matter what mocks say.

I typically ignore NBAdraft.net, but it's mostly because they guess, but sometimes they guess right.

If Givony has him 2017, it's likely based on old info that Trier was staying two years, or he thinks the hand injury is a set back that keeps him in college a second year, because it's clear he thinks highly of Trier, because a 31-35 rank in 2017 is 21-25 rank in almost every other draft.
I still point to his vision, passing, AST% and to some degree his defense as the sticking points to his expanded game. I think he's developing as a defender and this he can be solid in time. Its his ability to create for others that needs to improve. Still, he's going to be a knock down shooter who can also create his own shot, get to the rim and draw fouls.

If you can get a guy who can shoot, create and draw fouls in the late first thats a pretty good find.

We'll see what actually happens, but workouts are going to be big.

-Shane Battier
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

can someone send zo this article?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... etting-nba" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.basket.fi/english/competitio ... eague_id=2" target="_blank

63% FGs 38% 3s 85% FTs

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
His primary argument was Jackson loves and wants to play defense, which would infer that Alkins doesn't, that's all I was getting at. I fully comprehend that one player is a future NBA All Star and the other is likely a future possible NBA starter/role player.
No, my primary argument was that the last few years our superstar defensive players didn't have the all-around offensive firepower that it would appear JJ has and that's what was missing. If RHJ was the same defensive player but had Trier's offense, maybe we beat Wisconsin last year. Same with AG and the year before.

My argument was that while RA would be an awesome get and we would be really good, I want more for next year and landing JJ is the big difference because he can be ELITE at both ends of the floor.
Fair enough and I agree.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

TucsonClip wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:If you're mocked 25-40 in 2017, you should do due diligence and explore opportunities of being 15-30 range in 2016, because, honestly, I think that's the difference twixt two drafts.

I still point to his vision, passing, AST% and to some degree his defense as the sticking points to his expanded game. I think he's developing as a defender and this he can be solid in time. Its his ability to create for others that needs to improve. Still, he's going to be a knock down shooter who can also create his own shot, get to the rim and draw fouls.

If you can get a guy who can shoot, create and draw fouls in the late first thats a pretty good find.

I'll admit, I haven't paid as close attention as maybe you have, but in what I've seen I wouldn't say Trier is a bad passer, more of a reluctant, hesitant passer, likely because he has the alpha mindset that no other shot has a higher percentage of going in than his shot has.

Sometimes that's a detriment. Sometimes it's teammates. This team isn't great. It's good. Has upside, but in many cases, I think Trier's iffy shot is just as likely to go in or draw a foul than a perimeter shot from a teammate.

I think if Trier were on last year's team or next year's team, his passing increases, and vision "improves".
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Beermancats wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Beermancats wrote:I love the speculation on our lineup for next year, but I think the majority of you guys are overlooking LM, big time. I don't see a situation where he isn't starting next year. He might be the best player on the team even with AT returning, a healthy RS, and JJ.

Without actually saying it, CSM insinuated that LM would be ranked in the top 5, maybe number 1, had he been a US high school student.
Absolutely not. LM better than JJ??? CSM has never insinuated that, nor would he because that would be fucking crazy talk
First of all, I said MIGHT.

Secondly, Check out the video of CSM discussing LM.
http://watch.scout.com/video-sean-mille ... -markkanan" target="_blank

At the :30 mark, he states that LM is as talented as any player he has recruited while at Arizona.
At the very end he talks about where LM would be ranked if he were a United States HS prospect. In my opinion, he is holding back from saying that he would be rated as the number 1 overall player and At the very least a top 5 prospect.
I know what you said. And I have seen that video. And I couldn't disagree with you more. There's NO chance Lauri MIGHT be the best player on the team next year. Coach speak is a very real thing. CSM is the best at coach speak. And he is coach speaking about Lauri. Doesn't mean he's not a great player with a TON of potential and hopefully an impact player right away, but JJ is a #1 draft pick in a LOADED draft type that is on another level from LM.
I could not possibly disagree more with the part in bold.

I love Miller, and a big part of the reason why I do is I don't think we have ever had a coach in any sport who is more candid and honest than Miller, Praise when it's earned, criticism when it is deserved... Does not shy away from expectations when he expects a lot, and says we are overrated when we are. He does not blow smoke up anyone's ass, and he sure as shit has not made any public promises he does not intend to keep.

He has his players' backs in the public eye / media, but I would hardly call that coach speak. The only thing I can think of that might classify as 'coachspeak' were his comments about Tollefsen and his defensive abilities.
Beermancats

Post by Beermancats »

Harvey Specter wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Beermancats wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Beermancats wrote:I love the speculation on our lineup for next year, but I think the majority of you guys are overlooking LM, big time. I don't see a situation where he isn't starting next year. He might be the best player on the team even with AT returning, a healthy RS, and JJ.

Without actually saying it, CSM insinuated that LM would be ranked in the top 5, maybe number 1, had he been a US high school student.
Absolutely not. LM better than JJ??? CSM has never insinuated that, nor would he because that would be fucking crazy talk

At the :30 mark, he states that LM is as talented as any player he has recruited while at Arizona.
At the very end he talks about where LM would be ranked if he were a United States HS prospect. In my opinion, he is holding back from saying that he would be rated as the number 1 overall player and At the very least a top 5 prospect.
I know what you said. And I have seen that video. And I couldn't disagree with you more. There's NO chance Lauri MIGHT be the best player on the team next year. Coach speak is a very real thing. CSM is the best at coach speak. And he is coach speaking about Lauri. Doesn't mean he's not a great player with a TON of potential and hopefully an impact player right away, but JJ is a #1 draft pick in a LOADED draft type that is on another level from LM.

I love Miller, and a big part of the reason why I do is I don't think we have ever had a coach in any sport who is more candid and honest than Miller, Praise when it's earned, criticism when it is deserved... Does not shy away from expectations when he expects a lot, and says we are overrated when we are. He does not blow smoke up anyone's ass, and he sure as shit has not made any public promises he does not intend to keep.

He has his players' backs in the public eye / media, but I would hardly call that coach speak. The only thing I can think of that might classify as 'coachspeak' were his comments about Tollefsen and his defensive abilities.
Nailed it
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Harvey Specter wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Beermancats wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

I never said Sean Miller coach speaks all the time. But we've all heard him say things like "Boise St will be our toughest challenge of the year" type statements. That's coach speak. That's talking up your opponent so that your guys stay focused. Sean is the best at it.

And Beermancats is right, it's not coach speak in the video (I rewatched it because the last time I saw it was the day it came out), but if CSM thought Lauri was the best player in the country he WOULD have said it. Being really really good and being better than JJ are two very different things.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Beermancats wrote:

I never said Sean Miller coach speaks all the time. But we've all heard him say things like "Boise St will be our toughest challenge of the year" type statements. That's coach speak. That's talking up your opponent so that your guys stay focused. Sean is the best at it.

And Beermancats is right, it's not coach speak in the video (I rewatched it because the last time I saw it was the day it came out), but if CSM thought Lauri was the best player in the country he WOULD have said it. Being really really good and being better than JJ are two very different things.
Showing respect for your opponent is not something I would classify as coachspeak.

As for your specific example, who would you have classified as a tougher test up to that point in the season... Pacific or Bradley?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

JMarkJohns wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

I'll admit, I haven't paid as close attention as maybe you have, but in what I've seen I wouldn't say Trier is a bad passer, more of a reluctant, hesitant passer, likely because he has the alpha mindset that no other shot has a higher percentage of going in than his shot has.

Sometimes that's a detriment. Sometimes it's teammates. This team isn't great. It's good. Has upside, but in many cases, I think Trier's iffy shot is just as likely to go in or draw a foul than a perimeter shot from a teammate.

I think if Trier were on last year's team or next year's team, his passing increases, and vision "improves".
Right, I wouldn't say he is a bad passer, but that he doesn't look to pass. Now you can view that in multiple ways, and I didnt watch much of him on Team USA, but he's going to have to show that he is a willing passer to upgrade his stock in that department.

-Shane Battier
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

What a disaster of a game to be hosting RA!!! Smh.....so disappointing.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

McKale was LOUD. The outcome wasn't what we wanted, but I promise you he was watching us tonight and thinking about all of the ways his talents could have helped this team win tonight. Yea, and McKale was LOUD. Most energy this season by far, would have been nuts had it ended differently
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

rgdeuce wrote:McKale was LOUD. The outcome wasn't what we wanted, but I promise you he was watching us tonight and thinking about all of the ways his talents could have helped this team win tonight. Yea, and McKale was LOUD. Most energy this season by far, would have been nuts had it ended differently
Thanks for this rgdeuce.....one more step away from ledge for me lol. Man, this loss hurts the most so far this season.....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce wrote:McKale was LOUD. The outcome wasn't what we wanted, but I promise you he was watching us tonight and thinking about all of the ways his talents could have helped this team win tonight. Yea, and McKale was LOUD. Most energy this season by far, would have been nuts had it ended differently
It showed up on TV, especially all the questionable calls, secondly when they showed them on the Jumbotron and the crowd was correct.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Just how bad was the officiating last night? From my seats, they were god awful, but the audience at home has the better view.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Just how bad was the officiating last night? From my seats, they were god awful, but the audience at home has the better view.
The coverage wasn't great for determining. There weren't a ton of replays on some of the calls I had issues with. I really had a problem with the blocking call where Benjamin threw himself into the defender in the opposite direction from the rim, but no replay.

Yeah, I don't really see the loss as mattering to Alkins. It was a good atmosphere and I assume most recruits are thinking they'll change the scoreboard if/when they're here.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:
That would surprise me.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not sure how Pitts fits in.

GY, KA, PJC, JS, AT...all of these guys are ahead of him, and that's not changing. Pitts is bigger than PJC, so maybe it's better defensively?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pitts can't score, and what good is a wing who can't shoot? I know this season's team is a pretty sorry lot of defenders, but you still have to score more than the other team to win. He may be a better defender than the current set of players, but he is still no Nick Johnson TJ McConnell, Rondae, or AG.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Pitts can't score, and what good is a wing who can't shoot? I know this season's team is a pretty sorry lot of defenders, but you still have to score more than the other team to win. He may be a better defender than the current set of players, but he is still no Nick Johnson TJ McConnell, Rondae, or AG.
Right. So again, I'm not really seeing how he fits in, unless CSM wants to start subbing in 5 new players at every timeout.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would play Pitts ahead of Simon IF his problems were behind him. I think he would shoot it better and he understands what Miller wants on the defensive end. Simon still appears to me as lost at times.

We get Trier and Pitts back and I think we can do some damage
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:I would play Pitts ahead of Simon IF his problems were behind him. I think he would shoot it better and he understands what Miller wants on the defensive end. Simon still appears to me as lost at times.

We get Trier and Pitts back and I think we can do some damage
You have to honor Pitts from 3 based on previous years, I would think. You don't have to do that with Simon. I think Pitts has a better sense of team D at this point.

Simon has higher upside, but Pitts is one who won't win the game, but he won't lose it either. Plus, he allows us to use depth a little more. It isn't huge, but it would offer advantages to have Pitts back.
Zero

Post by Zero »

84Cat wrote:
Can any one say what the tweet said? It is gone
gumby

Post by gumby »

My guess. Maybe there was photo evidence.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I still see the tweet text, just not the tweet itself. Basically just that Pitts may be back this year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He still practices with the team on a daily basis.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Zero wrote:
84Cat wrote:
So it looks like Javier took down the tweet. It seemed to come out of nowhere when he tweeted it. He basically said Pitts could still be back this year & that we could be back to full strength soon.
Zero

Post by Zero »

84Cat wrote:
Zero wrote:
84Cat wrote:
So it looks like Javier took down the tweet. It seemed to come out of nowhere when he tweeted it. He basically said Pitts could still be back this year & that we could be back to full strength soon.
Ahhh! Thank you.
gumby

Post by gumby »

As long as he's dressed ...
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The lady who sits next to my wife had a real zinger for EP at the last game. I was using the pisser so I missed it, but it was when they do those funny player profile things at halftime (eg: who would you most like to meet, celebrity crush, etc) and they did his. After it flashed on the jumbotron, what is your favorite pre-game ritual and gave his answer, she said out loud, "How would he remember?" It's funny because she is past retirement age, has been a diehard season ticket holder forever, and is just about the sweetest person you will ever meet.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:The lady who sits next to my wife had a real zinger for EP at the last game. I was using the pisser so I missed it, but it was when they do those funny player profile things at halftime (eg: who would you most like to meet, celebrity crush, etc) and they did his. After it flashed on the jumbotron, what is your favorite pre-game ritual and gave his answer, she said out loud, "How would he remember?" It's funny because she is past retirement age, has been a diehard season ticket holder forever, and is just about the sweetest person you will ever meet.

It may be wrong, but it's been hard not to detach from EP as a future Wildcat as this goes on.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

If it's what I think it is (and I am sure I am at least in the same ballpark), kind of wish it would be known so people would be more understanding of it all. But yea, a lot of people see that we could use his defense/hustle and the depth and leadership he could help provide, and he's been MIA for a "personal issue" forever, but then see him laughing on the bench and joking with his teammates.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Maybe EP knocked up a DG, and she's keeping it?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:If it's what I think it is (and I am sure I am at least in the same ballpark), kind of wish it would be known so people would be more understanding of it all. But yea, a lot of people see that we could use his defense/hustle and the depth and leadership he could help provide, and he's been MIA for a "personal issue" forever, but then see him laughing on the bench and joking with his teammates.
While he sits, Simon plays, Kobi commits and we continue to pursue JJ. It just feels like the situation has passed Pitts by for better or worse.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Beachcat97 wrote:Maybe EP knocked up a DG, and she's keeping it?
you mean gamma phi? :D

agree with @azcat49 up above re: pitts being a better defensive fit in CSM's mind. beyond the usual fouling on a 3pt shot attempt, i mean.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dirtbags wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Maybe EP knocked up a DG, and she's keeping it?
you mean gamma phi? :D

agree with @azcat49 up above re: pitts being a better defensive fit in CSM's mind. beyond the usual fouling on a 3pt shot attempt, i mean.
Whatever it is, it's obviously personal, but not so personally upsetting that it's kept him from participating with the team and even enjoying himself. You got me.

Hope he's fine and ready to play soon.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wow. He's got game. Put him alongside JJ, RS, and AT...pretty sure good things are gonna happen.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I can see why Miller likes him. The one hedge they showed where he stuck with the ball handler, picked his pocket, then took it in for the easy slam was impressive.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Wow, that guy looks like a great player. He looks like he has bulked up a little too and definitely looks like a guy who can put on more weight. Moves really well for someone with his height and great shooting stroke.

Excited to see him next year
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He's always been long and skilled, but he's filling out now. He should be good.