let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BeardownZonaZona

Re: let's talk '20

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:32 am Unless Akinjo has a pro opportunity somewhere right now, I can't really see how there's a better opportunity than the one he has with AZ.
He doesn't qualify for the no sit out rule either because he already transfered once. I bet he would be able to get a waiver done easily but still. I would think it'd be a European offer or Arizona
I said what I said and I mean it.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If a coach leaves I think you will get a waiver as you should.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

That is an interesting development, didn't both baker and akinjo sit out a year with their last transfers? Akinjo maybe transferred in the end of the first semester so only had to sit out a partial.

I wonder if they will grant waivers to play immediately to those who have transferred and had to wait out a year already since they didn't get the benefit of this rule. I can see if someone received a waiver already the ncaa could not let them play right away.
I don't know anything, just speculating.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Was Kerr enrolled in the Fall? Or was he playing euro ball then?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
ekat

Post by ekat »

MountainCat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:58 pm Was Kerr enrolled in the Fall? Or was he playing euro ball then?
He was enrolled, but ineligible because the NCAA are a bunch of idiots. That’s why he went and played that Euro tourney.
Dave

Post by Dave »

This doesn't make sense at all. Brown entered the portal and committed to UW before Miller was fired.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Can student-athletes transfer without penalties if a coach leaves the program?

A student-athlete can transfer at any time; however, the student-athlete may have to sit out from competition the first year at the new school unless he or she can meet an exception. A limited exception does exist to allow a first-time incoming student-athlete (i.e., a true freshman) to compete the first year at a new school if a head coaching change occurred during the summer before the student’s first fall semester at the original school.
https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... -transfers
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I thought everyone could transfer and play right away after most recent season?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:09 pm I thought everyone could transfer and play right away after most recent season?
They can, unless you transferred before like Akinjo and Baker did. I imagine both will petition to play immediately due to coaching changes which I expect to be granted.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... mmediately

The Division I Council granted a blanket waiver allowing all transfer student-athletes to compete immediately this season if specific criteria are met.

In order to be eligible for the waiver, the transfer student-athletes must meet the following conditions:

They must be enrolled full time at the school for the fall 2020 term.
It must be the first transfer from a four-year school.
The student-athlete must have left their previous school in good standing academically and not facing disciplinary suspension.
Both the head coach and the student-athlete must certify that impermissible recruiting did not take place.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Ah, didn’t realize there was that caveat.