Post by goslingswagg »

PHXCATS wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
whatisee wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
84Cat wrote:Alabama beat #13 Kentucky today
Thanks for the repeat
Are you a cunt 100% of the time?
No Machina I won’t ban him for this. It’s a legitimate question. Please answer the question
I never am

But thanks for admitting you are targeting me and selectively applying rules.
this dude sucks and it is starting to make this board worse. just my opinion.
Bangkok Wildcat

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Newportcat wrote:Guys

It’s really hard to ignore machina when he is such a cunt in what he says that you guys have to all quote him all the time

It’s like he rents space in my brain or he pays property taxes on my brain or he says such stupid shit all the fucking time so I can never get away from him.

And oh nice win today even though it didn’t count since it’s not the elite 8 yet

Have we fired miller yet?
Exactly.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'll be fine with 25 more 1 point wins.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:You know you are good when people change the rules for you.
If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole.

If you run into assholes all day, you’re the asshole.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I thought it was a good game yesterday. I thought for the most part the defense was good and Utah was just making good shots when they were defended well. Just have to make more free throws in the clutch moments.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:You know you are good when people change the rules for you.
If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole.

If you run into assholes all day, you’re the asshole.

DO NOT GET ME GOIN' with Raylan Givens memes!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Seems like the best chance of a road sweep would be this week. Need these wins at Cal and Stanford.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

DrWildcat wrote:Seems like the best chance of a road sweep would be this week. Need these wins at Cal and Stanford.
Minor prediction: the Pac team with the best road record this year will win the league. Not really going out on a limb, as this is probably what happens with most Pac champions. It just feels like road wins are gonna be harder to get than usual this year.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

If we can just grind at Maples like we have been, and not totally shoot ourselves in the head in Berkeley, a bit of momentum starts. And I think that is super important to this team. It's such a disparate group, thrown together in a second and held together with tape and hope...the talent, individually, is good enough to win this particular conference, but we seem incredibly streaky both shooting and on defense. We will string together 10 minutes of great defense or lights out shooting, then fall back. Some of it seems to be a lack of familiarity with each other. And confidence together.

If we string together some wins in conference, and get that feeling of being king of the hill again, I think it can go a long way with this team maybe more than others. They have heard how they are the forgotten team, "Not Arizona Good", a one year placeholder, etc...giving them some swagger might be just the right thing...

And time. We are going to get better as the season progresses. We have to...familiarity will increase cohesiveness on the court...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:If we can just grind at Maples like we have been, and not totally shoot ourselves in the head in Berkeley, a bit of momentum starts. And I think that is super important to this team. It's such a disparate group, thrown together in a second and held together with tape and hope...the talent, individually, is good enough to win this particular conference, but we seem incredibly streaky both shooting and on defense. We will string together 10 minutes of great defense or lights out shooting, then fall back. Some of it seems to be a lack of familiarity with each other. And confidence together.

If we string together some wins in conference, and get that feeling of being king of the hill again, I think it can go a long way with this team maybe more than others. They have heard how they are the forgotten team, "Not Arizona Good", a one year placeholder, etc...giving them some swagger might be just the right thing...

And time. We are going to get better as the season progresses. We have to...familiarity will increase cohesiveness on the court...
Getting road wins would be huge for this team. Stanford should be a close, tough game. We need to do the things we did vs Utah to take that.

Cal is bad. I'd be really disappointed with an L. It might kill our bubble chances.

D and rebounding is always #1. That gives us a chance.
Getting our younger guys to produce offensively, especially vs a zone, is what enables us to beat decent teams. We did it vs Utah and that got us the W even though they were red hot from 3.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

And we have all the tools to shred a zone.

You see it every once in a while. A perfect set.

Then two possessions later, someone (Randolph?) will try to drive through 3 guys and get ripped. Or we will get the 4 passes on the perimeter, each stopping for a second to look at a shot, allowing the zone to regain shape.

A zone allows the offensive player the time to know what he wants to do. The defense isn't going to dictate your move as much as man to man. Nothing pisses me off more than the catch and pause against a zone when the ball is being swung. They are losing shape, so go on the catch. Is that a shot? Is that a drive? Is your big coming up to the elbow? Are you running a cutter? What are you going to do? Don't just catch the ball and stop and give a half ass fake shot then swing to the next spot...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

DrWildcat wrote:Seems like the best chance of a road sweep would be this week. Need these wins at Cal and Stanford.
Agree. Toughest to easiest road trips
So Cal Schools
asu
Mountain Schools
Oregon Schools
Nor Cal Schools

Getting one or two sweeps would be huge and great insurance
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:If we can just grind at Maples like we have been, and not totally shoot ourselves in the head in Berkeley, a bit of momentum starts. And I think that is super important to this team. It's such a disparate group, thrown together in a second and held together with tape and hope...the talent, individually, is good enough to win this particular conference, but we seem incredibly streaky both shooting and on defense. We will string together 10 minutes of great defense or lights out shooting, then fall back. Some of it seems to be a lack of familiarity with each other. And confidence together.

Getting road wins would be huge for this team. Stanford should be a close, tough game. We need to do the things we did vs Utah to take that.

Cal is bad. I'd be really disappointed with an L. It might kill our bubble chances.

Getting our younger guys to produce offensively, especially vs a zone, is what enables us to beat decent teams. We did it vs Utah and that got us the W even though they were red hot from 3.
USC killed Stanford inside. I suspect the Cardinal will show some zone against us to shore up their shortfalls in the paint. We're not exactly bulky inside either but we should be quicker than Stanford and hopefully can turn them over a decent amount.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

While I think this team can do better because 1) I think this team has shown good offense, defense and rebounding at times, they just havent put it together well for long stretches of time yet and 2) PAC-12 is pretty bad right now, I think 13-5 is the magic number to feel comfortable with an at large bid.

Win the 9 at home and 4 of 9 on the road is the easy simply way to view it. A sweep this weekend helps greatly to get those four road wins
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

USC killed Stanford inside. I suspect the Cardinal will show some zone against us to shore up their shortfalls in the paint. We're not exactly bulky inside either but we should be quicker than Stanford and hopefully can turn them over a decent amount.
That gives me hope vs Stanford. We're not exactly loaded on the interior, so our weakness matches theirs. I think we have a higher talent level on the perimeter, and would be happy to have the game decided there.

Stanford runs a lot through Davis. If we can make him inefficient, that will go a long ways.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That gives me hope vs Stanford. We're not exactly loaded on the interior, so our weakness matches theirs. I think we have a higher talent level on the perimeter, and would be happy to have the game decided there.

Stanford runs a lot through Davis. If we can make him inefficient, that will go a long ways.
Hopefully Ira Lee can step it up a little bit more and give us those tough minutes inside the paint. Stats havent necessarily shown it but I feel like he has stepped it up the last few games. A little bit more would go a really long way for this team.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

So I break it up into two 9-game seasons in conference.

I think 13-5 is a realistic goal this year. That means at least a 6-3/7-2 split in some way shape or form.

Given the fact the next 5 out of 7 games are on the road the worst scenario would be going 4-3. 5-2 would give a little more breathing room relatively speaking and we will be in a better position to do so if we sweep the bay area schools this week.

At the LA schools and at the scums certainly won't be easy that's for sure.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

While we aren't loaded, Jeter & Lee's last homestand gives me a lot of confidence. Lee played 26 total minutes and didn't commit a personal foul. Meanwhile, Jeter & Lee drew 15 fouls. That's impressive and bodes well going forward.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I agree with Chi that Lee has looked the best he's ever looked recently. He was very solid vs Utah. Finished all his chances, was aggressive without fouling and gave us necessary minutes.

Jeter has given that all year. He seems to be learning how not to reach and foul on penetration, which is helping him avoid the foul trouble that marked his OOC play.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

I am glad my eyes did not deceive me. I thought we were playing out best when Jeter and Lee were on the floor together in the first half. Was surprised CSM went more to Luther in the second half than Lee.

Worked out, but I thought Lee needed more burn.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

baycat93 wrote:I am glad my eyes did not deceive me. I thought we were playing out best when Jeter and Lee were on the floor together in the first half. Was surprised CSM went more to Luther in the second half than Lee.

Worked out, but I thought Lee needed more burn.
I understand Luther, given that they played a lot of zone and Luther is a perimeter threat in a way Lee isn't. I would have liked to see more Lee too, but zone is a tough D to put Lee and Jeter together against because neither is a shooter or really a great high post player.

Miller went offense/defense with Luther and Akot at the 4 down the stretch and that was fairly effective in cutting down on some of the looks we'd been giving up.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I just want Jeter to get a touch in the post on every possession. It doesn't mean he needs to force a shot -- just get the ball inside in the post and then things start to happen as the defense collapses and driving lanes open up. It was the same story when we had Channing Frye. If they would just get the ball inside, then everyone gets better looks rather than trying to create shots from the perimeter.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

zonagrad wrote:I just want Jeter to get a touch in the post on every possession. It doesn't mean he needs to force a shot -- just get the ball inside in the post and then things start to happen as the defense collapses and driving lanes open up. It was the same story when we had Channing Frye. If they would just get the ball inside, then everyone gets better looks rather than trying to create shots from the perimeter.
I’m not sure I’m comfortable enough just yet with Jeter’s passing out of the post to justify him getting 40-50 some-odd touches.

In addition, our best play the last two games has been that weak side clear-out isolation for Williams and Randolph.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:I just want Jeter to get a touch in the post on every possession. It doesn't mean he needs to force a shot -- just get the ball inside in the post and then things start to happen as the defense collapses and driving lanes open up. It was the same story when we had Channing Frye. If they would just get the ball inside, then everyone gets better looks rather than trying to create shots from the perimeter.
I’m not sure I’m comfortable enough just yet with Jeter’s passing out of the post to justify him getting 40-50 some-odd touches.

In addition, our best play the last two games has been that weak side clear-out isolation for Williams and Randolph.
I just think good things happen when you get the ball inside. And it doesn't have to be Jeter. Hell, I'm ok with us inverting the guards and Randolph or Akot to get people moving. I just hate it when we pass the ball around the perimeter without attacking. Then we become so easy to guard.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Book ain’t ratting. Snitches get ditches, book knows that

If he rats, he will never work in basketball again in any capacity
See Book isnt Ratting. He wants to coach again as he needs to to support his family
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

cats101

Post by cats101 »

Kind of hard to believe UA has beaten Stanford 17 straight meetings. As a matter of fact, I don't believe the Trees have won against the Cats since we expanded to the PAC-12. The only other school being WSU (who remembers that 37 game winning streak?). This will be the first match that Arizona isn't ranked against Furd since 2013.

Was once a big rivalry when Monty was there, now a game that I just pray we don't lose on the road tomorrow. Hope I didn't just jinx us.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Wasn't their last win against us that half court shot at the buzzer with Tiger in attendance?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

EastCoastCat wrote:Wasn't their last win against us that half court shot at the buzzer with Tiger in attendance?
Not quite that far back. 1/4/2009 was the last win for them over Arizona
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote:Wasn't their last win against us that half court shot at the buzzer with Tiger in attendance?
I hate when people trigger very unpleasant memories! Just awful end of game.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
I hate when people trigger very unpleasant memories! Just awful end of game.

I watched that daytime game in my pathetic studio apartment in Isla Vista, all alone. And when it was over, I laid back on my bed staring up at my dreary, smoke-stained popcorn ceiling, and digested my feelings in isolation because I couldn't afford internet.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cats101 wrote:Kind of hard to believe UA has beaten Stanford 17 straight meetings. As a matter of fact, I don't believe the Trees have won against the Cats since we expanded to the PAC-12. The only other school being WSU (who remembers that 37 game winning streak?). This will be the first match that Arizona isn't ranked against Furd since 2013.

Was once a big rivalry when Monty was there, now a game that I just pray we don't lose on the road tomorrow. Hope I didn't just jinx us.
Sweeping this road trip would be huge for our confidence and Pac record. Stanford is obviously the better team, and it will be a tough test. We always seem to get close games at Maples.

Cal is about handling business vs a bad team, but Stanford, I'm worried about.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Pretty funny how sports work. They hit that absolute gut punch and have never beaten us again
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Stanford's beaten us at least 5 times since that Tiger Woods game. Beat us 4 times in a row in 2008/2009
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:Stanford's beaten us at least 5 times since that Tiger Woods game. Beat us 4 times in a row in 2008/2009
As I said the last time was a little over ten years ago. 1/4/09
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Don't let facts get in the way of our pain and misery please...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Stanford's beaten us at least 5 times since that Tiger Woods game. Beat us 4 times in a row in 2008/2009
As I said the last time was a little over ten years ago. 1/4/09
My post has absolutely nothing to do with your post. Go away.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... edb.html#1" target="_blank

Article on why the streak will/won't continue..
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cats101 wrote:https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... edb.html#1

I laugh at articles like that. Arizona may win. Arizona may also lose.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Agree 100%.

Arizona is the better team and has the better coach. That advantage is greater than home court advantage for Stanford. Arizona should win if it plays its best game or close to it. if they are off and Stanford is on, Stanford wins.

Easy as that
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Agree 100%.

Arizona is the better team and has the better coach. That advantage is greater than home court advantage for Stanford. Arizona should win if it plays its best game or close to it. if they are off and Stanford is on, Stanford wins.

Easy as that
Arizona has more talent, but not so much the outcome is a foregone conclusion. We're vulnerable and Stanford is a competent team at home that can exploit that vulnerability.

Beyond that, we have to make shots, rebound, defend and play with energy. There's no secret code in this one.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

You can't get anything past Columbo. He's on the case.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

AZ 75
Stanford 72

Bear down!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

No love for the “Giant earthquake causes game cancellation and post apocalyptic terror” scenario?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Ira Lee... welcome to the team...

Huge minutes... huge baskets and 2 huge free throws to seal the game.

And somehow he didn’t foul out.

Big win for the cats. Fuck pac 12 refs
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

Is Barcello done at Arizona?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

jajoyce wrote:Is Barcello done at Arizona?
Probably for the time being. Just being a practice shooter doesnt get it done with Miller. Ask Daniel Dejanao. Remember him?

18 straight against Stanford. This has to be the longest streak in school history next to 37 against WSU when Lute was in charge.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I actually thought Barcello was starting to get more comfortable on floor. Then Miller put DD in the the other day and DD has now supplanted Barcello.

Would still like to see DD come in during second half to give a jolt.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

12-4

3-0

1st place alone
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Arizona played in it’s 5th time zone tonight.

The Zags and Mississippi Valley state are only other teams to do that.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong