Beachcat97 wrote:AZ 75
Stanford 72

Bear down!
Damn I was close!

Bear down! Lotta fight in this team!
zonagrad

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by zonagrad »

Postmaster wrote:I actually thought Barcello was starting to get more comfortable on floor. Then Miller put DD in the the other day and DD has now supplanted Barcello.

Would still like to see DD come in during second half to give a jolt.
Barcello would not have served us well at all against Stanford. We had foul trouble with Lee, Luther and Jeter (all bigs). Doutrive getting minutes is mainly because Akot is darn near useless right now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Stanford 72

Bear down!
Damn I was close!

You were close. Important win. Handle business vs Cal and we've got ourselves a nice start in Pac play.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Stanford 72

Bear down!
Damn I was close!

You were close. Important win. Handle business vs Cal and we've got ourselves a nice start in Pac play.
Yes then we have Oregon's at home then our toughest 4 game stretch. At L.A., at asu, and vs wash. If we can start 8 & 2 that would be great!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Stanford 72

Bear down!
Damn I was close!

Yes then we have Oregon's at home then our toughest 4 game stretch. At L.A., at asu, and vs wash. If we can start 8 & 2 that would be great!!
One at a time this year. We aren't so good that Cal's a given. Let's knock that one out and get to 4-0.

The Oregon, LA, ASU and Washington games are our highest profile, but a stumble vs a bad team like Cal could all but end our tourney chances too. The Pac has no one good enough to offset a truly bad loss. Every game is big this year.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:One at a time this year.
Correction - One stressful, nerve wracking, punch-the-pillow game at a time.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I'm definitely not looking past cal after that nice start they had against asu, and I don't think CSM is either. Heck with the year we've got going, I would hope the players aren't.

Wonder how the ambulance services are staffing game nights this year? It's not just the end of games this year. #everyplaymatters
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:I'm definitely not looking past cal after that nice start they had against asu, and I don't think CSM is either. Heck with the year we've got going, I would hope the players aren't.

Wonder how the ambulance services are staffing game nights this year? It's not just the end of games this year. #everyplaymatters
One thing I like is that our returners next year will have played a ton of important minutes. Every game has 40 important minutes, and we've had a lot of close ones where every player has pressure to produce at all times.

That will lead to a tougher team next year.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:I'm definitely not looking past cal after that nice start they had against asu, and I don't think CSM is either. Heck with the year we've got going, I would hope the players aren't.

One thing I like is that our returners next year will have played a ton of important minutes. Every game has 40 important minutes, and we've had a lot of close ones where every player has pressure to produce at all times.

Agree. I think we will also see dividends this year though from this game. To gut out a win with so much foul trouble and our best player not playing much will be huge this year for the team mentally
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

This post is a little for ODogg but also in general. I've been struggling with Ira's patience & (for lack of a better word) hysterics this last season & a half - including the beginning of the game last night. I feel like he's going to be a favorite but I also have felt like he's mostly played out of control. That changed last night. Almost like a switch. When we're talking about confidence boost & a learning game - I think Ira Lee is the best example from last night. Plus Coleman just pulled the Roy Hobbs out too. BTFD.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:This post is a little for ODogg but also in general. I've been struggling with Ira's patience & (for lack of a better word) hysterics this last season & a half - including the beginning of the game last night. I feel like he's going to be a favorite but I also have felt like he's mostly played out of control. That changed last night. Almost like a switch. When we're talking about confidence boost & a learning game - I think Ira Lee is the best example from last night. Plus Coleman just pulled the Roy Hobbs out too. BTFD.
Agree on Lee. Best game overall as a Wildcat. If he can say like this the rest of the year the Cats will be very good.

Huge win tonight and nice cover. I guess that means I have faith in Sean Miller right?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Still think Lee and Akot are the keys to this year being better than expected.

Ira took a big leap forward last night. If Akot can follow suit watch out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The question is how many guys playing this year actually return?
Bear Down Vegas

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Is this is a hint that a lot more than we thought, won't?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I think it is still unknown what Jeter and Randolph will do.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I am no insider, but just looking objectively and at playing time trends... Only Williams is on a list of very likely to return.

Likely:
Williams - not a pro yet
Lee - carving a nice niche out

Pretty Likely:
DD - if Randolph returns does DD look around? I sure hope not. Even with Randolph I think there is 15-20 min for DD next year

50/50:
Jeter - already graduated - may want to get paid
Randolph - insiders say he is more than likely to leave. Still dont think he is a pro yet.

May not have a role next year:
Smith - Ideal grad transfer
Barcello - has not shown he is capable at this level
Akot - needs to prove himself with PT this season... but if Stanford minutes are a reflection.. he might not have many next year

Exhausted Eligibility:
Luther
Coleman

Most critical of the list is Jeter. I am in the camp that would like to see Randolph return.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If Williams, Lee, Jeter, Randolph, Akot and Smith all come back that would be ideal.

I really wish Barcello could step it up in games and he did one game this year but it is evident Miller doesnt trust him. If he cant get minutes in a game like last night he is likely done for the year unless there are injuiries
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I think it is still unknown what Jeter and Randolph will do.
They're the only two that wouldn't be transferring or unemployed. Someone will take a chance on their physical abilities.

Jeter is a more important piece next year because of the wealth of perimeter/wing talent we have coming in. That's also sort of why I think Randolph would consider leaving. He has the physical talent and would get more PT in the G league.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
They're the only two that wouldn't be transferring or unemployed. Someone will take a chance on their physical abilities.

Jeter is a more important piece next year because of the wealth of perimeter/wing talent we have coming in. That's also sort of why I think Randolph would consider leaving. He has the physical talent and would get more PT in the G league.
Jeter is certainly the wild-card next year... everyone else can be replaced.

The reality of Jeter's decision for next year is that if he doesn't think 1 more year of college ball will get him drafted, he might as well leave after this year. (and I don't think another year will get him drafted)

The fact is we need Jeter more than he needs us next year... it just depends if he would rather be in college or oversees making $$$
Bear Down Vegas

baycat93 wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I am no insider, but just looking objectively and at playing time trends... Only Williams is on a list of very likely to return.

Likely:
Williams - not a pro yet
Lee - carving a nice niche out

Pretty Likely:
DD - if Randolph returns does DD look around? I sure hope not. Even with Randolph I think there is 15-20 min for DD next year

50/50:
Jeter - already graduated - may want to get paid
Randolph - insiders say he is more than likely to leave. Still dont think he is a pro yet.

May not have a role next year:
Smith - Ideal grad transfer
Barcello - has not shown he is capable at this level
Akot - needs to prove himself with PT this season... but if Stanford minutes are a reflection.. he might not have many next year

Exhausted Eligibility:
Luther
Coleman

Most critical of the list is Jeter. I am in the camp that would like to see Randolph return.
Thank you for this post. I need to get back on premium and get more insider info but this was an enjoyable breakdown.

I would also add to my bolded of your closing line, I'm a "sunny lenses" fan. If a kid signs up here, I want him to stay. He earned it. Sure, I get frustrated with effort a lot & Josiah Turner is probably the best example of that. But I never wanted him to split, I just wanted him to get better. Hell, we have Gilbert F'n Arenas on our list of greats and that guy is a nut. He sure was fun to watch though. Let Coach do his job. He's a master class at it - flaws and all. This team is growing & learning & so what if I go Pollyanna on it...I'm having fun watching - just like I always do.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

what's the word on Coleman's shoulder?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Just from a common sense point of view I for sure see Randolph going pro, he can be sold as a 3 and D player with high level athleticism a la Terrance Ferguson and he's not starting over Green or Williams. Barcello is already out of the rotation and that won't get better next year. Smith is an easy decision to grad transfer, especially since his defense gets easily replaced by Green. I think DD hangs around with the promise of a more prominent bench role, which if history under Miller has taught us anything is that he will be trusted more next year. Lee has Nnaji, Gettings, and maybe a grad transfer to contend with, but I think he'll be back, and finally where does Akot fit in? What does Akot do to justify minutes next year over the other guys? Also Jeter's status is up in the air still.

By my count that's 4-5 returners who could very likely be gone next year. That's a lot.

Without knowing about any other possible roster additions this is my rotation:

Mannion
Williams
Green
Nnaji
Jeter (if he returns)

Doutrive
Armstrong
Gettings
Lee
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I've tried to hang in there with Akot, but here are some unfortunate facts:

1. He's shooting 37% FG, which is actually down from last season
2. He's shooting 43% FT, which is also down from last season
3. 30% from 3FG%, down from last season

I think a lot of us are enamored with his size and athleticism, which are both impressive. But he's just developing very slowly skill-wise. We need him to be a better shooter and to make better decisions on offense. He has shown flashes of improvement, but overall, he's not progressing at the speed we need him to. Still a lot of season left, so we'll have to see.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Akot has to be just about the most disappointing 5 star in UA basketball history.

Same with Barcello as a 4 star.

OK, maybe Jamelle Horne. Rivals had him as a 5 star. But did have some really good games, along with a couple of the biggest boneheaded plays.

Fendi Onobun as a 4 star is probably similar to Akot. An athletic freak, but no real basketball skills.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Just from a common sense point of view I for sure see Randolph going pro, he can be sold as a 3 and D player with high level athleticism a la Terrance Ferguson and he's not starting over Green or Williams. Barcello is already out of the rotation and that won't get better next year. Smith is an easy decision to grad transfer, especially since his defense gets easily replaced by Green. I think DD hangs around with the promise of a more prominent bench role, which if history under Miller has taught us anything is that he will be trusted more next year. Lee has Nnaji, Gettings, and maybe a grad transfer to contend with, but I think he'll be back, and finally where does Akot fit in? What does Akot do to justify minutes next year over the other guys? Also Jeter's status is up in the air still.

By my count that's 4-5 returners who could very likely be gone next year. That's a lot.

Mannion
Williams
Green
Nnaji
Jeter (if he returns)

Doutrive
Armstrong
Gettings
Lee

CCC, I would be happy with that Roster (neeeeeed Jeter) and maybe a grad transfer 5 to backup Jeter. If worthy a traditional transfer 5 might look good on the following years roster. I am of the opinion the team would be better with Randolph than without... but I don't know all of the ancillary pieces outside of pure on court play that would affect that.

Do you think CSM would start 3 freshman? Is Nnaji that much better than Gettings who will have some institutional knowledge of the defense?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote:Akot has to be just about the most disappointing 5 star in UA basketball history.

OK, maybe Jamelle Horne. Rivals had him as a 5 star. But did have some really good games, along with a couple of the biggest boneheaded plays.

Fendi Onobun as a 4 star is probably similar to Akot. An athletic freak, but no real basketball skills.
I'm confounded by the star ratings system. Watching Akot play, I don't see how he translated to a 5 star. To me, a 5 star is a player who is clearly performing at a superior level to every other player on the court. Now, Akot may appear to have a great upside. But nowhere has he shown anything deserving of a 5 star rating.

Rather than criticize Akot for his disappointing play, I think criticism is in order for whoever rated him a 5 star. It's certainly believable to think that Miller and other coaches evaluated Akot and figured he'd develop. But did Miller and other coaches consider him a 5 star? Or privately did they think he was a 3 star player who was overrated by the star system who would need time to develop into a good player?

The reason I think the star system is flawed is that Jamelle Horne was a 5 star. And nowhere during his basketball career did I ever once consider him to be worthy of that rating. He was a very mediocre basketball player. He was athletic but had no idea how to use his athleticism. And don't get me started on his basketball IQ.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote:Akot has to be just about the most disappointing 5 star in UA basketball history.

Missed this post, which sums up my feelings.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Just from a common sense point of view I for sure see Randolph going pro, he can be sold as a 3 and D player with high level athleticism a la Terrance Ferguson and he's not starting over Green or Williams. Barcello is already out of the rotation and that won't get better next year. Smith is an easy decision to grad transfer, especially since his defense gets easily replaced by Green. I think DD hangs around with the promise of a more prominent bench role, which if history under Miller has taught us anything is that he will be trusted more next year. Lee has Nnaji, Gettings, and maybe a grad transfer to contend with, but I think he'll be back, and finally where does Akot fit in? What does Akot do to justify minutes next year over the other guys? Also Jeter's status is up in the air still.

Mannion
Williams
Green
Nnaji
Jeter (if he returns)

Doutrive
Armstrong
Gettings
Lee

CCC, I would be happy with that Roster (neeeeeed Jeter) and maybe a grad transfer 5 to backup Jeter. If worthy a traditional transfer 5 might look good on the following years roster. I am of the opinion the team would be better with Randolph than without... but I don't know all of the ancillary pieces outside of pure on court play that would affect that.

Do you think CSM would start 3 freshman? Is Nnaji that much better than Gettings who will have some institutional knowledge of the defense?
Oh I'd love to have Randolph on the team as well, but knowing how recruiting works and the politics at play here Nico and Green are 100% starting and Miller is not going to bench the most important recruiting land during the most difficult time of his career in Williams. You don't continue to land top classes by breaking promises. So with all that said that would leave Randolph to come off the bench and needless to say I wouldn't expect him to be down for that.

As far as Zeke goes, you can't land a guy at Arizona who is from the midwest and wanted by UNC and KU and not promise him a starting spot. He's more than advanced enough where it wouldn't kill you either, but at worst he starts and gets an even time split with Stone IMO and at best he kills it.

Considering Sean Miller had to pull himself out of the grave to land the class he did and wants to compete for a final four ASAP whilst giving a middle finger to the world, yeah I fully expect him to start 3 freshmen next season.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Daniel Bejarano?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:

Daniel Bejarano?
Not a 5 star.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

4 star per Rivals, 75th nationally, 18th ranked SG.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... rano-21839" target="_blank

Not a bad career for the Rams, although he still couldn't shoot worth shit. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ano-1.html" target="_blank
Last edited by Merkin on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

How about J. P. Prince?
Last edited by 84Cat on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote:How about J. P. Prince?

Good call, also a 5 star https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ince-32490" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:4 star per Rivals, 75th nationally, 18th ranked SG.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... rano-21839" target="_blank

Not a bad career for the Rams, although he still couldn't shoot worth shit. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ano-1.html" target="_blank
I would take what Barcello has given us mover Bejarano
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

84Cat wrote:How about J. P. Prince?
JP had serious health issues if i recall, that really derailed his career.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:

I'm confounded by the star ratings system. Watching Akot play, I don't see how he translated to a 5 star. To me, a 5 star is a player who is clearly performing at a superior level to every other player on the court. Now, Akot may appear to have a great upside. But nowhere has he shown anything deserving of a 5 star rating.

Rather than criticize Akot for his disappointing play, I think criticism is in order for whoever rated him a 5 star. It's certainly believable to think that Miller and other coaches evaluated Akot and figured he'd develop. But did Miller and other coaches consider him a 5 star? Or privately did they think he was a 3 star player who was overrated by the star system who would need time to develop into a good player?

The reason I think the star system is flawed is that Jamelle Horne was a 5 star. And nowhere during his basketball career did I ever once consider him to be worthy of that rating. He was a very mediocre basketball player. He was athletic but had no idea how to use his athleticism. And don't get me started on his basketball IQ.
The ratings system is about upside. A five-star is a player evaluated to have the body and the potential eventually to become a solid pro at the highest level. On the one hand, the ability to see a player like Akot and evaluate his extraordinary potential is an ability cultivated by scouts, who learn their skills from other scouts. On the other hand, Akot demonstrates that scouting as a serious endeavor is often a bullshit notion. You know who could really evaluate potential? Lute Olson. He found the players overlooked by scouts, and let the "top talent" go to UCLA. Miller, on the other hand, gets the "top talent" as evaluated by the scouts.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

The ratings system is about upside. A five-star is a player evaluated to have the body and the potential eventually to become a solid pro at the highest level. On the one hand, the ability to see a player like Akot and evaluate his extraordinary potential is an ability cultivated by scouts, who learn their skills from other scouts. On the other hand, Akot demonstrates that scouting as a serious endeavor is often a bullshit notion. You know who could really evaluate potential? Lute Olson. He found the players overlooked by scouts, and let the "top talent" go to UCLA. Miller, on the other hand, gets the "top talent" as evaluated by the scouts.
The problem is they seldom get to see them play basketball - most of the observation is at AAU events....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Mannion
Williams
Green
Nnaji
Jeter (if he returns)

Doutrive
Armstrong
Gettings
Lee
This won't be popular, but I would take a returning Akot and play him over Gettings and possibly Doutrive off the bench.

Armstrong is an unknown quantity for me. I love his potential, but I always wonder with guys like that if they'll be ready for D on the next level. How much does he differentiate himself from a freshman Randolph?

I'm not sold on Gettings as a big contributor. For a 4, his rebounding rate was not great at a much smaller college. If Nnaji is half ready, I would think he gets first look. I could see Lee beating out Gettings too.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This won't be popular, but I would take a returning Akot and play him over Gettings and possibly Doutrive off the bench.

Armstrong is an unknown quantity for me. I love his potential, but I always wonder with guys like that if they'll be ready for D on the next level. How much does he differentiate himself from a freshman Randolph?

I'm not sold on Gettings as a big contributor. For a 4, his rebounding rate was not great at a much smaller college. If Nnaji is half ready, I would think he gets first look. I could see Lee beating out Gettings too.
Why Akot, Spiff? What has he done to earn your confidence? Is it just that he's still young, and that you anticipate he'll make a big leap next year?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Miller obviously wants Gettings to take over Luther’s minutes and role. I can’t see Akot filling those.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Mannion
Williams
Green
Nnaji
Jeter (if he returns)

Doutrive
Armstrong
Gettings
Lee
This won't be popular, but I would take a returning Akot and play him over Gettings and possibly Doutrive off the bench.

I'm with you on this. Granted Akot has disappointed, but for those asking what people in scouting services saw in him. Well... He can ideally play the 3/4, can defend three positions, has handles that allow you to do some creative things, albeit they are a bit loose, and he has the passing ability and vision to invert your offense. The issue has been him being able to be aggressive on offense, hang consistently defensively, and whatever the hell he did to his jumper over the summer. I'd definitely roll the dice on him in hopes he improves.

For everyone wanting a "small ball" or "Warriors" type lineup, Akot is the guy you need in order to pull it off.

I'm more than happy to give him two more years and see what he's got. I don't trust any of these grad transfers unless I have seen them play. I saw Luther and posted my scouting report on him, and it wasn't much to write home about. Getting apparently has a bit more skill and size? But I'll believe it when I can actually see it against decent competition.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don't disagree with the Warriors/Akot comment at all, but ultimately this is Sean Miller we're talking about. He has always preferred a traditional 4 man. Good luck on Akot getting real minutes at the 4 next year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Miller obviously wants Gettings to take over Luther’s minutes and role. I can’t see Akot filling those.
Right now, Luther is getting 21.4 mpg and Akot 19.1. Even if Gettings is Luther and Akot is Akot, there is not a huge gap.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:Miller obviously wants Gettings to take over Luther’s minutes and role. I can’t see Akot filling those.
Right now, Luther is getting 21.4 mpg and Akot 19.1. Even if Gettings is Luther and Akot is Akot, there is not a huge gap.
There's no Nnaji on this year's team. That changes next year. Where does Akot get minutes then?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:This won't be popular, but I would take a returning Akot and play him over Gettings and possibly Doutrive off the bench.

Why Akot, Spiff? What has he done to earn your confidence? Is it just that he's still young, and that you anticipate he'll make a big leap next year?
Akot is a better defender than I've seen from Doutrive and better than Gettings showed. Next year, we have Jeter (hopefully), Nnaji, Green, Nico and BWill, all of whom could give you 20 points any night. We need more D, not more O.

Akot should have a complete handle on the system. We need someone who has that. We have a lot of good freshmen, but experienced players provide cohesion and lead in a way freshmen can't. I see Jeter, Lee, Akot and Williams as those cohesion, leadership guys.

Akot may not be great on offense, but he has a miniscule usage rate. His usage rate is 13.7 and he averages less than a shot every 5 minutes of PT. Randolph gets a shot up in less than every 2.5 minutes, twice as often. He has more assists than turnovers, which is an asset as a complementary guy.

Finally, Akot gives flexibility that Doutrive and Gettings won't. I feel like we have enough talent, we need someone wholo will patch holes when we need it. Akot has that ability in a way Doutrive and Gettings don't.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
There's no Nnaji on this year's team. That changes next year. Where does Akot get minutes then?
We may have to decide between Akot and Gettings. My post above this lists why I think EA can win that. I'm not sold we need a Luther so much as an Akot next year. If Nnaji is legit, I think the need for Gettings decreases.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
We may have to decide between Akot and Gettings. My post above this lists why I think EA can win that. I'm not sold we need a Luther so much as an Akot next year. If Nnaji is legit, I think the need for Gettings decreases.
Ultimately the guy I think that pushes Akot out outside of Nnaji is Green. Green has a 6'10 wingspan and is already a better defender than Akot is. So not only do I see Green pushing him out of minutes at the 3, but also the 4 if and when Miller goes with the Golden State lineup, which I still don't think will be often, but nonetheless Green is the guy I'd rather have at the 4 than Akot, especially due to his more consistent effort.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

zonagrad wrote:

I will never forget the UAB game where he fouled midcourt. My goodness, the ultimate facepalm. I also had a class with him, where he maybe showed up twice outside of exams (off topic, I know).
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I’ve been closely watching Doutrive. From a layman’s perspective, his defense has not been a negative in these last few games. Certainly no worse than Akot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’ve been closely watching Doutrive. From a layman’s perspective, his defense has not been a negative in these last few games. Certainly no worse than Akot.
True, the distinction I'd draw is Doutrive generally drew the easiest perimeter assignment. Akot got subbed onto Donnie Tillman to cool him off.