lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: lets talk '16

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:In case you hear the repeated assertion that it's questionable that Alkins will meet Initial Eligibility requirements and be cleared to play by the NCAA, just shut down the conversation right there. There's nothing to it. His qualifications are no more at issue than any student athlete.
I think there are still questions out there.
The only question I've seen is whether he took more than a maximum of 4 years to graduate high school while meeting the core requirements for Initial Eligibility. Are there other questions than that? I'll accept just a "yes" if you know something I don't and it's counterproductive to say.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Merkin wrote:
FightWildcatsFight wrote:Lots of MSU people still hanging on to the notion that if we get Atkins then that means no JJ.
Pundits on Twitter says there is no relationship.
fixed it
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Crystal Ball expecting Arizona for Rawle Alkins

Jerry Meyer - 104 minutes ago
Arizona 91%

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Crystal-Ball- ... s-44131527" target="_blank

96% :D

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Can you image if we got those 4 guys along with LM. With the FF being played in Phoenix next year we might have to close down Tucson as there would be 50k crazy wildcat fans cheering on the cats.

I think CSM is selling a vision of what could be an incredible year next season. Those kids are buying in
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

catgrad97 wrote:
The Goat wrote:Markanen, Simmons, and Alkins. Swoon. Add Jackson and it turns into a cleanup time. Add Ferguson and well we all better go check our lease because we're living in fuck city.
I want them all, and I think Miller is in "gloves off" mode now too after the Rabb recruitment.

No conference ref hand-picked by Scott would be able to stop that roster, and I would love to see it play like it and just blow away every barrier. Tweet away, guys, we've got three others ready on the bench.

Plus, we wouldn't be UK if we got 'em all...we'd know better and run things better. Miller's in a different league than Calipari as far as bench coaches go IMHO.
Just to add my projections for next year:

PG Kobi Simmons/Kadeem Allen/Parker Jackson-Cartwright
SG Allonzo Trier/Rawle Alkins/Justin Simon
SF Josh Jackson/Terrance Ferguson
PF Lauri Markkanen/Ray Smith
C Dusan Ristic/Chance Comanche/Omer Yurtseven

F' it. I'm all in.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:In case you hear the repeated assertion that it's questionable that Alkins will meet Initial Eligibility requirements and be cleared to play by the NCAA, just shut down the conversation right there. There's nothing to it. His qualifications are no more at issue than any student athlete.
The only question I've seen is whether he took more than a maximum of 4 years to graduate high school while meeting the core requirements for Initial Eligibility. Are there other questions than that? I'll accept just a "yes" if you know something I don't and it's counterproductive to say.
I think the actual question is if he passed all of the required core classes in the 8 semester period. Arizona, St. John's, and UNLV say yes. Other schools aren't so sure. I'm interested in what the NCAA says, but I'm more interested in WHEN they get around to saying it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

azcat49 wrote:Can you image if we got those 4 guys along with LM. With the FF being played in Phoenix next year we might have to close down Tucson as there would be 50k crazy wildcat fans cheering on the cats.

I think CSM is selling a vision of what could be an incredible year next season. Those kids are buying in
When do tix go on sale? We need to scoop some good ones quick
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I think the actual question is if he passed all of the required core classes in the 8 semester period. Arizona, St. John's, and UNLV say yes. Other schools aren't so sure. I'm interested in what the NCAA says, but I'm more interested in WHEN they get around to saying it.
The Arizona Athletics Compliance Office vetted his transcript, which is obviously a confidential document that we don't have. But on that transcript, we'd see ten semesters (nine completed with one in progress): one semester at Palm Beach Central High School in Florida, seven semesters at Christ the King Academy in New York, and two semesters at Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh, NC. One of the questions the Compliance Office had to answer was, "Did the student pass the designated 16 core requirements in 8 semesters?" The answer was yes. The compliance offices at St. John's and UNLV concluded the same. Unless somebody can tell me why anybody else reached the conclusion that that he won't be cleared by the NCAA by fall 2016, then I doubt whether anybody has a concrete reason for that opinion. I suspect there is no concrete reason, and just the red flag of 10 semesters in high school, which when combined with other concerns, would lead multiple coaches to pass on this one-and-done talent.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Zo, or not, I feel Adkins would get his mins. He'd be especially valuable against physical backcourt opponents. Guy has a pro body already and uses it.

Don't underestimate Adkins. He has tight handles, sees the court, shoots, flys high, and most important has a "you can't stop me" attitude in transition and in the lanes to the basket. When he slows approaching the key, watch ya ankles.

For those who don't recall, CTK in Queens produced a historic great Cat------Khalid Reeves. Also, Khalid was on staff at the school a few years ago and who knows, we may have used him or checked with him in our Adkins pursuit.

I really hope we get Adkins!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Who is ready to welcome Rawle to Tucson?!? I'm gonna be so happy to have that east coast, NYC toughness that it seems we are missing this year (sans Zeus, he's got it this year).

C'mon Rawle, you know it feels right.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Crazy that we get two top 20 guys that even 3 months ago we seemingly weren't even on the radar for.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:Crazy that we get two top 20 guys that even 3 months ago we seemingly weren't even on the radar for.
Sean Miller had a reason for changing his recruiting philosophy. Get premium!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I called this shitty ass Green Bay Valpo came going to OT. What a complete garbage collapse by green bay
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I don't think we had a game delayed by OT this year, so of course a new wildcat has his announcement delayed by OT.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Impressive OT by GB though. Hopefully they don't go to another game immediately after
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

azcat49 wrote:Impressive OT by GB though. Hopefully they don't go to another game immediately after
Nah the game following is on this same court so we have 30 minutes in between games
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Come on down Rawle!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

RAWLE! CATS!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We are going to be so stacked next year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Bear Down Rawle!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Witch!

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Welcome Rawle! Love the tie reveal.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

2 more to go
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just insane. We are going to watch the cats play in a FF next year in Phoenix.

You all better get your airplane tickets and fly in for that weekend for what could be one hell of a party
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

As much as I would love JJ, we are definitely going to need some interior help unless Ristic figures out how to play defense over the summer. I am curious to see what grad transfers come available.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Witch!

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Frybry02 wrote:As much as I would love JJ, we are definitely going to need some interior help unless Ristic figures out how to play defense over the summer. I am curious to see what grad transfers come available.
Yeah 2-4 positions we'll be all world national title contenders. But gotta settle the pg position and either Ristic or Comanche needs to step up at C

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote:As much as I would love JJ, we are definitely going to need some interior help unless Ristic figures out how to play defense over the summer. I am curious to see what grad transfers come available.
Get JJ and we are super stacked on the perimeter, then just have to figure out our post rotation. If we can pull a grad transfer, so much the better. We're gonna be able to score next year, though.

Welcome, Rawle!
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

And in '17 we get all of Ayton, Bamba, Duval, and McCoy plus Billy Preston on (key)boards, right?

Cool
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

We are going to have so much ridiculous offensive firepower at positions 1-4 that I would hazard a guess (and it's just a guess) that we look like a better "team" and are more efficient with a defensive player at the 5 than an offensive one. The corollary to that is you don't need 5 guys on the floor that can put the ball in the hoop.

So if Chance wants to see lots of the floor next year, he should keep working on that defense and defensive rebounding and if he does, he could well be the most efficient option for next year's team at the 5.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If fate smiles on us, next year involves:

KA/KS/PJC
AT/RA
JJ/RS
LM/JJ/RS
DR/CC

That team would probably be the most talented in Arizona history. Final Four's in Phoenix, right?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I agree we don't need a scorer at the 5. We just need an anchor defensively like Zeus has been the past 4 years. Hell, they only have to be half the anchor Zeus is. Comanche could be that guy. I love Comanche long term. It will be exciting and interesting to see how Ristic and Comanche develop and what the coaching staff decides.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

My goodness, this team is going to be beyond stacked. We're talking about a two to three level quality increase in the talent trajectory from this year to next.

If JJ and TF commit and Ray Smith can regain his health and ability to anything close to his in-coming year............oh my.

This will certainly be as close, if not the best class at Arizona ever. The talent gap may even be quite astonishing.

Lets hope JJ wants to be apart of something really special.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkins is going to dominate the Pac-12. Beast!!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hard to imagine but Trier (whether he stays or goes), PJC,Allen and potentially Ray Smith has just been recruited over.

The talent CSM is bringing in is at an unreal level
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Where would this Ferguson kid play? At the 2?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Only 5 guys can start.........I really hope the guys can check their ego at the door and relish being apart of something potentially really special.

If Miller can pull this off and hold everyone together and get full buy-in.

That may be his best coaching job ever.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Miller needs to make FF at minimum, he has so much talent in the program (barring any major injuries ) that he needs to take the next step. He's the Mark Richt of college basketball right now. 5+ years of top 10 classes and they haven't reached a FF - also needs a conference tournament title as a stepping stone to the FF or Natty.

Which I think Miller is finally deciding to load up and go all in & with a chance at Jackson & Ferguson

Oh & fuck Wisconsin.
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

azcat49 wrote:Where would this Ferguson kid play? At the 2?
I would be shocked if Ferguson commits to play at Arizona.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Where would this Ferguson kid play? At the 2?
If Trier stays, not at Arizona.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

If, and that is a big if. If miller can also pull Josh Jackson I'm not sure PJC will ever see the floor again. My goodness the competition will be beyond belief.

The potential guard talent coming in simply dwarfs anything we currently have at the PG position.

Simon and PJC got to be thinking about this situation.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Best thing that can happen to Simon if he has desires to play in the NBA, where the comp for PT will be even tougher. You play/DEFEND against those guys every day in practice, and push yourself to get better so you can get minutes among those guys, only good things can happen. He's got three years of eligibility left and he will be an important piece for more than one of them if he keeps improving
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Only 5 guys can start.........I really hope the guys can check their ego at the door and relish being apart of something potentially really special.
Calipari does it yearly.
Dave

Post by Dave »

No joke. You guys are in the old school mentality. It is time to start thinking like Kentucky.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Dave wrote:No joke. You guys are in the old school mentality. It is time to start thinking like Kentucky.
Yep. They bring in like 4-6 5 star players every year for the last 7 years. And it's gotten them a title, 4 total final fours and 4 conference titles.

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Dave wrote:No joke. You guys are in the old school mentality. It is time to start thinking like Kentucky.
Yep. They bring in like 4-6 5 star players every year for the last 7 years. And it's gotten them a title, 4 total final fours and 4 conference titles.
It's a little off tangent, but the funniest thing ever for me was the talk that Calipari would take the insta fail Brooklyn job.

Think about his job at Kentucky: Call all of the 25 top recruits and ask who wants to come. Ten say they want to come. Pick four. Coaching style: roll the ball out there. All for $8M a year.

But he's probably interested in leaving to coach Brooklyn :lol:

Ok back to our team...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I have said all along that I would be ecstatic if we landed Alkins, and I am. Good to see all the excitement; the board seems to acknowledge this pickup for being the HUGE one that he is, despite our collective pre-occupation with JJ.

That said, IF we also land Jackson, I do not see how we make it to next season without at least a defection or two. Unless Kadeem is graduating, he is not going anywhere. That leaves PJC or Simon to transfer - or Zo to declare(which I think would be a mistake).

I love Simon and agree that he will play a pivotal role on 1-2 teams if he sticks around - but there are casualties that come with a loaded roster, and even UK has had to deal with them. Miller is not likely to go to a 10-man rotation, and we are even more unlikely to avoid defections.

It comes with the territory...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ngQ0kG-sI" target="_blank

Welcome, Rawle! He looks like a guy who will make an impact from day one. He looks physically ready now.

Can't decide who his game reminds me of. He's not quite the man-child that SJ was, and he's shorter. But he's very explosive. Great leaping ability, great agility in the lane, changes directions well, and just a natural in every sense.

Our backcourt is absolutely freaking loaded next season, and CSM isn't done yet. Wow.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

6 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe
Cats land 5-star recruit Alkins

“Rawle’s only got one thing on his mind. Basketball. That’s it,” said Arbitello, who played at the school along with Lamar Odom in the 1990s. “Any of the great players are like that. They don’t play Xbox or even talk to girls that much. They have only one thing on their mind.

I truly believe Rawle made the decision where he wanted to go based on winning.

Alkins said his strong relationships with Miller and UA assistant coach Book Richardson also played a big role, and he indicated he already looking forward Monday to playing a key role with the Wildcats and in the Pac-12.

“Right now, coach Sean is talking to me about Gabe York, a senior guard who scores a lot for the team, creates a lot for the team,” Alkins told ESPNU. “So he’s kind of looking for me to be the next leader for that team, impact starter, impact player.

“I feel like the Pac-12, I’ll probably try to dominate that conference. (It’s about) just being the best me I can be.”

“He’s physically imposing for a shooting guard or a small forward,” Biancardi said. “He’s the type of guy when he gets a head of steam in the open floor some guys step in and take charges -- but most guys get out of the way.

“He can make three-point shots and he can beat you off the drive. He’s a strong power guard. Creates a lot of fouls and he can be a very good strong wing defender.”

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 3cc53.html" target="_blank
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Can we just start calling him 'RMFA'?
“Right now, coach Sean is talking to me about Gabe York, a senior guard who scores a lot for the team, creates a lot for the team,” Alkins told ESPNU. “So he’s kind of looking for me to be the next leader for that team, impact starter, impact player.

“I feel like the Pac-12, I’ll probably try to dominate that conference. (It’s about) just being the best me I can be.”
I'm not sure Rawle has got his UA history down, though. If Miller was talking to him about York, then it was probably more about being patient and sticking around than it was about coming in and dominating right away.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy