let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Re: let's talk '17

Post by Jefe »

Only thing that makes any sense is redshirting Ira. Don't see this happening.

3 high schools in 3 years?

Was Paulo on scholarship?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Only thing that makes any sense is redshirting Ira. Don't see this happening.

3 high schools in 3 years?

Was Paulo on scholarship?
Yeah, we're going to turn down the #1 player in all HS because we are afraid to make some room. Bagley is a recruit that a slot is always open for. The fact that another player may currently be unwittingly occupying it is a minor inconvenience.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So he comes off the bench? Or senior Dusan does?

The Paulo transfer news dropped within 20 minutes of the Bagley article coming out. We can dream right?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Some things I dare not dream.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:So he comes off the bench? Or senior Dusan does?

The Paulo transfer news dropped within 20 minutes of the Bagley article coming out. We can dream right?
Look, it would be a miracle if he came here. If he did, there is a zero percent chance Dusan starts over him. Bagley is on a different talent level.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UALoco wrote:So we do have a spot available?
I mean if we had a realistic shot I'd tell Talbott Denny to go f*** himself or I'd personally pay for his final grad year. His mere presence would piss some guys on the roster off though that's for sure. USC and Duke are all the talk though and if we're going to have a shot at him it's in 2018. Our odds for Bol are significantly higher at this point.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He has to be going to USC. Who knows if something shady is going on, but if he does, USC would fully be our equal as far as favorite to win the conference this year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:So he comes off the bench? Or senior Dusan does?

Look, it would be a miracle if he came here. If he did, there is a zero percent chance Dusan starts over him. Bagley is on a different talent level.
Dusan would be one pissy Serb if that ever came to be though, he didn't return to come off the bench his senior year. Either way it's not happening.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EOCT wrote:I'd hate to see USC get Bagley.

A sure top 5, maybe even NC favorite. Imagine----McLaughlin at the helm with Bagley, Metu, Boatright in the front court and a bunch of young guys all over the roster.
I mean that's assuming Enfield can coach, which is something he can't do at the moment. Honestly 2017-2018 USC with Bagley would be a lot similar to 2016-2017 UCLA. All offense, no defense, just outscore the competition baby!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:He has to be going to USC. Who knows if something shady is going on, but if he does, USC would fully be our equal as far as favorite to win the conference this year.
We'd have to have the edge due to the fact we only play once and it's in McKale. All bets off in Vegas though baby. One of us would be in the West and the other a 2-3 seed elsewhere come the NCAA tourney.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
EOCT wrote:I'd hate to see USC get Bagley.

A sure top 5, maybe even NC favorite. Imagine----McLaughlin at the helm with Bagley, Metu, Boatright in the front court and a bunch of young guys all over the roster.
I mean that's assuming Enfield can coach, which is something he can't do at the moment. Honestly 2017-2018 USC with Bagley would be a lot similar to 2016-2017 UCLA. All offense, no defense, just outscore the competition baby!
#DunkCity
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

What if (since this is a message board of fanatics after all) Bagley tells Miller and staff that he really wants to come to UofA? Do they tell the team and see what happens? Or do they make this call?

Possibilies I see:
1. Dusan doesn't like giving up his starting spot and PT, so he leaves and goes pro oversees somewhere
2. More likely- Talbot Denny forced to leave or occupy the walk on spot vacated by Paulo Cruz. (possible move from coaching staff in preparation for possibility of landing Bagley?)

Clearly I am speculating..but it's fun and exciting.

I see no way in Hell that this 9-man rotation:

PJC
Trier
Alkins
Bagley
Ayton

Ristic
Akot
Randolph
Lee

...doesn't AT LEAST get to the Final Four. I'd be looking for a NC as a high possibility and an undefeated season would at least be fathomable. I mean..we are already ranked as the #1 team in the country...then add Bagely??? The best high school player in the country (regardless of class) and we would be absolutely monstrous. No team in the country would want to deal with us on any night.

Again. This is just speculation and hopefulness. BearDown for Bagely!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If Bagley ends up at Arizona it'll be as a member of the 2018 class. If he reclassifies to 2017 (if he can that is) he's going to USC or Duke.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:If Bagley ends up at Arizona it'll be as a member of the 2018 class. If he reclassifies to 2017 (if he can that is) he's going to USC or Duke.
Thanks, Choo. I asked about this in a different thread, and you've answered my question about where MBIII could fit in. Sorta think he's going to SC.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Give Barcello 12mpg please!

97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chris Hernandez with a cocky attitude and a stupid mouthpiece -- looks like a good four year candidate for Coach Miller to develop.
ScottRobert77

Post by ScottRobert77 »

I'm going to have major issues with Barcello if that mouthpiece is something of a habit (a la Curry) for him. I can't stand that crap.

As you were....
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chris Hernandez was one of the better Pac PGs of his era.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The mouthpiece is a thing.

The kid could not be nicer. Seriously. Teenage kids who are local stars? He isn't like that. Maybe it is having 4 sisters, 3 who probably kicked his ass on the court for years.

He is personally a good kid. Is he going to be an impactful player? I have no idea. A top 100 prospect on most teams is a can't miss, but this is Arizona. Alex has "punch face" and the mouthpiece thing if it bothers. So people will hate him. But he is about as sincere/respectful/nice a kid as you can meet. Then you add the "local star/UA signee" in, and he is almost impossible to believe.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote:Chris Hernandez was one of the better Pac PGs of his era.
as a Junior and particularly as a Senior
97cats

Post by 97cats »

EVCat wrote:The mouthpiece is a thing.

The kid could not be nicer. Seriously. Teenage kids who are local stars? He isn't like that. Maybe it is having 4 sisters, 3 who probably kicked his ass on the court for years.

He is personally a good kid. Is he going to be an impactful player? I have no idea. A top 100 prospect on most teams is a can't miss, but this is Arizona. Alex has "punch face" and the mouthpiece thing if it bothers. So people will hate him. But he is about as sincere/respectful/nice a kid as you can meet. Then you add the "local star/UA signee" in, and he is almost impossible to believe.
thank you for this post
az91

Post by az91 »

ChooChooCat wrote:If Bagley ends up at Arizona it'll be as a member of the 2018 class. If he reclassifies to 2017 (if he can that is) he's going to USC or Duke.
Well, at least Bagley didn't commit to Duke yet. Apparently, he will be taking an official visit to Arizona after a visit to USC.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Chris Hernandez was one of the better Pac PGs of his era.
as a Junior and particularly as a Senior
Only took him six years.

Rather not have to wish for Barcello to have two knee blowouts just to give him enough time to develop.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:Chris Hernandez with a cocky attitude and a stupid mouthpiece -- looks like a good four year candidate for Coach Miller to develop.
Already seems to play the game at a couple of different gears. Looks like he can lull defenders to sleep then blow by them to create close to the hoop.

I like that.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The ideal situation barring injuries is Barcello redshirts, but alas that just doesn't happen nowadays. I personally think he's in line for a Gabe York freshman year type minutes.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Hopefully not w the resident Gabe York crew telling him he needs more minutes and should transfer and could score 30 a game if he wants to lol.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I do not see Alex transferring quickly. Yes, there is a chance that if he gets through, say, a redshirt and a year or two years and there is simply no playing time for him still in 2019-20, that he could transfer. That isn't based on any knowledge...just common sense. He is not a player who will be content, with all the effort he has put into his game and the accolades he has earned, to look back on his college career as a 7 mpg kid who scored 1.3 and dished half a dime a game.

But there is no reason to expect a kid to hang around if that is the score. My wife transferred schools because of the elementary education program at her eventual alma mater...I have a friend who transferred for a girl. Of course he would consider transferring if he was getting played over the top of, meaning the kids at Arizona were just too consistently good, and he had the ability to be a regular starter/contributor at another level of school in D1. Who wouldn't? Anyone who says "I'd just be along for the parties, fame, and championships with Arizona" is a fanboy, not a player, and would never make it to the level where it mattered. If they actually have talent. If, somehow, it turns out Alex sucked and was way overrated and couldn't keep his shit together at D1 and would have to transfer to Central West ElTucky Tech to play, then maybe he stays at a good school near home and puts up his 1.3 and .5 and wears an Arizona jersey. But if he gets two or three years with a redshirt under his belt and he is still a 7 mpg guy who looks to be one for the rest of his career, but if he transfers to Nebraska, he is going to play 27 and put 11/5 up on the board while making the scoreboard video for trivia night? Yeah...he would probably transfer. I would. Anyone who was good at their sport would.

But he is not going to be frightened away immediately. That's just not this family. Case in point...Marvin Bagley left Corona. Sam Duane, the stud coach at Corona, left. There was no frontcourt, the coach he came to play for was gone, the other stud that was going to team with him and another D1 backcourt mate to win state titles and play elite games (Bagley) was gone. His sisters all played at Seton Catholic. He had good friends on Seton (wrong coach was hired, tho...there is some club game in the family). After his Sophomore year, he could have gone to Westwind and played with DeAndre and Marvin. He could have gone to a lot of places with higher profiles. But he didn't. He played at Corona for 4 years, even when Arizona high school hoops suffered a bit of a lull.

It just isn't in his DNA to leave a situation. Unless it is hopeless. He didn't verbal then sign then move to Tucson to not give it a legit shot. He will try to be a Wildcat for life.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hey I'm always a fan of guys who can shoot the hell out of the ball and provide a spark. I think when he's an upperclassmen he can get some real serious run and be that guy that opposing team's fans will loathe to no end. I just don't see a lot of minutes for him this year.

PJC, Zo, Rawle, Randolph, Akot, Lee, Ayton, Ristic. Those are your big minute guys and if we had to go with one more it'd probably be Pinder and maybeeeee D. Smith. I'd really like to see Barcello redshirt, but c'est la vie.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Hey I'm always a fan of guys who can shoot the hell out of the ball and provide a spark. I think when he's an upperclassmen he can get some real serious run and be that guy that opposing team's fans will loathe to no end. I just don't see a lot of minutes for him this year.

PJC, Zo, Rawle, Randolph, Akot, Lee, Ayton, Ristic. Those are your big minute guys and if we had to go with one more it'd probably be Pinder and maybeeeee D. Smith. I'd really like to see Barcello redshirt, but c'est la vie.
If Barcello is planning on getting minutes as a freshman, he should focus on trying to be a pg. That is a need position. Wing is stacked, and he won't be getting minutes over Rawle, Trier, Akot, Randolph or even Smith. If he can provide a legit option at pg, we need someone to at least spell PJC.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Hey I'm always a fan of guys who can shoot the hell out of the ball and provide a spark. I think when he's an upperclassmen he can get some real serious run and be that guy that opposing team's fans will loathe to no end. I just don't see a lot of minutes for him this year.

If Barcello is planning on getting minutes as a freshman, he should focus on trying to be a pg. That is a need position. Wing is stacked, and he won't be getting minutes over Rawle, Trier, Akot, Randolph or even Smith. If he can provide a legit option at pg, we need someone to at least spell PJC.
I think regardless the guy who is most likely to spell PJC this season is Trier. When that occurs I would fully expect to see Akot playing the point forward role.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I think regardless the guy who is most likely to spell PJC this season is Trier. When that occurs I would fully expect to see Akot playing the point forward role.
I agree. Based on last year and what he needs to show scouts, Trier should be on board. Also, it seems like Miller prefers Trier in this role at crunch time, so it makes sense to give this configuration reps. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine a relatively unheralded true freshman combo guard beating out Trier for that duty.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I agree. Based on last year and what he needs to show scouts, Trier should be on board. Also, it seems like Miller prefers Trier in this role at crunch time, so it makes sense to give this configuration reps. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine a relatively unheralded true freshman combo guard beating out Trier for that duty.
Yeah nobody is expecting Trier to be an actual point guard out there, but he will be the primary ball handler with PJC out, and will initiate the motion offense. As you mentioned Miller is going to trust his top returning guard to handle this duty over a combo guard freshman.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I agree, but I also don't see Barcello as a contributor his freshman year. The backup pg role is really the only one he could seize, bc I just cannot imagine him cracking the wing rotation.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I agree, but I also don't see Barcello as a contributor his freshman year. The backup pg role is really the only one he could seize, bc I just cannot imagine him cracking the wing rotation.
This year the only thing he be cracking:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Impossible. He's not 21.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

EVCat wrote:I do not see Alex transferring quickly...

...But he is not going to be frightened away immediately. That's just not this family. Case in point...Marvin Bagley left Corona. Sam Duane, the stud coach at Corona, left. There was no frontcourt, the coach he came to play for was gone, the other stud that was going to team with him and another D1 backcourt mate to win state titles and play elite games (Bagley) was gone. His sisters all played at Seton Catholic. He had good friends on Seton (wrong coach was hired, tho...there is some club game in the family). After his Sophomore year, he could have gone to Westwind and played with DeAndre and Marvin. He could have gone to a lot of places with higher profiles. But he didn't. He played at Corona for 4 years, even when Arizona high school hoops suffered a bit of a lull.

It just isn't in his DNA to leave a situation. Unless it is hopeless. He didn't verbal then sign then move to Tucson to not give it a legit shot. He will try to be a Wildcat for life.
That just got me so hype. Thank you for your posts in this thread EV...good stuff.

Put me in the camp that was never really pro, nor anti Gabe York. I kinda got and didn't disagree with what either side was saying back when he was playing. If ANY kid, who is good enough to get a scholarship at Arizona, comes in and gives it his all no matter what - those are my favorite players. Without fail.

**edit to add - PJC will be that kind of player this year. He'll have ups & downs & there will be times he gets called out on message boards - even rightfully. But I'm still gonna pull as hard as I can for him because he's been here from the beginning - giving it his all. And there will be a few times where it really pays off. That's the good stuff - to me anyway.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

We are going to have an insane amount of talent on the floor. PJC's role will be to distribute and make open shots. No doubt opponents will game plan to make PJC be the one to make plays. He'll be the one left open as teams double team Ayton & focus on Trier & Alkins. My biggest worry is that PJC is good enough against 90% of the competition but falls short against really good teams like the ones we'll play in late March. If PJC fails, I hope he fails early enough that Miller can make adjustments. But the worst case scenario is PJC plays just adequately enough to hold on to the point position because we don't have a better option, which means we won't be playing our five most talent players but instead our four most talented, plus PJC. Against really good opponents (like USC, UCLA) I fear the game will be decided by point guards head to head play while other players are essentially neutralized in match ups. He's gonna be our weakest link. He doesn't need to play great. He needs to play smart and simply take what opponents give him, which will be a lot I think.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:We are going to have an insane amount of talent on the floor. PJC's role will be to distribute and make open shots. No doubt opponents will game plan to make PJC be the one to make plays. He'll be the one left open as teams double team Ayton & focus on Trier & Alkins. My biggest worry is that PJC is good enough against 90% of the competition but falls short against really good teams like the ones we'll play in late March. If PJC fails, I hope he fails early enough that Miller can make adjustments. But the worst case scenario is PJC plays just adequately enough to hold on to the point position because we don't have a better option, which means we won't be playing our five most talent players but instead our four most talented, plus PJC. Against really good opponents (like USC, UCLA) I fear the game will be decided by point guards head to head play while other players are essentially neutralized in match ups. He's gonna be our weakest link. He doesn't need to play great. He needs to play smart and simply take what opponents give him, which will be a lot I think.
And defend. PJC, you always have to worry about him being overwhelmed physically on D. We really just need him to be good enough that our other players can do their thing. That's the bar he has to meet.

It will take a lot for other teams to play guys like Ayton, Trier and Alkins to a stalemate. What we need from PJC against the big time teams is not to give those advantages back. And eff SC and UCLA. I want a Final Four and NC. Yeah, it would be nice to win the Pac, but this is a big time team.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

The key to PJC on D is to have quick feet and especially quick and active hands. When he's playing well on D he's like a gnat that annoys you w his relatively long arms (for his size). For awhile there he was getting all kinds of steals whenever anyone would try and dribble by him in traffic. He's gonna get tossed around a bit but if he can stay in front of his man he can at least bother the gather before the shot and lower shooting % on him a bit. He's not going to block many shots.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Ya'll are worrying me about PJC. Do I need to be worried about PJC? Because I have very high expectations for this team. Like, '15 level expectations.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Ya'll are worrying me about PJC. Do I need to be worried about PJC? Because I have very high expectations for this team. Like, '15 level expectations.
Let's be real. We want a Final Four.

What are the chances we miss because:

1. Ayton, Dusan, Lee and Pinder aren't enough down low?
2. Trier, Alkins, Randolph, Akot and Smith aren't enough on the wing?
3. PJC isn't enough at PG?

Look, we have a very good team. The sky is far from falling. But if we don't achieve our goals this year, what is your money on in terms of what position wasn't enough?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

PennZona20 wrote:The key to PJC on D is to have quick feet and especially quick and active hands. When he's playing well on D he's like a gnat that annoys you w his relatively long arms (for his size). For awhile there he was getting all kinds of steals whenever anyone would try and dribble by him in traffic. He's gonna get tossed around a bit but if he can stay in front of his man he can at least bother the gather before the shot and lower shooting % on him a bit. He's not going to block many shots.
I think with PJC everything comes down to between his ears. I think he has the talent and (mostly) the physical tools to do exactly what you said. Does he have the toughness to do it every day. Hopefully another year of maturity will harden his mental game.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Ya'll are worrying me about PJC. Do I need to be worried about PJC? Because I have very high expectations for this team. Like, '15 level expectations.
Let us worry for you
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:
Let us worry for you
Cool. Not worried anymore.

Is it time for the red/blue game yet?

Bear down!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Got my 10 floor tickets! Sounds like I got lucky. A lot of people got on at 10a and were stuck with nose bleeds
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Totally agree. Unless he shows point skills at the high D1 level that have not been shown to this point. This team is loaded.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Impossible. He's not 21.
This is true. Little-known fact, but if you're underage, there's a magical barrier that prevents you from drinking... ;) :D
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Twitter is saying Bagley is officially filing the paperwork to reclassify to 2017. Guessing he's Duke bound then. Potentially USC but I hope not.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He is supposed to visit us next week so who knows
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat49 wrote:He is supposed to visit us next week so who knows
Duke and UCLA have the scholarship available already USC and Arizona need to find someone to volunteer to give it up. He's visiting all four schools before deciding.