let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '17

Post by ChooChooCat »

If he's reclassifying he's not coming to Arizona.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Basically if he reclassifies it's Duke likely USC maybe, if not it's 3 PAC schools or Duke.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If he's able to play NCAA ball this year, it's gonna be Duke. Makes the most sense for him. Highest profile program, and they've got space for him.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I can't begin to understand why not Arizona this season. All the minutes he wants on the best team in the country.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote:If he's able to play NCAA ball this year, it's gonna be Duke. Makes the most sense for him. Highest profile program, and they've got space for him.
We've got space. Talbott Denny was only promised a scholarship for one year.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:If he's able to play NCAA ball this year, it's gonna be Duke. Makes the most sense for him. Highest profile program, and they've got space for him.
My thoughts exactly!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
I don't know, Talbott Denny vs Marvin Bagley is a tough one...
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Talbot Denny coming off knee surgery v MB3 to be exact. I mean I guess if he wants to be the superstar and hyper focus every game Arizona isn't the best option w Ayton and Trier. But if he wants to win Arizona is the best option.

Plus aren't he and Ayton good friends from their Arizona prep days or did that end badly based on them both leaving or whatever?

If it ended badly and Miller doesn't want to disrupt chemistry I guess I see why he wouldn't come here. I get Dusan would be upset going to the 6th man roll but I also know that Miller is willing compile the golden st warriors if it gets him over the hump and that might trump all.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:Talbot Denny coming off knee surgery v MB3 to be exact. I mean I guess if he wants to be the superstar and hyper focus every game Arizona isn't the best option w Ayton and Trier. But if he wants to win Arizona is the best option.

Plus aren't he and Ayton good friends from their Arizona prep days or did that end badly based on them both leaving or whatever?

If it ended badly and Miller doesn't want to disrupt chemistry I guess I see why he wouldn't come here. I get Dusan would be upset going to the 6th man roll but I also know that Miller is willing compile the golden st warriors if it gets him over the hump and that might trump all.
Like most have said, it probably is close to a "zero chance," but it could work. Redshirt Pinder and give Dusan the major minutes off the bench and Dusan still plays a dec3nt bit. Yeah, the starting would hurt, but...

Chemistry wise, I think the bigger issue would be getting Ayton, Bagley, Trier and Alkins to buy into the team concept enough to make the necessary sacrifices. That is a lot of talent to be putting out there.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Can Denny be a walk-on after already being on scholarship? I always forget the rules with that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat34 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Can Denny be a walk-on after already being on scholarship? I always forget the rules with that.
If Bagley seriously wants to come here, there is a spot open. He could always leave to pursue other opportunities too. Including, but not limited to, watching Marvin Bagley play for Arizona if he so chooses.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If and it's a stretch to call it an IF at this time, Denny would likely move to a graduate assistant role if it came down to it.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:If and it's a stretch to call it an IF at this time, Denny would likely move to a graduate assistant role if it came down to it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Fwiw I don't think the Bagley visit happens. If he's adamant about switching to 2017 then Arizona won't waste its time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Fwiw I don't think the Bagley visit happens. If he's adamant about switching to 2017 then Arizona won't waste its time.
Honest question: why so certain Bagley will only consider Arizona in 2018?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Fwiw I don't think the Bagley visit happens. If he's adamant about switching to 2017 then Arizona won't waste its time.
Lot more shots to be had in 2018 presumably.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Just my opinion, but it's probably because we'll be practically losing our whole team after this season. Next year he'd be the man instead of competing with Trier, Ayton and Rawle for shots.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I get with us, I'm just not 100% how Duke is better. Here are the rosters:

PJC/Duval
Rawle/Trent
Trier/Allen
This is where Bagley would fit
Ayton/Carter or Bolden.

It's pretty close for me, honestly. PJC is by far the lowest number of shots, but after that, it's pretty even.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

PJC/Duval
Rawle/Trent
Trier/Allen
Ayton/Carter or Bolden.

It's pretty close for me, honestly. PJC is by far the lowest number of shots, but after that, it's pretty even.
You're forgetting what Ayton wants (play both 4 and 5) and in turn looking over a senior returning starter in Ristic destroys your entire narrative.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Honest question: why so certain Bagley will only consider Arizona in 2018?

PJC/Duval
Rawle/Trent
Trier/Allen
Ayton/Carter or Bolden.

You're forgetting what Ayton wants (play both 4 and 5) and in turn looking over a senior returning starter in Ristic destroys your entire narrative.
Maybe I'm cold, but I don't see Dusan as an impediment to bringing in Bagley. It's the same logic applying to bringing in Duval over PJC if we could. I don't think Ayton alone changes much. Both Ayton and Bagley have perimeter skill so you just have them trade places high and low. Defensively, the 4/5 are fluid.

I just don't get why Duke's situation of Carter and Bolden is so much different from Ayton and Dusan here. He may never seriously think about here, I get that, but I don't think the lineups are that different.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We can debate this plenty, but it's pointless. He's not coming to Arizona and the visit at this point isn't happening and that was Arizona's call.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I haven't seen anything (in this thread or elsewhere) making it seem probable that Bagley ends up at AZ.

USC makes the most sense, actually. He would be bigger than the program and attract more attention as an individual without competing with the "program" prestige of an AZ or Duke or KU.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I haven't seen anything (in this thread or elsewhere) making it seem probable that Bagley ends up at AZ.

USC makes the most sense, actually. He would be bigger than the program and attract more attention as an individual without competing with the "program" prestige of an AZ or Duke or KU.
Eh, Duke provides the most hype, which makes them the no brainer choice honestly for what the family wants. Add the fact that his grandparents live in Durham and it makes it easy for him. Either way as long as he's eligible for the 2018 draft then he will have reached his goal for this entire process.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I haven't seen anything (in this thread or elsewhere) making it seem probable that Bagley ends up at AZ.

Eh, Duke provides the most hype, which makes them the no brainer choice honestly for what the family wants. Add the fact that his grandparents live in Durham and it makes it easy for him. Either way as long as he's eligible for the 2018 draft then he will have reached his goal for this entire process.
I'd ask the record to reflect that he'll be in the same room with Grayson Allen for several hours every day. Nothing in life is without cost.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'd ask the record to reflect that he'll be in the same room with Grayson Allen for several hours every day. Nothing in life is without cost.
You win sir.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Duke definitely provides the most hype, but the player hype can get drowned out by the program hype, if you get me. This clearly hasn't stopped guys like Parker or Okafor or Ingram, but it's sounding like Bagley could be the best of them all. He strikes me as more of an OJ Mayo type. Guess we'll see.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Duke definitely provides the most hype, but the player hype can get drowned out by the program hype, if you get me. This clearly hasn't stopped guys like Parker or Okafor or Ingram, but it's sounding like Bagley could be the best of them all. He strikes me as more of an OJ Mayo type. Guess we'll see.
You mean the type of guy who goes to a non-basketball school cause he was paid?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

You mean the type of guy who goes to a non-basketball school cause he was paid?
Well, yes, but also the type of guy who really just wants a promotional platform for his brand. Pretty sure this is what we saw with Lonzo too, though Lonzo is reportedly a pretty good student.

It's hard to say no to a guy like Bagley, and I doubt any school would. I'm just not a fan of guys picking a school only weeks before the school year begins. Why couldn't he have done this months ago? Is he just indecisive?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:It's hard to say no to a guy like Bagley, and I doubt any school would. I'm just not a fan of guys picking a school only weeks before the school year begins. Why couldn't he have done this months ago? Is he just indecisive?
It's ridiculous that his family would attempt to shoehorn themselves into programs that have had their rosters set since May. It's August, Kansas is playing a game RIGHT NOW, we're up next week and he isn't even sure if this is the year he'll play in college.

I've heard that his Dad is a helicopter parent, a less outspoken (and less savvy) Lavar Ball. This choice to throw their weight into the 2017 class and have potential teammates wondering if they're going to lose their starting spot, their PT, or even their scholarship - it's fucked up, IMO.

All is fair in love and basketball I guess. But I really like the make-up of our team and I'm further convinced that I want nothing to do with the Bagley family, not in 2017.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:It's hard to say no to a guy like Bagley, and I doubt any school would. I'm just not a fan of guys picking a school only weeks before the school year begins. Why couldn't he have done this months ago? Is he just indecisive?
It's ridiculous that his family would attempt to shoehorn themselves into programs that have had their rosters set since May. It's August, Kansas is playing a game RIGHT NOW, we're up next week and he isn't even sure if this is the year he'll play in college.

I've heard that his Dad is a helicopter parent, a less outspoken (and less savvy) Lavar Ball. This choice to throw their weight into the 2017 class and have potential teammates wondering if they're going to lose their starting spot, their PT, or even their scholarship - it's fucked up, IMO.

All is fair in love and basketball I guess. But I really like the make-up of our team and I'm further convinced that I want nothing to do with the Bagley family, not in 2017.

I agree w all this. Still, if Bagley goes to USC or (more likely) Duke, it may fuck up our goal to win a Natty if he's on either team. He had the potential to be that game-changing. He's reportedly the best prospect since Lebron and definitely best since the brow. He really changes the college basketball landscape unless he went to UW or something.

For that reason alone I want him in the 2018 class but it seems likely he's going to get into college in 2017 somehow.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Absolutely. And it pisses me off that this guy's whims could have such a strong impact on the entire NCAA season. If Bagley plays NCAA ball this year, wherever it may be, it suddenly becomes the biggest storyline of the year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:

I mean I don't disagree with you, but let me make it clear, the Bagleys give absolutely zero fucks if Marvin logs a single minute of NCAA basketball this upcoming season. The goal was to graduate and be eligible for this upcoming draft and quit wasting time and make that money. He's going #1 whether he plays a minute or not and he knows that.

If he can qualify to play NCAA basketball this upcoming year great, if not as long as he graduates he could give two shits less. Obviously they care very little how this impacts the teams he would even consider playing for, because he knows he's going to get his if he does play.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Don't trip.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

I mean I don't disagree with you, but let me make it clear, the Bagleys give absolutely zero fucks if Marvin logs a single minute of NCAA basketball this upcoming season. The goal was to graduate and be eligible for this upcoming draft and quit wasting time and make that money. He's going #1 whether he plays a minute or not and he knows that.

If he can qualify to play NCAA basketball this upcoming year great, if not as long as he graduates he could give two shits less. Obviously they care very little how this impacts the teams he would even consider playing for, because he knows he's going to get his if he does play.

I can already see it. He costs UA a title by not giving a fuck. He's definitely gonna be bad for team chemistry wherever he lands. I'd take him next year because it'll be a mass exodus and we will neeed talent but this year he might do more harm than good. He doesn't play PG and we have plenty of talent everywhere else.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'll just go ahead and agree across the board.

Bagley to USC makes their frontcourt ridiculously strong (give Metu, Boatwright, and Bagley 27min and we've got a problem). Bagley to Duke fixes their starting post problem and makes their 1-5 the best in CBB. Yes: both of those could fuck up our search for a title. Bagley on any contender would.

I recently watched a video of Bagley from this past spring where he played against Ira Lee and Shareef O'Neal's Crossroads team. He may as well have been Kevin Durant - just completely dominated those kids. He will tilt the landscape of college basketball.

Bagley to Duke makes the most sense to me right now. Marques Bolden did nothing to impress last year - so an easy starting spot - and Bagley would benefit from the passing of Allen and Duval. They've also got an open roster spot - unlike USC and Arizona (though of course people make room).

And lastly I agree that the Bagleys don't give a fuck, that their end game is to get drafted ASAP. Another reason I'm skeptical of his fit within any team. If he remains a member of the class of 2018, I'll bury those concerns and hold out hope he chooses the Cats.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

YoDeFoe wrote:I'll just go ahead and agree across the board.

Bagley to USC makes their frontcourt ridiculously strong (give Metu, Boatwright, and Bagley 27min and we've got a problem). Bagley to Duke fixes their starting post problem and makes their 1-5 the best in CBB. Yes: both of those could fuck up our search for a title. Bagley on any contender would.

I recently watched a video of Bagley from this past spring where he played against Ira Lee and Shareef O'Neal's Crossroads team. He may as well have been Kevin Durant - just completely dominated those kids. He will tilt the landscape of college basketball.

Bagley to Duke makes the most sense to me right now. Marques Bolden did nothing to impress last year - so an easy starting spot - and Bagley would benefit from the passing of Allen and Duval. They've also got an open roster spot - unlike USC and Arizona (though of course people make room).

And lastly I agree that the Bagleys don't give a fuck, that their end game is to get drafted ASAP. Another reason I'm skeptical of his fit within any team. If he remains a member of the class of 2018, I'll bury those concerns and hold out hope he chooses the Cats.
If we are playing Duke or USC with Bagley on their team we would have to bench Ristic, move Ayton to the 5, move Akot into the four slot and hope Rawle's muscle and resolve is improved enough defensively from his freshman year. Arizona's front line is still solid enough with Pinder, Lee and Ristic backing up the aforementioned group.

Akot will prove to be a godsend and Miller's defensive focus would finally pay dividends in the tournament as defense would be the key to neutralizing Bagley's presence.

Indeed, I wonder if Ristic isn't the Achilles heel on this team, as opposed to PJC being the primary issue.

This team has a ton of shooters. I'd prefer they surround Akot and Ayton all season long giving Ristic 15 minutes a game and no more.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

I can already see it. He costs UA a title by not giving a fuck. He's definitely gonna be bad for team chemistry wherever he lands. I'd take him next year because it'll be a mass exodus and we will neeed talent but this year he might do more harm than good. He doesn't play PG and we have plenty of talent everywhere else.
Eh, I think casual fans underrate how many individual agendas there are on each team. Take Dusan for example. He isn't fighting for the #1 spot, or even first round status, and Choochoo's talked about how pissed he'd be if we brought Bagley in.

How many scholarships do we have? That's how many individual agendas we have. They operate from middling to strong.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hank of sb wrote:
This team has a ton of shooters. I'd prefer they surround Akot and Ayton all season long giving Ristic 15 minutes a game and no more.
You and me both, but we both know that's not happening. In a game where Ristic just isn't worth a shit against his man then sure he could very well be in for 15 minutes, but he'll average around 25mpg this season at least.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Better passing would really increase Ristic's value. He's not going to get quicker, but he can do that. If he did, there would be a lot of open shots on the perimeter.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Better passing would really increase Ristic's value. He's not going to get quicker, but he can do that. If he did, there would be a lot of open shots on the perimeter.
Yeah. Agility and the inability to rotate the ball out of a double quickly are easily the two most frustrating parts of Dusan's game. He never hits quickly. Half the time he has to try to reverse dribble out of it to kick to the perimeter.

Compare to a guy like LeBron, who is the current gold standard IMO in post passing. The second a double is to him, the ball is out to the right person.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:Better passing would really increase Ristic's value. He's not going to get quicker, but he can do that. If he did, there would be a lot of open shots on the perimeter.
Yeah. Agility and the inability to rotate the ball out of a double quickly are easily the two most frustrating parts of Dusan's game. He never hits quickly. Half the time he has to try to reverse dribble out of it to kick to the perimeter.

Compare to a guy like LeBron, who is the current gold standard IMO in post passing. The second a double is to him, the ball is out to the right person.
Did you just say Dusan is as good as Lebron and will likely make more money and you'll write a poem about it because their names rhyme?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Dusan cut his TO% nearly in half last season... but unfortunately he also cut his assist rate in half. Great scorer but needs to feel free to move the ball much more often in the offense.

16 assists and 39 TOs last season, against about 300 FGAs.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Did you just say Dusan is as good as Lebron and will likely make more money and you'll write a poem about it because their names rhyme?
https://youtu.be/nFTRwD85AQ4" target="_blank

They're both one in a million.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'd settle for Luke Walton, but that's still asking a lot. Karnowski on Gonzaga got really good at making teams pay for the double team. Didn't always have that skill. It's doable.

Kevin Love was really good at that in college, back when he was pudgy.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

gumby wrote:Karnowski on Gonzaga got really good at making teams pay for the double team. Didn't always have that skill. It's doable.

I don't know dude, Karnowski may not have been quite as skilled at it toward the beginning, but I can't remember ever watching him and thinking anything besides "This kid is deadly when you double him". To think Dusan can do anything in the same ballpark is, to put it mildy, incredibly optimistic
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

For guy who touches the ball only in the post, his turnover numbers are atrocious. And he's a defensive liability against teams that spread you out.
gumby

Post by gumby »

dcZONAfan wrote:
gumby wrote:Karnowski on Gonzaga got really good at making teams pay for the double team. Didn't always have that skill. It's doable.

I don't know dude, Karnowski may not have been quite as skilled at it toward the beginning, but I can't remember ever watching him and thinking anything besides "This kid is deadly when you double him". To think Dusan can do anything in the same ballpark is, to put it mildy, incredibly optimistic
Dude.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I'd prefer they surround Akot and Ayton all season long .
I feel like some people are setting Akot's expectations too high. 'He's gonna be awesome defensively, he's gonna be able to play small ball PF for us, he's gonna be awesome setting people up and running the offense, he might leave for the draft' etc. I think he will probably play the 5th most minutes just from our perimeter players (Trier, Rawle, PJC, and Randolph). Then Smith and Barcello are going to get some minutes. I don't think he is going to have a big role on the team next year and I see no way he leaves after next year for the NBA.
gumby

Post by gumby »

You should never set akot too high.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:
I'd prefer they surround Akot and Ayton all season long .
I feel like some people are setting Akot's expectations too high. 'He's gonna be awesome defensively, he's gonna be able to play small ball PF for us, he's gonna be awesome setting people up and running the offense, he might leave for the draft' etc. I think he will probably play the 5th most minutes just from our perimeter players (Trier, Rawle, PJC, and Randolph). Then Smith and Barcello are going to get some minutes. I don't think he is going to have a big role on the team next year and I see no way he leaves after next year for the NBA.
I don't know if this is too high, but I expect him to be a work in progress. He has a lot of talent, but he's young and needs to season. I hope Miller can use the weaker non-conference schedule to get him acclimated.

With Akot, it's really how he ends Pac play. That's when it should hopefully really be coming together.