Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by gumby »

Just saw the news. Take back all my bitching about the free throws. This is a huge hurdle, and break for other teams. Dammit.
Right where I want to be.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

If we didn't have bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck at all. I just hope none of these injuries (Trier, Ray Smith) are career changing and they both come back strong. Really, really sucks.

Time for this team to circle the wagons. Everyone can step up and we can still be dangerous. Justin Simon, I see you.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Sigh.

I'm really sick and tired of the Arizona injury bug.

Here's hoping the comes back strong down the road.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

It's been a long, long sports year so far -- started with Cody Ippolito, right?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I took the weekend off here and this happens. You've got to be kidding me. The last 3 years have had so much bad luck.

Get well, Zo.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

How many times have we seen Zo penetrate and end up hard on the floor afterwards??? After he's back, and with this year's luck, I'll be a bit anxious each time this happens....kind of like I'm with Zeus when he lands hard.

Dear Lord, please forgive us for whatever pissed you off :-). Now for my half-Buddha side, we need some Monks with their incense sticks and chants to cleanse the team of the bad juju!

Bear Down!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hopefully it is only 2 weeks back for that third weekend of games
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Hopefully it is only 2 weeks back for that third weekend of games
Is there a chance he is out only 2 weeks? I thought it was 4-6... If there is a chance he is back in only 2 that makes a huge difference.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Man that would be great. If we can get him back for the Oregon game we will still be in great shape to win the league
Bangkok Wildcat

Hey azcat49, you got a source for this 2 week optimism? I haven't seen any update from the 4-6 weeks prognosis yet......Thanks.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Hey azcat49, you got a source for this 2 week optimism? I haven't seen any update from the 4-6 weeks prognosis yet......Thanks.
I've seen 2-4 weeks replacing the 4-6 weeks from a usually reliable source not to be named.
I have NOT seen a 2 week estimate all by itself and would not believe it if I did.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

The injury he sustained is not possible to recover from in 2 weeks. 4 weeks would be optimistic.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'm fairly certain that you can bank on 6 weeks...Miller tends to hold players out longer after rushing Parrom back from his injury...he seems to err on the side of caution now.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:I'm fairly certain that you can bank on 6 weeks...Miller tends to hold players out longer after rushing Parrom back from his injury...he seems to err on the side of caution now.
He didn't hold out Zeus the longest he could have.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I'm fairly certain that you can bank on 6 weeks...Miller tends to hold players out longer after rushing Parrom back from his injury...he seems to err on the side of caution now.
i'm sure he'll lean on the medical staff to give the green light. hard for any of us to predict how long 'zo will be out anyway without knowing the severity of the fracture. hope he doesn't go too stir-crazy during the recovery!
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Popsicle stick, gorilla tape & a shot of butazol - play ball.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

:lol:

robohands! why can't our engineering & medical schools fashion trier some robohands?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
i'm sure he'll lean on the medical staff to give the green light. hard for any of us to predict how long 'zo will be out anyway without knowing the severity of the fracture. hope he doesn't go too stir-crazy during the recovery!
You have to lean on the medical staff to do the job. That said, unlike Parrom or even Zeus, a fracture in the hand isn't weight bearing and causes a lot less concern for recurring issues. You don't have the issue of every trip up and down the court reaggravating it. He just needs not to take shots to the hand or brace falls with it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote::lol:

robohands! why can't our engineering & medical schools fashion trier some robohands?
What level of ability to catch and finish are you programming in? Are we talking Kyryl or Shaq hands?

More to the point, that kind of stuff is exactly what allowed Skynet to become self aware.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dirtbags wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
You have to lean on the medical staff to do the job. That said, unlike Parrom or even Zeus, a fracture in the hand isn't weight bearing and causes a lot less concern for recurring issues. You don't have the issue of every trip up and down the court reaggravating it. He just needs not to take shots to the hand or brace falls with it.
True, hands don't take the pounding feet and legs do, but I used to play a lot of basketball, and it's just about impossible to not avoid some sort of minor trauma to your hands. Passes come in really hard, and at least for me as a big, trying to get rebounds is very hard on your fingers. I haven't played in 13 years or so, but my knuckles are still quite large and swollen. Haven't been able to get my wedding ring off in 25 years or so. Trier also has to be considered about dribbling with his hurt hand.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dirtbags wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
True, hands don't take the pounding feet and legs do, but I used to play a lot of basketball, and it's just about impossible to not avoid some sort of minor trauma to your hands. Passes come in really hard, and at least for me as a big, trying to get rebounds is very hard on your fingers. I haven't played in 13 years or so, but my knuckles are still quite large and swollen. Haven't been able to get my wedding ring off in 25 years or so. Trier also has to be considered about dribbling with his hurt hand.
I don't mean it doesn't suck. I also played ball for many years and my right pinky is shaped like a question mark from shattering it in a high school game.

I just mean that the majority of trauma is from individual shots, and to a certain extent, if you have a fracture that isn't going to shift and you don't take any more shots on it, you can play through the pain. With a foot fracture, you just have to shut someone down or risk their future.

Most everyone who plays in the NBA will have a bodypart that never lets them forget it. Heck, I never sniffed the NBA and my ankle and pinky are affected for life.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

It happened late in the 2nd half and he went on to score 10 more pts. Wow
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Heck, I never sniffed the NBA and my ankle and pinky are affected for life.
Amazing coincidence Spiff, I had a high ankle sprain I received playing basketball over 20 years ago which did not heal up right and still hurts. Hurts right now just thinking about it. Another time about the same period I was playing bball and caught my pinky on some guy's jersey running the other way and it bent it all the back, tearing the ligament. It also did not heal up correctly, and ended up having surgery on it.

Posted these at the TOS. Ignore the awesome 'stache, but this was as far as I could straighten my pinky out.

After surgery. Still can't straighten it out completely, but at least I can someone use it.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin, you have my sympathy. I broke my left ankle and tore all ligaments in it. My right pinky had 4 fractures between 1st and 2nd joint and needed pins. When I put my hand flat on a table, the pinky points at my ring finger.

That said, I would trade 10 hand/finger injuries for a leg injury. It's hard to find pics of Larry Bird's mutant right index finger, but he was one of the greatest shooters in history with a massively jacked up shooting hand.

WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

That stache is prolific Merkin!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Heck, I never sniffed the NBA and my ankle and pinky are affected for life.
Amazing coincidence Spiff, I had a high ankle sprain I received playing basketball over 20 years ago which did not heal up right and still hurts. Hurts right now just thinking about it. Another time about the same period I was playing bball and caught my pinky on some guy's jersey running the other way and it bent it all the back, tearing the ligament. It also did not heal up correctly, and ended up having surgery on it.

Posted these at the TOS. Ignore the awesome 'stache, but this was as far as I could straighten my pinky out.

After surgery. Still can't straighten it out completely, but at least I can someone use it.

Merk,

Did your pinky ever straighten out? Had a friend break his also, and it looked
just like this. Doc said they'd have to break it to fix it.

I just read what you wrote earlier. Oops..
Last edited by HiCat on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Those pics of Bird and Merkin are like a before and after.

Sorry Merk, I couldn't resist.

I on the other hand only look like the before pic for every exercise contraption you've ever seen.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

LBdCactus wrote:Those pics of Bird and Merkin are like a before and after.
Cliff: Merkin you tell me you know Larry Bird?
Merkin: I don't have to know him. He's from French Lick, Indiana. He's a doofus.
Carla: So what? You're from Indiana and you're a doofus.
Merkin: Yeah but I would rather be a doofus from Hanover than a doofus from French Lick. Everyone from Hanover knows that French Lick is the doofus capital of Indiana. Of course everyone from French Lick thinks it's Hanover. It's the fuel of a raging controversy.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
I've seen 2-4 weeks replacing the 4-6 weeks from a usually reliable source not to be named.
I have NOT seen a 2 week estimate all by itself and would not believe it if I did.

If there’s any good news out of Trier’s injury for the Wildcats, it’s that he might actually be able to return on the shorter end of that 4-6 week estimate. Miller said he might even be cleared to start shooting and handling the ball before that 4-6 week window.

If he misses four weeks, Trier might be able to return just in time for UA’s early February trip to his home state of Washington. The Wildcats and Huskies will meet Thursday at McKale and on Feb. 6 in Seattle.

“I don’t know if it’ll be six weeks -- worst case scenario -- or maybe sooner than four, which would be the best,” Miller said. “We can’t control that other than that to than keep his mindset and keep him engaged as much as we can.”

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... &id=201408" target="_blank
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Bangkok Wildcat

Man, with the way he penetrates and ends up hard on the floor often, this has got to be an area of concern when he gets back and going forwards. We need him healthy!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Coach said he would be wearing a pad for a while.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

didn't DWill play an entire season with a hand fracture? or was it a finger fracture? man he would dunk hard even with the injured hand!
Bangkok Wildcat

CBCat wrote:didn't DWill play an entire season with a hand fracture? or was it a finger fracture? man he would dunk hard even with the injured hand!
I think it was his finger and he had them taped together if I recall correctly.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Been what, 3 weeks now? Don't think he'd play this week, maybe against UCLA in 12 days.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If docs clear him and he's not having discomfort, he'll play. These young guys have incredible recovery speeds.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ASUHATER! wrote:Been what, 3 weeks now? Don't think he'd play this week, maybe against UCLA in 12 days.
Wait, you're not talking an optimistic stance????

What is this, bizarro world?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Been what, 3 weeks now? Don't think he'd play this week, maybe against UCLA in 12 days.
He should just retire now and get it over with.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dcZONAfan wrote:

In what way is my statement negative?? They said he'd be out 4-6 weeks. It's been 3. Simple logic dictates it may not be until UCLA game he's back. Are you just trying to be an idiot on purpose?

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
Blowing out each knee within a year is a wee bit harder to recover from than a small broken hand bone.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wasn't mid February his targeted return?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Blowing out each knee within a year is a wee bit harder to recover from than a small broken hand bone.
Thank you doctor.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Isn't blowing out a knee when you tear all the ligaments, not just one? Can I have your expert opinion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

WildcatStunner wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Isn't blowing out a knee when you tear all the ligaments, not just one? Can I have your expert opinion?
Shaun Livingston says hi!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

WildcatStunner wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I'm sorry, tearing your acl is minor. same kinda injury as a paper cut. :roll:

Can I get your expert opinion on why blowing out each knee in a year is no big deal? I'll wait. And wait. And wait.....

WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

ASUHATER! wrote:
WildcatStunner wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Can I get your expert opinion on why blowing out each knee in a year is no big deal? I'll wait. And wait. And wait.....
Not sure if this is addressed to me, I never mentioned any thing close to saying an ACL tear is no big deal. I was asking if blowing your knee out is when you tear you ACL, MCL, and Meniscus in one go. But if you thinking I said something like that makes you feel like you validated your contrarian view, more power to you.

Take from this what you will:

Six years after surgery, about 19 percent of participants had undergone at least one more surgery on the initial damaged knee. In addition, 10 percent had undergone surgery on the other knee—6.4 percent of these procedures were to reconstruct a ruptured ACL.

http://www.niams.nih.gov/News_and_Event ... uction.asp" target="_blank

If he had done more than just tear an ACL, I would feel like he could not fully recover. Considering he is 18-19 I like his chances. I also did take the time to consult a family member who is an orthopedic surgeon. He said that an ACL tear is minor as long as there was not any other damage done when the injury happened :roll:.

But Smith probably should give up.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

WildcatStunner wrote:
Not sure if this is addressed to me, I never mentioned any thing close to saying an ACL tear is no big deal. I was asking if blowing your knee out is when you tear you ACL, MCL, and Meniscus in one go. But if you thinking I said something like that makes you feel like you validated your contrarian view, more power to you.

Six years after surgery, about 19 percent of participants had undergone at least one more surgery on the initial damaged knee. In addition, 10 percent had undergone surgery on the other knee—6.4 percent of these procedures were to reconstruct a ruptured ACL.

If he had done more than just tear an ACL, I would feel like he could not fully recover. Considering he is 18-19 I like his chances. I also did take the time to consult a family member who is an orthopedic surgeon. He said that an ACL tear is minor as long as there was not any other damage done when the injury happened :roll:.

LAWYERED!!!!!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

In what way is my statement negative?? They said he'd be out 4-6 weeks. It's been 3. Simple logic dictates it may not be until UCLA game he's back. Are you just trying to be an idiot on purpose?
Pessimism and negativity are not the same things, bub
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

WildcatStunner wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
WildcatStunner wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Sureeeeeeee you did. I'll go ask my "uncle" who runs Johns Hopkins and then have tea with the queen.

Basically all I get from this post is that you're just being contrarian to my post to just be contrarian.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dcZONAfan wrote:
WildcatStunner wrote:

LAWYERED!!!!!
Not even remotely lawyered. But back to the topic at hand, a small bone break in your hand is a much more minor injury than blowing out both your knees in a year. Trier will be fine within a few weeks. Smith? No one knows, not even wildcatstunners convenient "orthopedic surgeon family member". What we do know is that once you've blown out your knees, 18 years old or not, you become much more likely to injure them again more easily.