84Cat

Re: lets talk '16

Post by 84Cat »

What do we know about this guy?

6'8" forward from San Diego
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

After spending two years in New Orleans, the California native elected to transfer a week ago following the termination of Tulane head coach Ed Conroy. Osetkowski was the team's leading rebounder at 8.4 per game and also scored 11.4 points. No other Green Wave player was on the court for more minutes last season than Osetkowski and he responded with 40 steals, 18 blocks, and 52 assists to complement his 11 double doubles.
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/3 ... rns-tulane" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Tulane was terrible this year
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:What do we know about this guy?

Nothing other than stats. They don't blow me away given that Tulane was not a very good team.

https://youtu.be/JbMSdirHUo8" target="_blank

https://youtu.be/nI89hJYMqRo" target="_blank

Reminds me of Korcheck, maybe?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I assume he'd have to redshirt next year? Could be a Korcheck like backup in 2017-2019.

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

To me if seemed like he didn't want to answer/not give away anything, then just said MSU.

Kobi Simmons new #1 recruiter
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:A program tends to overstate size a lot, football, basketball in their offical books.
Chance was most commonly listed as 6'10, Tollefson & Anderson were 6'8.

I think Dusan probably is a true 7 foot, Markkanen probably under

Kobi is listed from 6'5 to 6'6 most common is 6'5
Rawle 6'4-6'5 most common 6'4
Ferguson 6'5-6'7 most common 6'6
Josh Jackson 6'7-6'8+ most common 6'7
Ray Smith 6'7-6'8 most common 6'8

The last point, I don't think bigger teams win. You win with good guards. Even short(er) ones like Napier, Russ Smith, Peyton Siva, Kemba, Tyus Jones etc. We have good guards who happen to be tall.
To your point, last year we had bad guards who happened to be short. Any reason why every guy you named was predominantly a point guard by the way? I was more complaining about our wings than anything else who were short, didn't rebound, and didn't do much to help win games outside of score here and there.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

McD's AA: Monday practice
Eric Bossi | National Analyst
Let's start at the top with 2016's No. 1 overall player Josh Jackson. When he wanted to, the undecided senior made it look easy on both ends of the floor. He got where he wanted to via the dribble, made plays for others and used his ample athleticism when needed. He had just as many good moments on defense as he did offense and one of Arizona, Kansas and Michigan State is getting an impact player.
//
Given his reputation for being a dangerous jump shooter, Terrance Ferguson is a guy whose name many of the 50 or so NBA scouts in attendance had circled. The 6-foot-6 undecided wing didn't disappoint, hitting several jumpers from NBA range and beyond. He's easily got the prettiest shot in the class of 2016 and will help either Arizona, Baylor or Kansas space the floor with his shooting.
https://basketballrecruiting.n.rivals.c ... y-practice" target="_blank
ChooChooCat wrote: To your point, last year we had bad guards who happened to be short. Any reason why every guy you named was predominantly a point guard by the way? I was more complaining about our wings than anything else who were short, didn't rebound, and didn't do much to help win games outside of score here and there.
Just off the top of head, no real reason. I agree about the wings, I think I misread your post.
HibachiZero

Post by HibachiZero »

Man I am starting really want Ferguson. Almost more than JJ. It will be so nice to have a real shooter on our team again.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

:lol:

Just recruit some freshman who's ranked 50-70 that wants to be a developmental player at a high major.

I'm not an expert, but it feels like we're making some of this recruiting stuff way harder than it would seem like it needs to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:

Just recruit some freshman who's ranked 50-70 that wants to be a developmental player at a high major.

I'm not an expert, but it feels like we're making some of this recruiting stuff way harder than it would seem like it needs to be.
That's nice and all except there's none of those that exist in Late March with Spring signing day a week away.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

SCCats wrote:

The problem is, anymore, the only redshirt years that occur are via transfers, so if you can get a physically more mature player and redshirt him, then get 2 years or even 3 years in a few instances, that's pretty great.

Most incoming freshman ranked 40-90 expect playing time. Sidiki, Chol, Victor are all examples. Simon as well. He'd rather transfer and sit out than redshirt here or have a smaller role. The days of Terry waiting for his chance to shine are gone.

You need to have a consistent 12-15 mpg role immediately for all incoming players. If you don't, they are gone. If that doesn't improve in year two, they are gone.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Pretty pretty please

Matt Jones (SR), Luke Kennard, Frank Jackson coming in and Grayson Allen possibly coming back, would be above him in the depth chart.
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:

That's nice and all except there's none of those that exist in Late March with Spring signing day a week away.
Why, do we need this guy right now?

Start doing it in next year's recruiting class.

But don't try and tell me we need this guy, this guy that managed, in his last game of the season (a 20 point loss to MEMPHIS of all people), 6 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 TO on 33% shooting in 28 minutes against the mighty Tigers.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

JMarkJohns wrote:Most incoming freshman ranked 40-90 expect playing time. Sidiki, Chol, Victor are all examples. Simon as well. He'd rather transfer and sit out than redshirt here or have a smaller role. The days of Terry waiting for his chance to shine are gone.
The guys ranked 15-40 expect playing time right away. Most of them probably also expect to play college ball for one year and then off to the riches of the NBA as a first round pick. That's certainly what they've been told for the entirety of their lives.

Talk to the guys ranked 50-100. Find some guys with upside who will be patient and develop at a big time school instead of going to some mid major to fight for time right away. There's sure to be some out there if we took the time to locate them. Of course we haven't shown any interest in locating them and having those kind of players on our roster so I'm not holding out much hope.
az91

Post by az91 »

Maybe he is a practice body?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

The tweet only says that we have talked to him. No scholie offer that we know of. I agree though, get a 3/4 star that is hungry to prove that he is the next dwill and let him grow from within the program. I'm not that big on all of these transfers for the most part.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote: Pretty pretty please
That would be interesting. That's a big deal after he reclassified to go to Duke.
gumby

Post by gumby »

He couldn't crack the starting lineup. Another Myck Kabongo?
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:
SCCats wrote:

The problem is, anymore, the only redshirt years that occur are via transfers, so if you can get a physically more mature player and redshirt him, then get 2 years or even 3 years in a few instances, that's pretty great.

Most incoming freshman ranked 40-90 expect playing time. Sidiki, Chol, Victor are all examples. Simon as well. He'd rather transfer and sit out than redshirt here or have a smaller role. The days of Terry waiting for his chance to shine are gone.

You need to have a consistent 12-15 mpg role immediately for all incoming players. If you don't, they are gone. If that doesn't improve in year two, they are gone.
I agree with that, and would add that in my opinion, we had five guys who fit that profile (at least) get significant minutes last year. PJC, York, Pitts, Comanche and Ristic all fit that 40-70 developmental prospect profile.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Why, do we need this guy right now?

Start doing it in next year's recruiting class.

But don't try and tell me we need this guy, this guy that managed, in his last game of the season (a 20 point loss to MEMPHIS of all people), 6 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 TO on 33% shooting in 28 minutes against the mighty Tigers.
At this point Arizona needs practice bodies for next season. So whether its this guy, another guy, or this guy and another guy, we need somebody and a freshman for the 2017 class isn't going to help that.

I'm not saying this guy is great or anything, but he put up 11ppg & 8 rpg in Division I bball, and he's a big body who would give the program 3 years. We could do worse for a fill in. In essence he's a more proven Korcheck. I don't remember any outrage over him being on the roster.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote: Pretty pretty please
That would be interesting. That's a big deal after he reclassified to go to Duke.
Now that's a transfer I'd be all in for.
gumby

Post by gumby »

HibachiZero wrote:Man I am starting really want Ferguson. Almost more than JJ. It will be so nice to have a real shooter on our team again.
I'm right with you.
Right where I want to be.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

don't know anything about the tulane guy, but that could be the coaching staff attempting to mitigate the leadership gap next season, which is a concern.

and if thornton is packing his bags, maybe 'zo could point him towards tucson. :) did DT tryout for CSM's fiba u19 team last summer? can't remember.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

According to Dukies, if he transfers; Thornton wants to be closer to home, and he might not see the floor with Frank Jackson coming in (who's better and a SR Matt Jones also there).
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yes Please on Thornton. Isn't he Findley prep? Did we recruit him?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Right up until PJC's camp went berserk about it.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yes Please on Thornton. Isn't he Findley prep? Did we recruit him?
Yes. Apparently AZ was a leader at one point, but drama with the PJC camp allegedly caused Arizona to back down its recruitment. Still, can you imagine if Thornton truly became in play again?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yes Please on Thornton. Isn't he Findley prep? Did we recruit him?
Yeah he was one of our top priorities for 2016.

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

midnightx wrote: Still, can you imagine if Thornton truly became in play again?
Let's see: ranked 14 in his class. Yes I can imagine it.

We talk to Thorton and he wants to come. PJC announces his transfer. Thorton comes and sits for a year. The only active PG on our roster for 2016-2017 is....Kadeem (?). Thorton plays for a year and bounces to the NBA.

Seriously, pass.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

SCCats wrote:
midnightx wrote: Still, can you imagine if Thornton truly became in play again?
Let's see: ranked 14 in his class. Yes I can imagine it.

We talk to Thorton and he wants to come. PJC announces his transfer. Thorton comes and sits for a year. The only active PG on our roster for 2016-2017 is....Kadeem (?). Thorton plays for a year and bounces to the NBA.

Seriously, pass.
Forget about Simmons?

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Forget about Simmons?
For some reason in my mind I had Simmons as a SG.

My point still stands. I don't think the investment is worth it for one year at the PG position two years from now for a guy that averaged 7/2/1.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Why would we pass on Thorton? Because he is a 1 year guy. Every guy we seem to recruit is a 1 year guy it seems
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

catgrad97 wrote:Right up until PJC's camp went berserk about it.
Whoa, what happened? I didn't hear the backstory.

Jeez, to have Thornton over PJC...wow.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

nm duplicate
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

midnightx wrote:
Yes. Apparently AZ was a leader at one point, but drama with the PJC camp allegedly caused Arizona to back down its recruitment. Still, can you imagine if Thornton truly became in play again?
how does/did this happen?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:Why would we pass on Thorton? Because he is a 1 year guy. Every guy we seem to recruit is a 1 year guy it seems
Agree J, I'd rather have the 1 year guys that our straight up about it rather than the "yeah coach I'm a team player and can give you 2" smoke several seem to be blowing.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
midnightx wrote:
http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... f=8&t=3532" target="_blank
97cats wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
So he didn't come here because of a fringe PG two classes ahead of him?
he didnt come here cause the staff backed off him to keep Cartwright -- i know it hurts the brain to read, as it hurt my brain to hear it at the time.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azcat49 wrote:Why would we pass on Thorton? Because he is a 1 year guy. Every guy we seem to recruit is a 1 year guy it seems
We're going to recruit one year guys, but I think we should (generally) look more closely at the mix of one year and developmental guys.

For Thorton specifically, we lose PJC, we have to use a scholi for him to sit a year, then he plays one year after averaging 7/2/1 in his year at Duke. That's if we even get him to play one year which, with how these high level guys are, is a who knows situation. I would say that's a very marginal trade off.

Have a plan. Execute the plan.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

247 crystal ball has Ferguson up to 67% to Arizona
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why would Thornton only play one year?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote:247 crystal ball has Ferguson up to 67% to Arizona
I watched a few U19 games on youtube to see TF, Zo and JJ, and was impressed again by TF. JJ is #1, but TF is really good.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Duke fans think it's done & he's gone, and his dad is the leading the charge (apparently very vocal about the situation).
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Transfer Simon for Thornton? Works for me.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Why would anyone think Thornton is transferring anywhere, let alone Arizona? Pure hearsay at this point; nothing official. Or even remotely official.

And those JJ interviews sure make it sound like he's going to MSU.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
midnightx wrote:
http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... f=8&t=3532" target="_blank
97cats wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
So he didn't come here because of a fringe PG two classes ahead of him?
he didnt come here cause the staff backed off him to keep Cartwright -- i know it hurts the brain to read, as it hurt my brain to hear it at the time.
Wow, shit...I mean I love the guy, but what a miss by Miller. Two years under TJ and one with the keys to the caddie. DT'd be 1st rounder for sure
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Beachcat97 wrote:Why would anyone think Thornton is transferring anywhere, let alone Arizona? Pure hearsay at this point; nothing official. Or even remotely official.

And those JJ interviews sure make it sound like he's going to MSU.
Its just wishful thinking. :D
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:Why would Thornton only play one year?
Because he's the 14 ranked player in his class and has been told all his life he's a one and done and then onto NBA riches. Playing one year for us will have been his third year of college and he will probably already be itching to go even with his unusual situation.

I just think that, for players ranked like he was in today's environment, you can't expect them to stay around.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I'm sorry but regardless of what Thornton does, he's not a PG in the association. He doesn't necessarily have NBA talent level, he's more of a high euro pro level. He couldn't create for anyone at Duke and had no offensive game or shooting. He's good defensively though. He needs a couple of years ago to develop, he shouldn't have reclassified or taken a reshirt year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Forget about Simmons?
For some reason in my mind I had Simmons as a SG.

My point still stands. I don't think the investment is worth it for one year at the PG position two years from now for a guy that averaged 7/2/1.
He was a freshman man. He's very talented, just needs some maturing. Look at Loren Woods at Wake Forest after two years. That was certainly a mistake on our part wouldn't you say?

If Arizona can do better (I'm looking at you Troy Brown and Trevon Duval) then ok I'm on board with you, but if Arizona doesn't feel confident then that's as good of a guy as we could hope for.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... ods-1.html" target="_blank