lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: lets talk '16

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:I'm sorry but regardless of what Thornton does, he's not a PG in the association. He doesn't necessarily have NBA talent level, he's more of a high euro pro level. He couldn't create for anyone at Duke and had no offensive game or shooting. He's good defensively though. He needs a couple of years ago to develop, he shouldn't have reclassified or taken a reshirt year.
Yeah he got bamboozled by Duke to reclassify and now he's going to be replaced by Frank Jackson. Raw deal.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

NYCat wrote:I'm sorry but regardless of what Thornton does, he's not a PG in the association. He doesn't necessarily have NBA talent level, he's more of a high euro pro level.
That's your assessment (and probably mine).

Question: do you think that's the assessment in his head?

Was it for Jarrett?

Was it for...[fill in the blank]?

You're trying to apply rationality to a (apparently, it seems) non-rational situation and that's exactly where people get themselves into "trouble".
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:
NYCat wrote:I'm sorry but regardless of what Thornton does, he's not a PG in the association. He doesn't necessarily have NBA talent level, he's more of a high euro pro level.
That's your assessment (and probably mine).

Question: do you think that's the assessment in his head?

Was it for Jarrett?

Was it for...[fill in the blank]?

You're trying to apply rationality to a (apparently, it seems) non-rational situation and that's exactly where people get themselves into "trouble".
Hell if Thornton has the same assessment Jerrett did then transferring wouldn't even be an option. Undrafted free agent here he comes!

I don't see the non-rational in this situation?? He was overrecruited by a coach who convinced him to reclassify when he wasn't ready.

Also not too many 6'2 point guards that leave early for the NBA unless they earned it on the court.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:He was a freshman man. He's very talented, just needs some maturing. Look at Loren Woods at Wake Forest after two years. That was certainly a mistake on our part wouldn't you say?l
What he should do is what you say: transfer to a good situation and play out his years until he's ready.

Sadly all these high level players have been mind whipped since they were 14 years old into believing they're the next [fill in the blank here] and will be in college one year before they're off to NBA riches.

Now we could hope he can overcome this kind of almost psychological torture, but he would probably generally be the outlier not the norm.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:Hell if Thornton has the same assessment Jerrett did then transferring wouldn't even be an option. Undrafted free agent here he comes!
He's too young right? Has to be 19? Needs a home for a year.
I don't see the non-rational in this situation??
The non-rational situation is they have basically been "tortured" be their coaches, handlers, friends etc. for years and years being told they're a one and done. You can't see the non-rational situation because you haven't been "tortured" in the same way and can look at things from a detached distance. I have very little belief, at this point, that most of these 19 year old kids can do the same.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Ferguson still taking KU and Baylor visits. KU may end up with Jackson and Ferguson after all.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

enfuego wrote:Ferguson still taking KU and Baylor visits. KU may end up with Jackson and Ferguson after all.
Old news, we stopped recruiting both guys a year ago.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:
He's too young right? Has to be 19? Needs a home for a year.
He was born in May 1997, the rule stipulates you have to be 19 at any point of the calendar year of the draft and a year removed from high school. If he wanted to be one and done he could be in this year's draft.
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

enfuego wrote:Ferguson still taking KU and Baylor visits. KU may end up with Jackson and Ferguson after all.
Seems like Self does better with the old farts like Ellis and Selden than his flameout 1 year players like Diallo, Wiggins, Embiid, Alexander, McLemore, Selby, etc. Holy crap that is a long ass list of fail freshman for Kansas. It took a 30 year old Perry Ellis to get you the #1 overall seed and flame out in the Elite 8?? Hahahaha at Self making players better!!!
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Forget about Simmons?
For some reason in my mind I had Simmons as a SG.

My point still stands. I don't think the investment is worth it for one year at the PG position two years from now for a guy that averaged 7/2/1.
He was a freshman man. He's very talented, just needs some maturing. Look at Loren Woods at Wake Forest after two years. That was certainly a mistake on our part wouldn't you say?

If Arizona can do better (I'm looking at you Troy Brown and Trevon Duval) then ok I'm on board with you, but if Arizona doesn't feel confident then that's as good of a guy as we could hope for.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... ods-1.html" target="_blank
If Loren Woods didn't have problems with his back he would have been an All-American.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote:
Chicat wrote:Why would Thornton only play one year?
Because he's the 14 ranked player in his class and has been told all his life he's a one and done and then onto NBA riches. Playing one year for us will have been his third year of college and he will probably already be itching to go even with his unusual situation.

I just think that, for players ranked like he was in today's environment, you can't expect them to stay around.
As ChooChoo pointed out, if he's really hell bent on leaving school early, why transfer at all? Why not just declare for the draft now? I feel like your reaching for a reason to not want this kid. Under the "I don't want anyone for just one year" logic, we should start recruiting like ASSU and take the Kodi Justices of the world just so we know they'll be around for a while.

We aren't at the schollie limit and Thornton wouldn't be forcing anyone out. I honestly don't see the downside without projecting massively as far as the kid's mindset and just assuming things that are not in evidence beyond his high school ranking.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

NYCat wrote:

Another interview with Scout

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/16556 ... ecide-soon" target="_blank

Also a Terrance Ferguson interview with Scout

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... iding-soon" target="_blank

Terrance Ferguson talks Wildcats, gives timetable for college decision
"Once I get to the other colleges like Kansas and Baylor, then I can give you a better answer than I have," Ferguson told Rivals of his timeline. "The goal is April 13th."

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ean-miller" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's not a good sign that TF is still taking visits to other places.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Beachcat97 wrote:It's not a good sign that TF is still taking visits to other places.
:lol:

If he decommitted just to come to UA we would've known about it a long time ago. Relax.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Adam Rowe of 247, probably the best place you can get Duke is info pretty much saying Thornton is gone -- he usually right (they're also leading for M Bolden & Grayson Allen is expected to return).

I think Dana Altman, the king of transfer city will end up with him. Besides there are a lot of good PGs in 2017 -- idk if we should focus on Troy Brown (any 2017 PG) or Derryck Thornton (who might be more of a 3-4 year player).

Ferguson is pretty much ours and we need his athleticism and shooting, we need JJ to be on the same level as Duke & Kentucky.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:It's not a good sign that TF is still taking visits to other places.
Why wouldn't he? Especially with JJ unknown, it makes no sense to lock himself in now.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Why wouldn't he? Especially with JJ unknown, it makes no sense to lock himself in now.
It makes perfect sense if the guy genuinely likes a school/coach. Almost every McD's AA has already committed.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

And immediately after that he said he was ready to commit whenever/any day. Earlier that day he said he would "LIKE" to visit those other places, but it wasnt really necessary as he had already seen them on unofficial visits.

So never have we heard, I like Arizona, but I need to take officials to Kansas and Baylor before I make my decision.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Enjoy the process. I would do the same thing if I was a skilled elite athlete.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I think Ferg commits tomorrow
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ferguson already committed too early once and some people think he shouldn't take his time and some visits this go round? Heh...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

NYCat wrote:

Another interview with Scout

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/16556 ... ecide-soon" target="_blank

Also a Terrance Ferguson interview with Scout

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... iding-soon" target="_blank

Ferguson's interview with Scout (after the 3:15 min mark)

"my mom loves it, if mom says it's a go... it's a go".

Sounds like Mom loves Miller.. and she's pulling the strings.
67% guess seems solid.
Last edited by HiCat on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Just sitting here listening to a conversation between three men about Arizona basketball that has been going on for about ten minutes now. Some highlights include, "I'm glad Zeus is gone. He was worthless no reason a big man can't step out and make shots from 15 feet," "Next year is going to be rough. We don't have any shooters like Gabe York. We are losing all our offense and won't have any scorers and are gonna have to run and press to create points," and "That's the knock on Miller, his team's are always bad on offense. Look how many points we scored in the Wichita state game."

Ironically, an Arizona basketball letter winner from the early 60s just walked into the room. The conversation stopped. :lol:
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Having a scrimmage at the McDonalds game right now on ESPNU if you guys want to watch
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

rgdeuce wrote:Just sitting here listening to a conversation between three men about Arizona basketball that has been going on for about ten minutes now. Some highlights include, "I'm glad Zeus is gone. He was worthless no reason a big man can't step out and make shots from 15 feet," "Next year is going to be rough. We don't have any shooters like Gabe York. We are losing all our offense and won't have any scorers and are gonna have to run and press to create points," and "That's the knock on Miller, his team's are always bad on offense. Look how many points we scored in the Wichita state game."

Ironically, an Arizona basketball letter winner from the early 60s just walked into the room. The conversation stopped. :lol:
Filthy casuals
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Just sitting here listening to a conversation between three men about Arizona basketball that has been going on for about ten minutes now. Some highlights include, "I'm glad Zeus is gone. He was worthless no reason a big man can't step out and make shots from 15 feet," "Next year is going to be rough. We don't have any shooters like Gabe York. We are losing all our offense and won't have any scorers and are gonna have to run and press to create points," and "That's the knock on Miller, his team's are always bad on offense. Look how many points we scored in the Wichita state game."

Complaining about Wichita State is valid. The rest is basically an 0-9 peformance.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Right. And Kansas could host the next Winter Olympics. Anything is possible!
Right where I want to be.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Dosia wrote:

Filthy casuals
:lol: :lol:
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat wrote:

Kobi Simmons new #1 recruiter
Terrance Ferguson will decide on April 13th (rivals video above)

Josh Jackson will announce after Nike Hoop Summit (4/9)↓
Asked whether he and people in his circle have disagreed about his school of choice during the process, Jackson said: "There was a little bit of truth to that."

"Everybody doesn't have the same opinion about things, so sometimes people look at things a little different, and people are gonna have disagreements," Jackson said. "But at the end of the day, I've got to make the decision that is best for me."
Asked whether everyone is on the same page now, he said: "Yes."
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ferguson said he could commit at any time. He said the goal is to be committed by that date in April, not to commit on that date necessarily. I'd wait until he actually schedules a visit before panicking.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I want a camp. Settle for a posse.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:I want a camp. Settle for a posse.
I have an Entourage . . . . . Season 1 DVD.

Thanks, I'll see myself out.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:I want a camp. Settle for a posse.
I have an Entourage . . . . . Season 1 DVD.

Thanks, I'll see myself out.
Can I just have Sloan?

No, not that one!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I blame Lebron.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

2016 four-star Taurean Thompson now has offers from Arizona and Connecticut according to Brewster Academy head coach Jason Smith.

A skilled 6-9 power forward, Thompson is ranked No. 78 in the 247Sports Composite.

Kansas offered him last month.

Syracuse leads Seton Hall in his Crystal Ball

http://247sports.com/Bolt/2016-four-sta ... s-44552516" target="_blank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzYk0-ZuHnI" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yeti wrote:2016 four-star Taurean Thompson now has offers from Arizona and Connecticut according to Brewster Academy head coach Jason Smith.

A skilled 6-9 power forward, Thompson is ranked No. 78 in the 247Sports Composite.

Kansas offered him last month.

Syracuse leads Seton Hall in his Crystal Ball

http://247sports.com/Bolt/2016-four-sta ... s-44552516" target="_blank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzYk0-ZuHnI" target="_blank
Welcome to the board Yeti.

Going to be tough to make up ground in this one, but this offer would seem to fall in line with CSM wanting a legit PF to round out the class.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ferguson's final dunk was on SC Top 10

http://websta.me/p/1216382155581267776_370570742" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jefe wrote:Ferguson's final dunk was on SC Top 10

Smooth. Did he win?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

gumby wrote:
Jefe wrote:Ferguson's final dunk was on SC Top 10

Smooth. Did he win?
No, and he couldn't get a dunk on the first try (two dunks per round). He also did pretty bad in the 3pt contest. JJ was also lackluster in the dunk contest, the whole field missed about 3-5 times each time before dunking which took away any impact when they finally got it.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Could Anthony Livingston be in a Wildcat uniform?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

In 2016-17, do we become the Jackson 5? Are we Fergilicious? Maybe just Kobi and beef? God forbid all 3?

For real, if we get Ferguson, I want to hear Fergilicious all the time at McKale.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The Ferguson interview made me feel good about our shot. He said he might not go to KU, Maryland, Baylor and forgot NC State on his list, then praised Kobi and said he was the #1 recruiter.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:I'm sorry but regardless of what Thornton does, he's not a PG in the association. He doesn't necessarily have NBA talent level, he's more of a high euro pro level. He couldn't create for anyone at Duke and had no offensive game or shooting. He's good defensively though. He needs a couple of years ago to develop, he shouldn't have reclassified or taken a reshirt year.
Yeah he got bamboozled by Duke to reclassify and now he's going to be replaced by Frank Jackson. Raw deal.
I don't see anyway how Jackson is not the starting PG next year. Kid is a stud.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Irish27 wrote:Could Anthony Livingston be in a Wildcat uniform?
This guy?:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... cer-throat
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

If you guys caught the segment of the AA's w the kiddos, who seemed to be the most into it and having the best time? It was written all over his face. Mr Ferguson
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We'll see if this is real or just an April Fools joke
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Main Event wrote: We'll see if this is real or just an April Fools joke
Hopefully he gets it over with
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »