let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

baycat93

Re: let's talk '18

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Nevada is the one that worries me here. Gotta get that last visit.
I don’t think NEVADA would be as involved if his Dad did not like to fly
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

3goggles wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Nevada is the one that worries me here. Gotta get that last visit.
FBI invest be damned we can’t lose a kid to Neveda!
Hey, I went there for undergrad. Watch yourself.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
Ahhh man is that what's going on?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

zonagrad wrote:Nevada's Caleb Martin is testing the NBA waters. I think he stays in the draft. He's a top 20 pick. Certainly more draftable than Alkins or Trier who are long gone.
I agree with half of this statement. Unfortunately it's the half where both Rawle and Zo could benefit from another year here.

Don't think Martin is a first rounder and I think he goes back to play his final year w/ his brother and to make a run at the whole thing
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
Ahhh man is that what's going on?
I don't know how intense the dislike is, hence I did not say fear. Just was told it is a factor. Not a shock that Cal, Stanford and Nevada are involved until the end. UCLA is not that bad a drive from Sacto either. I will inquire tonight.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Incoming.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Incoming.
Commit? Coleman?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Looking back on the high school rankings... Coleman was ranked the #8 PG in his class, higher than Jordan McLaughlin, Joel Berry, PJC, Josh Perkins, and Tra Holder. Maybe I've been too hard on the lil dude (or maybe I'm just glad to have the commitment).
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Looking back on the high school rankings... Coleman was ranked the #8 PG in his class, higher than Jordan McLaughlin, Joel Berry, PJC, Josh Perkins, and Tra Holder. Maybe I've been too hard on the lil dude (or maybe I'm just glad to have the commitment).

Then why did he end up at Samford? Grades?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Looking back on the high school rankings... Coleman was ranked the #8 PG in his class, higher than Jordan McLaughlin, Joel Berry, PJC, Josh Perkins, and Tra Holder. Maybe I've been too hard on the lil dude (or maybe I'm just glad to have the commitment).

He was at Alabama first. Had a blah freshman year, an ok sophomore year, but was progressing well. He could've left due to the coaching change, but I honestly don't know. He went to Samford, because he's from Birmingham, and now he's looking to take the step back up.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Yeah, I hope he works out. The big concern for me is that his advanced defensive stats are not good. From defwnsive win shares, PJC was twice the defender last year as Coleman's best year in college.

I'm happy we have someone who's at least shown he can be a rotation guy at PG. Barcello still needs to show that.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

He was at Alabama first. Had a blah freshman year, an ok sophomore year, but was progressing well. He could've left due to the coaching change, but I honestly don't know. He went to Samford, because he's from Birmingham, and now he's looking to take the step back up.
Yeah Avery Johnson came in as the new HC of Alabama after Coleman's freshman season and from the interviews it sounds like Coleman and Johnson didn't get along or simply weren't a great fit. Coleman had a horribly inefficient freshman year (to add to Choo's comments) and while he progressed in his 25min/g as a sophomore, he still wasn't a very efficient player (bottom 25% in points per possession). A good ball handler in the half court, he just couldn't score effectively despite getting plenty of attempts.

He definitely elevated his offensive game at Samford... but playing defense under Miller will be a whole new challenge. I'd also like to see him improve his three point shooting further - him getting up 5 attempts per game in 32 min is exactly what I wanted out of PJC last year (pass the ball with a >2 A:TO, shoot the three 5 times a game at more than 40%).
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Very happy with this signing...think at the very least we're a tourney team next year now. Add in Brown and Williams and we are legit Pac12 contenders (maybe even favorites?). The witch is back at it baby.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Does this signing mean we don’t feel good about BW coming here?
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

he is a junior that can play this year, correct?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SunnyAZ wrote:he is a junior that can play this year, correct?
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... chart-2018" target="_blank
The Arizona Wildcats needed a point guard, and they got one Friday.

Samford graduate transfer Justin Coleman has committed to the UA. He has one year of eligibility left and can play immediately.

Coleman posted 2.4 assists for every turnover this season, and was 12th in the country in assist percentage.

“I’m known for my facilitating,” Coleman told azcentral. “I can score when I need to score, but I’m very good at running my team and getting guys shots.”

He was a top-100 recruit out of high school and signed with Alabama where he spent two seasons before transferring to Samford. Arizona plays at Alabama on Dec. 9, which should be interesting.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Alieberman wrote:Does this signing mean we don’t feel good about BW coming here?
No, we are just filling out the roster. We were going for Coleman no matter what BW chose to do.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Does anyone know if BW and Jordan Brown have a friendship or have played together? I'm curious if Brown is more likely to come here if BW does, and vice versa.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

billk78 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Does this signing mean we don’t feel good about BW coming here?
No, we are just filling out the roster. We were going for Coleman no matter what BW chose to do.
We're not at the point where we can turn down a competent PG in hopes of more.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
billk78 wrote:
We're not at the point where we can turn down a competent PG in hopes of more.
The open competition this year will bear fruit down the road. We need winners with toughness.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

SunnyAZ wrote:he is a junior that can play this year, correct?
Plays immediately for 1 year.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Im excited for Coleman. He has some very small shoes to fill. Junior year of high school he averaged 4 steals a game. Senior year 6 a game

Jan 2013: 56 points against Columbia in double overtime shooting 15-of-28 from the field, including an 11 of 17 effort from two-point territory. He converted 22 of his 23 tries from the charity stripe and added six rebounds, three assists and two steals.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013 ... leman.html" target="_blank

Coleman is our starting PG as of right now...If we do wind up getting one more PG, does that automatically make Barcello our 3rd option?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Im excited for Coleman. He has some very small shoes to fill. Junior year of high school he averaged 4 steals a game. Senior year 6 a game

Jan 2013: 56 points against Columbia in double overtime shooting 15-of-28 from the field, including an 11 of 17 effort from two-point territory. He converted 22 of his 23 tries from the charity stripe and added six rebounds, three assists and two steals.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013 ... leman.html" target="_blank

Coleman is our starting PG as of right now...If we do wind up getting one more PG, does that automatically make Barcello our 3rd option?
Depends on who. Williams would easily make Barcello a 3rd option. Choo's mystery man who nobody would recognize...?
Schnebly

Post by Schnebly »

Made me think of Bwill...

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Nice breakdown of the bwill recruitment from Bruce Pascoe

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 95f00.html" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

84Cat wrote:Nice breakdown of the bwill recruitment from Bruce Pascoe

I'll continue to say that everyone who thinks Pritchard or Perkins would shift to SG instead of them remaining the PG and putting the teenager at off guard is fucking mental.

1) Do you expect Williams to post a 2.5 A:TO and >40% three point shooting? Then how is he beating those players out for PG.

2) Is PG the easier position to play or is off guard? Off guard, of course, because you find space and move within the offense rather than making reads and initiating offense. Then how is the new kid beating the third year or more player at that role?

Number two is the "slap the side of your head obvious" argument, to me, but number one is a close second. Add in that Williams has shown he's a very effective secondary ball handler / score first guard... that's the role he'd play on those teams and it's the role we initially pitched him on with Quinerly coming.

Maybe I'm wrong. Someone tell me if I'm the asshole here.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I don’t think BW pushes back his commitment any later than mid-May, and it’ll likely be sooner. After the Zaga trip, he’ll have all the info he needs. I still love our chances.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chris Wright sounds like a smart guy. BW is lucky to have him on as navigator.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
84Cat wrote:Nice breakdown of the bwill recruitment from Bruce Pascoe

I'll continue to say that everyone who thinks Pritchard or Perkins would shift to SG instead of them remaining the PG and putting the teenager at off guard is fucking mental.

1) Do you expect Williams to post a 2.5 A:TO and >40% three point shooting? Then how is he beating those players out for PG.

2) Is PG the easier position to play or is off guard? Off guard, of course, because you find space and move within the offense rather than making reads and initiating offense. Then how is the new kid beating the third year or more player at that role?

Number two is the "slap the side of your head obvious" argument, to me, but number one is a close second. Add in that Williams has shown he's a very effective secondary ball handler / score first guard... that's the role he'd play on those teams and it's the role we initially pitched him on with Quinerly coming.

Maybe I'm wrong. Someone tell me if I'm the asshole here.
You're not an asshole.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Much appreciated.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Much appreciated.
I mean in all 3 schools that Williams is looking at he's facing the same damn situation with an experienced upperclassmen point guard in place. This is obviously by his design.
prh

Post by prh »

Coulda let YDF dangle for at least a few more hours :)

But yeah YDF you are exactly correct. I'm not sure why those ideas are still being kicked around, but then again I think Bosy is still trying to convince someone that Sean is going to Pitt in a week when Capel backs out (or something like that).
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

First off F*ck ESPN

Secondly, I actually deleted their app and now use CBSsports app. Its not bad and dont miss ESPN.

Third, hope Miller is in Williams home tonight
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
prh

Post by prh »

lol @ espn....so bad

I haven't opened the espn app in over a month. Feels wonderful. Off of my default home screen and it's like it's not there. Only reason it sticks around is for when it's football season and I need to stream a game
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I'm confused.
What did BW mean with the tweet?

I don't get Twitter
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Postmaster wrote:I'm confused.

I don't get Twitter
He’s just test driving that uni. Enjoying the attention and love he’s getting from these big name schools. Again, hard to blame the guy. If he doesn’t go to Zaga, this tweet will look stupid soon. But if BW’s top priority is playing in a FF, we’re running in 3rd behind Oregon and Zaga.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote:

I don't get Twitter
He’s just test driving that uni. Enjoying the attention and love he’s getting from these big name schools. Again, hard to blame the guy. If he doesn’t go to Zaga, this tweet will look stupid soon. But if BW’s top priority is playing in a FF, we’re running in 3rd behind Oregon and Zaga.
Zags have one FF on their resume. Few always has a highly ranked team because they play no one outside of a couple of good non-conference games, so they go on a huge winning streak in conference and then lose before the FF because are are not tested with tough games. Based on the percentages, there is not a great chance BWill makes a final four with the Zags if he chooses them. But he will win a ton of meaningless games.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

midnightx wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

I don't get Twitter
Zags have one FF on their resume. Few always has a highly ranked team because they play no one outside of a couple of good non-conference games, so they go on a huge winning streak in conference and then lose before the FF because are are not tested with tough games. Based on the percentages, there is not a great chance BWill makes a final four with the Zags if he chooses them.
If BWill is a two and done, as has been suggested by his team, what are his honest chances of making the final four with Arizona? I wouldn't say our prospects of getting there over the next two years are great as of now. Maybe 2019, but its hard to say what our roster will look like then.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

DrWildcat wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

I don't get Twitter
Zags have one FF on their resume. Few always has a highly ranked team because they play no one outside of a couple of good non-conference games, so they go on a huge winning streak in conference and then lose before the FF because are are not tested with tough games. Based on the percentages, there is not a great chance BWill makes a final four with the Zags if he chooses them.
If BWill is a two and done, as has been suggested by his team, what are his honest chances of making the final four with Arizona? I wouldn't say our prospects of getting there over the next two years are great as of now. Maybe 2019, but its hard to say what our roster will look like then.
I think with Williams and what Arizona will likely get in 2019, the 2019-2020 season should be a return to normalcy in regards to final four contention.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Honestly, though, now that a 16 has beaten a 1, and we’ve had multiple low seeds reach the FF, it’s clearer than ever that you really just need to *get into* the tourney. You just never know what a team will or won’t do in the tourney. And it would seem fitting that an AZ team without an Ayton or Gordon would get Miller his first FF.

BW should go play for the coach/roster he has the best feeling about. Period. None of his finalists is a shoe-in for the ‘19 FF. I’d say Oregon has the best shot, but there are too many unknowns at this point.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:

I don't get Twitter
Next year. 19-20, if Bol leaves, Oregon isn't the same. The reset cycle for talent is much, much faster these days.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote:Honestly, though, now that a 16 has beaten a 1, and we’ve had multiple low seeds reach the FF, it’s clearer than ever that you really just need to *get into* the tourney. You just never know what a team will or won’t do in the tourney. And it would seem fitting that an AZ team without an Ayton or Gordon would get Miller his first FF.

BW should go play for the coach/roster he has the best feeling about. Period. None of his finalists is a shoe-in for the ‘19 FF. I’d say Oregon has the best shot, but there are too many unknowns at this point.
Agreed. I don't see AZ, Gonzaga and Oregon as serious FF threats. AZ may not have the "wow" factor in terms of roster talent, but even without BWill, AZ has two 5 stars and three-four 4-stars on its roster. It is not junk roster by any means. If BWill commits and is a viable starter at the point, and the rest of the team develops and plays defense, they have every bit of a chance to have a tournament run. And if Akot and/or Randoph become consistent scorers, AZ may surprise people. The bottom line is that rarely are FF's a given. Neither Kentucky or Duke made the FF this year, and both were loaded. The Aaron Gordon team, one of AZ's best ever, did not make the FF. But you are correct, BWill needs to do what his heart tells him -- if AZ is a dream school and he has a relationship and closeness to Miller, then AZ is a good choice (because it does have talent on its roster). If he wants to play with a big recruiting class at Oregon, then that is the choice. If he thinks the Zags have the best shot at a FF (even though Few has only been to one), then that is the choice. Would love to see him in an AZ uniform and bring some stability to the program, but one cannot blame him for going elsewhere if that is what he ultimately decides.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Honestly, though, now that a 16 has beaten a 1, and we’ve had multiple low seeds reach the FF, it’s clearer than ever that you really just need to *get into* the tourney. You just never know what a team will or won’t do in the tourney. And it would seem fitting that an AZ team without an Ayton or Gordon would get Miller his first FF.

Agreed. I don't see AZ, Gonzaga and Oregon as serious FF threats. AZ may not have the "wow" factor in terms of roster talent, but even without BWill, AZ has two 5 stars and three-four 4-stars on its roster. It is not junk roster by any means. If BWill commits and is a viable starter at the point, and the rest of the team develops and plays defense, they have every bit of a chance to have a tournament run. And if Akot and/or Randoph become consistent scorers, AZ may surprise people. The bottom line is that rarely are FF's a given. Neither Kentucky or Duke made the FF this year, and both were loaded. The Aaron Gordon team, one of AZ's best ever, did not make the FF. But you are correct, BWill needs to do what his heart tells him -- if AZ is a dream school and he has a relationship and closeness to Miller, then AZ is a good choice (because it does have talent on its roster). If he wants to play with a big recruiting class at Oregon, then that is the choice. If he thinks the Zags have the best shot at a FF (even though Few has only been to one), then that is the choice. Would love to see him in an AZ uniform and bring some stability to the program, but one cannot blame him for going elsewhere if that is what he ultimately decides.
You didn't have Loyola of Chicago in your preseason FF?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Gonzaga just seems like the worst of the three...a senior starter who will come back and take your time, no real guarantee of success, WCC games in gyms all over the coast with only one team that even matters, an entire season of work for 1 to 6 games in March. Gonzaga is, to me, an appealing place for transfers and 4-stars with 4 year plans who are OK with the grind of that conference schedule, staying sharp against low end competition.

Oregon is more attractive for the conference (yeah, we sucked last year, but outperformed expectations the prior year in the tournament), for the class, and for the exposure, but you have a junior in front of you at point who will stay there for 2 years, and if you want to play off guard, you are contending with some real competition. You will likely win if this class comes together, but you might not get much run, and if 2 and done is your plan, this one is fraught with roadblocks.

Arizona? Not as much talent, but maybe just unutilized talent because of an upperclass core that played monster minutes, and some chemistry issues, mixed with a nuclear bomb of a season in terms of distractions. A lot of 4 star guys on this roster, and you get the keys immediately, and if you can drive this car up any hill, you are going to be remembered by a fanbase that is second to none in idolizing the unexpected heroes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote:Gonzaga just seems like the worst of the three...a senior starter who will come back and take your time, no real guarantee of success, WCC games in gyms all over the coast with only one team that even matters, an entire season of work for 1 to 6 games in March. Gonzaga is, to me, an appealing place for transfers and 4-stars with 4 year plans who are OK with the grind of that conference schedule, staying sharp against low end competition.

Oregon is more attractive for the conference (yeah, we sucked last year, but outperformed expectations the prior year in the tournament), for the class, and for the exposure, but you have a junior in front of you at point who will stay there for 2 years, and if you want to play off guard, you are contending with some real competition. You will likely win if this class comes together, but you might not get much run, and if 2 and done is your plan, this one is fraught with roadblocks.

Arizona? Not as much talent, but maybe just unutilized talent because of an upperclass core that played monster minutes, and some chemistry issues, mixed with a nuclear bomb of a season in terms of distractions. A lot of 4 star guys on this roster, and you get the keys immediately, and if you can drive this car up any hill, you are going to be remembered by a fanbase that is second to none in idolizing the unexpected heroes.
I've been saying it's between OR and AZ. Think it comes down to Altman vs. Miller. Which guy does BW feel like he can connect with and learn from? I think the coach is the biggest factor here, much more so than the other players who happen to be there. BW would get huge minutes at OR, most likely, but he'd start at AZ.