lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

HiCat

Re: lets talk '16

Post by HiCat »

:? sad and confusing in the end

Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Feb 18, 2016

“Yes,” Miller said. “Him and I have had a number of talks over the past couple of weeks, and him and I both felt that it would be in his best interest to focus on the task at hand academically and obviously remain here at the University of Arizona and finish his academic work.”

Miller has called Pitts a “great kid,” and Pitts is also known to be a good student. Miller has said it was not a disciplinary issue by him, and the fact that Miller kept him involved suggested he wasn’t the one holding Pitts back.

I have been told issues such as Pitts’ take about a month to resolve but he’s been out over two months now, suggesting there are still complications.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/e ... 718d6.html" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

luteformayor2 wrote:
az91 wrote:
Chicat wrote:I think the book was closed when he stepped away from the team. Adios Elliott.
This is a good thing. He will no longer be a distraction to the team. It closes the book on what was a bizarre and disappointing tenure at U of A.
How long until the rumors come to light?
Taking into account how long this has gone on for and the nature of what it is about, I doubt it ever will get out to the masses.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not sure Pitts will ever be able to play basketball at a high level due to whatever issues he has/had.

No Div I program will give him a 2 year scholie for 1 year of playing due to needing to sit out a year. His only hope is to go to a Div II school like Mo-Tang did with Chaminade where he can play right away. Perhaps NAIA where there will be a lot less pressure to perform.

In any event, the other players seemed to like him, so wish him the best wherever he goes.

If it is a medical/mental issue, he could still receive an academic scholarship at Arizona an finish out his career.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Not sure Pitts will ever be able to play basketball at a high level due to whatever issues he has/had.

No Div I program will give him a 2 year scholie for 1 year of playing due to needing to sit out a year. His only hope is to go to a Div II school like Mo-Tang did with Chaminade where he can play right away. Perhaps NAIA where there will be a lot less pressure to perform.

In any event, the other players seemed to like him, so wish him the best wherever he goes.

If it is a medical/mental issue, he could still receive an academic scholarship at Arizona an finish out his career.
I'm sure a D1 mid-major would take him on, what would they have to lose honestly? He could also appeal for another year being that he only played 7 games this past season, so that could make him a bit more appealing. Either way good luck to him wherever he ends up.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm sure a D1 mid-major would take him on, what would they have to lose honestly? Either way good luck to him wherever he ends up.
No
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: I'm sure a D1 mid-major would take him on, what would they have to lose honestly?
They would lose at least one scholie for next year, and possibly the following year if he is still unable to play.

Even his "good" year, averaging 14.9 minutes a game he only averaged 3.5 points. That's still pretty low for a sweet shooting 2G/wing.

I know it's common knowledge what his issue is, although I don't know it, and don't want to know. But maybe if it is finished, or correctable, someone may take a flyer if they have extra scholies.

ASU seems to have few extra ones.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

If the rumor I heard is correct, his issue does not affect his ability to play basketball.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: I'm sure a D1 mid-major would take him on, what would they have to lose honestly?
They would lose at least one scholie for next year, and possibly the following year if he is still unable to play.

Even his "good" year, averaging 14.9 minutes a game he only averaged 3.5 points. That's still pretty low for a sweet shooting 2G/wing.

I know it's common knowledge what his issue is, although I don't know it, and don't want to know. But maybe if it is finished, or correctable, someone may take a flyer if they have extra scholies.

ASU seems to have few extra ones.
Look around the country man. There's very marginal transfers getting picked up by D1 schools every where. I mean there's 347 Division I basketball teams in the nation that have 13 scholarships each. That's 4,511 D1 scholarship players around the country (if all scholarships are being utilized), do you really think not a single one D1 school would take a guy who played a role on a major basketball program? If no charges are pressed (if there were we'd be able to find them online easily) then there's nothing that would prevent him from being eligible to play anywhere that would take him.

I mean just look at this list. So many meh players being taken on by Division I basketball programs. Elliott Pitts couldn't find a spot in D-I? Really?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... nsfer-list" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

True ChooChoo, I was thinking more of Div I in the football sense. Plenty of schools like Cal Poly, Bakersfield, Fresno, and so on would.

Even cancer Garland Judkins was able to get on at TAMCC, although he had more years to play. Pitts is no cancer.

Any Div I school would have to willing to give up 2 years of a scholarship for one year of playing.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

84Cat wrote:If the rumor I heard is correct, his issue does not affect his ability to play basketball.
More of a team chemistry issue?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:
84Cat wrote:If the rumor I heard is correct, his issue does not affect his ability to play basketball.
More of a team chemistry issue?
ChooChoo gave a clue in his post: If no charges are pressed

When this all went down, I looked at the Tucson arrest records, didn't see anything. Might be as on campus internal investigation handled by Judicial Affairs.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The question is, is there going to be full disclosure of what the "issue" is? Taking up a scholly for two years is one thing, but to do so for a guy of marginal talent, with this "issue" still hanging over his head? So the Pitts camp either gives full disclosure, or coaches are gonna have questions. If they called Miller, he cant tell them, but he can tell them "id pass on this one for now" or a hint hint nudge nudge to do so. It puts Miller in a tough spot. Of course, things become a little easier if he pays his own way at another school who knows there are question marks, but they have almost nothing to lose. He's a free practice body in the year he has to sit out and year two, you lose a roster spot if things dont work out. Full disclosure may alter a man's decision to have him there anyhow, guess it would depend on the coach..