Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Re: Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Post by Jefe »

az91 wrote:I don't understand the continued PJC hatred
I've never been a fan but its extremely easy to find his faults when you look at our previous PGs. He needs to do something exceptionally well because he gives up so much with his size and ability to defend. For as quick as he is you would think he could stay in front of his man. Lauri should not be more of a threat than he is when dribbling. He needs to start running between players legs and dishing it like TJ
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
az91 wrote:I don't understand the continued PJC hatred.
Just spit-ballin' here, but it may have to do with his camp's objections to the program bringing in other PGs who would have played in front of PJC. So all of his negative attributes may be sharply evident, especially in comparison to other players we could have had if Miller hadn't capitulated.

Is my amateur psychoanalysis at least lukewarm?
That's part of it. Another part of it has been his moping, downcast demeanor on the court, which is about as bad as it gets for a floor leader. Still another part of it is that last year he only looked good against sub-par competition at home. Finally, he was the opposite of the kind of balls-to-the-walls, fearless road leader fans remember from Damon to Gardner to TJ. Instead, he fizzled on the road and looked like he wanted to hide under a floorboard.

But I saw promise against Michigan State and CSU Bakersfield. That doesn't wipe away my concerns about how he'll look at Eugene, etc.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ASUHATER! wrote:did PJC do something to 97cats?
no, but he's not a 30+min pg player at an ELITE level school.

hes a back-up 10/12min pg player who fills in when needed.

asking him to do anything else at this level is a disservice to the kid.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

the mopey-mope thing is just his personality though, like salim, and likely his interpretation of the coaching staff's urging to instill some nastiness (it is required, after all) and play with a chip on his shoulder.

he's been fine thus far, better on D, handling different defensive looks, and getting the ball to lauri, kobi, etc. -- and given the minutes he'll be shouldering this season, will hopefully be in great shape by march.

feels as though PJC is being positioned by some to be our scapegoat if the season fails to meet expectations. premature and unfair at this juncture.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

az91 wrote:I don't understand the continued PJC hatred. He was more than competent last night and looked improved over last year. If he fouled out last night, that game would likely have ended in a loss.
Here's my thing with PJC. I think he is decent. I really question whether he is the player to get this program to a Final Four.

Is he good enough to be on our team? Absolutely yes. Is he good enough to hit the goal we want to hit? That's where I have my issues.

If he was still backing up TJ, I'd be very happy.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Here's my thing with PJC.
tell me....
Spaceman Spiff wrote: I think he is decent.
agree
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I really question whether he is the player to get this program to a Final Four.
not as a starter, thats for muther fuckin certain
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Is he good enough to be on our team?
yes
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Absolutely yes.
dont push it
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Is he good enough to hit the goal we want to hit?
that goal is a Final Four -- not as a starter/25+ mpg guy
Spaceman Spiff wrote:That's where I have my issues.
preach
Spaceman Spiff wrote:If he was still backing up TJ, I'd be very happy.
!!!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Don't all of these reasons belong in the Sean Miller thread? It's not like PJC should be expected to resign. We have a $5 million/year decider, so beat up on him.

Damn him for heading to center circle after coach sends him there!
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
97cats wrote:i thought he was the worst player on the floor for either team last night -- by a lot.
I must have been watching a different player.

Not a surprise. I only get the games in Standard Definition. Hard to tell who's who.
He's the one who hypnotizes Miller into putting him in.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

gumby wrote:Don't all of these reasons belong in the Sean Miller thread? It's not like PJC should be expected to resign. We have a $5 million/year decider, so beat up on him.

Can't blame Miller for PJC's lack of willing to grow... that's all on PJC.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Who's to blame for playing him then? Doubt he agrees with that assessment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Don't all of these reasons belong in the Sean Miller thread? It's not like PJC should be expected to resign. We have a $5 million/year decider, so beat up on him.

Questioning whether he's good enough to be a final four level pg isn't unfair. Gandhi was way too small to effectively fight through the pick and roll, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a decent guy. No one's taking personal shots or low blows with PJC, it's just about his effectiveness as a elite team's starting pg.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Worst player on the floor isn't personal?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

gumby wrote:Who's to blame for playing him then? Doubt he agrees with that assessment.
I hope you realize I was talking about height.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Worst player on the floor isn't personal?
I read it as a comment about his effectiveness as a basketball player. I don't think that's a low blow.

We talk about Dusan looking bad, we used to rip on Josiah and Lyons for not being pg's. It happens.

No one's attacking him as a person.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We have high expectations here and a lot of us can be blunt/brutally honest when those aren't met. There aren't many on these boards who are unrealistic fans. You get some knee-jerk reactions of course, but for the most part the big picture is seen fairly soon after. Don't want to speak for others, but I'm sure there are plenty here who are like me - bust your ass and perform, or your ass is sitting on the bench/we will find someone to replace you. Won't speak for all former athletes how, but that is how most of my coaches were and that is how my father was even when he wasn't coaching me. That no nonsense approach doesn't work for everyone and may come across as mean to many. With that said, most of us who are like that understand growing pains, learning and transitioning, etc., but there reaches a point where there is no excuse and it is time to be brutally honest. I' was "super mean" to Tollefsen; I remember half the board ripping me a new one because of how I was with Jordin Mayes.

PJC has been past that point. He's a junior and spent more time on the floor in an Arizona uniform than anyone on the roster. He should be the guy picking up the freshman when they stumble, the freshmen should not be the ones picking him up/carrying his bags. He got a full year under TJ's wing. Last year, he was given the keys to run Arizona basketball's offense and came up way short (no pun intended) and Kadeem had to crossover and do what he couldn't do. This year, his third, again given the keys and while he has shown improvements, again, we are worried about the PG. Is some of that on Miller, of course. But in terms of on court stuff, Miller gives you everything you need to succeed. I get his physical limitations. But despite those, he should still be performing at a higher level. He has shown flashes of where he should be performing. But over time, people expect those "flashes" to become more consistent. People talk about his lack of size being his worst enemy, but I honestly believe it is his head.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Alieberman wrote:
gumby wrote:Who's to blame for playing him then? Doubt he agrees with that assessment.
I hope you realize I was talking about height.
Didn't catch the joke. Nice.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I read it as a comment about his effectiveness as a basketball player. I don't think that's a low blow.

We talk about Dusan looking bad, we used to rip on Josiah and Lyons for not being pg's. It happens.

Really?

"Worst poster on the board. Not directed at you, just your reason for being here."

That's above-board?
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:We have high expectations here and a lot of us can be blunt/brutally honest when those aren't met. There aren't many on these boards who are unrealistic fans. You get some knee-jerk reactions of course, but for the most part the big picture is seen fairly soon after. Don't want to speak for others, but I'm sure there are plenty here who are like me - bust your ass and perform, or your ass is sitting on the bench/we will find someone to replace you. Won't speak for all former athletes how, but that is how most of my coaches were and that is how my father was even when he wasn't coaching me. That no nonsense approach doesn't work for everyone and may come across as mean to many. With that said, most of us who are like that understand growing pains, learning and transitioning, etc., but there reaches a point where there is no excuse and it is time to be brutally honest. I' was "super mean" to Tollefsen; I remember half the board ripping me a new one because of how I was with Jordin Mayes.

PJC has been past that point. He's a junior and spent more time on the floor in an Arizona uniform than anyone on the roster. He should be the guy picking up the freshman when they stumble, the freshmen should not be the ones picking him up/carrying his bags. He got a full year under TJ's wing. Last year, he was given the keys to run Arizona basketball's offense and came up way short (no pun intended) and Kadeem had to crossover and do what he couldn't do. This year, his third, again given the keys and while he has shown improvements, again, we are worried about the PG. Is some of that on Miller, of course. But in terms of on court stuff, Miller gives you everything you need to succeed. I get his physical limitations. But despite those, he should still be performing at a higher level. He has shown flashes of where he should be performing. But over time, people expect those "flashes" to become more consistent. People talk about his lack of size being his worst enemy, but I honestly believe it is his head.
The red part is under discussion, I hope, in the Sean Miller thread. Just struck me in reading this thread that if everything about Parker is that obvious, then there is a disconnect.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I disagree with PJC not being able to lead a Final Four team. Not everyone has to be a superstar...the amount of grief PJC gets is unreal.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:Don't want to speak for others, but I'm sure there are plenty here who are like me - bust your ass and perform, or your ass is sitting on the bench/we will find someone to replace you.
Do you think Miller is like you? Can answer in the Miller thread. Would love to hear it. Not seeing failure to bust ass being a function of failing to perform here. I see limitations.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:i thought he was the worst player on the floor for either team last night -- by a lot.

Watching a different game...or trying to fit it into your agenda.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Really?

"Worst poster on the board. Not directed at you, just your reason for being here."

That's above-board?
If you think my posts suck, yes. I've seen people directly criticize others here. I've said Riseandfire was trolling, as bad as some of the posts are.

This isn't the YMCA where everyone gets a participation award. I know someone who knows PJC's family and says he and the family are all very nice, decent people. I'm not personally attacking the kid. I'm saying what he brings as a starting pg is not what we want in our quest for a final four.

Saying that I think he would be a good reserve but is ill suited as our starter...well, I just don't see that as a criticism. I've posted here that I played D1 basketball. I was unquestionably worse than PJC by a long shot. I know I was not good enough. It happens, and it isn't some great personal attack.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:We have high expectations here and a lot of us can be blunt/brutally honest when those aren't met. There aren't many on these boards who are unrealistic fans. You get some knee-jerk reactions of course, but for the most part the big picture is seen fairly soon after. Don't want to speak for others, but I'm sure there are plenty here who are like me - bust your ass and perform, or your ass is sitting on the bench/we will find someone to replace you. Won't speak for all former athletes how, but that is how most of my coaches were and that is how my father was even when he wasn't coaching me. That no nonsense approach doesn't work for everyone and may come across as mean to many. With that said, most of us who are like that understand growing pains, learning and transitioning, etc., but there reaches a point where there is no excuse and it is time to be brutally honest. I' was "super mean" to Tollefsen; I remember half the board ripping me a new one because of how I was with Jordin Mayes.

He just may not be cut out to do it. That's ok, though. Not everyone is a starting pg for a final four team. Is it unfair to Josh Pastner to say we would have been horribly screwed if it had been him instead of Bibby in 97?

You hit the nail on the head when you say he should be a leader, not the guy others have to cover for. Maybe he doesn't wind up being the thing that kills the final four aspirations, but wouldn't it be nice to have someone who can be more than good enough that he doesn't lose it singlehandedly? That's how I see PJC, a ceiling of the guy who is adequate and doesn't blow it for the rest.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
If you think my posts suck, yes. I've seen people directly criticize others here. I've said Riseandfire was trolling, as bad as some of the posts are.

This isn't the YMCA where everyone gets a participation award. I know someone who knows PJC's family and says he and the family are all very nice, decent people. I'm not personally attacking the kid. I'm saying what he brings as a starting pg is not what we want in our quest for a final four.

Saying that I think he would be a good reserve but is ill suited as our starter...well, I just don't see that as a criticism. I've posted here that I played D1 basketball. I was unquestionably worse than PJC by a long shot. I know I was not good enough. It happens, and it isn't some great personal attack.
I'm a bit nicer to PJC here than I would be for others because of his dad. Met him last year, and yes, he is just about the nicest guy you will ever meet.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

What were both of his technical/flagrant fouls for?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Jefe wrote:What were both of his technical/flagrant fouls for?
Playing tough which is exactly what he needs IMO.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yes, and lots more of it.

What 97cats and other PJC detractors don't like about him is that he appears to be Arizona's least mentally tough PG since Shakur.

In fact, most road courts look like they could swallow him up most nights. He's got to at least hold his own as a captain of the offense and disrupt the initiation of the opponent's offense on the other side of the court.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Parker Jackson-Cartwright PER:

16.9 2014-15
11.6 2015-16
9.0 2016-17

Not a good trend.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PJC's per 40 minutes numbers his freshman year were eerily similar to TJ's (senior season). Naturally, you have to take into account that TJ was playing heavier and more meaningful minutes, but it still says something. As for the PER numbers, no it's not a good trend but we are still in the infancy of this season. His PER numbers at this point last year were probably well below the 9.0 so far this year and he had that good second half once he got his confidence back in his shot to get it to that 11.6.

Honestly at this point, if starting in January he can just match how he was second half of last year, and not completely kill us on the road, I will take it. Without Trier, obviously we would need a lot more than that, but (fingers crossed) that situation looks like it may come to a FOURtunate resolution. Really gives us the ability to, if PJC isn't getting it done, roll Kadeem back to the 1 and have PJC as the "little spark plug off the bench" along with one of either Alkins or Simmons off the bench. Trier is self-reliant and going to get his nut no matter who is at the 1. We will then have two offensive players teams are going to have to scheme for and having nightmares containing, two guys who will get to the foul line and tremendous rates and two guys who will knock almost every single one of them down. Fingers crossed.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

being the "worst" player on the court for Arizona is not really that big a put down. We tend to have a lot of high level talent. PJC would be an absolute gift to 300+ teams in D1.

The question is whether his gifts override his deficiencies in a way that make him a net positive player on a team that wants to win a title. Up to this point, the answer is no. So much of what Wichita St crammed down our throat last year was a confident, strong point guard away from being counteracted. Someone...anyone. They pushed us out to damn near half court and pressured ball and dared someone to make them pay. We never did. We had to go quick to get into early offense to beat that pressure, and we did for about 10 minutes, but after missing something like 47 shots in a row, we abandoned that, too, even though the shots were actually good looks. We needed on-ball leadership in that game more than any last year, and we didn't get it. That may be what is stuck in some people's mind.

But I have seen amazing transformations from one year to the next...usually freshman to sophomore, but the light has come on late. Hell, for Khalid Reeves, he went from good 100 watt bulb to 10,000 watt floodlamp between Jr and Sr years. PJC's limitations will always be his limitations...size, body defense, needs to get his shot off quicker than most due to height. But If he starts seeing the floor, learns to play at near full speed while still in control...if it "clicks"...he could still be a very good point guard. He has to continue to be a pest in passing lanes as much as the pack line will allow, has to ball pressure without getting in foul trouble, because if the opposition gets him in deep, he is not going to be able to defend. But he has shown a real improvement in anticipation and on ball defense this year. Shooting? He is going to be streaky, and it will have a lot to do with how comfortable he is getting his shot off. Against quicker, bigger backcourts, he is going to have problems.

I don't see this exactly like a Shakur situation. Shakur was a very good PG by the end of his time with us, but was never what he was hyped to be. So people killed him. It wasn't fair, and was, at times, stupid. PJC came in with a fanbase expecting we would recruit over the top of him. But a small, quick guard that can wreak havoc in the backcourt? He could be a fan favorite with a little better demeanor on the court and, most importantly, ice water veins. But he has fallen apart on the road too much for people to count on him. So we have the present situation. I think we all want him to succeed (well, most of us), and he may still become a very good PG. But the road woes have to go. He has to play confident and aggressive. He needs to call himself Mighty Mouse or whatever it takes to firmly put that chip on the shoulder
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EVCat wrote:being the "worst" player on the court for Arizona is not really that big a put down. We tend to have a lot of high level talent. PJC would be an absolute gift to 300+ teams in D1.
Actually he said worst player on the court for either team.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Well, the Wichita State game was just a nightmare from the jump. TJ McConnell is the only thing that would have saved us there and that is because he was a killer, an outstanding leader and motivator and very talented. Most other Arizona point guards over recent memory would not have cut it or at least not been enough to get us over the hump. It was just the worst possible match up, we weren't prepared/they altered their pressure so it was wasnt something we saw on film, and Zeus was the only guy who looked like he had the balls and will to do anything about it. And last year's team, just about top to bottom was beta. Either beta for life or still learning how to become alpha. This year's team has already shown more resolve, at least early on.

Those are the breaks though. Maybe we get a sweet UCONN path and PJC will be enough. If Trier indeed comes back, there are plenty of smart people here who think a final four is a real possibility. Now look at that and look at our roster, then compare that to Zeus, Ashley, Rondae, Stanley, and TJ; or Zeus, Rondae, Gordon, Nick Johnson, and TJ. Neither of those teams got us there and it was merely shit luck. Those teams were loaded with special players, special defenders. Those are the breaks. Obviously having a very good PG makes the odds much easier, but that is why I dont put too much stock in the we wont get there without great point guard play talk.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Well, the Wichita State game was just a nightmare from the jump. TJ McConnell is the only thing that would have saved us there and that is because he was a killer, an outstanding leader and motivator and very talented. Most other Arizona point guards over recent memory would not have cut it or at least not been enough to get us over the hump. It was just the worst possible match up, we weren't prepared/they altered their pressure so it was wasnt something we saw on film, and Zeus was the only guy who looked like he had the balls and will to do anything about it. And last year's team, just about top to bottom was beta. Either beta for life or still learning how to become alpha. This year's team has already shown more resolve, at least early on.

Those are the breaks though. Maybe we get a sweet UCONN path and PJC will be enough. If Trier indeed comes back, there are plenty of smart people here who think a final four is a real possibility. Now look at that and look at our roster, then compare that to Zeus, Ashley, Rondae, Stanley, and TJ; or Zeus, Rondae, Gordon, Nick Johnson, and TJ. Neither of those teams got us there and it was merely shit luck. Those teams were loaded with special players, special defenders. Those are the breaks. Obviously having a very good PG makes the odds much easier, but that is why I dont put too much stock in the we wont get there without great point guard play talk.
Agreed. There are lots of paths to the Final Four. Sometimes, that path is having an albino go NBA JAM "ON FIRE"...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Really?

That's above-board?

None of what I said is about you. I was responding to you saying nobody had made it personal. My analogy -- saying you're the worst poster -- was designed to show how such an over-the-top comment is certainly personal.

I don't believe this to be true, if that wasn't clear. In either case (you or Parker).
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

rgdeuce wrote:PJC's per 40 minutes numbers his freshman year were eerily similar to TJ's (senior season). Naturally, you have to take into account that TJ was playing heavier and more meaningful minutes, but it still says something. As for the PER numbers, no it's not a good trend but we are still in the infancy of this season. His PER numbers at this point last year were probably well below the 9.0 so far this year and he had that good second half once he got his confidence back in his shot to get it to that 11.6.
I've said this previously:

PJC's per 40 min numbers from home conference games last year were better than TJ's per 40 min numbers in either of his two seasons. Now that's a friendly environment of course, but we've played tough competition at home and PJC has performed.

The question remains of whether PJC can muster that performance across the season and away from home. He's not shooting it well currently but he's passing and playing very good defense. I'll take that out of my starting PG for now. Hopefully the shooting comes along and he's the total package ala TJ.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
EVCat wrote:being the "worst" player on the court for Arizona is not really that big a put down. We tend to have a lot of high level talent. PJC would be an absolute gift to 300+ teams in D1.
Actually he said worst player on the court for either team.
And Cruz played. And the Bakersfield run occurred while Parker sat.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I wouldn't trade him for Mustafa Shakur.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:I wouldn't trade him for Mustafa Shakur.
You need to post more. Stop prioritizing your family, work, health, and the arts.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

All jokes aside, if this team had Mustafa, we are without a doubt one of the three best teams in the country right now
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce wrote:All jokes aside, if this team had Mustafa, we are without a doubt one of the three best teams in the country right now
Just don't let him dribble near the baseline! But agree.

Shakur had an outstanding senior season, 11.9 PPG and 6.9 APG. What PG has come close to that since? TJ averaged 10.4 PPG and 6.3 APG as a senior is about the only one, and look how beloved he was, and how maligned Shakur was. Difference being of course TJ was no one coming out of HS, and Mustafa was thee #2 PG after Chris Paul.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:All jokes aside, if this team had Mustafa, we are without a doubt one of the three best teams in the country right now
Just don't let him dribble near the baseline! But agree.

Shakur had an outstanding senior season, 11.9 PPG and 6.9 APG. What PG has come close to that since? TJ averaged 10.4 PPG and 6.3 APG as a senior is about the only one, and look how beloved he was, and how maligned Shakur was. Difference being of course TJ was no one coming out of HS, and Mustafa was thee #2 PG after Chris Paul.
Mustafa was never terrible. He suffered in comparison to what he could have been.

On PJC, I don't really get freaked out by his offense. Even if he is only here to bring the ball up, we can live with that. His defense, that concerns me. The comparisons to TJ's offense just don't ring true with me. TJ was a very, very good defensive PG on the college level, probably the equal of anyone we've ever had. PJC, I just don't see anything close to that in him.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

:lol: The Chris Paul thing will always kill him. There was one recruiting service who actually had him ahead of Paul, I had the magazine. People expected a guy who was going to be the next Mike Bibby, but he showed up and wasn't Bibby, and he had an ugly release that made some people violently ill. Before the days of youtube and all the level of online recruiting services/scouting reports/social media we have now, he was as hyped of a recruit around town as I can remember, maybe the highest since Bibby.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Shakur was the only Lute recruit I can ever remember seeing his mixtape and actually feeling worse about his prospects here.

Lord, what an ugly release. Prime example of "It works in high school, but not at the next level."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote::lol: The Chris Paul thing will always kill him. There was one recruiting service who actually had him ahead of Paul, I had the magazine. People expected a guy who was going to be the next Mike Bibby, but he showed up and wasn't Bibby, and he had an ugly release that made some people violently ill. Before the days of youtube and all the level of online recruiting services/scouting reports/social media we have now, he was as hyped of a recruit around town as I can remember, maybe the highest since Bibby.
HS, even more then, is big into physical gifts. Mustafa, even to this day, is probably more gifted physically than Chris Paul. He's 2-3 inches taller with long arms, yet is as quick and explosive as Paul. Paul just dominates in shooting, basketball IQ and an alpha dog mentality.

You know they way Duncan and Harden stick the ball out to draw a foul on the release of their shots? Mustafa did that on every release.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I think the other thing that kills Shakur in people's minds is the last 4 or 5 minutes of the game that won't be mentioned.

All we had to do was take care of the ball and make some free throws. Refs didn't help either...
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Whats funny is, his best shooting numbers came during his freshman season. And the attempts per game weren't so drastically lower in that season to explain his drastically lower shooting percentages in the seasons that followed.

6.9 attempts per game, .519 FG, 3PA 1.6, .396% 3PFG = Freshman
6.6 .423 2.2 .378 = Soph
8.5 .423 2.2 .333 = Jr
8.3 .455 2.6 .325 = Sr.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote::lol: The Chris Paul thing will always kill him. There was one recruiting service who actually had him ahead of Paul, I had the magazine. People expected a guy who was going to be the next Mike Bibby, but he showed up and wasn't Bibby, and he had an ugly release that made some people violently ill. Before the days of youtube and all the level of online recruiting services/scouting reports/social media we have now, he was as hyped of a recruit around town as I can remember, maybe the highest since Bibby.
HS, even more then, is big into physical gifts. Mustafa, even to this day, is probably more gifted physically than Chris Paul. He's 2-3 inches taller with long arms, yet is as quick and explosive as Paul. Paul just dominates in shooting, basketball IQ and an alpha dog mentality.

You know they way Duncan and Harden stick the ball out to draw a foul on the release of their shots? Mustafa did that on every release.
Did you just say Mustafa was as quick as Chris Paul?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Shakur always had that beaten hound dog look when he played. Every time he made a mistake, he would be looking over at the bench with his sad puppy dog eyes looking to see if Lute was going to pull him. Shakur had a very short leash. Sometimes he wouldn't even make it to the first TV time out before he was back on the bench.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Did you just say Mustafa was as quick as Chris Paul?
I did. Chris Paul isn't really super quick. He is just constantly under control and knows exactly where he should go and at what speed he should get there.

Watching Chris Paul is so much fun. No one changes speeds more effectively or is more efficient with his movement. Dude has a basketball IQ that matches the greats like Magic and Stockton.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I did. Chris Paul isn't really super quick. He is just constantly under control and knows exactly where he should go and at what speed he should get there.

Watching Chris Paul is so much fun. No one changes speeds more effectively or is more efficient with his movement. Dude has a basketball IQ that matches the greats like Magic and Stockton.
We are going to have to agree to disagree on that one. Isn't quickness essential to changing speeds effectively? He's not the fastest, certainly, but he is one of the quickest guards I've ever seen unless my definition of quickness is just wrong....which could certainly be the case.