The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BeardownZonaZona

Re: The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Saw a couple reports that we've been linked to North Dakota's Filip Rebraca. 6'9" forward who can shoot. Couldn't find anything noteworthy about his defense other then he will finish 8th in his schools history in blocked shots, so maybe he is a good defender. Would be a true 4. Would be an intriguing piece. Not sure I'd be sold right away but could be interesting
I said what I said and I mean it.
BeardownZonaZona

Well. Akinjo declared for the draft
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Good luck with that.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BeardownZonaZona

I still expect him to return. Many guys and insiders been saying he's going to test the waters but they all expect him back. He ain't getting drafted. It'd be G league or Europe for Akinjo and idk if that's worth giving up your senior year for but I'm not James Akinjo so who knows
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:41 pm I still expect him to return. Many guys and insiders been saying he's going to test the waters but they all expect him back. He ain't getting drafted. It'd be G league or Europe for Akinjo and idk if that's worth giving up your senior year for but I'm not James Akinjo so who knows
If he's genuinely interested in seeing what his stock is, it won't be that he's getting drafted.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jesus. I hope he comes back, but this is troubling for next season. Really need JA.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No surprise of course the way Miller has been recruiting.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I wish the best for the kid but no way he gets feedback that he is a first or second round player
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:43 pm Jesus. I hope he comes back, but this is troubling for next season. Really need JA.
It's a positive sign he's left the door open for a return. The truth is he's not getting told he'll be drafted. If just wanted to be done, he already could be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:22 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:43 pm Jesus. I hope he comes back, but this is troubling for next season. Really need JA.
It's a positive sign he's left the door open for a return. The truth is he's not getting told he'll be drafted. If just wanted to be done, he already could be.
True, true.

Just feels like our roster is fragile af at the moment. All it takes is one or two guys to leave, and we’re looking at another middling Pac finish. Maybe Sean can prove me wrong.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Feels like under the current system, any kid who had a great year should declare for the draft. If only to get your name out there and get evaluated so that everyone will watch your next season to continue that evaluation.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Akinjo isn't getting drafted next season. Don't see it. And probably not the year after. He's a good college guard with pro potential overseas. He can raise his stock with another good college season and leverage that for some good opportunities.
BeardownZonaZona

I don't see him as an nba player at any point honestly. Really like James Akinjo but he'll be playing overseas or in the G league. Some of these guys declare just to get some professional feedback. Never a bad thing when you can have nba scouts and coaches allowed to give you advice
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:23 pm I don't see him as an nba player at any point honestly. Really like James Akinjo but he'll be playing overseas or in the G league. Some of these guys declare just to get some professional feedback. Never a bad thing when you can have nba scouts and coaches allowed to give you advice
I tend to agree.

Unfortunately, if he gets honest feedback from the NBA.......Specifically that he doesn't have an NBA body and isn't likely to grow 5 inches by returning to Arizona he might conclude that he's better off getting paid in Europe. Akinjo is the player we can least afford to lose.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

It would be so Arizona for Akinjo to leave so I'm going with that is the most likely outcome even though everything points to him coming back.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

This is why we can't have nice things.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Dave

Post by Dave »

We were over loaded at the guard position and now we are down to Kerr and Terry. Roster turnover is the number one reason our program is stuck in first gear. We have some serious issues if we can't hold this roster together.
BeardownZonaZona

Bring in Jaelin House :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:07 pm Saw a couple reports that we've been linked to North Dakota's Filip Rebraca. 6'9" forward who can shoot. Couldn't find anything noteworthy about his defense other then he will finish 8th in his schools history in blocked shots, so maybe he is a good defender. Would be a true 4. Would be an intriguing piece. Not sure I'd be sold right away but could be interesting
There’s only two transfers at the moment that Arizona is serious about and he’s not one of them. Obviously that could change, but that’s where we’re at. One guy is going to decide relatively soon and the other is going through the draft process first, so we won’t know for awhile on him.
BeardownZonaZona

Thanks Choo. I always appreciate your information. This time of year there is always false reports and such.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:41 am
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:07 pm Saw a couple reports that we've been linked to North Dakota's Filip Rebraca. 6'9" forward who can shoot. Couldn't find anything noteworthy about his defense other then he will finish 8th in his schools history in blocked shots, so maybe he is a good defender. Would be a true 4. Would be an intriguing piece. Not sure I'd be sold right away but could be interesting
There’s only two transfers at the moment that Arizona is serious about and he’s not one of them. Obviously that could change, but that’s where we’re at. One guy is going to decide relatively soon and the other is going through the draft process first, so we won’t know for awhile on him.
Any sense on Akinjo if I can ask?

My non-insider take, it would seem like if he doesn't get or want an overseas deal, his NBA road really doesn't exist at this point. I would expect 100% of the feedback to be that he should return and demonstrate he can score more efficiently and try to show better D.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:52 am

My non-insider take, it would seem like if he doesn't get or want an overseas deal, his NBA road really doesn't exist at this point. I would expect 100% of the feedback to be that he should return and demonstrate he can score more efficiently and try to show better D.
I don’t know anyone that doesn’t think he’ll return to Arizona. He’d have to develop a draft stock he doesn’t currently have to leave.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:34 am This is fantastic!!!

Does anyone know how much tickets usually are?

Always wanted to go to an early season tourney. The week between opening day of deer season and Thanksgiving is perfect.

Would not normally think about going but I've got pancreatic cancer, going through chemo now, having a whipple in June to remove the tumor, should be good to go by then.

If anyone can give advice in how to get tickets to the games, where to stay in Vegas, we'd really appreciate it.

Would hopefully be me, my wife, 8&6 year old boys, 1 year old girl, and a grandma or 2. So nowhere too exciting. My wife, the boys and I would go to the games.

Any advice would be super!!!

Thanks guys!
missed this when posted, but hope you're beating this thing. kick cancer's ass man!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:56 am

I don’t know anyone that doesn’t think he’ll return to Arizona. He’d have to develop a draft stock he doesn’t currently have to leave.
I hate being in this position where a guy is likely to come back but may not, especially when he is a huge piece of the team. The NCAA and NBA really need to find a way to get on the same page. Do we have a back up plan if James does decide to leave? Tyty?
BeardownZonaZona

NCAA did a good thing for the kids by allowing them to go back after they declare. But wow did it open up a can or worms for the schools. NBA has always tried to undercut the colleges. It's a free farm system for them that they don't care about. NBA couldn't care less about the issues caused by allowing kids to come back to college after declaring. NCAA rosters were already constantly changing before that, now it's worse
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:58 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:56 am

I hate being in this position where a guy is likely to come back but may not, especially when he is a huge piece of the team. The NCAA and NBA really need to find a way to get on the same page. Do we have a back up plan if James does decide to leave? Tyty?
The transfer portal is obscene. If we truly need to find somebody we will, but the obvious answer is Kerr.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Kerr is a huge drop unless he drastically improves, but good point in the transfer portal with the only concern there being that most of the high level players there will pick a destination before we have a definitive answer on James.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:58 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:56 am I don’t know anyone that doesn’t think he’ll return to Arizona. He’d have to develop a draft stock he doesn’t currently have to leave.
That makes me feel much better. I just don't see any real chance Akinjo has draft stock at this point.

This is an offseason of unprecedented flux.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:58 am The NCAA and NBA really need to find a way to get on the same page. Do we have a back up plan if James does decide to leave? Tyty?
Absolutely, the system is a mess.

How can Miller offer anyone when the Cats are out of scholies? If Tyty commits, and Akinjo returns, then what? Ask the lesser Tubelis to walk on? That won't make his brother happy.

There is also some speculation that Mathurin may leave, freeing up a scholie.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Here’s one of the two transfers we were on. We missed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:15 am
gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:58 am The NCAA and NBA really need to find a way to get on the same page. Do we have a back up plan if James does decide to leave? Tyty?
Absolutely, the system is a mess.

How can Miller offer anyone when the Cats are out of scholies? If Tyty commits, and Akinjo returns, then what? Ask the lesser Tubelis to walk on? That won't make his brother happy.

There is also some speculation that Mathurin may leave, freeing up a scholie.
Are you new to this? There will be space available if Arizona wants.

Tyty isn’t coming here btw.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:02 pm Here’s one of the two transfers we were on. We missed.
Dang. Oh well.

Related question, do you think Baker is fully gone? It's crossed my mind that if we strike out with transfers and it's just him, Akinjo and Kriisa with experience, he isn't fully out the door.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:14 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:02 pm Here’s one of the two transfers we were on. We missed.
Dang. Oh well.

Related question, do you think Baker is fully gone? It's crossed my mind that if we strike out with transfers and it's just him, Akinjo and Kriisa with experience, he isn't fully out the door.
He’s gone. We added 3 guys who play his position and will likely return Akinjo, Mathurin, and Kerr, and not to mention they’re going to try to add a wing transfer. He’s gone.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:17 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:14 pm
Dang. Oh well.

He’s gone. We added 3 guys who play his position and will likely return Akinjo, Mathurin, and Kerr, and not to mention they’re going to try to add a wing transfer. He’s gone.
Fair enough. I just wondered if we struck out in the transfer market.

I'm not against it as it makes more sense for both him and us if we return Mathurin, Terry, Kriisa and Akinjo.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Any chance we go after Adam Miller again? He just put his name in the portal, had a decent freshman season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:26 pm Any chance we go after Adam Miller again? He just put his name in the portal, had a decent freshman season.
He'd be a great add in terms of talent. Zero idea about interest or his personality, but if he's not a head case, I imagine any program would want his ability as a player.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:26 pm Any chance we go after Adam Miller again? He just put his name in the portal, had a decent freshman season.
I can’t imagine we wouldn’t pursue him.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:49 pm
if i remember correctly wasnt it down to us and illinois at the end of his recruitment?
BeardownZonaZona

A1RZONA wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:50 pm
if i remember correctly wasnt it down to us and illinois at the end of his recruitment?
I believe you're right. We were definitely in his final 5 or so and if I remember correctly it was between us and the Illini. Very talented kid who could probably start at the two for us
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

A1RZONA wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:50 pm
Yep.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I can't imagine a program who wouldn't unless he has massive off court red flags. He was a Day 1 starter for a team that was top five all year long.

Any program in the nation, you figure he can immediately be a major contributor.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Why would someone transfer out of a top five team?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:50 pm Why would someone transfer out of a top five team?
Team success does not mean everyone is happy.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:41 pm
Postmaster wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:50 pm Why would someone transfer out of a top five team?

Yeah. Didn’t Qunierly transfer from Nova?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:48 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:41 pm

Yeah. Didn’t Qunierly transfer from Nova?
Juzang is in the Final Four after leaving Kentucky. We got Jeter from Duke. It's not uncommon. Playing time, role, personality conflicts, a lot of things matter.

We forget the stuff we see on the floor is maybe 5% of a kid's college experience.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Yeah, just surprised when a starter wants to leave
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Postmaster wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:27 am Yeah, just surprised when a starter wants to leave
Could also have something to do with them losing almost everyone off that top 5 team. Cockburn, Ayo are probably leaving early and their other two starters are seniors. Also could be he was told he would be a primary ball handler when he ended up being behind Ayo (obviously) and Frazier and ball handling duties.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:47 am
Postmaster wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:27 am Yeah, just surprised when a starter wants to leave
Could also have something to do with them losing almost everyone off that top 5 team. Cockburn, Ayo are probably leaving early and their other two starters are seniors. Also could be he was told he would be a primary ball handler when he ended up being behind Ayo (obviously) and Frazier and ball handling duties.
Curbelo got a lot of unexpected time too. It's just hard to know with these things. A kid of his recruiting rank is going to have expectations, and sometimes it just doesn't work out.

This offseason...the usual one year deterrent does not apply, so it's an ideal time to look elsewhere.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Give me Mathurin and I’m good.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The first of many 2021-22 prognostications: UA at 16

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/05/ ... he-pac-12/

The Hotline has published early top-25 rankings for many, many years; it has never been more difficult to assess rosters than it is this spring.

Combine the free year of eligibility for seniors with the insanity of the transfer portal and the ever-present lure of the NBA Draft, and the projections below are a Jalen Suggs buzzer-beater away from even reaching crap-shoot territory.

And yet, we plow forward.

Note: The NBA Draft is July 29. Our rankings will be updated following the mid-July deadline for players to remove themselves from consideration.

Also considered (no particular order): Iowa, Virginia Tech, LSU, Oklahoma, BYU, Georgetown, Winthrop, Georgia Tech, Colorado State, Belmont, Purdue, Drake, Loyola, Colorado, Florida, Louisville, St. Bonaventure, Tennessee, San Diego State, VCU, Wichita State and Syracuse.

1. Michigan: The best front court in the country likely will reside in Ann Arbor. We’re assuming freshman Hunter Dickinson returns, and sophomore Franz Wagner might, as well. The recruiting class is No. 1 in the nation and features two five-star big men, Caleb Houstan and Moussa Diabate. So the question is the perimeter unit, with Isaiah Livers, Eli Brooks, Mike Smith and others. Livers, a senior who was injured before the NCAAs, isn’t projected for the first round, suggesting a possible return. The Wolverines won’t need everybody back to stand tall as the team to beat.

2. Gonzaga: Star freshman Jalen Suggs and senior wing Corey Kispert assuredly are moving on, but the rest of the rotation could return intact — including big man Drew Timme and wing Joel Ayayi. And two top-10 recruits, Hunter Sallis and Chet Holmgren, could be headed to Spokane. And there’s talent deep down the bench, waiting its turn. And you know Mark Few will find a player nobody knows on a playground in rural Turkmenistan and turn him into a star.

3. Ohio State: Star forward E.J. Liddell has declared for the draft but retained his eligibility. We believe he’ll return to Columbus, joining Duane Washington and Justice Sueing and giving the Buckeyes a chance to maintain their placement among the elite. The rise in ’21 under Chris Holtmann was a year early. Nobody will be surprised by success next season.

4. UCLA: Key questions involve the return (or not) of Chris Smith, the departure (or not) of Johnny Juzang and the immediate impact (or not) of five-star recruit Peyton Watson. Our guess is that Juzang returns — he’s not projected to be a first-round pick, although his stock is rising and it only takes one of 30 teams to determine he’s worth the investment. But the Bruins have the system, the mentality and the momentum to start the season in the top five … and stay there.

5. Villanova: There is unfinished business for Jay Wright’s group, which reached the Sweet 16 despite losing point guard Collin Gillespie to a knee injury prior to the NCAAs. We’re assuming Gillespie returns to join top scorer Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (possibly) and Justin Moore (probably). If healthy and intact, the core is plenty good enough to reach the Final Four.

6. Virginia. Few programs stand to benefit from the free year of eligibility more than the Cavaliers. If top scorer Sam Hauser opts to return to Charlottesville — we’re assuming sharpshooter Trey Murphy comes back — then the Cavaliers should again rule the ACC.

7. Connecticut: Our top sleeper pick — yes, even though James Bouknight is headed to the NBA. We expect coach Danny Hurley’s rapid rebuild of the once-great program to maintain its pace, and for the likes of R.J. Cole and Tyrese Martin to thrive without Bouknight. And if the Huskies fall flat, we’ll deny ever writing this.

8. Arkansas: Even without Moses Moody, who’s projected for the lottery, the Razorbacks are positioned to continue their uptick. Eric Musselman is on the top tier of coaches when it comes to both player evaluation and development. His third year in Fayetteville could very well produce an SEC title.

9. Duke: Hard to imagine the Blue Devils slumping for a second consecutive season, especially with a recruiting class that features three five-star prospects. The highest-rated of the group is wing Paolo Banchero, who’s from … Seattle.

10. Alabama: In a worst-case scenario, attrition leaves the Crimson Tide with just enough proven playmakers to hold a spot in the top 10/12. But if either John Petty or Herbert Jones returns — to say nothing of both returning — then Alabama will enter the season as a Final Four favorite.

11. Houston: Quentin Grimes is expected to leave for the NBA, but No. 2 scorer Marcus Sasser could return. And coach Kelvin Sampson has pushed the program to a place where the loss of one player won’t derail momentum.

12. Illinois: Our guess is that Kofi Cockburn returns and Ayo Dosunmu departs. If both return, along with guard Andrew Curbelo, then there’s no reason to expect slippage in Champagne.

13. Baylor: If everything breaks just right and both Jared Butler and Davion Mitchell return, the Bears will warrant a spot in the top five. But we expect Butler and Mitchell to depart — Mitchell is currently slotted for the first round — and a modest rebuild to unfold in Waco.

14. Michigan State: This call is made with much trepidation but based on the presumptive return of top-scorer Aaron Henry and the arrival of freshman Max Christie, the top-ranked shooting guard in the country.

15. North Carolina: Depends on the coaching hire, but there’s more than enough talent for a return to elite status.

16. Arizona: We’re assuming a suspension for coach Sean Miller but not a postseason ban, meaning plenty of motivation for what should be a stout roster led by point guard James Akinjo, wing Bennedict Mathurin and big man Azoulas Tubelis. (We believe Akinjo will return after testing the waters.) The Wildcats aren’t back, to their pre-scandal status, but they are inching forward.

17. Kentucky: We have no idea what’s up in Lexington. But as with Duke, it’s tough to imagine another year like ’21 for Big Blue.

18. Florida State: Scottie Barnes is a projected top-10 pick and not part of our evaluation of FSU. But what of top scorer MJ Walker? He’s a senior but slotted for the second round. If Walker returns, the Seminoles will push Virginia for the ACC title.

19. Oregon: As usual for April, the state of the roster is highly uncertain. We’re assuming Chris Duarte moves on. But what about Eugene Omoruyi, LJ Figueroa and Will Richardson? The other puzzle piece is the health of big man N’Faly Dante. We know the Ducks are welcoming five-star big man Nathan Bittle, and that Dana Altman will construct a rotation worthy of the NCAAs, even if it takes months to coalesce.