Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Schnebly

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Schnebly »

Wait - what's all this now?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Schnebly wrote:Wait - what's all this now?
Dispersal of all your refrigerant like porridge to a humble village. Try to stay cool. A HA HA HA.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Eh, read the article, well written but largely still a giant pile speculative and sensationalist shit IMO.

Don't expect many here to share that opinion, but whatever, I'll own it.

For the record the fact are the facts and are correct, it is the Charlie Brown, cubs pre 2016, bosox pre2007 (or whatever year that was) woe is me pity party Arizona just keeps hope for something it isnt garbage fed to the average college basketball readship that have a problem with.

Glad he's a good writer, I disagree with his style of "art".
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

JMarkJohns wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Isn't the ringer just a step up from bleacher report?

I stopped reading after "what did Arizona fans do to deserve this." What a hot mess of conjecture and sensationalism. Titus clearly does not get that correlation does not equal causation.

Boo hoo douche bag low level sports journalist (he's on the ringer for Christ sakes) wrote an article to sand bag on Arizona and miller and was upset the college basketball scandal broke but didn't want to rewrite, and saw Arizona was peripherally involved, so his 20w refrigerator bulb of an idea was to rework his original story into the tripe linked above. And he's gonna be "edgy" by saying Arizona a fans have had blue ball for 16years! Wow, I can't believe he said that!!! :roll:

Arizona should sue for libel. Again putting sewage out there that will alter the perception of the casual college bball fan.

With friends like these...
I can’t speak to the column. I won’t read it. I’m depressed enough. But, in general, The Ringer is not even close to BleacherReport.

Titus is a damn good college writer.

And The Ringer is the reincarnation (albeit a lesser version) of Grantland. The idea is bring in the best writers in specific genres and give them free reign through HBO partnership.

Is it perfect? No.

But it isn’t Bleacher Report.
That may be and to the uninformed non Arizona college basketball fan it probably passes as a representation of Arizona basketball.

To many here it was a well written piece summarizing Arizona basketball from 2001 on.

For me, it didn't like it. I thought the tone was haughty and pedantic. I don't argue the history as he lays it out, but also don't make as big deal over the superstitious thread he is trying to weave. To me it's a bunch of isolated shitty experiences independent of each other (and a lot of them). I reject his theme and thesis.

And so it goes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You know it's been a bad stretch when people are using words like "pedantic."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yeah I guess I didn't drop enough "blue balls" in my posts

Author used the phrase twice. Maybe next time consult a thesaurus or urban dictionary.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yeah I guess I didn't drop enough "blue balls" in my posts

Author used the phrase twice. Maybe next time consult a thesaurus or urban dictionary.
You need some quotes, go to this guy:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/ ... uto-436029" target="_blank

"As detailed in a La Crosse Police Department report, Westpfahl heard moaning emanating from a gold Pontiac Grand Am. The vehicle’s windows were “partially fogged” and it was “rocking back and forth.”

..."Westpfahl again directed the couple to get dressed and exit the vehicle, as first reported by the La Crosse Tribune. Puttkemery, apparently not happy to have been interrupted, replied, “No. I’m trying to fuck.”

..."After Puttkemery finally stepped out of the Pontiac, naked, he became argumentative and accused Westpfahl of “cock blocking” him and “giving him blue balls,” according to the report. Puttkemery then offered an explanation, of sorts, for his behavior: “You’re a man. You should understand. It’s Oktoberfest weekend.”

As the nude Puttkemery argued with Westpfahl, he ignored the cop’s direction to get dressed. With his underwear in hand, Puttkemery declared, “It’s just a dick. Nothing to be afraid of.”
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

You know one of the things that comes to mind that applies to Book as well as the families that "allegedly" got money (I have doubts but can be convinced that others actually got coin) is that other than the bribe stuff, as long as Book (and others) declare this stuff on their taxes there might be avoidance of other mitigating indictment claims...which means (at least for any others that might have gotten money from Book) that declaring things in their taxes avoids some criminal aspects...this might take another year at the minimium...

So lets play that out:

I think what will have the biggest impact to our program is our own internal investigation from the independent law firm not named "Dewey Screwum and Howe" (other than the actual fact that Book fucked us back to the stone age).

I wonder how the NCAA will feel about it...I notice they delayed handing down UNC's penalties JUST to allow them to have their big fundraising party this weekend...and as much as I want to rag on the NCAA it seems they on some level DO work with the Universities when it comes to the athletic-money-machine...and at this point there seems to be two schools of thought with the prevalent one being "Make and example out of UA and Louisville, the rest get a pass back to business as usual we look good"

But there is another narrative that is possible as well...the idea that yes there are rogue assistants and no real way to always monitor your staff, that money for play is bad but agreeing with the NCAA position is worth a year or two off your sentence and they simply pull a Rick Pitino level infraction and suspend Miller for 6 games next season depending on IF any players got money or not.

This is just as possible as a penalty that nukes our program...and I get the feeling that having a new AD, a new Prez and working closely in conjunction with the Feds, the Ncaa and the PAc12 to demonstrate compliance (which we will do hands down) might actually provide a little grace...Lord knows we need it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

CalStateTempe wrote:
gumby wrote:Dammit, Jim, I'm a poster not a doctor!
Not a surgeon either...a diagnostician, I have time to think.

You guys get my hot takes here so that I remain sane in the real world and a good husband, father, professional.

Lucky you.

Will take a breath and read the article in full when I get home. But I surmise my initial nthoughts were because it was all too real.
So maybe not libel.

So I'm supposed to be sensitive to all the types of doctors and the nuances of the work, but ''THE MEDIA!" 8-)
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:You know it's been a bad stretch when people are using words like "pedantic."
Let me define that for you.

If we detach this sport from college, we won't run into words like that.

Nuke LaLoosh: "Why's he calling me meat? I'm the one driving a Porsche."
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Wow, Russ sure talks a lot about UofA basketball over at the Arizona Sports Fans Network. Here is an interesting post he wrote yesterday.
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/ ... st-3574518" target="_blank

Yesterday at 7:40 PM #1030
Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor
Mr. Boldin said:
I mean, I didn't see him say anything like that so I'm asking. I know you love to drop any rumor you hear in here, and clearly aren't a fan of 97. So maybe you can help me out.

Only thing I saw him post about Leaf is that his AAU team steered him to UCLA, which everyone figured and nobody mentioned money.

Here is Russ' reply to Mr. Boldin:
Someone asked him if the 150k from Adidas to Leaf was still true and he said yes. and that rumor is an accepted fact on that board now.

The Rabb stuff is in the same thread, and was all over the Scout board when it started to become obvious that Rabb was going to Cal not Arizona. I actually called him on it then and told him that Rabb had promised his mom he'd stay home until his younger brother graduated HS. He insisted that wasn't true and would become obvious when Rabb was a one and done. Instead Rabb stayed 2 years, his brother graduated HS, and then Rabb turned pro. I got that 2nd hand from a guy who got it from Lou Richie who was his HS coach. his own mom publicly said we're not going to go to arizona just because that's where everyone thinks we should go.

To be clear I strongly believe he has very good contacts with the UA staff and that's why he has so much inside stuff on recruiting. And again, that's why it bothers me so much, everyone believes what he says, there are still people on that board defending him on the Miller was tipped off by the FBI stuff.

I actually don't post a fraction of the stuff I hear, mostly because I know much of it comes from UCLA fans who have a clear bias. We had our own Leaf rumors involving Nike trying to steal the dad and get TJ to play for the Oakland Soldiers, Gershon even confirmed the Soldiers story. After he flipped back to UCLA, Gershon admitted on BRO that he believed TJ was going where he always wanted to, the whole arizona thing had been an issue with his dad and Adidas(Don MacLean).

I have personal reasons I don't like him which I've probably posted here before.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Why is Russ Smith so obsessed with Arizona basketball? Envy?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

edit.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Are we still talking about this?

Yesterday's news :)
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... estigation" target="_blank
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Five-star point guard Jahvon Quinerly said Saturday that his family has hired a lawyer, but he has not been contacted yet by federal authorities in connection with the FBI investigation into college basketball last month.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Bosy Billups wrote:Too Soon Take:

Feel really bad for Book. He make a mistake, yes, broke some laws, but the consequences will be far more dire then the action. Not like he got someone hurt, or he was even malicious against a person. Thought he'd make a quick buck in a return favor, but that the kid would probably be in fine shape steering to that individual. Just lack of judgment. However, he has burned the bridge of his best friend and mentor Miller, probably won't coach for a long time, face jail and/or fines, huge lawyer fees, reputation hits, etc., all for the quick buck. Pray for Book.
1 more time

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

From college basketball scandal history, a lesson about jumping to conclusions and accepting punishments willingly:

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... 30#p280630" target="_blank
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Catintheheat wrote:Why is Russ Smith so obsessed with Arizona basketball? Envy?
He posts pretty much with any story with any program. He's dialed in on a certain level of hoops and it's on Arizona right now because Arizona is a story.
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

Irish27 wrote:Wow, Russ sure talks a lot about UofA basketball over at the Arizona Sports Fans Network. Here is an interesting post he wrote yesterday.

Mr. Boldin said:
I mean, I didn't see him say anything like that so I'm asking. I know you love to drop any rumor you hear in here, and clearly aren't a fan of 97. So maybe you can help me out.

Only thing I saw him post about Leaf is that his AAU team steered him to UCLA, which everyone figured and nobody mentioned money.

Someone asked him if the 150k from Adidas to Leaf was still true and he said yes. and that rumor is an accepted fact on that board now.

The Rabb stuff is in the same thread, and was all over the Scout board when it started to become obvious that Rabb was going to Cal not Arizona. I actually called him on it then and told him that Rabb had promised his mom he'd stay home until his younger brother graduated HS. He insisted that wasn't true and would become obvious when Rabb was a one and done. Instead Rabb stayed 2 years, his brother graduated HS, and then Rabb turned pro. I got that 2nd hand from a guy who got it from Lou Richie who was his HS coach. his own mom publicly said we're not going to go to arizona just because that's where everyone thinks we should go.

To be clear I strongly believe he has very good contacts with the UA staff and that's why he has so much inside stuff on recruiting. And again, that's why it bothers me so much, everyone believes what he says, there are still people on that board defending him on the Miller was tipped off by the FBI stuff.

I actually don't post a fraction of the stuff I hear, mostly because I know much of it comes from UCLA fans who have a clear bias. We had our own Leaf rumors involving Nike trying to steal the dad and get TJ to play for the Oakland Soldiers, Gershon even confirmed the Soldiers story. After he flipped back to UCLA, Gershon admitted on BRO that he believed TJ was going where he always wanted to, the whole arizona thing had been an issue with his dad and Adidas(Don MacLean).

I have personal reasons I don't like him which I've probably posted here before.
Been on that board for years I've been a Cardinals fan since 1975.

\That board started out as just a Cardinals board and then expanded into a huge board, the Arizona fans part is a very small part of that board.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Russ Smith wrote:
Irish27 wrote:Wow, Russ sure talks a lot about UofA basketball over at the Arizona Sports Fans Network. Here is an interesting post he wrote yesterday.

Mr. Boldin said:

\That board started out as just a Cardinals board and then expanded into a huge board, the Arizona fans part is a very small part of that board.

Jim Hart, Terry Metcalf, Mel Gray, Jackie Smith, Dierdorf/Dobler, Roger Wherle and Jim Bakken. One of the greatest Cardinals teams ever. 1975. Unheralded and forgotten like most, if not all Cardinal teams, no matter where they played or what city they represented.

Although the Super Bowl Phoenix, err 'Arizona' Cardinals with Kurt Warner was a special run.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Hank of sb wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:

Mr. Boldin said:

Jim Hart, Terry Metcalf, Mel Gray, Jackie Smith, Dierdorf/Dobler, Roger Wherle and Jim Bakken. One of the greatest Cardinals teams ever. 1975. Unheralded and forgotten like most, if not all Cardinal teams, no matter where they played or what city they represented.

Although the Super Bowl Phoenix, err 'Arizona' Cardinals with Kurt Warner was a special run.
I did a book report on Jim Hart after reading his autobiography in 5th grade. I remember Ottis Anderson's rookie year, the guy was the only bright spot on that team. Playing on that turf at Busch Stadium in the cold must of been brutal.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Irish27 wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:

Mr. Boldin said:

I did a book report on Jim Hart after reading his autobiography in 5th grade. I remember Ottis Anderson's rookie year, the guy was the only bright spot on that team. Playing on that turf at Busch Stadium in the cold must of been brutal.
Busch Stadium was a great venue but St. Louis weather was not.

My friend's box seats were 2nd deck, sunny side, 2nd row, 45 yard line. Pretty nice seats. You could see everything in slow motion yet it was real time. You could see a wide-open receiver before Jim Hart did. It was weird when he threw the ball to that receiver. The crowd would get excited with the ball in the air.

It was an obvious 25 yard gain (minimum) and it hadn't happened yet.

I've never been to a football stadium since that provided me such a perspective.

I can hear the announcer right now.

Matter of fact. Dry. "Pass complete to Sonny Randle. First down. Ball at the 35."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/10/08 ... -problems/" target="_blank

Drunk uncle chimes in.

It's so cute that Utah thinks they have a bb program.
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

Hank of sb wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:

Mr. Boldin said:

I was born in Missouri but we moved to California before I was 2 because of the weather. My parents referred to it as "Misery" not Missouri.

Terry Metcalf is still my all time favorite NFL player.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Anytime Russ posts:

gumby

Post by gumby »

Geez, left out Mark Arneson, of Palo Verde High and the UofA!

Bad fans!

Mike Dawson joined the Cardinals in 1976. Can remember when he had a sports bar in Tucson.
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

gumby wrote:Geez, left out Mark Arneson, of Palo Verde High and the UofA!

Bad fans!

Mike Dawson joined the Cardinals in 1976. Can remember when he had a sports bar in Tucson.

LB right?

Being a Cards fan then was tough, the offense was amazing, as good as any offense in the league. But the defense was terrible and the team was so bad at drafting that they missed their window.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Bad fans!

It was called The Sports Page. I think that is where they found the body parts of a woman in the dumpster. I don't think they ever caught the killer.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Bad fans!

I think Mark Arneson was a Beta. Not sure. Never was a Greek myself as I had come from Boston (via St. Louis) right after Kent State happened. (The idea of going Greek from the East Coast-- simply.not.possible.) The Greeks weren't bad guys I found out. (Tucson was a time warp.) Poker. Lots of all the other stuff that went on back then was around. Of course.

Don't remember the 'college' part that much.

My roommate on N. Forgeus & Elm--a Beta-- idolized Mark Arneson. Said he as a regular guy. Humble. He would just hang out with the guys, none of whom were playing college football..... by then, they were not even playing touch football. Too stoned.

Team was horrible.

Not much has changed there. (45 year ago now!)
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Bad fans!

I was in a class with Jim Arneson, Mark's younger brother. If I remember right it was COBOL programming and I spent a fair bit of time helping him out, but I could be wrong.

Jim was a Parade All-American in High School, and maybe had a better career at UA than did Mark, but Mark was more consistent in the NFL IIRC.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Damn, there are people older them me on here.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

At Books arraignment today his lawyer claimed he is innocent...100k bond had to give up passport and is on restricted travel, home and NY for court shit only.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFanOneMil wrote:At Books arraignment today his lawyer claimed he is innocent...100k bond had to give up passport and is on restricted travel, home and NY for court shit only.
Pretty much every one enters a plea of not guilty at arraignment. That means next to zilch. The coming days will mean far more.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

For what it's worth, the daily star is proving why people have an issue with the media in this, IMO. They have a "Day 14" story and have run that day # story every single day since. There just isn't enough news coming out to warrant that. Dropping that in every day...well, it's why I wonder about whether it's covering the story or trying to create the story.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:For what it's worth, the daily star is proving why people have an issue with the media in this, IMO. They have a "Day 14" story and have run that day # story every single day since. There just isn't enough news coming out to warrant that. Dropping that in every day...well, it's why I wonder about whether it's covering the story or trying to create the story.
Hardcopy media is in trouble, online media is quickly replacing all those trees and vans full of mobile expensive video equipment, hell I watched Joe Lunardi from his bedroom last year I still don't know if he was wearing pants or not...no way in hell I'm watching Jason Barr or reading Pascoe for my "true but accurate" information...

In view of this I think the last part of your statement rings truest.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Federal judge sets Arizona assistant Book Richardson's bond at $100K in basketball scandal case

Arizona Daily Star Oct 10, 2017 Updated 1 hr ago

NEW YORK — Emanuel "Book" Richardson will not sit in jail while he awaits trial on corruption charges, a federal judge ruled Tuesday.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Katharine H. Parker set Richardson's bond at $100,000 during a brief detention hearing at the Daniel Patrick Moynihan Federal Courthouse. The total is exactly double the bond set by a federal judge in Tucson two weeks ago.

Richardson's next court appearance, a preliminary hearing, has been set for Nov. 9.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 7b885.html" target="_blank
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:For what it's worth, the daily star is proving why people have an issue with the media in this, IMO. They have a "Day 14" story and have run that day # story every single day since. There just isn't enough news coming out to warrant that. Dropping that in every day...well, it's why I wonder about whether it's covering the story or trying to create the story.
Not unique to this story nor this media outlet, really. The Star is trying to hammer it because of the local angle and now they'll be able to add a "Day 15" snippet tomorrow with Book's hearing this afternoon but look at how this has disappeared from the national news. Jamele Hill and Harvey Weinstein are the big stories today. And it will be something else in a day or two. Even the Las Vegas shooting has become tertiary barely a week later. I stopped checking every outlet each day for new updates about a week ago when it became apparent that this isn't really going anywhere else anytime soon in spite of what Feldman or any other alleged insider tweets out. Between UA Football suddenly having a little sizzle - I hope - the MLB playoffs, Red/Blue coming up, UA Baseball Fall Ball in their revamped digs, the weather getting really nice and everything else that makes this just a fantastic time of year for sports fans in Tucson and many other places, I've pretty much moved on. For now. ;)
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So we're looking at Dec/Jan before a ruling is made. P12 play before the NCAA acts?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:So we're looking at Dec/Jan before a ruling is made. P12 play before the NCAA acts?
What makes you think it will be that short a period of time?

For comparison's sake, the UNC academic issue was initiated in 2010 and still is pending finality. It took over a year for Louisville to get a notice of allegations for the prostitution and two for punishment.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Perfect!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Perfect!
Those timelines are why I think unless the internal investigation makes us strongly believe someone is ineligible, we play this year with no restrictions. We will almost certainly not know what the NCAA thinks by March, IMO.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Just win baby!

I thought I saw a tweet last week about more indictments coming? With other schools. So far nothing...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Just win baby!

I thought I saw a tweet last week about more indictments coming? With other schools. So far nothing...
I posted that. It said 2 weeks and was based in sources. I wouldn't put a ton on it, but figured I'd toss it in here because at this point, it's pretty much all speculation.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Book Richardson's legal trials begin with a brief hearing, a bond — and an embrace

By Jon Gold Special to the Arizona Daily Star Oct 10, 2017

Richardson was joined by his wife, Erin, his lawyers David Axelrod and Craig Mordock, and friends. He appeared in good spirits in the clerk’s office, pacing as he awaited instruction on posting bond. As he exited the courtroom, Richardson — dressed in a blue suit and red tie, Arizona’s colors — first-bumped a reporter and flashed a reserved smile.

Mordock was asked how Richardson was handling the appearance.

“Not well,” before adding that Richardson was “very nervous” about the hearing.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... e4d93.html" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

On the upside, we made the cover of the Sports Illustrated I got today.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

HiCat wrote:Book Richardson's legal trials begin with a brief hearing, a bond — and an embrace

By Jon Gold Special to the Arizona Daily Star Oct 10, 2017

Richardson was joined by his wife, Erin, his lawyers David Axelrod and Craig Mordock, and friends. He appeared in good spirits in the clerk’s office, pacing as he awaited instruction on posting bond. As he exited the courtroom, Richardson — dressed in a blue suit and red tie, Arizona’s colors — first-bumped a reporter and flashed a reserved smile.

Mordock was asked how Richardson was handling the appearance.

“Not well,” before adding that Richardson was “very nervous” about the hearing.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... e4d93.html" target="_blank
Wearing Arizona colors?

Beardown, Book. Beardown.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:On the upside, we made the cover of the Sports Illustrated I got today.
Whats on it? Can't find it online
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:On the upside, we made the cover of the Sports Illustrated I got today.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/o ... 94f2e.html

This article says a Grand Jury has asked OSU to hand over documents pertaining to NCAA violations...in an FBI probe...in other words the FBI has asked to convene a grand jury for subpoena purposes regarding NCAA violations...

This strikes me a very odd (if accurate)...how does the FBI have any standing to enforce NCAA violations?

If true this looks like a completely different show than the first one that dropped that fell on our happy place and broke it...

Anyone have any idea how this makes sense to the investigation, IF it is specifically about NCAA violations...the NCAA is a non-profit organization (color me shocked)...how does any Federal organisation have power to enforce/scrutinize the rules set out by a non-profit...?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:
Cover jinx means all this shit is just gonna disappear, right?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?