Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: let's talk '18

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

midnightx wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I know there’s like zero reason to expect JB to end up a Wildcat, but why the f would he go to Nevada? Reminds me a little of Zimmerman choosing UNLV over better programs.
Totally agree. At least UNLV had a legacy of some regard and Zimmerman was a LV native. It is unclear why JB would find Nevada more appealing than an elite program.
Maybe he likes skiing?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

watching all the BIL stuff (scrimmage, game, and 1v1) gotta say Little is a monster, Cherry is soft, Akinjo would have been a solid backup plan to BWill, the guy that is going to USC next year is a freak athlete and looks like a really good player, Shareef leaving is fine (always have felt this way)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Lotta salty bitch-ass Zags fans on social media.

Good
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote:Lotta salty bitch-ass Zags fans on social media.

Good
Zags & Ducks never would have had a chance at BW if it wasn't for Schlabach & ESPN.

Miller has been incredible. Hopefully he has a restful summer and is reinvigorated with his recruiting success.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Good
That makes zero sense. They’re a top 10 team next year, and we’ll have to scrape/claw just to get into the tourney. Zags are getting greedy.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Oh damn. Traveled 10 hours today from rural Wisconsin back to Tucson and totally missed out. Awesome
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Good
That makes zero sense. They’re a top 10 team next year, and we’ll have to scrape/claw just to get into the tourney. Zags are getting greedy.
I'm growing to dislike their program because they play such a shit schedule in a shit conference. It's the equivalent of Arizona playing Washington State 15 times in a season.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

One more little nugget I just read about the Brandon Williams recruitment. Tad Boyle and Colorado tried to get involved late in the process.

So Williams visited ASU --- and they didn't even make the final cut.

Visited Gonzaga and Oregon.

And chose Arizona. I'd say Williams is helping "vindicate" Miller. Nice.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Good
Disagree, think we’re legit PAC12 contenders, and imo favorites with a Jordan Brown commitment.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jordan Brown Watch 2018 begins...NOW.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This is awesome news. Really happy for the program.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Is he the point guard that is promised?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Good
Disagree, think we’re legit PAC12 contenders, and imo favorites with a Jordan Brown commitment.
I’d still give an edge to Oregon, even if JB comes to AZ. That Duck frontcourt is loaded.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

this is one of the most loaded classes coming into the pac 12 ever next season. arizona, asu, ucla, oregon and usc all have top 20ish classes coming in. even with BW it is far from certain that we'll be the best team in the conference, even a top 2-3 team. at this point all we know is that we won't be as awful as we looked to be a month ago and that we are a tournament level team with the roster.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Good
That’s never happened to a program that’s risen from the middle of the pack (PAC??) before, I’m sure!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Didn’t believe. Amazing
Believe it Yo. We ain’t going down without a fight.
Very much appreciate you keeping the faith.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I really don't get why Brown wouldn't take his last official visit with Arizona, given that we're in his final three. Logically that doesn't make a ton of sense to me... and unlike Cal, who he also hasn't taken an official visit to, we're not in his backyard - he could use the Zona sponsored official to get here.

What's the hold up? What's the harm in taking it?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:I really don't get why Brown wouldn't take his last official visit with Arizona, given that we're in his final three. Logically that doesn't make a ton of sense to me... and unlike Cal, who he also hasn't taken an official visit to, we're not in his backyard - he could use the Zona sponsored official to get here.

Brown did take an official to Cal back in February. I imagine if he's not 100% sold on Nevada then he uses his visit to Arizona some time in the next two weeks.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Against all odds, still a witch.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:I really don't get why Brown wouldn't take his last official visit with Arizona, given that we're in his final three. Logically that doesn't make a ton of sense to me... and unlike Cal, who he also hasn't taken an official visit to, we're not in his backyard - he could use the Zona sponsored official to get here.

Brown did take an official to Cal back in February. I imagine if he's not 100% sold on Nevada then he uses his visit to Arizona some time in the next two weeks.
I like the way you're thinking, Choo.

Come on, JB!
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Miller has guided Arizona to back to back Pac 12 regular season & tournament titles. I actually like the fact that Arizona won't be the favorites. But inside that Arizona locker room, you can bet Miller will have this team ready to contend. I still like our chances for a 3PEAT. I really do.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote: I still like our chances for a 3PEAT. I really do.
The reason I'm not quite as sanguine is because I don't know who's going to lead this team. We do have the older transfers coming in (Coleman and Luther), so that's good, but we'll have to see if a vocal floor leader emerges in the pre-season. Seems like the FF teams always have a couple key 3rd/4th year players. Then again, as I scan the Pac, I don't see many players who fit that description. Maybe Pritchard on Oregon. Travis on Stanford.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

Uninformed guesses but I'm pinning leadership hopes on Coleman or BWill.

Not sure how the feel of the locker room is? Seems like our collection of wings all seem to be easygoing. Maybe BRandolph will emerge as one if he ends up being a starter or super 6th man for us next year.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Just spitballing -- maybe there's a fear on his part that he'll really like what he sees in Tucson and then will have a REAL decision to make whereas Nevada is virtually in his backyard and a safer choice as he sees it. Avoids muddying the waters if it stays out of sight/out of mind. Who knows.
ezinaz

Post by ezinaz »

Pop McKale wrote:

Just spitballing -- maybe there's a fear on his part that he'll really like what he sees in Tucson and then will have a REAL decision to make whereas Nevada is virtually in his backyard and a safer choice as he sees it. Avoids muddying the waters if it stays out of sight/out of mind. Who knows.
Didn't JB cancel his "official" visit to Nevada (and instead used an unofficial visit to go there) so that he could use his last official visit for a trip to Tucson?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:this is one of the most loaded classes coming into the pac 12 ever next season. arizona, asu, ucla, oregon and usc all have top 20ish classes coming in. even with BW it is far from certain that we'll be the best team in the conference, even a top 2-3 team. at this point all we know is that we won't be as awful as we looked to be a month ago and that we are a tournament level team with the roster.
It is a great class. We have seen that work and that fail miserably when there is a core of upper-classmen who have, in their mind, earned the time. The Oregon class is highly ranked, but I don't think it is the best we have seen recently...just it is in a year where so many of the prospects in the class are near the top of the ratings. Of course, year to year, classes differ. And this one is ranked top 3, but is also not packed with top 10 or 20 prospects. No one touches what Duke has done, but there is simply more spreading out this year beyond Duke.

The problem there will be integrating the new guys with players who have played in a Final Four and new guys getting lots of attention. Only one of Oregon's class is a supposed sure-fire hit...Bol Bol. He will be much like Ayton was for us, and they should hope he progresses as much as Ayton did. The rest of the class is int he 20s, 30s, and 50s...in other words, like Randolph, Akot and company. Will Richardson has had a meteoric rise, so that is to be seen how he assimilates.

But I think it is getting ahead of things to say their two-5 star, two-4 star class is one of the most loaded ever. They will be favorites. The talent is certainly there. Over the years, there have been problems when a near starting 5 of highly touted freshmen come onto a team with successful holdovers (I think the best example goes a ways back, in the 90's at UNC..a title team adding Stackhouse and Wallace and losing little should have been a sure thing...instead, they imploded. The seniors never trusted the freshmen, and the freshmen didn't respect the seniors. And that was Dean Smith. Will Altman have as much control?

Again, not saying they aren't the class of the PAC. They are. But this class is a very good class in a year when two 5-stars and two 4-stars gets you a top 3 class. Beyond Bol Bol, none of these guys are automatic day one impact players.

We are in a position to challenge for a top 3 spot now. It is a bit of guesswork right now to know if Jeter is legit or a bust, if BW is ready to run from day one, if some of the things happening off the court with Barcello are resolved enough (not related to him or trouble) to allow him to make the jump as a sophomore, if Randolph was really just intimidated by Trier or not clutch, etc, etc...

But star for ranking star, we are right there with everyone 7 deep. I am excited to even think we have a chance.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

One of the most loaded years for PAC-12 recruiting, not solely Oregon.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

EVCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:this is one of the most loaded classes coming into the pac 12 ever next season. arizona, asu, ucla, oregon and usc all have top 20ish classes coming in. even with BW it is far from certain that we'll be the best team in the conference, even a top 2-3 team. at this point all we know is that we won't be as awful as we looked to be a month ago and that we are a tournament level team with the roster.
It is a great class. We have seen that work and that fail miserably when there is a core of upper-classmen who have, in their mind, earned the time. The Oregon class is highly ranked, but I don't think it is the best we have seen recently...just it is in a year where so many of the prospects in the class are near the top of the ratings. Of course, year to year, classes differ. And this one is ranked top 3, but is also not packed with top 10 or 20 prospects. No one touches what Duke has done, but there is simply more spreading out this year beyond Duke.

The problem there will be integrating the new guys with players who have played in a Final Four and new guys getting lots of attention. Only one of Oregon's class is a supposed sure-fire hit...Bol Bol. He will be much like Ayton was for us, and they should hope he progresses as much as Ayton did. The rest of the class is int he 20s, 30s, and 50s...in other words, like Randolph, Akot and company. Will Richardson has had a meteoric rise, so that is to be seen how he assimilates.

But I think it is getting ahead of things to say their two-5 star, two-4 star class is one of the most loaded ever. They will be favorites. The talent is certainly there. Over the years, there have been problems when a near starting 5 of highly touted freshmen come onto a team with successful holdovers (I think the best example goes a ways back, in the 90's at UNC..a title team adding Stackhouse and Wallace and losing little should have been a sure thing...instead, they imploded. The seniors never trusted the freshmen, and the freshmen didn't respect the seniors. And that was Dean Smith. Will Altman have as much control?

Again, not saying they aren't the class of the PAC. They are. But this class is a very good class in a year when two 5-stars and two 4-stars gets you a top 3 class. Beyond Bol Bol, none of these guys are automatic day one impact players.

We are in a position to challenge for a top 3 spot now. It is a bit of guesswork right now to know if Jeter is legit or a bust, if BW is ready to run from day one, if some of the things happening off the court with Barcello are resolved enough (not related to him or trouble) to allow him to make the jump as a sophomore, if Randolph was really just intimidated by Trier or not clutch, etc, etc...

But star for ranking star, we are right there with everyone 7 deep. I am excited to even think we have a chance.
I do not know what it is about Bol but something about him makes me think he will have no where near the impact as Ayton did. He has immense talent for sure but heard he was lazy at Mater Dei and has no where near the strength as Ayton. I could be totally wrong but he reminds me of a lot of One and Done's who stay for a year, don't really have this dramatic impact like you think they would then leave. Great skill for sure

We get Brown, I feel like we are right back in the thick of things
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bol’s size is ridiculous, and he’ll block/change a lot of shots. Oregon may not need him to score a lot of points to make an impact.

There’s no way he’ll be as valuable as Ayton, but he’ll definitely be a factor in the Pac race, imo. I’m curious to see how foul-prone he is.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:One of the most loaded years for PAC-12 recruiting, not solely Oregon.
True that
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Bol’s size is ridiculous, and he’ll block/change a lot of shots. Oregon may not need him to score a lot of points to make an impact.

There’s no way he’ll be as valuable as Ayton, but he’ll definitely be a factor in the Pac race, imo. I’m curious to see how foul-prone he is.
With Pac-12 refs? He's going to be a foul magnet.

At least against the teams not named Arizona.
cpt

Post by cpt »

When is Jordan Brown supposed to decide?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

cpt wrote:When is Jordan Brown supposed to decide?
I believe Choo said within the next two weeks.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
I mean that's what his dad said. Who knows when he'll decide in all actuality.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
I'm gonna trust his dad on this one. I bet they wanna wrap this up and go public with it. Come on, JB! No fans in America will love you the way ours will!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Unfortunately I have no inside info on this one.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Unfortunately I have no inside info on this one.
If the guy's options are Nevada, Cal and AZ, I can't see how the first two are even in the conversation. BW had three very good options; JB seems to have one.
NorCalCat

Post by NorCalCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
I'm gonna trust his dad on this one. I bet they wanna wrap this up and go public with it. Come on, JB! No fans in America will love you the way ours will!

A tiny bit of insight as my kid plays hoops on a team with the Asst AD of his old high school who knows him pretty well. When I asked about the three schools his response was "His family is notorious for over thinking everything". I guess we kinda knew that already though. He also mentioned they've known Musselman for a while and value his NBA bonafides.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NorCalCat wrote: He also mentioned they've known Musselman for a while and value his NBA bonafides.
Aha. That explains the Nevada thing. If Musselman's been handling this recruitment well and making a good pitch, maybe JB opts for the quiet confines of the Mountain West.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Cal is def not a great basketball option - but the best school option. Like it or not, UNR is a legit basketball option now. As good as UofA? We're all biased and probably not, but Reno & Musselman are far from a bad option these days. Hard not to get optimistic about this though from our perspective.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Cal is def not a great basketball option - but the best school option. Like it or not, UNR is a legit basketball option now. As good as UofA? We're all biased and probably not, but Reno & Musselman are far from a bad option these days. Hard not to get optimistic about this though from our perspective.
If there's a big question about Nevada, it's how long Musselman is at Nevada. He's a legit rising star in the coaching world, and it would not shock anyone to see him get looks at major programs immediately.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

catgrad97 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Bol’s size is ridiculous, and he’ll block/change a lot of shots. Oregon may not need him to score a lot of points to make an impact.

With Pac-12 refs? He's going to be a foul magnet.

At least against the teams not named Arizona.
He has the benefit of being lean and long rather than wide and strong. The Pac-12 refs seem particularly focused on post players using their lower bodies to move guys (see: Ira Lee) rather than on long players slapping balls and catching a bit of hand.

Just my observation, could be wrong.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:Cal is def not a great basketball option - but the best school option. Like it or not, UNR is a legit basketball option now. As good as UofA? We're all biased and probably not, but Reno & Musselman are far from a bad option these days. Hard not to get optimistic about this though from our perspective.
If there's a big question about Nevada, it's how long Musselman is at Nevada. He's a legit rising star in the coaching world, and it would not shock anyone to see him get looks at major programs immediately.
Well that and do the twins come back or just go pro? If they come back then with brown they are a legit final four contender. If they don't then they're not worth shit quite frankly.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Well that and do the twins come back or just go pro? If they come back then with brown they are a legit final four contender. If they don't then they're not worth shit quite frankly.
Are the twins a package to stay/go? What are their prospects? How long could that realistically go?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah, but does FF contention mean much to Brown? These days, you just don't know. If it did, there would be a lot of schools who are close to a FF that would like his services, IMO.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah, but does FF contention mean much to Brown? These days, you just don't know. If it did, there would be a lot of schools who are close to a FF that would like his services, IMO.
If playing on a quality team didnt matter to Brown he would've committed to Cal months ago.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Are the twins a package to stay/go? What are their prospects? How long could that realistically go?
You almost never see twins not make the same exact decision. I've seen Caleb slotted in the early 2nd round and Cody in the latter end of the 2nd round. I think they're both at the point where they can't raise their draft stock with another year, so it'll be interesting to see what they do.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

The three schools:

Cal

Pros: In his backyard, easy for parents to watch him play, is an excellent school, Pac-12 exposure.

Cons: Mediocre facilities, limited talent this year, limited fan base, unlikely to win much, unlikely to dance, limited relationship with new coach.

Wildcard: They have picked up coach David Grace, formerly of UCLA and the main recruiter that was drawing Brown there... so that immediately improves the coaching relationship for Cal.

Nevada

Pros: Very good team (depending on the draft, see below), close to home (2hr drive), newly re-engaged fan base (80% avg attendance), excellent coach, good relationship with coaches, very likely to win their conference, very likely to dance deep.

Cons: You're in Reno, decent facilities, Mountain West Conference is the 8th best in the country with limited top end talent, limited exposure in the MWC, meh academics, no true big man to practice against.

Wildcard: The draft and who returns, with their three best returning players testing the waters, including both starting post players... losing any of those three players would be a big blow to Nevada's preseason expectations (imo their greatest strength in the pitch). Caleb Martin, who is 23yrs old and won the conference POY last season, is the most likely to enter the draft - he's projected as a late first round pick. He'd also be the biggest loss for the Wolfpack as their leading scorer and lone remaining shooter. Their additional concern is that twin brother Cody could follow suit - he's their best defender and assist leader. The deadline for withdrawal from the draft is June 11th - four weeks from now.

Arizona

Pros: Excellent coach, world class facilities, good team, great fanbase and attendance, best exposure among the three, best pedigree of sending players to the NBA, recruiting momentum with Brandon Williams commitment, likely to compete for a conference title and dance with commitment, familiar with some of our players, five star true big (Jeter) to practice against.

Cons: ESPN reporting, the FBI cloud, unproven talent on the team, lower than Nevada preseason projection if they return their draft entrants, furthest from his father (who serves as his coach/trainer/mentor), meh academics.

Wildcard: Official visit - if we can get Brown on campus, he can see the level of talent in the players their, the energy of the team, the beauty of Tucson, and the unimpeachable facilities first hand. Hopefully we get him on campus and emphasize the easy direct flights from SFO/OAK/SJC to TUC.

All three schools provide Brown a wide open door to start at PF or C from day one.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon May 07, 2018 11:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
You almost never see twins not make the same exact decision. I've seen Caleb slotted in the early 2nd round and Cody in the latter end of the 2nd round. I think they're both at the point where they can't raise their draft stock with another year, so it'll be interesting to see what they do.
Yeah I've seen Caleb in the late first / early second - I'd think Cody would go late second. Both are already 23y/o so already old for the draft.

Like Choo said: one twin normally follows the other - and these guys are no exception. Caleb and Cody both committed to NCST, spent two seasons there and then transferred together to UNR. Both were highly productive and decorated last season. It seems likely that they'll move on together. Caleb, having won conference POY, has little more to prove in the coming season in college basketball. Chasing a title for UNR sounds nice, but at 23 years old I have to think he's more focused on entering the league ASAP.

Without Caleb and Cody, that team is pretty trash. If Caroline goes as well - they're unlikely to be conference favorites, let alone national title contenders.

Brown, from his Dad's messaging, will be making his choice two or three weeks prior to the draft withdrawal deadline. Curious how the Nevada entrants will play in that decision.