The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by azcat49 »

Baker has 0 turnovers in his last 100 minutes I read. Steve Kerr flash back to taking care of the Ball
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat49 wrote:Baker has 0 turnovers in his last 100 minutes I read. Steve Kerr flash back to taking care of the Ball
Some of his contested mid-range shots have the same effect as turnovers, though.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This homestand coming up gonna be harder than I expected. Need to protect home court. Keep pace with Oregon.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Baker has 0 turnovers in his last 100 minutes I read. Steve Kerr flash back to taking care of the Ball
Some of his contested mid-range shots have the same effect as turnovers, though.

I feel the same way about Dylan Smith taking 3 point shots. A miss with a long rebound generally turns into 2 points for the opposing team.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

So you weigh that with his defensive ability, rebounds, shooting percentage, etc... And weigh that against Dylan Smith and his penchant for poor shot selection, turnovers and his defense. Not always a cut and dry decision for Miller.

Baker had a pretty good road trip.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:This homestand coming up gonna be harder than I expected. Need to protect home court. Keep pace with Oregon.
USC has a better away record than Oregon with only 2 losses this year. USC and especially Stanford are our biggest games. Stanford because we play them only once and it is at their place. Their are 5 teams with the same loss record in the PAC-12. UCLA is the only other PAC-12 team with a two game winning streak and Miller and Cronin hate each other. All games will be critical but Stanford especially.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Frybry02 wrote:After losing 5 of 7, it is great to see this team follow up with taking 4 of 5. They have a great opportunity to keep the momentum going!
we must protect home court.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:After losing 5 of 7, it is great to see this team follow up with taking 4 of 5. They have a great opportunity to keep the momentum going!
Yep. Wouldn’t be so surprising to see us drop another road game or two, but we HAVE to win our remaining ones at McKale, and get that win total as high as possible.

The Pac race is shaping up nicely for the home stretch. None of the top 5 really out of it yet.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Yep. Wouldn’t be so surprising to see us drop another road game or two, but we HAVE to win our remaining ones at McKale, and get that win total as high as possible.

The Pac race is shaping up nicely for the home stretch. None of the top 5 really out of it yet.
I don't even care about the pac race at the moment. we just need as many w's as possible for our march resume, and any home loss is going to hurt extra due to our relative lack of wins in quadrant 1
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

I don't even care about the pac race at the moment. we just need as many w's as possible for our march resume, and any home loss is going to hurt extra due to our relative lack of wins in quadrant 1
Same here, the PAC regular season champ doesn't really matter since the winner of the PAC tourney is the one who gets the automatic invite. The only thing the regular season champ will get you is another banner to hang.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

[/quote] ...The only thing the regular season champ will get you is another banner to hang.[/quote]

...and a No.1 seeding in the conference tournament - which may provide to be a true advantage this year.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

MountainCat wrote:
...The only thing the regular season champ will get you is another banner to hang.[/quote]

...and a No.1 seeding in the conference tournament - which may provide to be a true advantage this year.[/quote]

I actually think that a home court advantage in the conference tournament is the biggest true advantage. With the way the Cats fans take over Vegas this year, this is certainly good for us.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

All true. I'd rather get more wins over the top of our conference than actually win the conference, which Miller has already done several times. Let's beat the Oregons, USC and Stanford. And hopefully get some payback vs. ASU in the Pac tourney.

Since there seems to be less separation between the top tier (Baylor, Zaga, SDSU, Kansas) and everyone else this year, and since so many of the teams intermittently ranked between 5 and 15 have been upset multiple times, I remain hopeful that we can sneak a little deeper in the tourney this year if we catch a few breaks.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
MountainCat wrote:
...The only thing the regular season champ will get you is another banner to hang.
...and a No.1 seeding in the conference tournament - which may provide to be a true advantage this year.[/quote]

I actually think that a home court advantage in the conference tournament is the biggest true advantage. With the way the Cats fans take over Vegas this year, this is certainly good for us.[/quote]

No one was there last year and I am not getting a good buzz for this year unlike every other year since the tournament moved to Vegas.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote: No one was there last year and I am not getting a good buzz for this year unlike every other year since the tournament moved to Vegas.
Large group of us are going to the Pac tourney this year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote: No one was there last year and I am not getting a good buzz for this year unlike every other year since the tournament moved to Vegas.
What? No invite? I see how it is bud.

On another note how could you expect Arizona fans to travel last year when it was beyond obvious that we were not going to contend. It's only worth going if you expect to contend for the title, otherwise you're just taking a trip to Vegas to take a trip to Vegas. Our play the rest of the way will certainly dictate fan turn out.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
What? No invite? I see how it is bud.

On another note how could you expect Arizona fans to travel last year when it was beyond obvious that we were not going to contend. It's only worth going if you expect to contend for the title, otherwise you're just taking a trip to Vegas to take a trip to Vegas. Our play the rest of the way will certainly dictate fan turn out.
Choo! I'll send you info about where we're staying as the event approaches. I didn't buy the tickets. Just reimbursed a friend who bought a ton of them. It would be fun to do a BearDownWildcats meet up.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I will be there as usual but most of the other people I know who go every year did not go last year and are not going again this year
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:I will be there as usual but most of the other people I know who go every year did not go last year and are not going again this year
You need to stop hanging out with such bad fans
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Me and azcat49 will be there barring an implosion with the team.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I will be there as usual but most of the other people I know who go every year did not go last year and are not going again this year
You need to stop hanging out with such bad fans

:lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm actually going to do consecutive weekends in Vegas this March (Pac tourney + first/second rounds). I'll need to stagger the drinking in order to reach the finish line, but I'm determined to watch a lot of AZ games amid an ocean of UofA tshirts and hats.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/" target="_blank

Arizona's metrics still have it extremely high.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

AP

Ducks 14
UA 23
rado 24
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

zonagrad wrote:https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/

Nice, so 3 seed and most likely to win Pac12 tourney with a 5% chance of winning it all

R32 88%
R16 59%
R8 34%
R4 19%
Champ game 10%
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

84Cat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/

Nice, so 3 seed and most likely to win Pac12 tourney with a 5% chance of winning it all

R32 88%
R16 59%
R8 34%
R4 19%
Champ game 10%
Yeah but they are also picking ASU to make the tourney at #39. Is that solely based on their win over us? two week ago? Otherwise I don't see how. I would even put Stanford or USC above them.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

ASU has their annual play in game to lose in. That still technically counts as getting in.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

AZCatGirl wrote:ASU has their annual play in game to lose in. That still technically counts as getting in.
Watching ASU lose in the play-in game has become a family tradition in my house.

NCAA... please never take that away from me.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The Play in game is NCAA welfare for programs like ASU that couldn’t get into the field of 64.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sweep this weekend and things will be looking very good for the conference race.

Cats currently at 5 with the tie breakers but the Cats play USC which is currently 3rd. Stanford at 4th currently plays Colorado at 2nd currently this weekend as well.

All teams 1-5 have three conference losses.

Sweep USC and UCLA and things open up big time for a top seed in Vegas and a top 5 seed in the NCAA tournament.

The biggest thing is to beat Oregon one or two more times and finish better than them, so that the Cats can be in the West
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:Sweep this weekend and things will be looking very good for the conference race.

Cats currently at 5 with the tie breakers but the Cats play USC which is currently 3rd. Stanford at 4th currently plays Colorado at 2nd currently this weekend as well.

All teams 1-5 have three conference losses.

Sweep USC and UCLA and things open up big time for a top seed in Vegas and a top 5 seed in the NCAA tournament.

The biggest thing is to beat Oregon one or two more times and finish better than them, so that the Cats can be in the West
Pac feels pretty wide open at the moment, especially after Stanford beat Oregon pretty comfortably. There are five teams still with a legit chance to win the league: Oregon, Colorado, Arizona, Stanford, USC.

Think you're right, PHX: we need to beat Oregon at *least* once to even be in the conversation for a higher seed. Beating them twice, plus a Pac tourney title, probably gets us up to the 4 seed line.

But let's start with 2-0 at McKale this week.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Distinction without a difference imo. Guards/wings/bigs (centers if they can't shoot).
I think you're looking at Kerr through the lens of modern hoops. We're in the age of "positionless" basketball. Kerr's era still had positions. It was part of the culture of basketball until fairly recently.

Still, I really couldn't say whether Kerr was more of a PG or SG. I see that he never averaged more than 4 assists per game, which is on the low side for a great PG, but it's also possible Lute's system allowed guards a lot of flexibility to move from a distributor role to a catch-and-shoot role. Not sure.

If we're going to call Kerr a PG, then yes, he's absolutely top 5 in program history.

To me the top 4 are clear:

Bibby
Damon
Terry
TJ

Probably in that order.

I think 5th is an argument between Kerr and Gardner. After that i think you drop down to Lofton, Bayless, etc and then probably guys like Nico, Shakur, Wise. If Nico took us to a FF you would definitely move him up into the Gardner/Kerr tier.

This is of course assuming we are keeping guys like Salim, Khalid, and Gil at SG where they predominantly played at UA , even if some played pg in the association.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

usc game thread is up

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I really need the Cats to provide me a major distraction to get my mind off of what is happening in this country.

I need a really really deep run.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:I really need the Cats to provide me a major distraction to get my mind off of what is happening in this country.

Amen.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Alieberman wrote:I really need the Cats to provide me a major distraction to get my mind off of what is happening in this country.

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.

Interestingly, Gallup had a poll out this morning that showed that a record 90% of Americans are satisfied with their personal life.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/284285/new ... -life.aspx" target="_blank

I want to see a deep run because I am a greedy Wildcat fan :D
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dmjcat wrote:

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.

Interestingly, Gallup had a poll out this morning that showed that a record 90% of Americans are satisfied with their personal life.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/284285/new ... -life.aspx" target="_blank

I want to see a deep run because I am a greedy Wildcat fan :D
Being satisfied with your personal life means absolutely zip with satisfaction of how the country is being run...
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

are we gonna do this again on the basketball forum?

asking for a friend...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:are we gonna do this again on the basketball forum?

asking for a friend...
More importantly why?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I apologize

Go Cats
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

This, more than ever.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

:D Wish I had mods for when my parents come up. :D
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Go cats!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So...USC? We're winning this, right?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:So...USC? We're winning this, right?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:So...USC? We're winning this, right?
Nice, greg!

I'd like to see this team get into the empire business! #heisenberg #pinkman #beardown
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Let's cook.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Look who's headed back to Tucson today...

Guess he's calling the UCLA game as well.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:Look who's headed back to Tucson today...

Guess he's calling the UCLA game as well.

You'd be hard pressed to find the last AZ/UCLA game Walton didn't call.