Rawle Alkins

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Rawle Alkins

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:As long as I'm starting, chem will be fine.
In the massively underrated book "Loose Balls" by Terry Pluto, there's a great anecdote about Fly Williams. His team was down big at the half, and the coach gave a 5 minute impassioned speech about how there was only one way for them to get back into the game, and that was to play as a team. He spoke about how they needed to rely on each other, share the ball and help on defense.

Then, just before they headed back out on the floor, he asked if the players had anything to add. Fly chimed in "you all just need to throw me the ball and get out of the way and I'll handle this."
Is that the ABA book? "Fly's open. Go Peay!"

Shortstop Garry Templeton had the right attitude when asked about the All-Star game: "If I ain't startin', I ain't departin'..."
Yes. Awesome book.

My favorite story is when the St. Louis Spirits gave out iteneraries to players. Their flight was scheduled to leave 5 minutes later than it arrived because they were crossing a time zone. Marvin Barnes refused to board the flight. After 15 minutes of explaining time zones to Marvin, he said "Look, all I know is I ain't getting on no time machine." He then rented a car and drove to the game.

There are so many good stories.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:Dude is built like Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico. Google that, sit back, and breathe in the awe of the resemblance.
Come on. They didn't have cameras back then.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:As long as I'm starting, chem will be fine.
In the massively underrated book "Loose Balls" by Terry Pluto, there's a great anecdote about Fly Williams. His team was down big at the half, and the coach gave a 5 minute impassioned speech about how there was only one way for them to get back into the game, and that was to play as a team. He spoke about how they needed to rely on each other, share the ball and help on defense.

Then, just before they headed back out on the floor, he asked if the players had anything to add. Fly chimed in "you all just need to throw me the ball and get out of the way and I'll handle this."
Is that the ABA book? "Fly's open. Go Peay!"

Shortstop Garry Templeton had the right attitude when asked about the All-Star game: "If I ain't startin', I ain't departin'..."
Yes. Awesome book.

My favorite story is when the St. Louis Spirits gave out iteneraries to players. Their flight was scheduled to leave 5 minutes later than it arrived because they were crossing a time zone. Marvin Barnes refused to board the flight. After 15 minutes of explaining time zones to Marvin, he said "Look, all I know is I ain't getting on no time machine." He then rented a car and drove to the game.

There are so many good stories.
Well, with a nickname like "Bad News" ...
Last edited by gumby on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Longhorned wrote:Dude is built like Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico. Google that, sit back, and breathe in the awe of the resemblance.
Ahh. Now we know why Rawle winces when Coach stresses play execution.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Rawle looks like the muscle you send when someone doesn't pay. An enforcer. He's the guy who protects a Charles Oakley.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona's Rawle Alkins: More than just a tough guy

Monday, December 19th 2016, 2:34 pm MST
By Anthony Gimino, Special for Tucson News Now

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3409 ... -tough-guy" target="_blank
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Rawle's defense has improved a lot since the first week of the season. The way he attacks the offensive glass is incredible. The team needed him to step up and he responded.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Rawle is a much more talented Kevin Parrom ..... minus 2 inches.

And ppl forget how talented Parrom was before the gunshot wound. I was a huge Parrom fan and I think Rawle is better.

I doubt we get 4 years of Rawle like we did Kevin (2-3 likely) but his impact may be greater overall. I honestly love all 3 of our frosh and they all seem to buy into the process looking at it from the outside.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Frybry02 wrote:Rawle's defense has improved a lot since the first week of the season. The way he attacks the offensive glass is incredible. The team needed him to step up and he responded.
Sean told him that if he was going to use him as a prop in the slam dunk contest, he had to play defense. Looks like they both lived up to their ends of the bargain.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

4 years of Rawle? No way. He's gone after next year.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Frybry02 wrote:Rawle's defense has improved a lot since the first week of the season. The way he attacks the offensive glass is incredible. The team needed him to step up and he responded.
Yeah, he was a mess for the first few weeks. Still too many mistakes for my taste (his closeouts drive me mad), but he is at least cutting them down and he works hard most of the time, which is all you can ask for.
PennZona20 wrote:Rawle is a much more talented Kevin Parrom ..... minus 2 inches.

And ppl forget how talented Parrom was before the gunshot wound. I was a huge Parrom fan and I think Rawle is better.

I doubt we get 4 years of Rawle like we did Kevin (2-3 likely) but his impact may be greater overall. I honestly love all 3 of our frosh and they all seem to buy into the process looking at it from the outside.
I dont think it is even close, really. I remembered Parrom as being the better outside shooter and had to check the stats to remind myself that he shot 14% from 3 as a freshman. I was a big fan of Parrom's style and personality but I was not that high on him talent wise. Never saw him as an NBA guy, while you can see that Rawle clearly has "it" and just needs to improve his skills, especially his shooting. You are probably spot on with the 2-3 years. Love his offensive rebounding though.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

whatisee wrote:4 years of Rawle? No way. He's gone after next year.
A lot of it depends on how the drafts are looking the next few years, how long it takes him to be a consistent outside shooter and in what draft range he wants to be in at minimum before leaving. I don't think it will be four years, but I wouldn't rule it out. Dude needs an outside shot or he's not going to do anything for an NBA team, the question is, how long will that take? He doesn't do anything at a pro level right now and while size is an asset here, there are plenty of big/strong guys in the league who can match or neutralize his physicality and be as quick or quicker. Compare his offensive game to Stanley's (on a much deeper/better team too) and Stanley was more advanced offensively and IMO, a better shooter. Now look at how Stanley is doing in the NBA. And remember, Stanley was a much better defender and has more upside too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If there was a comparison that would be what Rawle could aspire to, IMO it would be Dion Waiters. Waiters was a similar guy in a shorter 2 who was physically strong.

Waiters was always very effective in the pick and roll game. Developing that and evening out his shot is the next step for Rawle. He has the ability, but he is not Stanley's height, and that matters a good deal for the next level. He's not ideal height for a 2. He isn't a super athlete, but is physically strong. The polish in his game will matter in when he ready to make the jump.

You can see him figuring it out. Already, the things like defensive technique are getting cleaner, although they aren't there yet fully.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

rgdeuce wrote:
A lot of it depends on how the drafts are looking the next few years, how long it takes him to be a consistent outside shooter and in what draft range he wants to be in at minimum before leaving. I don't think it will be four years, but I wouldn't rule it out. Dude needs an outside shot or he's not going to do anything for an NBA team, the question is, how long will that take? He doesn't do anything at a pro level right now and while size is an asset here, there are plenty of big/strong guys in the league who can match or neutralize his physicality and be as quick or quicker. Compare his offensive game to Stanley's (on a much deeper/better team too) and Stanley was more advanced offensively and IMO, a better shooter. Now look at how Stanley is doing in the NBA. And remember, Stanley was a much better defender and has more upside too.
He's already a ranked Draft prospect for 2018 on Draft Express, and if recent play is any indication. He'll be moving up that list before it's all said and done. Every game he seems to look better than he did the game before. He has handles on the dribble & of course plays physically strong. He does need to work on his turnovers & his 3 pt stroke a little, but even that shot has looked better as of late. I'll be very surprised if we keep him as a Junior
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

whatisee wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
He's already a ranked Draft prospect for 2018 on Draft Express, and if recent play is any indication. He'll be moving up that list before it's all said and done. Every game he seems to look better than he did the game before. He has handles on the dribble & of course plays physically strong. He does need to work on his turnovers & his 3 pt stroke a little, but even that shot has looked better as of late. I'll be very surprised if we keep him as a Junior

I would agree. If u asked me 5 games ago I'd say he would be with us as an upperclassman. Now, I lean more to he will be a late 1st rounder in 2018 draft.

He's never gonna be a lotto pick, but his improvement the last few games is extremely noticeable. He's one of our leaders now along w Kadeem and likely Trier when he's back.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

whatisee wrote: He's already a ranked Draft prospect for 2018 on Draft Express, and if recent play is any indication. He'll be moving up that list before it's all said and done. Every game he seems to look better than he did the game before. He has handles on the dribble & of course plays physically strong. He does need to work on his turnovers & his 3 pt stroke a little, but even that shot has looked better as of late. I'll be very surprised if we keep him as a Junior
It is a projection though, and they are projecting his plane of improvement in certain areas. You got to put aside his performance and think like a GM. At the end of the day he is at best an average sized 2 guard at 6'5 (probably 6'4 without shoes). What is he going to give an NBA team? Strength for his age? There's guys in the league who have been lifting heavy their college and pro careers. Strength combined with athleticism? See previous sentence.

He has a long ways to go defensively and his defensive potential is not through the roof due to his lack of superior length for the position. Offensively, he isn't going to bull over big NBA bodies. Yes he has superior strength and athleticism for his age, but the countless charge calls should be a warning about how things would go in the NBA. Just last night (and we have seen it at least 4 or 5 times this year), a big stayed with him and he puts up a wild shot right into the defenders hands because he is stuck in no man's land. It will be 100x worse in the league on top of that when people sag off him and dare him to shoot. He is a very streaky and inconsistent outside shooter. Stretch back the NBA 3 pt line a few more feet and it gets way worse. He hasn't shown much of a mid range game yet either. He's getting a lot of buckets in the college game by bullying his way to the offensive glass and cleaning up the scraps/putting back his missed shots. He isn't going to do much of that with the bigger bodied NBA bigs.

Rawle is a very talented player. He does a lot of things above average to good. But he is not exceptional at anything. So he needs to get something to that level that is going to make him stand out, become a much better shooter so he can put his physical assets to work because teams have to honor his shot, or fine tune and polish his entire game to be a complete player like Solomon Hill did. Rawle is the better prospect, don't get me wrong. But there have been a lot of Rawle Alkins types who end up going in the 2nd round, plenty of very good college players.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

rgdeuce wrote:
whatisee wrote: He's already a ranked Draft prospect for 2018 on Draft Express, and if recent play is any indication. He'll be moving up that list before it's all said and done. Every game he seems to look better than he did the game before. He has handles on the dribble & of course plays physically strong. He does need to work on his turnovers & his 3 pt stroke a little, but even that shot has looked better as of late. I'll be very surprised if we keep him as a Junior
It is a projection though, and they are projecting his plane of improvement in certain areas. You got to put aside his performance and think like a GM. At the end of the day he is at best an average sized 2 guard at 6'5 (probably 6'4 without shoes). What is he going to give an NBA team? Strength for his age? There's guys in the league who have been lifting heavy their college and pro careers. Strength combined with athleticism? See previous sentence.

He has a long ways to go defensively and his defensive potential is not through the roof due to his lack of superior length for the position. Offensively, he isn't going to bull over big NBA bodies. Yes he has superior strength and athleticism for his age, but the countless charge calls should be a warning about how things would go in the NBA. Just last night (and we have seen it at least 4 or 5 times this year), a big stayed with him and he puts up a wild shot right into the defenders hands because he is stuck in no man's land. It will be 100x worse in the league on top of that when people sag off him and dare him to shoot. He is a very streaky and inconsistent outside shooter. Stretch back the NBA 3 pt line a few more feet and it gets way worse. He hasn't shown much of a mid range game yet either. He's getting a lot of buckets in the college game by bullying his way to the offensive glass and cleaning up the scraps/putting back his missed shots. He isn't going to do much of that with the bigger bodied NBA bigs.

Rawle is a very talented player. He does a lot of things above average to good. But he is not exceptional at anything. So he needs to get something to that level that is going to make him stand out, become a much better shooter so he can put his physical assets to work because teams have to honor his shot, or fine tune and polish his entire game to be a complete player like Solomon Hill did. Rawle is the better prospect, don't get me wrong. But there have been a lot of Rawle Alkins types who end up going in the 2nd round, plenty of very good college players.
We can agree to disagree then, and time will be the ultimate test of his talent. Looking forward to watching how he turns out
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I agree he needs to become a great defender. That will propel him faster up the board then anything else.

He reminds me of Solomon Hill but at this early stage of his career he seems to have more upside. If he works as hard as Solo and doesn't get in that I need to go to the draft sooner then I should attitude he should he in that first round in a couple years
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RA could leave after this season. He may not be NBA ready yet, but he will be before long.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:RA could leave after this season. He may not be NBA ready yet, but he will be before long.
I think it's more likely he goes the Leonard Fournette route and announces in the next few days that he is leaving school to prepare for the draft, don't you BC?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

whatisee wrote:
We can agree to disagree then, and time will be the ultimate test of his talent. Looking forward to watching how he turns out
If I had to put money on it I would say he leaves after his sophomore season. Just saying that I would not be surprised if he was here three years, depending on how deep the 2017 draft class is and how comfortable he is with his projected draft position, both also being unknowns. Four is highly unlikely, but never say never is my point and I was just giving some reasons why.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

azcat49 wrote:I agree he needs to become a great defender. That will propel him faster up the board then anything else.

He reminds me of Solomon Hill but at this early stage of his career he seems to have more upside. If he works as hard as Solo and doesn't get in that I need to go to the draft sooner then I should attitude he should he in that first round in a couple years
Solo is a swiss army knife, but Alkins has the potential to be a more sharpened swiss army knife. The only issue is, he gives up 2-3 inches on Solo so he is more limited in the types/positions of players he can guard. Gonna be really important to be a competent defender, but really separate himself from others with his offensive game.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

nm
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

HiCat wrote:nm
Call me stupid but what does your post mean? 'Nothing more'? If so, then why post this? Thanks.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I think it means never mind, but you can actually delete posts here, so not sure why posters do that.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

UAEebs86 wrote:I think it means never mind, but you can actually delete posts here, so not sure why posters do that.
Thanks UAE......I see that elsewhere too but it neve seems to make sense to me when I consider it in the context it's used.....
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I like Rawle, but there are a LOT of talented 6'4 guys who try to make it in the NBA, and most of them don't. 6'3-6'5 wings are the most common college asset to have. We have four on this year's team and would have had five with Ferguson.

It's the deepest position by a long shot. You have to separate yourself moreso than any other position. Rawle has those tools, but an NBA team isn't going to spend a pick on a 6'3 to 6'5 wing unless that person has some aspect of his game that leaps off the page. With Rawle, it could be his scoring, but the J needs to always be there and he needs to hone the midrange game.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

No offense to Rawle because I love the kid, but he plays like a smaller Stanley, and that's not going to get you into the first round. Solo as a senior was an excellent defender who could shoot. Rawle is none of those things yet.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Bangkok Wildcat

Puerco wrote:No offense to Rawle because I love the kid, but he plays like a smaller Stanley, and that's not going to get you into the first round. Solo as a senior was an excellent defender who could shoot. Rawle is none of those things yet.
Love Rawle and his game a lot so far. So, based on the above, and from those far more knowledgeable than me, what's the current expectation for how long we will have him?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Puerco wrote:No offense to Rawle because I love the kid, but he plays like a smaller Stanley, and that's not going to get you into the first round. Solo as a senior was an excellent defender who could shoot. Rawle is none of those things yet.
Love Rawle and his game a lot so far. So, based on the above, and from those far more knowledgeable than me, what's the current expectation for how long we will have him?

I'd guess he's here either 2-3 years depending on how incremental his development is.
Bangkok Wildcat

Thanks Penn....I hope it's at least 3 years....2 years is just too short a time to get to enjoy some of these talents. I understand RHJ's decision but can you imagine having him last year? What a difference that would have made IMO.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I really hope RA doesn't leave. He currently would have trouble finding a position at the NBA level. He needs to become great at something a la RHJ and defense in order to stick. I know he is a little smaller than Kawhi Leonard, but I think RAs best bet is to attempt to Mold his game after Leonard. He needs to become a great defender and decent spot up shooter first. The rest will fall in line.

Though my take may be biased because I absolutely love what he does for this team.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

nothing about Rawle Alkins strikes me as being someone to make that kind of mistake.

There is little market for his size and skill set at his current development. Then, consider...beyond Grant Jerrett...who has declared for the NBA Draft under Miller that shouldn't have? You can make the argument for a couple of juniors (Nick, BAsh), but they were at the peak of their marketability, and a senior season wasn't going to do anything but stall their journey by a year. They had nothing to lose by leaving.

The early entry declarations of Arizona players have all made some sense. Even Jerrett was a unique skill set that is coveted in the NBA...the 6'11" stretch 4. He hadn't done much at Arizona, but his potential (and that is what this is always about) was to be a unique stretch 4. He could have used more time at Arizona, for sure. But his leaving was about what type of player he was...and Jesus Christ, of course.

But other than Jerrett, we don't have any total head-scratchers. Seems Arizona players get good advice, have coaches they trust, have belief in the player support offered by a school with 3 commas in NBA salary paid...they make informed decisions.

For Rawle or Kobi to leave, they would have to go against all of that. To ignore their limitations at this point in their career (Kobi is a "combo" guard who hasn't shown ability to play the 1; Rawle is an undersized NBA 3 and slightly undersized NBA 2 who does not have the pure physical gifts to get by as an undersized wing, and does not yet shoot well enough from NCAA three-point distance, much less NBA range.

For either Kobi or Rawle to hop, they would either have to grow some and become dead eye shooting superheroes on this team, or make a terrible mistake declaring with a ceiling of the 2nd round and a likely rough ride in Europe as a young American with an oft-duplicated skill set (athletic, weight room strong, young wings who can drive OK but shoot mediocre from distance). I don't think they are going anywhere. Unless they grow and carry the team to new heights in the post season, and as always, I am perfectly willing to trade the future of a player for the today if the today comes with banners.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Both Rawle and Kobi would likely be destined for the D-league for a while if they left after this year. No knock on them, there are just some things they have to work on/prove before you can safely say that an NBA team will use a first round pick for them in a historically deep draft and/or they get a spot on an NBA roster. While that may seem like the tougher path to most of us, we don't know their personal feelings about school, as well as their current personal situations. Athletes of their caliber generally do not lack in confidence and some may turn sound advice from coaches, scouts, etc. into motivation and a challenge to prove them wrong. Add to the fact that a player may have a family they want to move out of a tough neighborhood, or a sick family member, it is easy to see why some bounce before they really should. This also completely ignores all their friends and family who gas them up and give them bad advice due to a lack of true knowledge or for selfish reasons. I suspect both of them will be back, but the chance of them leaving will always be in my mind until they officially say they are coming back and the draft deadlines pass without them entering the full process. Plenty of ball to be played between now and then too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You get the feeling Rawle is scared to go play at Pauley?

TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Keep thinking that Rawle has a chance to become a Wes Matthews type. Long, strong, rebounding SG/SF, has defensive potential, who is a bit more athletic, and a bit less of a shooter. Thats if he keeps developing.

I think he definitely needs another year.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:Keep thinking that Rawle has a chance to become a Wes Matthews type. Long, strong, rebounding SG/SF, has defensive potential, who is a bit more athletic, and a bit less of a shooter. Thats if he keeps developing.

I think he definitely needs another year.
Rawle's biggest needs would be defensive fundamentals and a consistent J. Matthews got his first look based off his D.

I think Rawle would do himself a favor by returning, as I do with Kobi, but you never know.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

HiCat wrote:UCLA game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGwi0LPOomw" target="_blank
I think my favorite play of the game was the set play called for Rawle at the 10:40 mark of the 2nd when UCLA cut it 2. The confidence the staff showed to call th play, the confidence the team had in running the set, and the confidence Rawle had in taking th shot shows where this team is currently. Rawle had a few rough stretches yesterday but I love how he crashes the boards.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Frybry02 wrote:
I think my favorite play of the game was the set play called for Rawle at the 10:40 mark of the 2nd when UCLA cut it 2. The confidence the staff showed to call th play, the confidence the team had in running the set, and the confidence Rawle had in taking th shot shows where this team is currently. Rawle had a few rough stretches yesterday but I love how he crashes the boards.
UCLA was going under screens all game long instead of fighting over the top. Excellent coaching move by CSM to recognize that straight on three would be there. Shitty coaching by Alford all around. Which was really the theme of the whole game.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Really love how far Rawle's game has come since October. Top to bottom improvement in every area and I love the physicality, toughness and rebounding he brings. This team has everything folks, and it's hard to pick a favorite player isn't it?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Loved how Rawle's been jumping passing lanes lately. Haven't seen him get burned very often.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

love his attitude and confidence, too. even when his shots aren't falling or he gets whistled for a ridiculous non-foul, he stays focused and grinds, contributes in other ways. you don't really see him get flustered or throw out a bunch of negative body language. such a disciplined player.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Call me stupid but what does your post mean? 'Nothing more'? If so, then why post this? Thanks.

I thought nm meant "no message" if the poster did not know how to delete it completely.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

I thought nm meant "no message" if the poster did not know how to delete it completely.
I assumed it meant "never mind."
gumby

Post by gumby »

Frybry02 wrote:
Biggest shot of the game. So clutch.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

I assumed it meant "never mind."

Sounds good...let's roll with either one. :)
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

King of the boards! :o

11 pts 15 rebs 16 mins

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... fcdc5.html" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

Awesome. Precisely what was missing last Saturday.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

HiCat wrote:King of the boards! :o

11 pts 15 rebs 16 mins

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... fcdc5.html" target="_blank
He didn't really only play 16 minutes did he? No way he should be playing less than 30