España

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Re: España

Post by Jefe »

22 turnovers :lol: 14 steals though

I was messaging a couple of the coaches/managers this morning trying to find out if they were alright and didnt hear back for over an hour. Luckily Trier tweeted a few things out. That is so damn awful and that twitter video is despicable. Sad, sad day. Bring our boys home. Mataro Parc Boet didnt want none of this anyway :oops:
Last edited by Jefe on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:Good to hear you and yours is safe DC. Glad to hear all our guys and their families are good to go as well. In general Europe is just not a safe place to be at the moment unfortunately.
Safer than the U.S. though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Good to hear you and yours is safe DC. Glad to hear all our guys and their families are good to go as well. In general Europe is just not a safe place to be at the moment unfortunately.
No.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Take it to the PRB forum.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yes.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Have any of the UA players/coaches or official team social medias said the game was cancelled and they were coming home? I saw the FS AZ say that but no where else.
Last edited by SunnyAZ on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

SunnyAZ wrote:Have any of the UA players/coaches or official team social medias said the game was cancelled and they were coming home? I saw the ABC news say that but no where else.
NYCat wrote:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

NYCat wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:Have any of the UA players/coaches or official team social medias said the game was cancelled and they were coming home? I saw the ABC news say that but no where else.
NYCat wrote:
They couldn't change their return, though. Probably not much last-minute space available for a large travel group departing Barcelona at this point.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I dunno...lots of overthinking for fear of a fight breaking out over what should be pretty unified. Terrorism is terrorism. And this is unique, and not really PRB any more than it is Basketball board because our team is RIGHT THERE and this is a thread about that trip. How can this thread not be appropriate to discuss what happened in the town our team is playing in, including some early fear over whether they were involved? A game thread also broke out in here instead of in the game threads section. This is unique because of all of the factors that also included a period of fear over our own team.

I wasn't advocating getting into a battle over the source, or the factors that lead to terror, etc. Just here is a terror attack. Holy shit, the similarities are pretty overwhelming to the senses, no? Car? Crowd? All I said was "terror is terror...this is terror". That is not a political statement. Or it shouldn't be. It is ridiculous where we are that it is. Christ.

And the little "is it safer here or there?" discussion was also directly related to this basketball team in Spain...in a thread titled "Espana" on the basketball board. The hair triggers overreacted a little here. (the answer is the entire western world is actually much safer than it was 20 years ago. That is math, not politics).
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 74cb1.html" target="_blank
"The entire Arizona Basketball travel party on the Spain trip has been accounted for and is safe following the situation in Barcelona today," a UA statement said. "Our thoughts are with those affected by today’s events.

"We have decided to cancel our third and final exhibition of the tour and are currently working on travel plans to return home."

A UA spokesman said later he was doubtful the team would be able to change their travel plans so the Wildcats are tentatively expected to remain around their Barcelona hotel on Friday and stick with their scheduled flight home on Saturday.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

NYCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
That's the one I meant. Thought it was weird no one else said that but Flohoops did say we cancelled the last game.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Longhorned wrote:

lol. Somehow I get the feeling that the team will feel much safer from terror attacks once they step foot on American soil. :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Macho Grande wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

lol. Somehow I get the feeling that the team will feel much safer from terror attacks once they step foot on American soil. :lol:
I mean anything can happen anywhere sure, but just look at a timeline of events over the past 2 years in the United States and in Europe. As long as our players aren't around any sort of political rally in the U.S. the odds are they will be quite safer than they would be anywhere in western Europe right now. That's not even a political statement in any sort I'm making, that's just looking at the facts and playing the odds correctly.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Let's please stop this discussion here. Everyone knows where to discuss terrorism and murder rates.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I agree. There are threads for this incredibly valuable discussion.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Longhorned wrote:
Perhaps you should seek asylum as a refugee there away from all the dangerous evil here in the U.S. Merkel says she has room for more.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Macho Grande wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Here's the thing. Like Choo said, the chances of being hurt in a terrorist attack are basically nil. A lot of us on this board travel internationally all the time and live abroad, and I hope nobody here has been close to such a situation (I haven't). And yet today, the kids in a program whom we're all obviously familiar with and invested in were as close as you can be. And this was largely their introduction to visiting a foreign culture.

You're right, they probably want to come home, and rightfully so. I would, too. The terrorist attack today robbed people of their lives and the people they loved. It's a tragedy. I don't mean to to minimize the experience of ultimate loss, but to be real about this: Those kids we cheer for on the court lost a hell of a great experience today. Forget prep and bonding for the upcoming season -- this was supposed to be a trip they'd remember for the rest of their lives. Naturally, it was going to leave positive impressions on them about Valencia, Barcelona, and Spanish and Catalunyan and European culture and history. That's all destroyed now, and they're left with a sense of horror to associate with Spain like I and most here can't even imagine.

What Choo said about Europe not being a safe place now reminds me of my mother. She nearly had a heart attack when I went to the Syrian border a couple years back. And in disagreeing with Choo, I probably remind him of his mother, too. We're not talking about politics. But this idea of the world outside the U.S. as unsafe got reinforced today, and that's going to influence how Americans travel and limit the kind of cultural contact that, in my opinion, is an essential foundation for how we relate to the world and even our basic humanity.

As far as these kids on the team go, though... All we can do is support them. This horrible, evil, violent attack by ISIS (the worst people in the world) has taken something from them that they probably can never get back.

This violence, this pure hatred borne of the deepest stupidity, is hitting closer and closer to home for everyone. It isn't political. We have to talk and be reasonable. Bear Down.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

splitsecond wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Perhaps you should seek asylum as a refugee there away from all the dangerous evil here in the U.S. Merkel says she has room for more.
Okay, thanks for that???
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Longhorned wrote:
Macho Grande wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Here's the thing. Like Choo said, the chances of being hurt in a terrorist attack are basically nil. A lot of us on this board travel internationally all the time and live abroad, and I hope nobody here has been close to such a situation (I haven't). And yet today, the kids in a program whom we're all obviously familiar with and invested in were as close as you can be. And this was largely their introduction to visiting a foreign culture.

You're right, they probably want to come home, and rightfully so. I would, too. The terrorist attack today robbed people of their lives and the people they loved. It's a tragedy. I don't mean to to minimize the experience of ultimate loss, but to be real about this: Those kids we cheer for on the court lost a hell of a great experience today. Forget prep and bonding for the upcoming season -- this was supposed to be a trip they'd remember for the rest of their lives. Naturally, it was going to leave positive impressions on them about Valencia, Barcelona, and Spanish and Catalunyan and European culture and history. That's all destroyed now, and they're left with a sense of horror to associate with Spain like I and most here can't even imagine.

What Choo said about Europe not being a safe place now reminds me of my mother. She nearly had a heart attack when I went to the Syrian border a couple years back. And in disagreeing with Choo, I probably remind him of his mother, too. We're not talking about politics. But this idea of the world outside the U.S. as unsafe got reinforced today, and that's going to influence how Americans travel and limit the kind of cultural contact that, in my opinion, is an essential foundation for how we relate to the world and even our basic humanity.

As far as these kids on the team go, though... All we can do is support them. This horrible, evil, violent attack by ISIS (the worst people in the world) has taken something from them that they probably can never get back.

This violence, this pure hatred borne of the deepest stupidity, is hitting closer and closer to home for everyone. It isn't political. We have to talk and be reasonable. Bear Down.
I can dig this. Great points and I agree 100%. I mistook your reaction for being more political than it was, so that's on me. Bear down.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

splitsecond wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Macho Grande wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

I can dig this. Great points and I agree 100%. I mistook your reaction for being more political than it was, so that's on me. Bear down.
I don't know splitsecond, maybe my repeated conversation loop with my mom about safety is political, too. "Yes it is! No it isn't!" I also broke my promise to her about never riding a motorcycle. Thanks for the kind words.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned forgive me if I missed it, but I failed to see you explain your original point that Europe is safer at the moment than the United States. I thoroughly enjoyed your post though and agree with the vast majority of it. Fwiw I was in the Navy and have been all over so I'm not a U.S. homebody that hasn't seen the world and experienced the best of it.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Longhorned forgive me if I missed it, but I failed to see you explain your original point that Europe is safer at the moment than the United States. I thoroughly enjoyed your post though and agree with the vast majority of it. Fwiw I was in the Navy and have been all over so I'm not a U.S. homebody that hasn't seen the world and experienced the best of it.
GO NAVY Choo! Dad was active duty scholarship and service for many years before retiring as Captain in the Reserves. Too bad he was undergrad KU and MBA at Indiana, lol.

Actually managed a transfer to the English Navy Reserves for a few years when his job transferred him in the early 70's......Lord Mountbatten (not long before being assassinated by the IRA) actually requested to meet him as he was the first 'Yank' to serve in Her Majesty's Navy Reserves....really cool for Dad.

I just took advantage of the Navy Reserves during Arizona days until I blew my knee out playing hoops with a neighbor chick and was medically disqualified after about 4 years of service. I got to do Boot Camp at the same time and place Tom Cruise was filming Top Gun in San Diego in '85.

Anyways, I agree with you previous posts on world outlook having traveled many countries and lived in 3 foreign countries.....anyways, Go Navy!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Good news...all safe

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 45200.html" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:Longhorned forgive me if I missed it, but I failed to see you explain your original point that Europe is safer at the moment than the United States. I thoroughly enjoyed your post though and agree with the vast majority of it. Fwiw I was in the Navy and have been all over so I'm not a U.S. homebody that hasn't seen the world and experienced the best of it.
Hi Choo. I thought your original point was that Europe was safer than the U.S., and the reason why is because of these kinds of terrorist attacks in Barcelona, London, Nice, Paris, Manchester, etc. Those attacks hit innocent people randomly, and the chance of being a victim of one of those attacks is negligible.

When people in Europe find out I'm from Chicago (which I tell them because nobody ever heard of Champaign), they assume I'm lucky to be alive instead of shot before I boarded my plane, and that I must have breathed some big sigh of relief in the taxi after landing in Copenhagen or whatever. But the reality is my safety just got statistically imperiled a thousandfold by being in a car in Copenhagen. Same with the U.S.

As for why the U.S. is less safe, I'm not assuming an abstract subject with safety at issue to be white and non-Jewish and non-Muslim. I'm including everyone.

But if Americans avoid Europe now because of concerns with safety, they really should just stay at home and hope a chunk of airplane lavatory blue ice doesn't crash through their roof.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
But if Americans avoid Europe now because of concerns with safety, they really should just stay at home and hope a chunk of airplane lavatory blue ice doesn't crash through their roof.
:lol: :lol:

Good stuff my man. I get your point.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Most importantly, don't touch it with your bare hands.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And even more importantly...

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Great take LH

Just checked FloHoops just in case and nope, no game. When do we start the simulation?

If anyone wants my login to watch both games on FloHoops PM me and Ill send it over. It expires Sept 13th
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Fire at the airport, delays and closures: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... e-11012253" target="_blank

9pm there right now, I wonder if we are leaving first thing tomorrow morning
azdoubledown

Post by azdoubledown »

whenever comparing the US and Europe, Europe is always automatically better :roll:

see europe is super safe, just follow some simple guidelines. don't do any of these things:
-be a pedestrian in a tourist area
- be a woman on new year's eve
-be at a bastille day celebration
- be traveler in an airport
- goto a concert at a small theatre
- go to a concert at a giant arena
- go to a soccer match
- be a jew
- visit a jewish market
- draw a cartoon of Muhammad
- be a police officer
- ride a train

(this is 2014-present islamic terror)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azdoubledown wrote:
whenever comparing the US and Europe, Europe is always automatically better :roll:

see europe is super safe, just follow some simple guidelines. don't do any of these things:
-be a pedestrian in a tourist area
- be a woman on new year's eve
-be at a bastille day celebration
- be traveler in an airport
- goto a concert at a small theatre
- go to a concert at a giant arena
- go to a soccer match
- be a jew
- visit a jewish market
- draw a cartoon of Muhammad
- be a police officer
- ride a train

(this is 2014-present islamic terror)
Unlike the us where it's perfectly safe with our 100,000+ annual gun deaths and injuries.

Europe is a much much much safer place to be on the whole. Not as many crazy right wing gun toting Trump terrorists around. Which are the main terrorism threat in the US by the way.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Take it to PRB.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?